I keep messing up!

Hello! I have a sniper dps and have lvld to around 40. Now I've being doing some flashpoints. But I've being kicked a lot because I'm not doing my job. I usually starts with saying Im noob, and ask them to explain how to act. But I usually dont get any answer.

How should I act to be a good Dps? What should I avoid, and what should I focus on? Im totally noob to this kind of game.

And btw.. How do I find a group for a Heroic? I see some requests in the chat, but I dont know how to join.

Thanks a lot!

Either you have run into some very rude people, or you are leaving part of the story out. I think most people would be happy to help out if you admit that you are new and ask for help.

Some basic guidelines as a DPS are:

Watch your aggro

Try to attack what the tank is attacking

Do not break CC

Let the tank pull

If you are doing those simple things, most tanks will be fine with you, and healers too. Are they saying your DPS is bad? If thats the case, then head on over to your class' section on the forums and check out some guides.

EDIT: I forgot the most important part. If you are doing a boss fight that you have not done before, ASK YOUR GROUP if there are any boss mechanics you need to be aware of. And then try your best to follow what they say.

Edited by Icebergy

Please fill me in. What is adds, cc and aggro?

Adds = any enemies that are not the boss or any enemies that are not the gold star

CC = Crowd Control. In your case, as a Sniper, you can only slice Droid enemies

Aggro = aggression. This is when enemies attack you. If enemies are peeling off the tank and attacking you, you need to use your skill 'Countermeasures' to drop your aggro; you may even need to stop DPS'ing for a few seconds.

Rule of thumb:

Tanks will attack the strongest guys first then work their way down to the weakest mobs all the time trying to hold aggro so only they are being hit

DPSers job is to kill the weakest guys first then work your way up to the strongest guy. If a straggler gets loose and is heading for your healer take them down.

At no time should you pull the mobs, that is the tanks job. Also to be helpful the DPSets should be marking their CCs and do not break other peoples CCs.

If you follow these simple rules, most people will not have an issue with you.

Also on boss fights, if you have not done them before make sure one of the more experienced players explains the fight.

Lastly, a lot of veterans will be skipping a lot of content in the flashpoints so make sure you make them well aware of the fact that you are new to the flashpoint at the beginning so they dont just run off and leave you. Most of the veterans are friendly and will help you out as long as you inform them.

I feel like you are leaving a lot of story out of your post. But from what I can guess, you sound like one of those Ultra noobs I encountered before. See if these symptom fits you:

- You have no idea how to manage your attacking skills efficiently.. Either you find yourself out of Energy all the time or you are just spamming your lvl 1 basic attack all the time while having 100% Energy.

- Press random buttons just because "they look cool" and have no idea what it actually does

- Have no idea what your class specialty is. For example, you are a Sniper, you shoot from afar, not running into melee range to use Shiv.

-You are doing a lot of unnecessary things like knocking back mobs when it is not needed. Tanks hate DPS who do that. Especially when they worked so hard to group them together and the next moment you "LOL KNOCKBACK".

----

If one or more of the above applies to you, then we have a problem. In that case, we have a classic "Learn to Play" problem and I would suggest you to read up on Class forum to learn more about your class. If above doesn't apply to you, I am going to need more information.

Edited by PhantomMalice

I feel like you are leaving a lot of story out of your post. But from what I can guess, you sound like one of those Ultra noobs I encountered before. See if these symptom fits you:

- You have no idea how to manage your attacking skills efficiently.. Either you find yourself out of Energy all the time or you are just spamming your lvl 1 basic attack all the time while having 100% Energy.

- Press random buttons just because "they look cool" and have no idea what it actually does

- Have no idea what your class specialty is. For example, you are a Sniper, you shoot from afar, not running into melee range to use Shiv.

-You are doing a lot of unnecessary things like knocking back mobs when it is not needed. Tanks hate DPS who do that. Especially when they worked so hard to group them together and the next moment you "LOL KNOCKBACK".

----

If one or more of the above applies to you, then we have a problem. In that case, we have a classic "Learn to Play" problem and I would suggest you to read up on Class forum to learn more about your class. If above doesn't apply to you, I am going to need more information.

Well, you hit me there. You know, Ive never before played with others. But since I loved Kotor and wanted to test this.

After reading all of those excellent answers I've been training. Didn't know it was so much finesse in this game! Just thought it was a very hard game. But now when reading a lot of guides and stuff, I really can admit that I don't know how to play. Just as you say I just have pressed some bottoms to do something. And since I get killed in FPs all the time I guess I have stolen a lot of aggro.

Thank you very much guys! I wont be bothering anyone before I have learned to play the game properly. :)

Edited by Rutigkille

----

You forgot :

- Random chooses skills from the skill tree without bother reading it's description.

