Healers NOT Always priority target and why!

seefouruno

Many people obsess over the notion that healers must be stopped AT ALL COSTS RAMBO OMG!!!!!!!!

Well, that isn't always the case. If you,say, CC the healer after you DPS them to about 50%, why not kill their teammate that now isn't able to be healed and probably will not get heals as self-preservation instincts apply in video games as well! Chances are, the healer will heal themselves while their teammate dies. As a gunslinger, my priorities are:

1) Other Snipers/Gunslingers, sages, and operatives (healing versions)

2) Commando Healers, Maras, sents, assasins,PT

3)Bad DPS specs

4)DPS commando

CC priorities (above were kill priorities)

1) Healers, assassins, mara/sents

2) All other classes unless i am in immediate danger!

TL;DR: Use common sense to determine who should be the kill target, don't tunnel vision into a healer/other class

P.S Operatives will always stunlock you until you until you unsub, so make sure to use the endless cc chain ability that people on these forums always complain about

-seefouruno

Edited by seefouruno
clarify

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people obsess over the notion that healers must be stopped AT ALL COSTS RAMBO OMG!!!!!!!!

Well, that isn't always the case. If you,say, CC the healer after you DPS them to about 50%, why not kill their teammate that now isn't able to be healed and probably will not get heals as self-preservation instincts apply in video games as well! Chances are, the healer will heal themselves while their teammate dies. As a gunslinger, my priorities are:

3)Bad DPS specs (Lightning Sorcs)

4)DPS commando

TL;DR: Use common sense to determine who should be the kill target, don't tunnel vision into a healer/other class

P.S Operatives will always stunlock you until you until you unsub, so make sure to use the endless cc chain ability that people on these forums always complain about

-seefouruno

Fixed that for you. No need to dance around it, I know I am a free kill.

Edited by Rincewend

3)Bad DPS specs

4)DPS commando

-seefouruno

Because you're never going to be this coordinated in a normal WZ.

Sure you can try and CC healer when they hit 50% and swap to a dps, but your pug teammates will just break the CC and it will turn into all kinds of fail.

Also, a dps commando (especially gunnery) should be waaay higher on your priority list of dps targets to kill. They're easy as hell to kill and will drop quick, but they do really good dps when left alone (just as good as sniper's dps, but sniper is harder to kill).

CCing the healer works when the rest of your team is bad enough to ignore them being there. It happens. I will CC them, then help finish the tank, watching to make sure the healer doesn't break, ready with an interrupt or another CC depending on resolve.

I was Pugging last night with my operative healer. While healing my team, I saw a sage healer standing uncontested. So I ran up to him, interrupted his heal, target teammate in need of heal, debilitate the sage, target teammate in need of heal when the sage used his breaker for debilitate, I flashbanged.

For 10 straight seconds (half a debilitate and full 8 seconds of flashbang), the other team didn't get heals, we creamed them and healer was last to go.

Also, a dps commando (especially gunnery) should be waaay higher on your priority list of dps targets to kill. They're easy as hell to kill and will drop quick, but they do really good dps when left alone (just as good as sniper's dps, but sniper is harder to kill).

Word this. My main is a gunnery commando, and I can lay down some GNARLY damage if I'm ignored for a little while. If I see an Arsenal mercenary, I put him fairly high on my priority list, because if I can get the jump on him he's toast, and if I don't do something he'll shred my teammates.

Anyone that thinks there is a set priority list is only gimping themselves and their team.

I don't think that's the spirit of this thread. The point is that there should be a heuristic hierarchy based on shutting down the other team's good players and disrupting their synergy. This is done by making their healer panic and neglect their team while also keeping him/her CC'ed. However, it's so difficult to get pugs to focus fire since they are like those dogs with the cones around their heads. And as someone else already mentioned, good luck trying to keep them from breaking your mezzes.

I would settle for people prioritizing the person with the lowest health. Even if a healer is nearby, getting 3 ppl to attack one target is a pretty sure way to kill it.

But in pugs, it seems everyone would prefer a fresh, untarnished punching bag to try their PvE rotation on.

Can't even begin to count the number of WZs where I'd be healing well, so I'd end up marked and focused the rest of the match. Now more of my teammates are freecasting and EZ-capping. The better we'd do, the more they'd focus on me.

I doubt any of those dummies will read this, but I'd like to thank them for making our wins easier.

Edited by Joesixxpack

If you,say, CC the healer after you DPS them to about 50%, why not kill their teammate that now isn't able to be healed and probably will not get heals as self-preservation instincts apply in video games as well!

1. If you are talking about CC which does break on damage - good luck with that in a PUG.

2. If you are talking about damage friendly CC (e.g.stuns) - why not kill the healer instead of switching targets - after all, you already have him on 50% and just CCed him?

I agree, though, that common sense should dictate the target in each situation and no preset list of priority targets. Therefore, I do not understand why you have included a list yourself.

Really? as good as a sniper's dps? How do you match their dps output with 1/2 the tools and 1/2 the damage?

One place I think you should pretty much ignore the healer (except for some CC perhaps) is on Voidstar defense. Cause if DPS is running around chasing their healer, the other team is free to kill your healer. And once your healer is down, the rest of your team will steadily drop. Better for you to try to keep their DPS off your healer.

It doesn't matter if their team is alive, as long as yours is too.

Edited by Daphnis

Really? as good as a sniper's dps? How do you match their dps output with 1/2 the tools and 1/2 the damage?

Easily. A gunnery commando freecasting and left alone will utterly destroy people, much like a sniper.

Easily. A gunnery commando freecasting and left alone will utterly destroy people, much like a sniper.

To add to this, I'd say that a Gunnery Commando will not only lay out loads of damage if left alone, he'll also expose his targets to extra damage from his allies. A standing 20% armor debuff, same as the Sniper gets (but with the advantage of being UNCLEANSABLE*) will hurt pretty badly in a large brawl.

*The one nice thing the Commando has against the Sniper is the ability to cleanse Shatter Shot and DoTs.

To add to this, I'd say that a Gunnery Commando will not only lay out loads of damage if left alone, he'll also expose his targets to extra damage from his allies. A standing 20% armor debuff, same as the Sniper gets (but with the advantage of being UNCLEANSABLE*) will hurt pretty badly in a large brawl.

*The one nice thing the Commando has against the Sniper is the ability to cleanse Shatter Shot and DoTs

BUT VERY RARELY will a commando NOT be attacked.

A sniper has better burst, cc immunity, more group utility and cover, not to mention and AoE damage reduction (20%) and a shield/ white damage immunity.

Commando: 25% damage reduction, 15% heal over time, susceptible to interrupts, heals which aren't very large, and pretty much no mobility. Which is more useful?

EDIT: Not to mention the high resource cost of all a commando's abilities. AND Shatter shot is a 4.5 sec. cd, and an about 1.5 second cast that stacks 3 (talented) times for 20% armor reduction = 4.5 seconds of grav round, before GCD

Edited by seefouruno
more info

Kill target priority changes depending on the situation. Having a team that realizes that and prioritizes accordingly with focus fire is 75% of the battle in ranked warzones.

Even without CCing the healers, classes like Pyro PTs, dps sorc, merc dps (why in gods name would there be one of these in ranked though.. idk), etc, are easy to burst down. I don't care how godly your healer is, if everyone swaps to a target that does not have cooldowns up, and you have 1 ranged + 1 PT and 2 smash on him, he is going to die.