Anyone test SWTOR yet on one of the new Ryzen Processors?

ZionHalcyon

You know they were only released yesterday?

People usually want to read bench test reviews before jumping in. Which I have already.

Early reports are good and I would say you’ll have zero problems with a Ryzen 3000

The testing I’ve seen so far indicates that i7 5770k, i7 8700k and above still out perform the new Ryzen in 1080p monitor resolutions, but only by a small amount. You probably wouldn’t even notice.

Of course if you are playing at higher resolutions, then the Ryzens are beating them in some games by a big margin or are close to tied in performance.

I would recommend them for gaming in general. Wether they are better than intel in this game? I’ve seen no testing and it’s best guess. But they aren’t like the old AMD CPUs that swtor hated. If I was building another PC for myself, I would definitely consider and probably buy the Ryzen

Why? Pay more for no reason.

AMD looks to have beaten or drawn even with Intel on performance now. And they are cheaper. The new chipset on the MB’s has PCIe 4.0.

If I was the OP, I would be going Ryzen 3700x

Its unproven especially in TOR which is what the OP is asking.

Any answer here is guessing unless someone replies that has one.

So the safe bet is to buy Intel which is proven.

Its unproven especially in TOR which is what the OP is asking.

Any answer here is guessing unless someone replies that has one.

So the safe bet is to buy Intel which is proven.

I’ve been doing some research and they are just as good in 32 bit CPU intensive games as Intel.

Normally I would agree with you but TOR has some weird CPU bottlenecks.

I don't think you can trust anecdotal evidence in this case.

No.

SWTORISTA runs a Ryzen 2600x and has no issues with frame drops - very smooth.

The original Ryzen processors had this as well.

I am curious what the new Ryzen processors look like since their single core performance is improved.

Intel processors have a lot of uneven spikes in this game that Ryzen processors don't do - so a lot of the microstutters don't happen on Ryzen processors.

So please don't shill for intel here - I'm not buying it.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

You know they were only released yesterday?

People usually want to read bench test reviews before jumping in. Which I have already.

Early reports are good and I would say you’ll have zero problems with a Ryzen 3000

The testing I’ve seen so far indicates that i7 5770k, i7 8700k and above still out perform the new Ryzen in 1080p monitor resolutions, but only by a small amount. You probably wouldn’t even notice.

Of course if you are playing at higher resolutions, then the Ryzens are beating them in some games by a big margin or are close to tied in performance.

I would recommend them for gaming in general. Wether they are better than intel in this game? I’ve seen no testing and it’s best guess. But they aren’t like the old AMD CPUs that swtor hated. If I was building another PC for myself, I would definitely consider and probably buy the Ryzen

You do know people waited in line at Microcenter on 7/7, and that people who wait in line likely built their systems that day?

In general, prior generations of Ryzen won't produce as high FPS as intel, however they also don't dip as low as intel either. Those who have them tend to mention that if they turn off the FPS and don't watch it, the gameplay is generally very smooth.

Swtorista also plays with a 2nd gen Ryzen:

No.

SWTORISTA runs a Ryzen 2700x and has no issues with frame drops - very smooth.

I am curious what the new Ryzen processors look like since their single core performance is improved.

Intel processors have a lot of uneven spikes in this game that Ryzen processors don't do - so a lot of the microstutters don't happen on Ryzen processors.

My personal experience with AMD has not been good and I don't trust their products at all.

The OP can do what he or she likes I am just advising caution with new products.

My personal experience with AMD has not been good and I don't trust their products at all.

The OP can do what he or she likes I am just advising caution with new products.

To each their own. I have had great experiences with AMD myself.

I started building computers in the late 90's with AMD products. It took a long time for me to switch to Intel and Nvidia.

I honestly think the pendulum is starting to swing back towards AMD from Intel for the cost vs performance ratio.

Not sure about the graphics cards yet.

