Wired: Peter Moore on SWTOR

Urael

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/368437/Poll-Sub-or-no-sub.html

^

according to this poll the number of people unsubbed because of gameplay reasons is much higher than the number of people unsubbed because of the sub fee

I am

subscribed - 23.8%

unsubscribed because of 15$ a month - 12.7%

unsubscribed because of gameplay reasons - 63.5%

Based on 126 votes.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's just doing what PR always do, omit the facts to make an excuse for whatever they want to do. I'm pretty sure they (EA) had this planned out in case the decisions to copy wow didn't workout ( haven't seen any wow clone be sucesfull why do they keep on doing it i'll never understand).

Most likely the real reason for the unsubs is " this game is not worthy of my 15 $ as it is now/ for this or that reason"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/368437/Poll-Sub-or-no-sub.html

^

according to this poll the number of people unsubbed because of gameplay reasons is much higher than the number of people unsubbed because of the sub fee

I am

subscribed - 23.8%

unsubscribed because of 15$ a month - 12.7%

unsubscribed because of gameplay reasons - 63.5%

Based on 126 votes.

Thanks for the info. Proof positive that Moore and Riccitiello are out right lieing. :cool:

I liked it when Ghostcrawler basically said "Yes, we listen to what people are saying. We just choose to ignore it because we don't agree with it". Only Daniel Erickson had that kind of chutspah.

Indeed. I like the way blizzard communicates with their customers. I like the brutal honesty. I LOVE how Bashiok trolls the trolls! :D

Don't you hate Smedley for the same reason? ;)

No I am not a Fan of Smedley for what he did to SWG (The CU was a mistake and caused the mass exodus from that game), how EQ became watered down with "Planes of Power", how he didn't listen to us in the beta of EQ 2 about all the lag issues in Qeynos and Freeport that weren't fixed until 6 months to a year after launch (by then people left for WoW). :cool:

He's just doing what PR always do, omit the facts to make an excuse for whatever they want to do. I'm pretty sure they (EA) had this planned out in case the decisions to copy wow didn't workout ( haven't seen any wow clone be sucesfull why do they keep on doing it i'll never understand).

Most likely the real reason for the unsubs is " this game is not worthy of my 15 $ as it is now/ for this or that reason"

Agreed. The value of the subscription was not worth the service obtained by the subscription for the price of the subscription and not the price alone. :cool:

Proof positive that Moore and Riccitiello are out right lieing.

In the MMO community, there is no such thing IMO.

There is too much tin foil in use, and too many players busy lying to themselves for any lies from a game producer to get through the noise UNLESS it matches a particular noise in the channel in which case it gets gold plated and pedestaled.

There is too much tin foil in use, and too many players busy lying to themselves for any lies from a game producer to get through the noise UNLESS it matches a particular noise in the channel in which case it gets gold plated and pedestaled.

EAware Management view of SWTOR is like the "Emperor's New Clothes" all the while attempting to convince their customers help them make "Stone Soup". :p

While I am absolutely positive that in-game issues are a big part of people unsubscribing from the game, taking a small poll that samples a little more than 100 people on mmorpg.com and saying that is "proof" that the exit poll stats are a lie is kind of silly.

While I am absolutely positive that in-game issues are a big part of people unsubscribing from the game, taking a small poll that samples a little more than 100 people on mmorpg.com and saying that is "proof" that the exit poll stats are a lie is kind of silly.

+1 I agree. And I'd agree even if the same poll said SWTOR was the greatest game ever made. The same size makes the result completely irrelevant.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

and that is what MMO is really about ,,escapism,,,not playing the game, but LIVING it

yup,,we all "tune in" to the thing we like,,and try to block other annoying stuff out

and that is why most games fail,,they spend too much on mechanics, and too little on immersion

this game is a good example of that,,and here the mechanics even have serious bugs too

soon mickey will visit our little world,,hes been around, he knows the world

i feel confident , that he will set things right,,one way , or the other

Every post-WoW MMO has people whining that the "game wasn't ready for launch" or that the rate of new content isn't worth a subscription. Hell, even GW2 is having a problem with player retention when it doesn't even have a subscription fee.

