Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Good article, it applies to many who post here.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Good article, it applies to many who post here.

Celise's Avatar


Celise
07.13.2019 , 01:56 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
I have to say, I don't expect the developers themselves to go above and beyond their jobs to talk to players - I think that's always something that should be left up to them - but the idea that a studio with hundreds of people involved in development can't afford the budget to have a single person whose primary role is to communicate back and forth with the players boggles my mind.

In theory, intuitively, you'd think that's Eric's role, but unless he's just showing up at work and watching Netflix all day, I'm pretty sure that's not what most of his job is. Presumably he has lots of other duties (I guess stuff like writing tweets, organizing events, writing blog posts maybe, attending meetings and taking notes), which is why he so rarely communicates directly with the players.

So then you think, well why can't they have someone under him whose actual job description is just to communicate? Who knows, probably not considered to be a justifiable expense. Even though that kind of presence - if done well, by the right kind of person - could work wonders in terms of how people feel about progress on the game and concerns being heard.
Eric has been with us for a long time, i have no complaints about his performance over the years, i just have a problem that a few years back there was non-existent communication and before that BW make an assurance there was going to be communication but it dried out.

At one point this forum almost self-destructed from that lack of communication, if i hadn't of stepped in over that stupid Kotaku article a few years ago that Zion posted and showed everyone what they are doing, this place would of been a boneyard today. We can't have another situation like that develop again.

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
07.13.2019 , 02:20 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
Eric has been with us for a long time, i have no complaints about his performance over the years, i just have a problem that a few years back there was non-existent communication and before that BW make an assurance there was going to be communication but it dried out.

At one point this forum almost self-destructed from that lack of communication, if i hadn't of stepped in over that stupid Kotaku article a few years ago that Zion posted and showed everyone what they are doing, this place would of been a boneyard today. We can't have another situation like that develop again.
I don't have issues with Eric specifically, but I think he's stretched too thin and that's been clear for a very long time. Even with Tait helping out, it always felt like they were stretched too thin when I was around.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

robertthebard's Avatar


robertthebard
07.13.2019 , 02:49 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
First words said on the article: "Game developers, it's time to stop listening to the fans" and then it starts off "Don't get mad..."

It's already dead before it even got published, just on those few words alone.

Game developers rely on their customers every bit the customers rely on the game developers to bring out something good. if game developers start ignoring their customer base, you'll end up with another delta rising from Star Trek Online and that stupid meme about the playings loving DR because one of the management people in Cryptic was so out of touch during one interview that every other customer started teasing Cryptic relentlessly because the players loved DR so much.. apparently. It went from teasing to abusive pretty quickly.
You present the very reason most devs don't spend a lot of time on their forums, right there. We don't have to leave the BW community to find devs receiving death threats because some forumite didn't like what they posted. It's a classic catch 22, if they don't communicate, it's bad, if they do communicate, and say something the community, or parts of it, don't like, it's bad. You absolutely cannot build a game based on player feedback, because that feedback is going to be diametrically opposed a lot of the time. "Focus more on PvP" "Focus more on Story" "Focus more on Operations". All of these have different baseline requirements, and all of these are easily searchable right here on these very forums, so which players are they supposed to listen to?

I've seen "we need a droid class" listed as a reason people are quitting, on this forum. I've seen "we need to see our ships traveling to places in a game where the most common communication in your average FP pug is "spacebar". So there's some really crap ideas coming out of the community, and some run counter to the way the game is actually played, so they should be listening to that when they build stuff for us to do? Hell no.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Celise's Avatar


Celise
07.13.2019 , 03:55 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
You present the very reason most devs don't spend a lot of time on their forums, right there. We don't have to leave the BW community to find devs receiving death threats because some forumite didn't like what they posted. It's a classic catch 22, if they don't communicate, it's bad, if they do communicate, and say something the community, or parts of it, don't like, it's bad. You absolutely cannot build a game based on player feedback, because that feedback is going to be diametrically opposed a lot of the time. "Focus more on PvP" "Focus more on Story" "Focus more on Operations". All of these have different baseline requirements, and all of these are easily searchable right here on these very forums, so which players are they supposed to listen to?

I've seen "we need a droid class" listed as a reason people are quitting, on this forum. I've seen "we need to see our ships traveling to places in a game where the most common communication in your average FP pug is "spacebar". So there's some really crap ideas coming out of the community, and some run counter to the way the game is actually played, so they should be listening to that when they build stuff for us to do? Hell no.
Nothing saying the developers can't pick and choose some elements of some ideas, and elements of others to build something in the game for the community. recently Bioware have made efforts to communicate and get back to us with something, now we got the end of the eternal alliance and return to the old factions, old companions have returned and changes for 6.0 on PTS are going to be acknowledged as well.

