The next steps for the game....increasing it's overall appeal in the market

LordArtemis

Im currently rehabing my shoulder after shoulder surgery so havent been playing SW:TOR (been playing game pad games to minimize stress on shoulder) and I dare say any single player game I tried on easy setting is much much much more difficult then what SW:TOR leveling content is.

This should be a surprise to no one. Tab/sticky target MMOs are by definition going to be easier than pretty much any other genre out there until you get into the very highest levels of PvE and PvP competition.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be a surprise to no one. Tab/sticky target MMOs are by definition going to be easier than pretty much any other genre out there until you get into the very highest levels of PvE and PvP competition.

That's completely false

EQ1 and 2, AC, AO, DAoC, FFXI, Lineage 1&2, and many many many more that use the tab/sticky system were much much much harder then SW:TOR

Tab targeting and sticky targeting have nothing to do with challenge level or difficulty settings.

I get some people hate auto target (I personally hate mouse targeting) but to suggest just because its tab targeting means its easy mode is completely false.

EQ for example was more challenging then pretty much any shooter on market regardless of targeting interface.

Difficulty is about the strength and coding/ability of opponent.

The more resists and counters a opponent has, the tougher it will be

And I will say there is a great number of FPS/TPS I played with game pad that are equivalent to tab targeting because its through game pad, yet their combat set to easy is still harder then SW:TOR

SW:TOR leveling is easy because of limited mobs + high xp rewards that blast you through levels at an insane pace.

Sorry but tab targeting has nothing to do with it.

I think actually one of the things that contributed to the poor game reception was the lack of auto-attack, and that was the case only in so far as it provided gaps in the action that made combat feel "wrong" IMO.

Even if the attack always missed, it still would have been better to have the animation in place IMO.

I think actually one of the things that contributed to the poor game reception was the lack of auto-attack, and that was the case only in so far as it provided gaps in the action that made combat feel "wrong" IMO.

Even if the attack always missed, it still would have been better to have the animation in place IMO.

Heh... just shows that different players have different preferences. :)

Personally, I enjoy not having an auto-attack in an MMO. Auto-attacks generally are generally pretty gimp anyway.

Edited by Andryah

With today's server phasing technology there is no reason why an open world MMO can't have different tiers of difficulty.

I would be surprised if the Hero engine would be able to support sufficient phasing to make this practical. That engine was already old when SWTOR was released over two years ago.

And I don't see them investing the money to rewrite the portions of that engine needed to do this for an older game that had to go F2P because it drastically under-performed subscription expectations.

But it would be cool :)

I thought at first Id miss auto attack as I thought in reference to older games where you would use auto attack to regain stamina/endurance so you could utilize a maneuver

But then I got into beta and found out each class has a no heat/ammo/force/rage/what ever attack that is basically an auto attack you have to hit key to do.

So it wasn't a huge deal to me once that became clear

Kinda pain it takes up an extra spot on hot bar yes

but otherwise wasn't a huge deal to me ultimately

Though I could see players who haven't played game developing a incorrect impression of game combat (like I originally did) when reading about no auto attack.

Just one of those things that's an issue until you actually play game imo.

Cant say it improved or was detrimental to game ultimately either way

I thought at first Id miss auto attack as I thought in reference to older games where you would use auto attack to regain stamina/endurance so you could utilize a maneuver

But then I got into beta and found out each class has a no heat/ammo/force/rage/what ever attack that is basically an auto attack you have to hit key to do.

So it wasn't a huge deal to me once that became clear

Kinda pain it takes up an extra spot on hot bar yes

but otherwise wasn't a huge deal to me ultimately

Though I could see players who haven't played game developing a incorrect impression of game combat (like I originally did) when reading about no auto attack.

Just one of those things that's an issue until you actually play game imo.

Cant say it improved or was detrimental to game ultimately either way

Fair enough. For me it's an appearance issue, much like changing the trigger point from the end of the animation to the beginning. Its all about creating a fluid and epic combat appearance, and originally SWTOR was pretty close IMO. It has actually moved away from that point unfortunately.

Fair enough. For me it's an appearance issue, much like changing the trigger point from the end of the animation to the beginning. Its all about creating a fluid and epic combat appearance, and originally SWTOR was pretty close IMO. It has actually moved away from that point unfortunately.

The removal of auto attack makes combat feel less fluid and so kind of break the immersion, at least for some of us.

Still back to the topic, the game needs way more now than the mentioned "tweaks".

I remember how JTL was like a relaunch for SWG. The same can be done here by totally redoing the space content.

With a muliplayer X-Wing series for PvE, plus a X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for PvP in a XPack, they can bring in thousand of space sim lovers. Although it has to come with all bells and whistles of said versions and not a dumbed down version or a Wing Commander type.

While strange a PvP XPack could also be added. It would be a mix of World PVP, RvR and new WZ.

PvE players could also be involved, by either crafting stuff for their factions and help the war effort, or doing PvE missions.

Then you have a more RP/Social/Crafter avenue: Housing is a step in that direction, still you need things like chat bubbles, sit on chairs, macros for emotes and chat, gear tabs, separate dyes and hide gear slots, tools for RP events, better social hubs and incentives than mail boxes and GTN machines, enhanced guild tools.

Crafters could also use an advanced mode, think WildStar and SWG, but before that some of them need a better usefulness and a way less cumbersome UI.

Edited by Deewe

Crafters could also use an advanced mode, think WildStar and SWG, but before that some of them need a better usefulness and a way less cumbersome UI.

Well, you know, I posted my suggestions with respect to crafting. Would love to see a similar post from you, or perhaps you could elaborate more here.

Well, you know, I posted my suggestions with respect to crafting. Would love to see a similar post from you, or perhaps you could elaborate more here.

Fair enough.

As I'm a huge advocate of simplicity in regards of human / games interaction I'd say before anything the whole crafting UI should be revamped. In its actual state it's good for a beta release but not a gold master candidate, as least not for a AAA game.

The first thing would be to make the whole system following the same standard.

in some case the crafting level is displayed by item level in others by crafting bracket topped all this by gear level then rarity of items. It just confuses players more than anything.

I'd suggest at least dropping the crafting bracket and altogether.

Same for crew missions brackets, replace the generous and so on labeling with something like 1, 2 ,3, 4.

It's also more confusing than else.

Then add filters, check boxes, sorting options and have the system be more intelligent like: remembering the last selected filters, automatically having all top level entries collapsed (instead of needing to scroll down through them) and so on.

Have an option for missions to automatically hide the mission texts.

Does anyone reads anymore the missions texts after the first 20th ish anymore? So why are we even obliged to scroll down to check them all when the only info we need is type of mission and outcome level?

We also need to be able to display only certain types of missions, be it by crafting or mission level, by type of missions. For example sometimes we only need to find out the top ones available but for all ranks because we are just "grinding" to stockpile mats. Right now we are obliged to go through all missions levels brackets one after the others to find out what's available.

Other times we just want to check out all say artifacts missions, because we are also "grinding" for alts or guildies.

Another thing is when crafting an item needing mats from missions, a mouse over on the mats should at least display where does comes the item: crew mission and if the player has it then a click should open said mission on the right bracket with the right filters enabled.

Simply put the system needs to be way less cumbersome to use.

Now that's the first, simplest and least expensive thing to do on crafting.

Edited by Deewe

• 1 month later...

One of the big things for me that I think would improve the crew mission experience would be to add a reshuffle button to the crew mission UI, so we could have the missions respawn if we do not see the missions we want.

Right now some folks move in and out of their starship on the fleet or run level 1 missions to make the list respawn. A reshuffle button would remove the need for those rather annoying requirements.