How to make Crafting skills more viable for custom armor and still having the CM

TheSupaCoopa

Duran'del here:

I have been thinking about this for a while. I think crafting skills such as Armormech and Synthweaving could use some love. So here is how to fix these awesome looking armor:

-Remove class restrictions on gear: All classes, regardless of what they are, should be able to wear whatever look they want. So should companions, too. This class destruction should be removed.

-Remove armor class restrictions on gear: another heavy hitter. There's some cool-looking armor, but its not wearable by agents. Sure, we have the BBA armor, but the mando armor has different styles. Also, what if I want to wear a hooded chestplate on a bounty hunter, or even a trench coat? These armors really need to be adaptive.

Of course, these armors would still be level-restricted and collections would not work for them.

Yes, sounds good. I would like to add one more:

- Complete all armor sets to 7 pieces. Most sets only have 4 to 6 pieces, especially the bracers are missing. For me, an armor set which doesn't have 7 pieces is not a full armor set. I was super disappointed when I found out that hardly any craftable sets are complete. And I think that 7-piece-sets would sell much better.

Duran'del here:

I have been thinking about this for a while. I think crafting skills such as Armormech and Synthweaving could use some love. So here is how to fix these awesome looking armor:

-Remove class restrictions on gear: All classes, regardless of what they are, should be able to wear whatever look they want. So should companions, too. This class destruction should be removed.

-Remove armor class restrictions on gear: another heavy hitter. There's some cool-looking armor, but its not wearable by agents. Sure, we have the BBA armor, but the mando armor has different styles. Also, what if I want to wear a hooded chestplate on a bounty hunter, or even a trench coat? These armors really need to be adaptive.

Of course, these armors would still be level-restricted and collections would not work for them.

Yes, sounds good. I would like to add one more:

- Complete all armor sets to 7 pieces. Most sets only have 4 to 6 pieces, especially the bracers are missing. For me, an armor set which doesn't have 7 pieces is not a full armor set. I was super disappointed when I found out that hardly any craftable sets are complete. And I think that 7-piece-sets would sell much better.

I'd go further - give crafted full sets a stat boost. Nothing too high, the leet raiders have a seizure when crafters make good stuff. A +3 to all stats would do, something that makes them wearable or sellable

I want to start by saying that the OP ideas have merit, but I am going to play devil's advocate on the last two:

on complete sets: You have the right to your opinion as do I...considering how often some pieces of gear are "lost" in the look of a set:

• bracers more often than not, do not alter the appearance of one's forearms because they are hidden by sleeves and/or gloves
  • belts are overly simple (just a band that is a slightly different color around the character's waist)

Not having those pieces in the set, is not as big a deal as you make it out to be. For YOU it is a big deal. Not sure how wide spread that sentiment is.

On stat bump for complete crafted sets: IMO not an option, because it would negate the appearance customization factor. Why? because a lot of players look for any edge they can get. +3 to all stats may not seem like a lot, but that is better than most datacrons, and would be easier to get. So all those players would go for one of a dozen sets.

My overall take on this subject is that while AM and SW are limited in their end-game markets (augments and slot kits), not all crew skills need to be equal in terms of number of desirable crafted items. A part of me glad that AM and SW are as limited as they are because if they were not I would have trouble keeping up my supply of materials to all my crafting skills.

There's plenty of variation in belts to warrant their inclusion to complete armour sets, though as has been said, bracers are often hidden by other pieces. However, more bracer schematics being available could only be a good thing.

What they REALLY ought to do though, is provide boots for the advanced armourtech sets, as neither the custom or basic sets have them, which is an awful omission.

One thought that does occur is custom armour sets specifically for companions, so they can keep their look, if you wish. Being able to craft them would be a definite boost, I'm sure.