Gearing/Bolster/Design/Comms Change Proposal

L-RANDLE

TLDR Version.

OP wants to raid all day and then be able to participate in PVP/OWPVP with PVE Raid gear only slightly below the best PVP gear available that the rest of us have to earn.

Simply put, your long post isn't going to happen and is a very bad idea. In my opinion you rolling into any wz or owpvp zone with that gear should cause you to get completely destroyed by anyone in full PVP gear. In fact you shouldn't get ANY bolster at all. You play PVE, you Raid computer bosses tied to scripts and that's all your gear should be good for. When I go into any PVE area, raid, whatever in my PVP gear I can't keep up with people in full Raid gear and you know what? Good, I shouldn't be able to unless I spend time grinding out the raid/pve sets. I don't want a bolster, I don't want hand outs.

If the game is too hard for you and you think you're entitled to a handicap in pvp (bolster/pve gear being viable) you should just quit playing mmo's all together. Just because you're probably used to free handouts/welfare/whatever IRL doesn't mean you're entitled in video games too. EARN IT.

So much wrong, where to begin?:rak_02:

1. I have 6 toons with 80+ valor, i.e. I PvP a lot. Your response is the default response of a person that has no idea how lopsided stat deltas impact EVERYONE'S game.

2. I "earned" my BiS PvP gear just like everyone else did, but that doesn't give me the right to stomp other players in OW or WZ. My skill/game knowledge should determine that, but I know that might be a hard concept to grasp in a PvP scenario, but please try, mkay.

3. Speaking of "earning" gear, it's ironic that you would insinuate handicaps are bad, when your own statements see nothing wrong with..... wait for it...... having handicaps in the game. So who really needs it? You or me? Do I need make a SWTOR parking spot for you? I know, I know, you "earned" the right to stomp people because you play a lot..:rolleyes:

4. Contrary to popular belief, PvP/=MMO (in the traditional sense). You can't determine skill/ranking if gear stats is the deciding factor. Show me another non-MMO PvP game that has this type of issue? I'll wait.

5. This very issue is why PvP quality is bad. As soon as a raider shows up in a WZ, the other team now has, as you put it, a "handicap", as there is no possible way to overcome the stat delta. Regardless of the reason, they SHOULD be on par with everyone else, but they aren't. If player A wear raid PvE gear, player A performance will be x better if bolster was properly adjusted for their gear. Right now, there are zero restrictions for joining any que. If you care enough about PvP to want new players to have a somewhat balanced experience, then you can't have restrictions, so........ you need to have a proper baseline for their good, my good, and yours.

Get your mind right.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much wrong, where to begin?:rak_02:

1. I have 6 toons with 80+ valor, i.e. I PvP a lot. Your response is the default response of a person that has no idea how lopsided stat deltas impact EVERYONE'S game.

2. I "earned" my BiS PvP gear just like everyone else did, but that doesn't give me the right to stomp other players in OW or WZ. My skill/game knowledge should determine that, but I know that might be a hard concept to grasp in a PvP scenario, but please try, mkay.

3. Speaking of "earning" gear, it's ironic that you would insinuate handicaps are bad, when your own statements see nothing wrong with..... wait for it...... having handicaps in the game. So who really needs it? You or me? Do I need make a SWTOR parking spot for you? I know, I know, you "earned" the right to stomp people because you play a lot..:rolleyes:

4. Contrary to popular belief, PvP/=MMO (in the traditional sense). You can't determine skill/ranking if gear stats is the deciding factor. Show me another non-MMO PvP game that has this type of issue? I'll wait.

5. This very issue is why PvP quality is bad. As soon as a raider shows up in a WZ, the other team now has, as you put it, a "handicap", as there is no possible way to overcome the stat delta. Regardless of the reason, they SHOULD be on par with everyone else, but they aren't. If player A wear raid PvE gear, player A performance will be x better if bolster was properly adjusted for their gear. Right now, there are zero restrictions for joining any que. If you care enough about PvP to want new players to have a somewhat balanced experience, then you can't have restrictions, so........ you need to have a proper baseline for their good, my good, and yours.

