Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My New Take on GSF

phalczen
11.05.2019 , 11:44 AM | #11
I think that we need to separate the issue of imperfect matchmaking from premades. They can be connected, but they are different problems.

Itís not fair to people that have built a team to force them to break apart for a somewhat arbitrary concept of fairness. Nor is it appropriate to insist a team ďgo easyĒ on people or ďsit out a few matches.Ē And I say this as a predominantly solo-queue-er. Because it does stink to get curbstomped, regardless of the reason why. But thatís not entirely Drako et alís fault as if itís malice or that they donít want the game to succeed or players to improve.

I think history has also demonstrated that the existing SWTOR matchmaking systems do a much better job when premades are not in the queue, and even in bugged situations when groups donít get pops at all, as happened a few years ago for ground warzones.

Does this mean solo players are lazy? That they donít want to get better, or have a challenge? No, of course not.
Does it mean the team players are destroying the game? Of course not. Drako alone has done more to educate the community and share his knowledge than anyone else, and Iíve taken a protorp up my engine exhaust from him more than once.

Ultimately i donít have any answers. The system would probably work if there were enough players such that premades would be more likely to go up against other premades rather than a group of solo-queuing new pilots and one veteran. I also think that a group ranked system where SRW could fight more routinely against Drakoís team would be ideal. I know I would be curious to see what happened if the solo queue and group queue were separated, but it isnít any more fair to force a team to split up just to get a pop, than it is to expect new players to understand why they just got curbstomped.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

HuaRya
11.15.2019 , 06:55 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by voltaicbore View Post
This is perhaps the most egregious thing about GSF. While it's impossible to replicate the wide range of situations new pilots will be exposed to in any pvp game mode with just a tutorial, the GSF tutorial is notably bad. It gives you some sense of how basic maneuvers work, but some things like doing a full stop behind a safe wall by pressing X is just totally absent. This is perhaps the most easily fixable aspect of GSF, in my opinion.

And yes, warzone pvp also lacks a similar access to empty arenas for practice, but at least combat resembles what players do in pve all the time. GSF is so different from the rest of the game that I believe it merits a better tutorial system.

While I completely agree that nothing will turn off newer/less experienced pilots than hours of curbstomps, I feel there's very little the devs can do regarding this matter. Not allowing teams to form in a team-based game mode is just... silly, and asking people to voluntarily split themselves up is literally telling people how to have their fun.

The only long term solution is to get better, and I mean that in all sincerity, no snark. The real problem is a lack of place to practice targets and maneuvers outside of matches. Currently new players have literally no place to learn the maps. Just knowing where to attack from and where to escape to is a great advantage. If a new pilot just flies around away from combat trying to learn the map during the match, they'll get hit with the non-contribution debuff and eventually die. Just having each map available in a self-study mode, with the option of a few AI ships to shoot at/get shot by would be a huge boon to new pilots.
Reduce groups of 4 to 2. This would eliminate that 3 v 1 feeling you get when you kill one of their buddies and they all focus you down.
ďI grok in fullness.Ē
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

HuaRya
11.15.2019 , 07:10 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
I had this whole post planned to answer Myyrhbear but honestly your post here really sums up why is whole argument really falls flat.
The fact that you come on here indicates a guilty conscience. You probably once again stopped the flow of frequent pops and am coming onto the forums to check to see if anyone might be complaining. GSF is best played when teams are on equal footing.

I would think you'd be more into challenging yourself by having your mates play on opposite teams. The positive effect you think you might have on the game by your antics is reflected by the zero pop factor that follows. It's a small community and you are single handedly killing it.
ďI grok in fullness.Ē
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land