Some questions about datacrons

Callimachus

I'm in Coruscant, trying to get the last datacron on this plant I have not yet collected (the one in the justicar district), and I've been at it for over an hour and it's getting frustrating. Can anyone give any tips to a not-very-young person, who has never been super coordinated and agile even back when (I'm a klutz, what can I say?), one how to make all those hoppings easier and more accurate, or is it just a matter of hoping for good luck at this point?

Also, I noticed that the datacrons that don't grant ability boosts do not unlock anything in your legacy, does that mean that unlike the others you have to keep at them with every new character? Does the benefit they give (which is what, other than the codex) worth it? Because the one in the Works was a doozie!

1. You may need to learn the three types of jump. Jumping with "Sprint" on (the most common jump), jumping with "Sprint" off (for a shorter jump) and jumping while riding a speeder (the longest jump). You may find that different sorts of jumps work best for you in some situations.

2. Datacrons are Legacy wide now, so you only need to get them on one character (or spread across several - whatever).

However Matrix Shard datacrons, I believe are still per-character. The good news is that Matrix Shards have little use any more, so you can skip them.

Also, I noticed that the datacrons that don't grant ability boosts do not unlock anything in your legacy, does that mean that unlike the others you have to keep at them with every new character? Does the benefit they give (which is what, other than the codex) worth it?

The datacrons don't grant abilities but give you stat boosts instead. Every character you have/create will have that stat boost once you get it.

Because the one in the Works was a doozie!

Wait til you get to the hot air balloon ride on Tatooine

Also keep a lookout for summons.

It does happen from time to time that people shout on flee that they are summoning to "hard to get datacrons" like Makeb for example. So keep this in mind when you see it, cause it will save you a lot of time!

Also, look for guides for the fleet datacrons. They were originally designed to be done with a group but there's guides out there to do it solo. You do need two characters of the same faction (i.e. two Imps or two Pubs) and it does require logging in and out a couple of times, but it can be done solo.

1. You may need to learn the three types of jump. Jumping with "Sprint" on (the most common jump), jumping with "Sprint" off (for a shorter jump) and jumping while riding a speeder (the longest jump). You may find that different sorts of jumps work best for you in some situations.
In addition to those, I found there were a few jumps that were "easier", for me at least, to do in "walk" mode (Not just "running" with Sprint off, actual, slower than snail's pace, "walk" mode).

2. Datacrons are Legacy wide now, so you only need to get them on one character (or spread across several - whatever).

However Matrix Shard datacrons, I believe are still per-character. The good news is that Matrix Shards have little use any more, so you can skip them.

The shard datacrons are still per character, yes. They do still give their codex entries, and some xp, though it's not near as much help for leveling as it was way back when.

Also, I believe the two "assembly chambers" are still per-character. But like the shard datacrons, unless you're desparate for that little bit of xp, or a completionist and can't stand the thought of not having that particular entry missing from your Codex, there's not much point getting them. Though they are not near so tedious to get as many of the datacrons, shard or otherwise. (Would be nice if the devs could make the Codex Legacy-wide, along with the datacrons, but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms).

Right? Do that one when you've got nothing else to do on Tatooine.

I did the cooking of my spaghetti once when I did that. :D

By the way, what I really liked to do on Taris back in the days when they were not Legacy bound, I often was showing people the place of the datachron.

I told them "that's the way knowledge and culture was spread : giving knowledge to others."

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

In regards to the matrix shards, they are still needed for the datacron master legacy title/ achivement

This. Be sure to get them if you are doing for the achievement/decoration, though the Rishi datacrons are not necessary for the title/achievement.

If you have a sage or sorceress I would advise using her as they have the phase walk ability which can come in handy should you fall but if you fall and die, doesn't help. There is one spot on the Imperial side Taris I would suggest (1) speeder or an agent to get across some areas because when you fall there, you die since it is so far up and the jumps are a bit further apart. I used my agent and her travel ability since even with a speeder I was falling.

Edited by casirabit