Intel is still slightly better for gaming, but there's more to it than that. If you want the absolute best performance you'd need to get an i9-9900K (and expensive motherboard). But, if you can't or won't spend that much, then it becomes a matter of price versus performance, and generally speaking the Ryzen chips have a much better price/performance ratio than Intel.

Also, even when the Intel chips are faster, it's only by very small margins and margins you won't really notice. In the past - in the era of the AMD FX processors - the AMD chips sucked compared to Intels. Nowadays the differences are relatively minor. Does it really matter that an AMD chip gets 80 fps in SWTOR while the Intel chip gets 83? They both perform well enough - and they both drop way down (by similar ratios) in OPs and PvP.

I currently run an Intel i5-6600, but I'm soon going to upgrade to a Ryzen 3600X or 3700X - I'm mostly waiting for more ITX motherboards (preferably with the 550 chipset) to be released.

Intel is still slightly better for gaming, but there's more to it than that. If you want the absolute best performance you'd need to get an i9-9900K (and expensive motherboard). But, if you can't or won't spend that much, then it becomes a matter of price versus performance, and generally speaking the Ryzen chips have a much better price/performance ratio than Intel.

Also, even when the Intel chips are faster, it's only by very small margins and margins you won't really notice. In the past - in the era of the AMD FX processors - the AMD chips sucked compared to Intels. Nowadays the differences are relatively minor. Does it really matter that an AMD chip gets 80 fps in SWTOR while the Intel chip gets 83? They both perform well enough - and they both drop way down (by similar ratios) in OPs and PvP.

I currently run an Intel i5-6600, but I'm soon going to upgrade to a Ryzen 3600X or 3700X - I'm mostly waiting for more ITX motherboards (preferably with the 550 chipset) to be released.

Also on an i5-6600k. I was waiting for 1st gen Ryzen but my PC busted 9 mo prior to release.

One thing I have noticed with Ryzen processors is that even the gen 1 processors based on reviews and people who have used them have a higher "floor" than intel with regards to FPS - they might not get as high a spike, but they also never sink as low as intel does. This has led many to comment that they feel like they get a smoother performance on the Ryzen processors, whereas intel might be faster, but there are also more things like microstutters….

I've been watching the new Ryzen processors as well. From what I've read they should outperform their Intel counterparts in performance and cost.... for now.

I have an i5-8600k, so I'm not currently in the market, but I'm watching PCIe 4 like a hawk. It's going to be huge for gfx cards and m.2 ssd's.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

New Ryzen CPU's outperform current Intel one's.

SWTOR benefits from fast cores and even Haswell which is few years old, is more than good enough for SWTOR and most games.

Everything newer is even better.

I run SWTOR on i7 8750h, 4GHz on all cores all the time and there's no stutter.

Buying Intel's CPU's at their "premium" prices at this time when they're behind + new MOBO every year if you wanna upgrade, is just dumb and waste of money.

If you want futureproof, get Ryzen 3000 with X570 mobo that has PCIe 4.0 among the other things.

No.

SWTORISTA runs a Ryzen 2600x and has no issues with frame drops - very smooth.

The reason the Ryzen ones are smoother is because the Intel ones throttle up and down a hell of a lot more (even under load) than the AMD ones. Which is something I only just discovered.

I was just reading an article the other day about it on a reviewers site. They found the top Intel ones reduce power if there is the slightest change in load and actually slow down other cores more as they increase speed. AMD Ryzens dont do that.

Game play is smoother if the CPU isn’t throttling up and down as much. Especially in a game like swtor with isn’t optimised properly. Even though the throttling up is pretty fast, you will still get microstutter from it.

I personally don’t have that problem on my Intel i7 5770k because I’ve turned off throttling in the Bios and turned power to 100% for the CPU under the windows power settings.

Then I’ve OC my CPU to stay at the speeds I want on all cores. This prevents the throttling that will happen on the Intel CPUs.

