Snipers get phasewalk! And more! Why so quiet now, PVPers?

Lhancelot

Time to dust off my sniper! My favorite sorc ability is now on the sniper class! Imagine how hard it will be for you to pin down a sniper now, when they can phasewalk on top of having even better burst than before.

Surprised none of our ranked PVPers are commenting on this and other changes to some classes in PVP. Guess it's more fun to argue with other posters over semantics and other irrelevant pseudo-arguments.

This really shows the state of the game. Not one word from some of our most vocal PVPers nor any commentary from any of the veteran PVPers that once cared so much about the game.

I suppose some of them might be directly in communication with the devs and BW over some of the changes in the special forums section but it sure would be nice if some of them popped back in and became part of the forum community again.

Here's Dan Steed's thread in case anyone happens through here and wants to check out the new sniper ability.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=969206

Edited by Lhancelot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think it's stupid that snipers are getting phasewalk, I try not to complain about them too much because I don't play one personally.

I used to play the class a bit but when 5.0 came I stopped playing my sniper alts and many other alts actually.

There are snipers now that have every inch of a map mastered. They know where to setup and where to roll for maximum effectiveness whether it's attacking someone or avoiding incoming damage.

They will have the ability to either move to a more advantageous attack point, or port away to a hidden location where they can exit combat and heal up with phasewalk. They already got many ways to stay up through tunneled damage, imagine having phasewalk, how that will work out.

It's obviously a huge boost to sniper survivability, you don't need to play the class to recognize that, I am pretty sure. If anyone needed a get out of tunneled damage right now ability, merc healers do. Not snipers, lol.

Edited by Lhancelot

I’ve mentioned this a few times, it’s not like they listen tho.

Literally watched a sniper solo kite a team for a minute or so on pts, I couldn’t even play, I had heard rumours then upon seeing it I just froze and watched to see what they pulled outta the bag next lol

What next, give bk mara smash and have predation reset mad dash cd plus undying on 30s cd? 😂

Time to dust off my sniper! My favorite sorc ability is now on the sniper class! Imagine how hard it will be for you to pin down a sniper now, when they can phasewalk on top of having even better burst than before.

Surprised none of our ranked PVPers are commenting on this and other changes to some classes in PVP. Guess it's more fun to argue with other posters over semantics and other irrelevant pseudo-arguments.

You can look at my post history. I've complained multiple times about how bad madness sorcs will be, and how good snipers will be (and I play snipers in ranked). What else is there to say? The devs are making these changes regardless. Once we can actually play regs, and eventually ranked, with these changes, doubtless many of us will have more to say.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

I’ve mentioned this a few times, it’s not like they listen tho.

Literally watched a sniper solo kite a team for a minute or so on pts, I couldn’t even play, I had heard rumours then upon seeing it I just froze and watched to see what they pulled outta the bag next lol

What next, give bk mara smash and have predation reset mad dash cd plus undying on 30s cd? 😂

Good snipers can already do this, I mean wait to see the fun a decent sniper has with phasewalk it's going to be nuts!

Anyway, w/e. The only thing you can hope for is other classes get tacticals or amplifiers, or whatever else they are throwing into 6.0 that will give them equally fun and impressive abilities.

You can look at my post history. I've complained multiple times about how bad madness sorcs will be, and how good snipers will be. What else is there to say? The devs are making these changes regardless. Once we can actually play regs, and eventually ranked, with these changes, doubtless many of us will have more to say.

Why not comment in the actual thread where the sniper changes are being shown to the playerbase via the forums?

I mean what good does your posting do if you fail to put the post in a place where BW and the devs might actually run across it, you know, like in the actual thread where a BW representative is presenting the new class abilities to the forums?

Here you go, in case you missed it. ^

Don't be afraid to climb out of the PVP section, we need your voice when it comes to things like this during times like this. There's a small window to act if they are going to change anything you got to make noise now.

Don't really care to be honest. I came to terms with this games lack of pvp balance 6 months after 5.x launch, held true for 3 years. Expecting some change at this point would be patheticaly optimistic. Realisticaly I'm just happy they tried at all with sniper. We finally get an actual instana proc after they nerfed us in 4.0 stealing our no cost, 4 stack quick shot after leaving cover.... ah the good days of run and gun virulence. Edited by Seterade

ah the good days of run and gun virulence.

haha! My first sniper was a slinger dot spec, and it was awesome because I could constantly run around and found I didn't need to entrench to put my dps out. I was always up and moving it was so much fun.

Shortly after that, I think is when i then found that the dot spec merc procced a snare on all attacks and then I started really having fun on that toon, too. This was before the major changes to mercs/PTs occurred I guess.

On that slinger, I was putting up 20+ kill shots a match I really did well on that slinger it was a lot of fun.

This really shows the state of the game. Not one word from some of our most vocal PVPers nor any commentary from any of the veteran PVPers that once cared so much about the game.

