In ranked, which is more effective: Commando or Sage for healing?

Lhancelot

I have a commando healer and a sage healer, both in mids now. Just curious which would be more effective and harder to shut down in ranked pvp. I will probably level both up to 55, but I just want to hear input on what people think and why. If you can explain why you think one is better than the other please give a reason. Thanks!

don't see many sage healers, certainly not in solo. they're a one trick pony. and if you have a merc/mando to net them, you can force them to barrier AND break very early in the fight (w/o a tank). on the other hand, I see sage/sorc heals all over regs. you'd be hard pressed not to step in their puddles. so imma assume they're just too squishy for yolo.

Go commando (merc) for ranked.

And to all the ******* claiming that the operative is the all in all.. No. Most solo ranked matches are without a tank, and a commando definitely has an advantage in such cases.

It really doesn't. Operatives can cloak and get away from focus fire for a few seconds. Mercenaries get dog piled, stunned and beaten down in seconds. Unless you have your shield and a full resolve bar, you'll never get any healing done either. You'll just be interrupted, stunned, pushed, etc, until your team wipes due to lack of heals.

For grp ranked all healers are good.

Ppl say scoundrels are fotm coz its easiest healer class to play. And this class makes bad ppl to look like they are good.

Pretty much this. I would say sage heals might be a bit better for team ranked than merc since they can get 20 seconds of interrupt immunity with Mental Alacrity (10s) > Force Potency > Mental alacrity. I know merc's shield gives them interrupt immunity but I don't recall the cd, anyway you don't want to burn a dcd just for interrupt immunity. I haven't played a merc healer very much so I could be wrong, maybe they are better in ranked, in the end it's up to whichever heal spec works best for you.

It really doesn't. Operatives can cloak and get away from focus fire for a few seconds. Mercenaries get dog piled, stunned and beaten down in seconds. Unless you have your shield and a full resolve bar, you'll never get any healing done either. You'll just be interrupted, stunned, pushed, etc, until your team wipes due to lack of heals.

With a merc if DPS can focus the op heal its easy. Just net and kill, they got 0 escapes this way. :)

Thanks for the input. So what I am getting from this is, Ops/Scoundrel healers are the easiest to get the most from, but any healer can be productive if played well... It's just harder to get maximum performance from Sage because of all the ways they can be shut down and same with Commando? Scoundrel has more forms of escape thus giving them a chance to last longer and get off their heals...

So what I am getting from this is, Ops/Scoundrel healers are the easiest to get the most from, but any healer can be productive if played well...

And this would be a lie. Do not be fooled. There is a reason the Operative is the best healer and has been for so long. Without going into major detail the greatest advantages of the Operative is that they are the most difficult to shut down BY FAR. They can heal effectively under pressure, on the move and don't have any classes in particular that neutralize them.

If you want to believe the lie and play a Merc/Sorc, be my guest. Just know that despite both the Merc/Sorc's ability to do well in SOME situations you will be exploited in ways the Operative never will.

Edited by Xeraz

Surprising to see all the Commando Group Ranked healing hatred here. With the right group Commando/Merc can be a very solid and useful healer for group ranked. It just has a much higher skill cap than scoundrel.

Sage unfortunately doesn't bring much to the table for group ranked. The only reason Commando/Merc gets the edge as the ''better healer'' to bring into rateds is because of Electro-Net.

Obviously Scoundrel is STILL the easiest and best to play for team rateds though.

Please dude because in that time your merc is dead and your team is at even more of a disadvantage.

says the sorc, merc healer is still better than a sorc healer even after sorcs recent buff. Mercs are fine in group depending who you face if the other team doesnt have zomg ez mode madness x2 you will be fine but if they do your most likely gonna lose you will be interupted or focus while the dots tick. I get alot of **** from fotm scrubs who dont really have a clue but you just gotta ignore these kids because if they actually had some skill they would man up and play a class thats not op ezmode.

Edited by Ashwinn

says the sorc, merc healer is still better than a sorc healer even after sorcs recent buff. Mercs are fine in group depending who you face if the other team doesnt have zomg ez mode madness x2 you will be fine but if they do your most likely gonna lose you will be interupted or focus while the dots tick. I get alot of **** from fotm scrubs who dont really have a clue but you just gotta ignore these kids because if they actually had some skill they would man up and play a class thats not op ezmode.

It's not like bodyguard mercs last much longer against focus fire from a pair of deception assassins. You don't need to be in madness spec to hit the jolt button. If anything, Deception is way better for taking out merc healers than madness, because you can just take turns controlling them with low slash, electrocute, AND whirlwind. With low slash on the table, the road to max resolve can often be long and painful for the other members of your team who aren't getting any heals while you watch them all die as you ride the mez train. In so many ways, playing deception is way easier than playing madness because you don't have to worry about anything like death field accidentally clipping someone in CC.

It's not like bodyguard mercs last much longer against focus fire from a pair of deception assassins. You don't need to be in madness spec to hit the jolt button. If anything, Deception is way better for taking out merc healers than madness, because you can just take turns controlling them with low slash, electrocute, AND whirlwind. With low slash on the table, the road to max resolve can often be long and painful for the other members of your team who aren't getting any heals while you watch them all die as you ride the mez train. In so many ways, playing deception is way easier than playing madness because you don't have to worry about anything like death field accidentally clipping someone in CC.

Im not talking about a merc having to deal with focus fire. When dots are spread around while being interupted can be an issue.