J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear

Good Point! also, Lucas was hated because at the time of EP. 4 (1977) Movie credits were shown at the start of a movie, Lucas put them at the end.... A trend he started and now followed by many.
Not necessarily a good thing though... being hated by Hollywood is generally a plus. :D

What I mean to say is Star Wars has always been something different, not necessarily cut above the rest (although IMO it is) but something different and unique. The moment you see those iconic opening credits, you know this will be a film like no other. I only hope the lessening of independence will not tarnish that uniqueness.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also, Lucas was hated because at the time of EP. 4 (1977) Movie credits were shown at the start of a movie, Lucas put them at the end.... A trend he started and now followed by many.

Thats an interesting little factoid I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it.

..but the story behind Hollywood's hatred for Lucas stems from a historic miscalculation or maybe bad judgment.

Sci-fi flix were not deemed very popular in the days before Star Wars became a reality and the only reason why George was able to even get any consideration is because of the notoriety he received from the success of American Graffiti.

Most of the major studios including Paramount had turned him down considering the project a risk, so when he asked FOX who ultimately agreed to fund the project he asked for rights to all the merchandising before the release.

The studio was probably like "yeah ok whatever" thinking Star Wars would never amount to much.

Star Wars went pandemic made a $#@*-ton of money like no one had ever seen and with that money from merchandising Lucas was able to buy back his intellectual property from the studio becoming the sole owner of the franchise and the rest is history.

..because of this no studio since has ever allowed a deal like that to be made no matter what they perceive the potential of the film to be

Edited by Hardwear

..because of this no studio since has ever allowed a deal like that to be made no matter what they perceive the potential of the film to be

reminds me of the Hunger Games. no one expected it to do well, boy where they wrong

Have you even watched Star Trek 7-10? J. J. Abrams revived Star Trek! The movies before his had already lost everything the TV show was about.

If by revised you mean destroying 40 years of lore and everything the original series stood for worse then any Star Trek movie or group of movies could hope to accomplish, then yes he revised the series.

Congratulations JJ you made a monster. Why not just throw in Optimus Prime to fight the Borg. Then you'll really have something.

If by revised you mean destroying 40 years of lore and everything the original series stood for worse then any Star Trek movie or group of movies could hope to accomplish, then yes he revised the series.

Congratulations JJ you made a monster. Why not just throw in Optimus Prime to fight the Borg. Then you'll really have something.

I didn't wrote revised, I wrote revived. The francise was already pretty much dead, and Star Trek 7 to 10 already ruined it. Those movies did already everything you blame J.J. Abrams for. He had picked up that pile and made something the Star Trek 7 to 10 movies just could get right.

As far as the effect of the "publicity" The Old Republic will be getting in response to the new movies, I can say that I'm probably one of the first to have sought this game out because of it. I loved Star Wars as a kid, but I've never played any MMOs. I can honestly say that my excitement for the new films brought me here.

As far as the effect of the "publicity" The Old Republic will be getting in response to the new movies, I can say that I'm probably one of the first to have sought this game out because of it. I loved Star Wars as a kid, but I've never played any MMOs. I can honestly say that my excitement for the new films brought me here.

Welcome glad to have you and I hope BioWare recognizes the opportuity is has here.

Don't you listen? There is every reason! Why? Because unlike with Star Trek - JJ Abrams is coproducing with Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy. He's also co-producing with Kasdan and Kinberg. And has George Lucas as a consultant, who as a fan, will listen to. So thats 4 other people and a company. Not to mention the fact he's late to the party, Micheal Ardnt has already begun writing the script. And lets also remember that Star Wars is a whole different story. Its a ongoing saga not a reboot, so Abrams has to work within some sort of structure already set out for him. Disney has by no means handed the movie to Abrams like Viacom did Star Trek.

And finally Star Trek is a critically acclaimed film. So if it turns out anything like that, I'm happy. Personally I'd love to see Star Wars get at score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and win an Oscar.