I suppose some of them might be directly in communication with the devs and BW over some of the changes in the special forums section but it sure would be nice if some of them popped back in and became part of the forum community again.

Here's Dan Steed's thread in case anyone happens through here and wants to check out the new sniper ability.

Dude, I’ve been saying this for over two weeks.

Honestly I think most dedicated pvpers have left the game or will leave because they know how much of a joke some of these things are.

Hardly anyone even posts in this section anymore. I hardly post as much here anymore because you can go days with no threads even seeing activity.

You may also not know that there is even a tactical that lets the sniper phase walk reset so you get two :eek:

How about the operative with 6 rolls. (Which I know you know about).

There are so many things that are going to break pvp with 6.0 that I’m not sure I’ll even bother anymore except for laugh. Can you imagine veteran pvpers wreaking the current batch or reg pvpers just for laughs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if veterans pick some of the more weird tacticals and set bonuses just because it will be funny in reg pvp.

TBH the only way they will ever truthfully balance classes is to strip all defensives and give the same to all of them.

they would also need to set armor for non tanks to all be the same.

I think they could revamp the meta if they stripped down the classes and took some of the layers of DCDs away, especially from the DPS classes.

There was a time when merc dps were true glass cannons, and they actually needed DCDs to deal with the mara/juggs that viewed mercs as a free kill. Snipers also were far more fragile than they are now. The problem is these classes have been buffed with so many DCDs it's gone far too far in the other direction.

I know it's impossible for them to balance PVP, no game has perfect balance, but it doesn't take a SWTOR PVP expert to note that SWTOR PVP has far too much CC, CC-immunities, basically the strategy in PVP here is to beat the other classes with DCDs. Whoever has the best DCDs win, that's it. The DCDs are just far too big a part of PVP on this game IMO.

I don't understand the rational to give Snipers a phasewalk ability. Snipers are one of the top classes, and the last thing they needed was more survivability. Sorry devs, you missed the mark with this class buff imo.

sniper phase walk while useful, and while will get used isnt a threat. it just is. they didnt really need it but who cares. take a look at the only two classes to have this ability and think 1) how easy it is to counter and 2) how it was and is used by inquisitors. sins could use it to essential end combat phase and then invis out, super useful. sorcs can offheal like crazy after phaseing and come out at full hp. sniper cant do either. at best he will escape combat, and reset medpac, maybe class heal. but reality is with predation and various other movement, everyone is going to see where he puts at start and they are going to beeline that holo phase like a pack of hungry wolves on bacon. Edited by Seterade

take a look at the only two classes to have this ability and think 1) how easy it is to counter and 2) how it was and is used by inquisitors. sins could use it to essential end combat phase and then invis out, super useful. sorcs can offheal like crazy after phaseing and come out at full hp. sniper cant do either. at best he will escape combat, and reset medpac, maybe class heal

Another way to counter Diversion

Sin/Shadows will be strong in 6.0.

Can you do a video or post in the shadow forums about how in the heck we will be in a good place in 6.0? I'm not trying to troll or anything, I could just use some help seeing how we'll be good. Looking at the current imbalance, and then looking at what classes get what in 6.0, is sure seems to me that we're still going to be behind the 8 ball.

I respect your work and you know your stuff, so please give us hope :)

Can you do a video or post in the shadow forums about how in the heck we will be in a good place in 6.0? I'm not trying to troll or anything, I could just use some help seeing how we'll be good. Looking at the current imbalance, and then looking at what classes get what in 6.0, is sure seems to me that we're still going to be behind the 8 ball.

Have a read of the set bonuses, tactical’s and amplifiers that will help. I agree they may seem weak on the outside, but I think there are so good options that will surprise people, not just on Sins.

As a veteran pvper, who has actively been playing since launch I can so say this. I just don't care anymore to come to the forums in an attempt to talk about class balance here is why.

1. It is clear the devs don't actually play or keep people around who play the game frequently and often. Especially in pvp. Because if they did they would see the class selection and desparity between them. In a pve example as i also like to nim raid, a team will take to sins (tanks) over anything if you want to give yourselves the best chance of being successful. And look at that, their new items give them the ability to reset cooldowns or extend shroud. (this is not saying they should be nerfed) what i am saying is they would realize that they need to increase the utility for idk a powertech to the group. PVP we already see it in tank selection and healer selection, its gonna be a jugg and its gonna be sorc if you want to pump the most out of the game. What i am saying here is that the devs would pick this up if they played the game.

2. PVP is just not important to them. The vendors for it have not been updated in how many years now 5, since 2014. The rewards for it have diminished further and further as time went on. Very few map additions. World pvp is extinct now due to instancing and removal of pvp servers. This started back all the way to ilum.

