Give us the option to build our own strongholds

MigkadeGulseak

Allow us to buy a flat area of land and purchase walls, roofs, floors, doors, etc. to build our own strongholds. This area would need to be hook free as it would be difficult to build when restricted to certain positions (we could have the option to place the hooks ourselves). Decorations and building items could be aligned by providing a toggleable grid.

Pre-made strongholds would still be available so players don't have to build their own if they don't want to but the option gives us the chance to have our ideal strongholds if we're willing to build it ourselves or don't like any of the current options.

I don't know much about coding but flat land probably wouldn't take long to make so flat strongholds could be released quickly without taking too much time away from making new pre-made strongholds.

Edited by MigkadeGulseak

You just blew my mind-kaboom!

Pick a planet

Choose between small, medium and large plots

Choose architecture

Choose landscape.

Place hooks where I want.

You give me dev powers to create my own stronghold and I'll never leave my house again. Fire dept will have to come break down my door due to the unusual smell.

Seriously though, that is the most excellent idea i've seen in a very long time. An advanced SH editor would put life back into this game.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

This sounds very nice in theory, but would be an absolute nightmare to get working properly.

Consider how long it takes professional designers and engineers to build a new stronghold, with it's multiple iterations and minimal chances to get hung up on random objects (which btw, is also the reason for the hook system). All this with development tools that have been built and iterated on for years.

Way to dream big, but this doesn't sound feasible.

Consider how long it takes professional designers and engineers to build a new stronghold, with it's multiple iterations and minimal chances to get hung up on random objects (which btw, is also the reason for the hook system). All this with development tools that have been built and iterated on for years.

Instead of development tools, the walls, roofs, floors, etc. could be decorations so special tools don't need to be implemented (except for a hook placing system). If people want to spend ages building, they would at least have the option to do so.

Instead of development tools, the walls, roofs, floors, etc. could be decorations so special tools don't need to be implemented (except for a hook placing system). If people want to spend ages building, they would at least have the option to do so.

It's not that simple I'm afraid. In order to implement this it would require them to implement free-form placement. If this was simple to do, we wouldn't have the hook system in the first place.

Handling collisions between different structural pieces (walls, roofs etc.) would be a challenge, and the various dynamic pieces (decorations) would be highly prone to causing "stick" zones where you can easily get stuck (already a problem even with a hook system)

Not impossible, or even a bad idea in of itself, it's just you can (and people have) made entire games on this kind of system.

Edited by MadDutchman