Edited by Kirameki

the most important thing imo for a dps is knowing what to kill first. there is akill order that u must follow when clearing trash or even on some boss fights.

normal mobs always first to die.

silver mobs (strong) second

Gold mobs third

Champ/boss last

you can tell what level mobs they are by the little coloured symbol on the edge of there name plate.

follow that order and neva do anything or attack anything until the tank has and you will keep most tanks happy, if the tank happy everyone is happy in most cases :p they can be a fikle buch.

One thing I would add, is: Make sure you are wearing correct gear for your class. That is do not wear any items that belong to other classes that contain stats that are completely useless to your class. While this may have no direct impact on what mistakes you do, but it does affect many other things. The affect of correct gear on how much dps you do is one obvious thing, but not the most important. The main thing is that having correct gear can affect what kind of attitude the the other players will have towards you.

If you show up in a group wearing wrong gear (not just sub-optimal but completely wrong gear that belongs to other classes and has stats that are completely useless to your class) then you already make a bad first impression on anyone who inspects you and even if they don't kick you right away, they will be convinced that you are an idiot before you even have chance to make any other mistakes and will only be looking for excuses to kick you out of the group.

Now if you at least show up wearing correct gear for your class, the other players might have slightly more respect towards you and will be more likely to forgive a few mistakes later on.

I was a complete noob a year ago, no clue what CC, aggro, AoE, DoT or anything else was. Yet I have never been kicked from a group.

My rules are

1. Read about you class and role. There are plenty of good guides on the forum and on the internet, there is no shortage of information.

2. Check your gear. Make sure your gear is right for your class and level appropriate. Don’t be entering a level 25 flashpoint in the same gear you got at level 10 on the fleet.

3. Be friendly and treat people with respect. They are just as important as you to the groups success and have just as much right to be there. Say hello and thank you. Being a little polite makes it really difficult for people to kick you. You make a mistake, apologize to the group.

4. Do not use NEED unless it is gear that you can use (appropriate to your class and role) and it is a clear upgrade. If there is any doubt either greed or ask.

5. Kill in the right order. In most cases Weak – Strong – Elite – Champion. However, if the tank or other experience player tells you to kill something else first do it. Sometimes adds will heal or stun and the group will want to take them out first.

6. Don’t stand in AoE (areas of effect).

7. Learn to use interrupts

8. Let the tank lead and pull. Follow the tank and wait for them to pull before attacking.

9. Don’t waste the groups time. If the group is moving faster than you can do scans for crewskills then stop doing crewskills, keep up with the group and don’t go afk during the group play. If you have to eat or check the laundry, then do it before you enter group finder or before you start group play.

10. Heal between pulls (healer will love you and will be less likely to vote kick). Also know and use your defensive cooldowns, this will also make the healer love you.

11. You do all of this not only will the you be less likely kicked (unless you get some total jerks), but the game will become extremely easy both in group play, but also solo.

12. You can state your opinion, but if the majority decides something one way, accept it and do it their way. Best just to always go along with the tank in most flash points since dps is a dime a dozen.

13. Don't break CC's

Edited by mikebevo

Just throwing this out as well - remember that some of your Sniper abilities have an AoE component (such as explosive probe, grenade, etc)

I learned this the hard way when I first started FPs with my Merc - kept breaking CCs with the splash from my Missile Blast, which prior to getting Tracer was my standard high-power attack. Finally someone took the time to explain it to me. This was still around the level of Boarding Party, so not really up there, but not starting out either.

Edited by Stressfire

One thing I would add, is: Make sure you are wearing correct gear for your class. That is do not wear any items that belong to other classes that contain stats that are completely useless to your class. While this may have no direct impact on what mistakes you do, but it does affect many other things. The affect of correct gear on how much dps you do is one obvious thing, but not the most important. The main thing is that having correct gear can affect what kind of attitude the the other players will have towards you.

If you show up in a group wearing wrong gear (not just sub-optimal but completely wrong gear that belongs to other classes and has stats that are completely useless to your class) then you already make a bad first impression on anyone who inspects you and even if they don't kick you right away, they will be convinced that you are an idiot before you even have chance to make any other mistakes and will only be looking for excuses to kick you out of the group.

Now if you at least show up wearing correct gear for your class, the other players might have slightly more respect towards you and will be more likely to forgive a few mistakes later on.

in your case make sure you are wearing gear with CUNNING and not willpower or something crazy.

if you have any orange gear (like your weapon)make sure you are upgrading it as you level and don't have the level 10 mods in it or something.

if you don't know what mods are or how to upgrade your weapon then read up on it or ask.

I'm a DPS player who is relatively new the game and this thread has been helpful and informative for me. Thanks to the people who took time to explain it.

I do have two questions about what has been said here.