3. They almost what feels like deliberately avoid pvp concerns at cantina tours, or anything that thinks critically of their game despite the fact that anyone on the forums and anyone showing up to a cantina tour must actually love the game enough to do those things.

4. Building on before, they don't care what we say on the forums. Or musco doesn't translate the community well to the devs. One or the other and I can't tell which one is worse. It really sucks, all i can do is come on the forums and try to communicate a thought to the devs (I am also a dev irl for games and non video game projects so i understand their work) but it feels like it's not enough or i am just talking into a void.

In conclusion when it comes to pvp, i just don't see the point and waste my breath anymore because they don't listen, it just seems like they say hey we are going to do this and thats the end of it. Then they give us this pts with a false sense of feedback that clearly gets ignored. But don't worry if someone wants to add another bikini outfit to the cartel market their design team will get right on that. I don't type this out of anger, as i am now to busy irl to get angry at them but bioware as a studio is devoid of soul and has been for sometime, and it is more evident in this tor dev team.

Edited by steveerkcanjerk

Here's an example of a set bonus that was changed and updated on PTS that will be shipping to live:

Death Knell

(2) +2% Mastery

(4) The cooldown of Recklessness is reduced by 15 seconds. Whenever you consume a charge of Recklessness you gain a stack of Reckless Critical, making your next Assassinate or Maul critically hit. Stacks up to 3 times

(6) Whenever you consume a charge of Recklessness you gain a stack of Reckless Slaughter, increasing melee damage bonus by 10% for 30 seconds. Stacks up to 2 times

And the Assassin Tactical that every sin will use:

Two Cloaks - Force Cloak has 2 charges

So basically, an Assassin is able to pop Recklessness, use up all 3 charges (Spike, Discharge, Ball Lightning, etc), and then they get 3 stacks of a buff. Each stack allows Maul/Assassinate to Auto-crit. With the crit damage bonus modifiers that Deception has, you are able to do about 52k~ damage per auto-crit Maul, meaning roughly 156k damage in 3 GCDs with just Maul alone, that's not accounting for however much damage you did with Spike, Discharge and the other ability that you proc'd the set bonus with.

But in addition to that, the set bonus feeds off itself, with the 6 piece set bonus making it so that whenever you use up these Recklessness charges, not only do you gain auto-crits on Maul/Assassinate, but you also buff your Melee damage done by up to 10% each stack (30% total increase in Melee damage) for 30 seconds.

That means that every 30 seconds, you will do 30% increased white damage for 30 seconds as well as be able to dish out 3 back to back auto-crit Mauls for about 150k~ damage, essentially letting you global people.

On top of this, healing as a whole is nerfed by almost 50% of current healing on Live, which in a way increases the burst of all burst classes since enemy's can no longer recover as easily. In fact, healing is nerfed so much in 6.0 that classes with a lot of burst like Deception Sin and Operative are able to 1v1 healers successfully, without using interrupts on any healing abilities.

Sin will be fine in 6.0.

In fact, healing is nerfed so much in 6.0 that classes with a lot of burst like Deception Sin and Operative are able to 1v1 healers successfully, without using interrupts on any healing abilities.

Sounds like fun. If this is true I will be playing dps then. :D

As a deception player who's played here since Darth Malak, I will seriously quit if this goes through. I do play a sniper too, but I have mained a sin from the beginning.

Sins still don't have an ability to replace the loss of phase walk, meaning they are still one ability behind everyone else. Sins get no new abilities to train for the last 15-20 levels of progress, outside of a skill tree.

And now to take that lost ability, not replace it with anything, and give it to a tank ranged class. Well, it's just beyond stupid and it would absolutely, positively be the last straw for this game.

I hope you do it devs, I need that final straw to finally cut the cord with this game.

Currently, the sniper class is the training wheels for PVP. Haven't seen a class since bright wizard so out of its root core which is an immobile turret class which was given goodies since it was stationary to whatever abomination it is now. My only guess is that either someone on the dev team or someone on the dev team family plays this class (and yes this has happened before)

As a deception player who's played here since Darth Malak, I will seriously quit if this goes through. I do play a sniper too, but I have mained a sin from the beginning.

Sins still don't have an ability to replace the loss of phase walk, meaning they are still one ability behind everyone else. Sins get no new abilities to train for the last 15-20 levels of progress, outside of a skill tree.

And now to take that lost ability, not replace it with anything, and give it to a tank ranged class. Well, it's just beyond stupid and it would absolutely, positively be the last straw for this game.

I hope you do it devs, I need that final straw to finally cut the cord with this game.

This is more what I meant when I said "as a Shadow this hurts my soul". I'm not sure exactly how competitive Shadows will be in 6.0, but regardless it makes zero sense to not return this ability to us, but give it to snipers. Even if you're not giving it back to Shadows, there are other classes that could use a disengagement ability like this long before snipers. I'd love to hear the thinking behind this.