Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Transgender Representation in Swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Transgender Representation in Swtor

SaveTheMonkeys
08.15.2019 , 03:56 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by WaveRun View Post
Representing ALL PEOPLE is NOT too far
Agreed.

MadDutchman
08.15.2019 , 05:23 PM | #52
Representing ALL PEOPLE is NOT too far
But we aren't representing ALL people now are we? Such a thing is impossible. Unless of course you are just talking about your select group of "special" people, which itself opens up a big can of worms.

And what good is a representative if they are just a token one-dimension waste of time and space that are just insulting to the people they are supposed to be representing?

I still haven't seen anyone in this thread come up with a real explanation of HOW this could be done without just being obnoxious about it.

The devil is in the details.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

WaveRun
08.17.2019 , 10:15 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
But we aren't representing ALL people now are we? Such a thing is impossible. Unless of course you are just talking about your select group of "special" people, which itself opens up a big can of worms.

And what good is a representative if they are just a token one-dimension waste of time and space that are just insulting to the people they are supposed to be representing?

I still haven't seen anyone in this thread come up with a real explanation of HOW this could be done without just being obnoxious about it.

The devil is in the details.

Where did you get the word special from ? You are saying that people being represented is a waste of time and space, yet somehow insulting at the same time ? What's insulting is NOT seeing representation, hence the entire point of this thread from what anyone can garner (even yourself it seems ?)

There are some good educational materials to find online too about the subject and BioWare would need to read up (if they haven't or don't know someone keen on the subject) in order to it the best way that brings a good story to the game and furthers the inclusiveness of the Star Wars world.

Subscriber Since Day 1 PROUD Pre-order AND CE Holder
Coming Back? Already Returned? Use my R-A-F Link For BONUS!!! Items
Bolsteroids <Coronet United News Team> Jedi Knight | Waverunner <Problematic> Inquisitor

MadDutchman
08.18.2019 , 02:50 PM | #54
Where did you get the word special from ? You are saying that people being represented is a waste of time and space, yet somehow insulting at the same time ? What's insulting is NOT seeing representation, hence the entire point of this thread from what anyone can garner (even yourself it seems ?)

There are some good educational materials to find online too about the subject and BioWare would need to read up (if they haven't or don't know someone keen on the subject) in order to it the best way that brings a good story to the game and furthers the inclusiveness of the Star Wars world.
I was using quotes in this case to emphasize the subjectivity of the idea, not to quote you personally. The point is that there are an impossible number of different people to represent here, how can we make it a focus to represent them all? It becomes more feasible to represent only a select group of people, however that opens up a big can of worms (notably, who gets to decide which set of socially/politically sensitive get represented)

Ok, somewhat ambiguously phrased on my part I suppose, what I mean by "what's the point if..." is that if all we get is token one-dimensional characters out of their attempt to be inclusive, what's the point? It's just insulting.

To take an example from my own life, I'm legally blind. This means getting a job is extremely difficult due to the simple fact most employers see it as a risk. Notable exceptions are government and large corporations (particularly banks) who specifically hire people with disabilities, not because they are (or may not be) just as qualified for the job, but simply so the can have PR brownie points. In other words, token employees. On the one hand, they are providing employment for a grossly under employed segment of the population, but on the other, it's infuriating to think you are just there so some corporate exec making millions a year can show off their inclusivity credentials. Should we congratulate them because they are doing a little good for all the wrong reasons, and propagating a negative culture to the wider industry in the process?
Coming back here, if BW were to introduce a trans character (somehow) for the sole purpose of demonstrating how they can be inclusive, how would a trans person likely respond? "Thanks BW for representing me!" or "FU BW, there's more to trans people than being trans!" Like PR happy employers, why should we congratulate them for doing something for all the wrong reasons? When motives are skewed, so are the results. i for one do not want to condone this.

As for educational materials, citation needed, filtering by game engine limitations and the not quite parallel fantasy culture that this game inhabits. How could it be done properly?
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.