1. If an enemy switches to targeting me instead of the tank, is that my first clue that I was doing too much damage? Or are there earlier hints? Is there a way for a skilled DPS player to make sure they don't pull threat while still dealing an optimal amount of damage?

2. I understand from reading this thread that if I pull threat as a DPS player I should stop attacking. What should I do while I'm waiting? Attack something else, or stop attacking entirely?

I'm a DPS player who is relatively new the game and this thread has been helpful and informative for me. Thanks to the people who took time to explain it.

1. If an enemy switches to targeting me instead of the tank, is that my first clue that I was doing too much damage? Or are there earlier hints? Is there a way for a skilled DPS player to make sure they don't pull threat while still dealing an optimal amount of damage?

2. I understand from reading this thread that if I pull threat as a DPS player I should stop attacking. What should I do while I'm waiting? Attack something else, or stop attacking entirely?

It depends what type of enemy switches agro to you. If it is a strong or elite, it is probably the tanks fault for not holding agro. If its a lesser enemy, it doesnt matter how much damage you do to it as the tank will have a hard time holding agro for everything (Tank has to focus on the harder enemies). Just burst the mob down.

If you pull threat on an easy mob, just kill it. If you pull threat on a harder one, use your threat dump and/or ask for a guard from your tank.

Well, you hit me there. You know, Ive never before played with others. But since I loved Kotor and wanted to test this.

After reading all of those excellent answers I've been training. Didn't know it was so much finesse in this game! Just thought it was a very hard game. But now when reading a lot of guides and stuff, I really can admit that I don't know how to play. Just as you say I just have pressed some bottoms to do something. And since I get killed in FPs all the time I guess I have stolen a lot of aggro.

Thank you very much guys! I wont be bothering anyone before I have learned to play the game properly. :)

Some answer have been tough but somehow, it's for your own good.

Every game, from IOS to PC and console game have an optimal way to play. Game mechanic you can learn and use to your advantage.

When you play solo (or a single player game), you don't have to play optimally, just have fun, and somehow manage to finish the mission/quest/game.

When you start playing co-op, this is where it start to matter. You don't want to let everybody down and be the cause of mission failure in your group, you want to be a good and reliable group member, so people enjoy playing with you, and you enjoy playing in group.

Like other have said, in that particular game, good game play go through those steps

- first: good talents tree. Try to find a guide on your class. For exemple type 'swtor sniper guide' and reproduce the way they assign talent point. Once you are experimented, you could do experiment on your own.

- second: know how to itemize. Being a sniper, you know you want cunning, cunnincg, cunning. The other stats (strength, willpower, aim) are not for you. Then what should you favor between acuracy, crit, surge, power etc... is more tricky, use guide to help you.

- third: learn a good rotation. Using the same guide, learn how to use your abilities. A rotation is a series of abilities in a given order you have to do to maximize you damage output. Typically, you will have 5-6 main abilities you will want to cycle through. In your case, as a sniper, you have to manage your energy as as well, as a rule of thumb, your energy should never drop below half.

4th and finally. Experience. THis can only be acquire by experience. Know how to play your toon. Avoid damage area (usually something on the ground). Use slice droid to disable a droid for 1 minute and don't attack it. Attack only target other people are attacking, don't attack sleeping target. stay at a good distance from target and keep you eyes open

Good luck and don't forget to have fun.

I would also suggest joining Mr. Robot and adding your gear, if you ever want someone to help you with gear questions.

Examples two of my toons (not saying either is perfect, but I put them on there so my guild could help me optimize them). Gear is also about a month out of date.

Bremiaha

Mar'ina

Not going to put my shadow on here or people may kick her from HMFPs. :p

Edited by mikebevo

It depends - if it's a non-elite, the tank is likely not focusing on it in favor of trying to keep aggro from an elite.

For the most part, just kill it. If it's an elite or higher and is charging you or your healer, I will usually try to root/slow it so the tank doesn't have to chase it down and CC if I can, again so the tank doesn't have to run it down.

Nice part about being extreme-range DPS is that you can get a very good view of the fight and kind of see what needs to be done.

I would also look at Noxxic

I would not!

Noxxic is a terrible resource that has a lot of errors and false information, and they don't even make any attempt to correct any of that.

Well I suppose for someone who does not know anything about anything and is unable to figure it out by themselves even a terribly bad guide like Noxxic could potentially help them to improve, but even then they need to be aware that Noxxic gets many of the finer details completely wrong.

I would not!

Noxxic is a terrible resource that has a lot of errors and false information, and they don't even make any attempt to correct any of that.

Well I suppose for someone who does not know anything about anything and is unable to figure it out by themselves even a terribly bad guide like Noxxic could potentially help them to improve, but even then they need to be aware that Noxxic gets many of the finer details completely wrong.

I agree with you

Their builds are ridiculous sometimes

Edited by Never_Hesitate