When it comes to the occasional rotten apple, they can't be taken as the majority. one deranged person threatening developers is not to be tolerated, i even sent a pm to Eric years ago in support of the developer and Bioware over that whole threat a number of years ago. No one likes that type of person, no one wants that type of person. Everyone here from what i can tell are decent respectful people that enjoy having that kind of access they sorely missed a few years ago. i doubt every forum with a big game has people making any type of death threat because of a design choice.

DarthCasus's Avatar


DarthCasus
07.13.2019 , 07:05 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Who are you to make grandiose judgements about the views of the wider player base? Please speak for yourself and no one else. (I for one enjoyed KOTFE/KOTET. Not perfect for sure, but still enjoyable. Certainly wasn't "pissed")
4.0 and 5.0 killed whatever magic the game's original path had and despite have a few years to fix that, has only regressed and absolutely none of the players I knew out of the hundreds have returned. Guilds collapsed, rebalancing content poorly killed any and all options for fun besides what BioWares wants you to experience, the stories killed narratives that were left in a strong place by end of vanilla or even SoR (and I have quite a few critiques of SoR's execution on it's own) and class balance has been abysmal for a team that wasn't pumping out anything substantial (let alone wanted) for a few years.

How we still argue the merits of the Eternal family storyline when the game is in the piss-poor state it currently is in bewilders and upsets me. The few redeeming qualities it had are absolutely beaten over the head by the number of problems and the sooner we leave it all behind, the better.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop

Delani's Avatar


Delani
07.13.2019 , 07:39 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthCasus View Post
4.0 and 5.0 killed whatever magic the game's original path had and despite have a few years to fix that, has only regressed and absolutely none of the players I knew out of the hundreds have returned. Guilds collapsed, rebalancing content poorly killed any and all options for fun besides what BioWares wants you to experience, the stories killed narratives that were left in a strong place by end of vanilla or even SoR (and I have quite a few critiques of SoR's execution on it's own) and class balance has been abysmal for a team that wasn't pumping out anything substantial (let alone wanted) for a few years.

How we still argue the merits of the Eternal family storyline when the game is in the piss-poor state it currently is in bewilders and upsets me. The few redeeming qualities it had are absolutely beaten over the head by the number of problems and the sooner we leave it all behind, the better.
Do you think the eternal story line is why people left? LOL People left because of the poor decisions with gear, removing ops and weekly pvp passes, and an multimillionaire dollar expansions that focused solely on story and ignored the rest of the game.

Delani's Avatar


Delani
07.13.2019 , 07:44 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
The problem with this style of MMO is the developers expect you to be entertained by doing the same static content over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... well you get the point...
Thats what happens when you focus on developers creating content rather than players creating content. You have a bunch of impatient players who are demanding and begging for more grindy content instead of players who who find there own fun within the game. PvP is player content, RP is player content, Starfighter etc. Story, Ops, flashpoints are dev content.

Delani's Avatar


Delani
07.13.2019 , 07:45 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
IMO ... If they need to back the release of 6.0 to Dec 1... then they should. Just make sure they squash some bugs along the way !

Let's face it: Sept is not that far away. And I'm certain that BW team is acutely aware of it !
They had 3 years to work on 6.0, well be fine

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
07.13.2019 , 08:07 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthCasus View Post
4.0 and 5.0 killed whatever magic the game's original path had and despite have a few years to fix that, has only regressed and absolutely none of the players I knew out of the hundreds have returned. Guilds collapsed, rebalancing content poorly killed any and all options for fun besides what BioWares wants you to experience, the stories killed narratives that were left in a strong place by end of vanilla or even SoR (and I have quite a few critiques of SoR's execution on it's own) and class balance has been abysmal for a team that wasn't pumping out anything substantial (let alone wanted) for a few years.

How we still argue the merits of the Eternal family storyline when the game is in the piss-poor state it currently is in bewilders and upsets me. The few redeeming qualities it had are absolutely beaten over the head by the number of problems and the sooner we leave it all behind, the better.
Yup. And his angry ranting only. Proves my points, rather than refutes them.

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
07.13.2019 , 08:08 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Delani View Post
They had 3 years to work on 6.0, well be fine
Not exactly. There's some transition time between the last producer and Keith.

If you want to be fair, start counting from when Keith took over...