Where are you getting this from. Abrams has no role except director, Kennedy is the only producer. Lucas is a consultant and Disney can do whatever they want, including replacing them all if they like, Lucas Film exists in name only.

Where are you getting this from. Abrams has no role except director, Kennedy is the only producer. Lucas is a consultant and Disney can do whatever they want, including replacing them all if they like, Lucas Film exists in name only.

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

~ Star Wars.com

Edited by Hardwear

The only "concern" I have is the fact the new films will most likely be products of the new age of filmmaking - standalone "casual friendly" rounded entities, built from ground up to attract new fans with each flick by not making the viewing of the previous film "mandatory" for enjoyment.

Some would call it "duimbing it down". Say what you will about Lucas and his prequels, he had his vision of the saga and his movies primarily served to tell that saga. I don't think we can expect a simmilar OT-PT or even LOTRO-esque projects but more shallow action flicks. Which is cool, make TOR trailers into feature films and I'll go watch it 2 times, but at it's core SW is a space opera. And I don't think the will or vision to extend said opera is really there on the part of disney. They'll do right by SW in terms of production quality I feel but the bottom line of the each induvidual flick will trump the tale of the new Skywalker every time.

Curtains for the age of a story being told in 6 movies. The age of SW with story crammed into 180minutes has arrived.

I didn't wrote revised, I wrote revived. The francise was already pretty much dead, and Star Trek 7 to 10 already ruined it. Those movies did already everything you blame J.J. Abrams for. He had picked up that pile and made something the Star Trek 7 to 10 movies just could get right.

My appologies you did write revived. My opinion still stands. If this is revived maybe it should have been left to rest in peace.

I think this is a good move, I loved that star trek film and I never was star trek fan at all. Can't wait for the 2nd one either. Now from what I have heard the movie is most likely going to be pushed back to 2016 possibly 2017 which I am perfectly fine with.

Reason being, it's 2013 now and they have BARELY scratched the surface with this new movie, if it was to hit the first targeted deadline of 2015 I have a feeling the movie would be a disaster. I would rather wait longer and have it be godlike and a true revitilization of star wars than a mediocre half *****ed movie just to put the star wars name out there again just to try and make money.

We want a real film not some bs. Which we have gotten enough of, I'm sorry I know there are those "true" fans that can look beyond the flaws of the prequels but I cannot. I thoroughly hated episode 1 with a passion and did not like episode 2 either minus a few elements of it. Episode 3 however was justifying but it was not worth the fact we had to wait for the 3rd time's a charm motto and had to experience 2 horrible movies. (MY OPINION)

Thats an interesting little factoid I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it.

..but the story behind Hollywood's hatred for Lucas stems from a historic miscalculation or maybe bad judgment.

Sci-fi flix were not deemed very popular in the days before Star Wars became a reality and the only reason why George was able to even get any consideration is because of the notoriety he received from the success of American Graffiti.

Most of the major studios including Paramount had turned him down considering the project a risk, so when he asked FOX who ultimately agreed to fund the project he asked for rights to all the merchandising before the release.

The studio was probably like "yeah ok whatever" thinking Star Wars would never amount to much.

Star Wars went pandemic made a $#@*-ton of money like no one had ever seen and with that money from merchandising Lucas was able to buy back his intellectual property from the studio becoming the sole owner of the franchise and the rest is history.

Great information! A young Lucas, was good... he was motivated and at that time, had little ego, which made for better movies.... But his time had to come to an end, EP.1 was all I needed to see to realize he lost his film making skills.

Fox made the same mistake IBM did with Bill Gates.....

Edited by Themanthatisi

Great information! A young Lucas, was good... he was motivated and at that time, had little ego, which made for better movies.... But his time had to come to an end, EP.1 was all I needed to see to realize he lost his film making skills.

Fox made the same mistake IBM did with Bill Gates.....

Are you kidding? ESB didn't have Lucas Directing and he was limited in that movie and it was by far the best of all of them.

