About to hit 50 Merc...

Daforcenator

As a level 50 Arsenal Merc, full BM and WH chest (1.1k Expertise 17k Hp), I finally have gotten to a point that is very good. Arsenal in my opinion at a higher spec is a very survivable class with it's own heals and shields. Also, when Tracer stacks on your opponent and you have the Rail Shot increase stacked, I can usually put out about 8-12k Damage in under 3 seconds. But, it's a very rare situation and the class has a lot of heat problems. Also, if you run into a class that knows how to interupt/stun you, you're going to have a bad time.

Hope this gives a little insight on Arsenal if you're considering it for your class.

Want to get into strictly PVP. A generally glance at the forums and it appears arsenal (which I am speced) is in bad shape?

So, what spec should I go in? How is Merc healer in PVP?

Thanks.

You should pick a different class then. The merc class is by far the worse class for pvp. Pretty much 0 survivability and bad DPS. Yes, yes, some of you guys can get decent DPS in warzones, but I bet you're always falling behind a Powertech or Murader. Lets also not mention that Mercs are the worse healers too. Bioware really screwed up this class with 1.2 and are showing no signs of fixing it. For god sakes they even nerfed the radius of Death from above.... Is that something that really needed to be nerfed?

Merc healer is viable if you master your class. Mercs can tank through more damage than operatives and healers, however they are less mobile than operatives (I'm not sure how the mobility of a merc healer compares with a sorc healer in PvP, but I believe their mobility are approximately similar). Mercs are very useful when used in combination with a tank who knows what he's doing, as you (the merc) can stand relatively close to him and benefit from his guard and 50% damage transfer. You can also buff your energy shield to make your heals uninterruptable (using this with full resolves gives you the equivalent of a temporary "boss immunity" where interrupts, stuns and KBs have no effect), which makes you a very potent duo with a tank. I personally do think operatives are the most viable healer in PvP, but mercs aren't far behind if played by someone who knows their class very well and learns how to stand their ground as a healer well needed, and LoS when needed. With operatives and sorcs, you LoS and run away far more compared to a merc. As for arsenal spec in PvP, there is an over-reliance on channelled abilities which are too easy to interrupt/KB/stun etc making the spec useless for PvP (spoken from experience). A tip though : Avoid using rapid shots to heal people, it gives you away as a healer, either use your main heals then allow your heat to cooldown by doing a little DPS. Only use rapid shot heals where you are CERTAIN no enemies can see you doing it. Those little green bolts from rapid shot heals are planting a big target on yourself.

As for pyrotech, I cannot advise, having not tried it, but having seen that the majority of powertechs use it, I can only imagine it will be just as effective with mercs...