Get your mind right.

Bro, don't even try to make sense with that person...from their post you can clearly see that their reading comprehensive is close to none. I don't even know how it's possible to misunderstand so much of such a short piece of writing as your Original Post. :jawa_confused:

TLDR Version.

OP wants to raid all day and then be able to participate in PVP/OWPVP with PVE Raid gear only slightly below the best PVP gear available that the rest of us have to earn.

Simply put, your long post isn't going to happen and is a very bad idea. In my opinion you rolling into any wz or owpvp zone with that gear should cause you to get completely destroyed by anyone in full PVP gear. In fact you shouldn't get ANY bolster at all. You play PVE, you Raid computer bosses tied to scripts and that's all your gear should be good for. When I go into any PVE area, raid, whatever in my PVP gear I can't keep up with people in full Raid gear and you know what? Good, I shouldn't be able to unless I spend time grinding out the raid/pve sets. I don't want a bolster, I don't want hand outs.

If the game is too hard for you and you think you're entitled to a handicap in pvp (bolster/pve gear being viable) you should just quit playing mmo's all together. Just because you're probably used to free handouts/welfare/whatever IRL doesn't mean you're entitled in video games too. EARN IT.

You ought to think about preparing a plate for you to eat those words.

L-Randle has a completely valid point, Raid Gear and PvP gear SHOULD have NO difference. But since Bio-Fail has yet again put in another retarded system into this game that requires MORE gear grinding, Aka PvP Gear, we cant have that, now can we?

Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR

TLDR Version.

Meth is a hell of a drug...

Here's a suggestion for you. First, read the post. Second, get a clue who you're talking about. Third, maybe YOU can write a post that actually gets stickied by the devs and help half the PvP population (if not more) get better at understanding bolster.

Not that Randle can't take care of himself, but when you get the point where you've put in even 1% of the effort he has into trying to help the rest of us, maybe someone might think of taking you seriously.

Meth is a hell of a drug...

Here's a suggestion for you. First, read the post. Second, get a clue who you're talking about. Third, maybe YOU can write a post that actually gets stickied by the devs and help half the PvP population (if not more) get better at understanding bolster.

Not that Randle can't take care of himself, but when you get the point where you've put in even 1% of the effort he has into trying to help the rest of us, maybe someone might think of taking you seriously.

Nope, I'm just a welfare case, that got "his" hard earned money from Obama to buy SWTOR Collectors Edition, pay 100/month for interwebs, and a $800 rig specifically for this game.

I just wish the real Uncle Sam saw it the way he does... :D My tax bill would be WAAAAAY underpowered, which would be a win in my book.

BTW, nerf taxes, SMH....:D

I agree with almost everything Randle said, but I do have some issues with players in top tier pve gear getting any where close to the same stats as the best pvp gear in a wz. I say that because if they have the time to get that gear from op's then I have to believe they have time to get pvp gear. The problem is they refuse to use the pvp comms to buy pvp gear. To be quite honest, I am not sure how you would fix this problem in regular wz's. I do think that solo ranked should have a gear check to que, as that would solve a huge problem there. There need not be a gear check for grp ranked, cause that would obviously be on the team and not a single player.

The question I ask the most to pve'ers and I always get the same response, "Is it ok for a player to raid in PvP gear?" The overwhelming answer is absolutely not. The question I then follow up with is, "Then why do you think it is ok to join wz's in your pve gear?" The answer that I almost always get is, "oh boy we have another qq'er". But I'm not qq'ing, I am being very reasonable I believe. You have the ability to kick me from your ops group if my gear isn't good enough or I don't perform well enough, however we cannot kick you out of a wz for those same reasons.

Giving those players anything close to the same stats in pvp I truly believe would make all pvp gear completely useless. You can adjust what EXP does, it does not have to give players a 60% damage boost, in fact, if all it did at 2018 was reduce the dmg taken by other players by 25% even, I think that would be a sufficient separation between the 2 sets. You could still bolster lower gear to a baseline stat, which should be just below the first tier of pvp gear available, or make the first tier available craftable. Either one of those options would greatly increase the viability of new players hitting 55.

