returning looking to play a tank/dps

beerpounder

Hello,

I am just returning to game after maybe a year i played alot when original game released and the first expansion. But its been a while and i was wondering what to make since i just bought the deluxe edition with new expansions and premium. I like Tank classes but also want to be able to do alot of damage as well. Also is there any races that are better then others for this? i dont mind buying the others any advice helps

Thank you :)

Edited by beerpounder

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I am just returning to game after maybe a year i played alot when original game released and the first expansion. But its been a while and i was wondering what to make since i just bought the deluxe edition with new expansions and premium. I like Tank classes but also want to be able to do alot of damage as well. Also is there any races that are better then others for this? i dont mind buying the others any advice helps

Thank you :)

Im not a tank main but I know DPS, if u are meant to get up and personal do that, if ur a trooper with long range do that.But don't try to tank, cause if you do you will die instaly.Hope this helped

I main guardian tanks, but really it comes down to whatever playstyle you enjoy the most. Shadoes are arguably in the best place right now, but to me anyway the difference feels pretty small tank wise. Both have perfectly viable dps specs as well (vigilence guardians being the only class I can viable dps on because I suck at dps XD ). Vanguards I don't know nearly as much about (mine gets run when I want hold the line cheese).

A popular gearing choice these days is to run dps mods, since the extra defense is sort of useless. Personally I'm being a bit stubborn and still run the high endurance/low defense mods with the low defense enhancements. I find that if I die it's because I ate a huge spike so I want the extra health without sacrificing shield/absorb. At any rate I have helped dps on flashpoints and sm ops (with a good healer) by swapping to my dps gear (keeping the shield)

Anyway to conclude, I'd recommended trying each of the classes and pick the one that suits you best. For me it's guardians :)

In general you'll need to fulfill one role at a time. So if you're in your tank gear and tank spec, you're job will be holding agro and your dps will not be impressive. It's very easy to swap out your gear and your spec though as needed, many operations don't need 2 tanks for every boss fight so having the ability to swap on the run is super helpful.

I'm a big fan of Assassin/Shadow Tank and (Deception) DPS. I love stealth and the class is in a good place now as far as balance goes. All 3 tank classes are very competitive though for most content, so I'd choose the one you enjoy the most and that you like playing as both tank and dps.

A juggernaut/guardian might have the old fashioned meat shield feel to it and would "feel" more like the game play you're looking for. Powertech/Vanguard is in the middle, but very easy/fun to play. Assassin/Shadow is slightly more complex but for me, more rewarding.

Edited by KevMeup