And I did all of this without knowing how crazy the Intel CPUs throttle up and down. I’ve since tested it running standard and the throttling is noticeable after having the system the way I usually do.

So anyone with a Intel CPU should probably consider doing this if you are getting micro stutter or want smoother game play.

FYI, Most GPU’s do the same thing and you can adjust it so it doesn’t. The only problem is they will use more power and run hotter. Which will likely decrease their life span.

I would get an AMD Ryzen if I was building a new gaming rig. But I would still make the same changes I do for the Intel ones to stop all throttling on the Ryzen.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You do know people waited in line at Microcenter on 7/7, and that people who wait in line likely built their systems that day?

But how many of them were swtor players?

You also need to build, then test and then install. That takes more than a day if you do it properly ;) which was my point

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I've been watching the new Ryzen processors as well. From what I've read they should outperform their Intel counterparts in performance and cost.... for now.

I have an i5-8600k, so I'm not currently in the market, but I'm watching PCIe 4 like a hawk. It's going to be huge for gfx cards and m.2 ssd's.

I’m also really interested.

I think it will be 18 months at least till you see true PCIe 4 graphics cards. Unless AMD have a nasty surprise waiting to drop on nVidia;)

Those SSDs will start to propagate soon. So far I’ve only seen the Corsair ones around. So it’s hard to really gauge the performance gain if you are already using the best SSDs. I’m waiting to see how Samsung’s will stack up when they release them.

I do think PCIe 4 will be good. But remember it’s in its infancy and won’t be as optimised as it could be (drivers etc).

I’m also interested in them working on the next gen chipset (670x), which will hopefully add some extra lanes than the 570x has. There is no point having 4.0 if you have to sacrifice lanes on your GPU by adding more hardware than is the basic norm.

When I upgraded my CPU, it was a few months before Ryzen. I went with a 6600k simply because I didn't believe AMD could actually pull off what they were advertising.

Honestly, I'm delighted to be wrong. Ryzen as really put a flame under Intel's *** (I thoroughly enjoyed watching the i9 scramble to try and answer Threadripper)

Next CPU I buy will probably be a Ryzen. Don't really expect that to be too soon though, since I think I won the silicon lottery with my 6600k (4.6 GHz OC, stable at ~40 C under prime95 torture test under air cooling. Hard to complain about that)

In other words, Ryzen really is a serious competitor. Look at the price (including the fact Ryzen's ship with actually decent coolers) and go from there

I'm using good old 4790K since years now, performs great and on a stock fan, I even do video rendering with it which I always have to use a custom windows power profile to reduce the overheat. However will switch to AMD Ryzen sooner or later, I had enough of Intel's disgusting regional pricing.

Actually the new Ryzen CPUs don't out preform Intel in any gaming tests they might for other stuff but for gaming Intel still takes the spot.

It doesn't make sense to use the word actually in your statement when your statement is not actually actual. you made your statement as though it were the definitive truth yet you provide no sources. The truth is the benchmarks are very much back and forth depending on the game, the optimizations, and which version of bios was used for testing the AMD chips. It also doesn't make sense to make a blanket statement when referring to Performance because there are several different chips at different price points.

Edited by ElectroFidgit

I’m also really interested.

I think it will be 18 months at least till you see true PCIe 4 graphics cards. Unless AMD have a nasty surprise waiting to drop on nVidia;)

Those SSDs will start to propagate soon. So far I’ve only seen the Corsair ones around. So it’s hard to really gauge the performance gain if you are already using the best SSDs. I’m waiting to see how Samsung’s will stack up when they release them.

I do think PCIe 4 will be good. But remember it’s in its infancy and won’t be as optimised as it could be (drivers etc).

I’m also interested in them working on the next gen chipset (670x), which will hopefully add some extra lanes than the 570x has. There is no point having 4.0 if you have to sacrifice lanes on your GPU by adding more hardware than is the basic norm.

The AMD cards released alongside Ryzen 3000 series are pcie 4.0... 5700 and 5700xt