I think this is a good move, I loved that star trek film and I never was star trek fan at all. Can't wait for the 2nd one either.

The fact you weren't a Star Trek fan is what made the movie watchable, however for those of us that are Star trek fans the movie was a disappointment to say the least. Having Abrams as director add the possibility of him doing the same to StarWars.

Like Hardwear said:

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

And sure Disney has ownership over Lucasfilm, but that doesn't make Lucasfilm obsolete. Unless for some peculiar reason Disney decide they don't need the guys who have been making Star Wars for 40 years and know how to do it right, as well as what the fans want, and replace them all with Disney employees. Remember, Disney are the distributor, they don't make the films they just rubber-stamp them. Lucasfilm and Bad Robot are making the films. In that way Lucasfilm do not exist in name only, they are still a company in their own right - they're not Disney puppets, Disney has no need to exert that kind of control over them. But people always seem to get the idea that all corporations are evil.

Like Hardwear said:

And sure Disney has ownership over Lucasfilm, but that doesn't make Lucasfilm obsolete. Unless for some peculiar reason Disney decide they don't need the guys who have been making Star Wars for 40 years and know how to do it right, as well as what the fans want, and replace them all with Disney employees. Remember, Disney are the distributor, they don't make the films they just rubber-stamp them. Lucasfilm and Bad Robot are making the films. In that way Lucasfilm do not exist in name only, they are still a company in their own right - they're not Disney puppets, Disney has no need to exert that kind of control over them. But people always seem to get the idea that all corporations are evil.

if only what you believe were true. "under the banner" is hollywood speak for, Kennedy is representing disney/lucasfilm. it does not mean lucasfilm is the production company. this movie isnt being made by the same people who made any of the star wars films. thinking that this is another star wars movie made by lucasfilm with abrams directing/producing instead of lucas is just wrong.

if it really was like how you are wishing it was, then Abrams would just have been hired as director/producer and lucasfilm would be named as the production company. make no mistake, bad robot is the production company. so just accept that. if you enjoyed star trek, then you will enjoy the new star wars movie. for people who had problems with how the trek movie was done, they are going to have the same issues with the star wars movie.

if only what you believe were true. "under the banner" is hollywood speak for, Kennedy is representing disney/lucasfilm. it does not mean lucasfilm is the production company. this movie isnt being made by the same people who made any of the star wars films. thinking that this is another star wars movie made by lucasfilm with abrams directing/producing instead of lucas is just wrong.

if it really was like how you are wishing it was, then Abrams would just have been hired as director/producer and lucasfilm would be named as the production company. make no mistake, bad robot is the production company. so just accept that. if you enjoyed star trek, then you will enjoy the new star wars movie. for people who had problems with how the trek movie was done, they are going to have the same issues with the star wars movie.

Yet why does it say that Bad Robot is co-producing with Lucasfilm? Are you saying they lied? If so what exactly are Lucasfilm doing? This relationship, you will find, is the same as the relatioship between Disney-Pixar. Pixar still produce the movies, Disney distribute them. Yes Bad Robot are also involved in the production of Star Wars but I doubt that Disney will give more power to Bad Robot (a company they don't own and have no experience producing Star Wars) than Lucasfilm (a company they do own and has 40 years experience producing Star Wars.) Why would they?

And that's just it. If you accept that Disney own Lucasfilm and heavilty influence them then you have to accept that J.J Abrams and Bad Robot are going to listen to what Lucasfilm AKA Disney, tell them to do.

And I think you misintepreted the use of the term 'under the banner' - there referring to Kennedy's position as CEO of Lucasfilm, owned by Disney. Nothing more. So yeah, I guess Kennedy is representing Lucasfilm, she does own the company (I fail to see your point here.)

Yet why does it say that Bad Robot is co-producing with Lucasfilm? Are you saying they lied? If so what exactly are Lucasfilm doing? This relationship, you will find, is the same as the relatioship between Disney-Pixar. Pixar still produce the movies, Disney distribute them. Yes Bad Robot are also involved in the production of Star Wars but I doubt that Disney will give more power to Bad Robot (a company they don't own and have no experience producing Star Wars) than Lucasfilm (a company they do own and has 40 years experience producing Star Wars.) Why would they?