As Randle kindly pointed out with the excerpts, you cannot make players do anything, much less buy gear, so why try to change the game to benefit those players? That would be the question I implore. I apologize for the lengthiness, but I thank you for taking the time to read this.

Edited by Solarth

I largely agree with you Randle, but I just wanted to present another similar idea.

I believe that an MMO with vertical gear progression (that is, power increases as you progress) should have all end game gear be absolutely equal regardless of method of acquisition. Under this method the top tier PvP gear would be 78's and there would be no expertise. You just have to balance the time of aquisition between raiding, crafting, and PvP. Therefore someone who end game raids will have the same gear as a PvP player who plays regularly.

This allows any player, regardless of their preferred type of play, to have gear that allows them to participate in the whole game without having to grind a part of the game they don't enjoy as much to participate. This would also instantly make every crafting discipline viable. It's the most simple and most easily understood system imaginable and would overall help the game greatly.

I think COD is ten times worse for a new player. In contrast to this game you actually have to have some form of "map awareness" in FPS'es, something you can't possibly have if you've never played the game before. On top of that you're stuck with a crappy weapon against people who have maxed out all their perks/unlocks.

I think COD is ten times worse for a new player. In contrast to this game you actually have to have some form of "map awareness" in FPS'es, something you can't possibly have if you've never played the game before. On top of that you're stuck with a crappy weapon against people who have maxed out all their perks/unlocks.

COD has "bolster" in the form of Nades, and noobtubes. Even the Noob has a shot to kill someone. Would a non-bolstered player or raider have any shot at downing a PvP geared player?

Nope. The stat delta is way too high in this game. The delta in those perks and weapons are minor compared to the meta of COD. If you are in a tight map, your playstyle is run and gun, you ain't bringing rifle...

In terms of accessibility, SWTOR PvP and CoD are about the same.

COD has "bolster" in the form of Nades, and noobtubes. Even the Noob has a shot to kill someone. Would a non-bolstered player or raider have any shot at downing a PvP geared player?

Nope. The stat delta is way too high in this game. The delta in those perks and weapons are minor compared to the meta of COD. If you are in a tight map, your playstyle is run and gun, you ain't bringing rifle...

In terms of accessibility, SWTOR PvP and CoD are about the same.

Got tbh, you lost some cred with me by even responding to a post that compares a FPS with a MMO.......

Edited by Solarth

Got tbh, you lost some cred with me by even responding to a post that compares a FPS with a MMO.......

Which is part of the problem.... MMO are regarded as some holy grail to gaming, but when it comes down to the come down the basis of this discussion is about stats in PvP. Genre is irrelevant, and being an MMO is irrelevant as well.

I still can't think of one multiplayer game where stats can very so wildly based on a few mechanic issues.

Only in an MMO? Well maybe everyone else has it about right. There is a reason games like Madden, COD, Street Fighter, et. al. are insanely popular..

• 6 months later...

Randle, you are basically saying give more bonuses to raiders that do pvp

A lot of people that do pvp are not raiders, so you are saying that people that spend big part of their endgame because of pvp, will have to be forced to get top tier pve gear to be pvp effective

This is nonsense

PvP gear needs to be in game and needs to be on par with top raider and bolster out of 55

PvP must be competitive, not everyone is equal in PvP. As much as not everyone is equal when joining a raid.

You get gear checked and what not.

Why these people should feel like they do not need to prepare to do some serious PvP ?

Well thought out Randle, but I think it's still just would be another overly complicated mess to most people. Really; it isn't now as long as you know not to use any PVP gear older than currently attainable, and no mods above around level 68 and you will be decent. EDIT: Oh and don't mix mods with expertise with mods that dont in a single piece. It's only if you really want to game in inches for the most part where it gets tricky, and thats the part I don't like.

Needs to be cut and dry. PvP is BIS. Everything else bolstered stats locked to just 2% below tier one PvP gear regardless of level.

10000 times this

Easy peasy