It's not just SWTOR, but the MMO industry as a whole is struggling to keep a healthy base of loyal players. Producing a game which grabs people while leveling, and still having thousands of hours of end game content, seems like a unrealistic goal at this point.

Exactly. While free to play games like Guild Wars 2 may also be experiencing the problem, it is probably easier for folks who are on the fence about whether to stay or leave to stay when there is a free to play option.

The success of WoW is an outlier.

F2P is great if you like the game but think the rate at which new content is released does not justify the subscription fee.

I haven't tried F2P on PTS but from from everything I've read and listened to (e.g. Darthhater podcasts) it sounds like it will be good for the game.

and that is what MMO is really about ,,escapism,,,not playing the game, but LIVING it

yup,,we all "tune in" to the thing we like,,and try to block other annoying stuff out

and that is why most games fail,,they spend too much on mechanics, and too little on immersion

this game is a good example of that,,and here the mechanics even have serious bugs too

soon mickey will visit our little world,,hes been around, he knows the world

i feel confident , that he will set things right,,one way , or the other

Is this a Mickey for Prez. post? Seriously? :p

"There should be 2 goals going forward; first would be to milk more cash from current fans by giving them additional items to spend their money on--vanity items "

NO... if this happens I, sadly, will be gone.. the minute i look a the cartel store and feel the urge to spend more than the 15$ sub i alaready pay.. thats when I will know it's time to leave this game behind. Yes i know wow sold the crystal mount and other junk for real money... but I don't play wow anymore.. And i stopped playing COH when you could buy power sets." So long as i'm not getting milked I don't mind the game going f2p.

As we get closer, you realize the world is changing around you…. We have to change accordingly. Now you’ve got a hybrid model, which is the way I like it, because I’d rather say “give me all you can eat for 15 bucks a month and I’ll play the game if you give me everything,” which is still available. But this fall there will be, we open up the funnel at the top, look, come on in, there’s no cost to play, if you want to progress it gets better quickly.

Peter, yes, the world was changing around you and you continued not to change with it despite the repeated admonishment and down right begging by the beta players to change and/or leave certain things alone. Instead you steadfastly marched to the beat of Blizzard's drum, like every other lemming MMO, and went right over the cliff behind them.

The threads are out there already, you didn't listen to the fan base before and you're deluding yourself now into believing it wasn't the fault of the developers who thought they knew better and condescendingly dismissed those who were earnestly trying to help.

As someone in the comments asked, "What's the WoW secret sauce?" Nobody knows, not even Blizzard. Blizzard exceeded expectations by exponential exigency. It was a feat that will not soon be repeated. May people who played WoW didn't fold into the niche market that is MMORPGs. Also in WoW's beginning their wasn't the saturation in the MMO community there is today. Companies are going to have to work harder for their customers, like it or not. Or they are going to have to settle for lesser subscription numbers. Freemium is not a way to get more subscribers, but it is a way to separate hardcore players from more of their cash. They are going to fund these companies, and in a sense, get less in return. Would you pay three times the amount of a game to be given a chance of getting something no one else has. Only a few will, and that's what the bean-counters at EA are depending on.

MMORPGs are returning to their roots. They are returning to a niche market. There certainly isn't much fun to be had anymore. All that was new and slick with persistent world gaming has run its course. I don't know what the next paradigm shifting game will be, but I have a strong feeling it won't be a WoW clone.

Edited by Rikalonius

Yeah, I don't buy that interview at all...

If money were really the issue, wouldn't dropping the sub price down from 15 bucks to 10 bucks make more sense? Unless of course there is some illegal collusion between MMO companies to charge the same amount for sub fees but we all know that isn't what is happening.

F2P isn't the panacea the MMO industry thinks it is. It might help for a little while but until game developers realize that they can't re-skin the same old MMO systems and call them "new and unique" there will not be a "wow-killer".