And that's just it. If you accept that Disney own Lucasfilm and heavilty influence them then you have to accept that J.J Abrams and Bad Robot are going to listen to what Lucasfilm AKA Disney, tell them to do.

And I think you misintepreted the use of the term 'under the banner' - there referring to Kennedy's position as CEO of Lucasfilm, owned by Disney. Nothing more. So yeah, I guess Kennedy is representing Lucasfilm, she does own the company (I fail to see your point here.)

what will lucasfilm be doing? the post production elements from lucasfilm, such as ILM and Skywalker Sound, will be involed as always. but the main production of the movie, final script, how the story is told, actual production of filming, and so on are being done by Abrams and HIS production company. again, is the same thing as with the trek movie.

the point is, you and some others seem to think that this is another star wars film except abrams is there to just direct the actors performances.

The fact you weren't a Star Trek fan is what made the movie watchable, however for those of us that are Star trek fans the movie was a disappointment to say the least. Having Abrams as director add the possibility of him doing the same to StarWars.

Careful not only are you suggesting that there is some type of seniority among Trek fans, but you are also speaking for me and countless other people who have been fans for decades.

Am I any less of a fan because I enjoyed the reboot and I don't see things the way you do?

Trek means different things to different people.

I know there are fans out there who are unhappy particularly with the time travel, alternate reality scenario, but as a long time trekkie I wasn't concerned about that especially when you consider the space/time continuum with Q and past movies like Generations which was clearly designed (at least from my perspective) to be just a passing of the baton from the original to the next generation.

I thought the plot in the reboot was passable, but not great, but I was way more concerned with character development and the cohesion between the central characters and as a reboot that's what I came to see.

I came to see how these very different personalities (quick thinking, rush in where angels fear to tread) Kirk, (cool calculating logical) Spock the far extremes, balanced by (a very simplistic yet antagonizing southern doctor striving to keep them both grounded) McCoy and how they came together with a supporting cast to become legendary.

Character creation and development is very important to me and it's something that has been sorely missed in the galaxy far far away since the original trilogy.

I think most of us will likely agree that acting and character development in the new trilogy was lacking despite the established talent, Samuel Jackson is probably best example of this of course he did an adequate job, but I always felt like he wasn't playing to his potential and not by his own fault.

Edited by Hardwear

what will lucasfilm be doing? the post production elements from lucasfilm, such as ILM and Skywalker Sound, will be involed as always. but the main production of the movie, final script, how the story is told, actual production of filming, and so on are being done by Abrams and HIS production company. again, is the same thing as with the trek movie.

the point is, you and some others seem to think that this is another star wars film except abrams is there to just direct the actors performances.

You have no evidence to suggest this is the case. Whereas I have evidence to support my argument.

Among all the other opinionated, guess-timation in your posts I found your latest conjecture highlighted in yellow the most interesting.

"make no mistake" "just accept it" "its the same thing as with the trek movie" Why? ..because you said so?

This is the internet and though I realize that people feel empowered by anonymity don't go thinking people will "just accept" anything you or anyone else says without some type of reliability, validity or citation to backup your argument.

Edited by Hardwear

There is a poll on Yahoo that asks..

""Is J.J. Abrams a good pick to direct the new Star Wars movie?"

Yes - 51%

No - 49%

Out of 2,562 votes

Almost 50/50

A similar poll is running on ComingSoon.net with much different results.

What do you think of J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars: Episode VII?

Awesome news! May the Force be with him. - 56.1%

He'll do just fine, I'm not worried. - 24.6%

I'm not sure yet either way. - 11.1%

They probably could have gotten someone better. - 4.6%

Noooo! This is terrible news! - 3.7%

Total votes: 8618

Edited by Kazmtyh