Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

There has been an SGRA thread since two years before launch, if I am not mistaken, and since it is now one year after the launch the sum total would be three years.

A qick internet search proved me wrong. The no gays in starwars incident happened in 2009 and the first thread asking/discussing same gender romantic content started shortly after making it almost four years now.

Okay, so they're counting time before launch. That wasn't very clear, but then I've been so frustrated with this thread lately that I've taken to just skimming it rather than actually reading it - so maybe I missed something.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of making up numbers... Where the heck did this "wait 3 years for SGRAs" come from?!

I made that up because I am of a negative opinion on how long Bioware expects us to wait for content that should have been made available at launch, especially so considering that their latest statement on the subject did not concede that point.

I have no clue why people seem to be quoting me as fact, though.

I made that up because I am of a negative opinion on how long Bioware expects us to wait for content that should have been made available at launch, especially so considering that their latest statement on the subject did not concede that point.

Same gender romance/flirt options have been confirmed for Rise of the Hutt Cartel and beyond, per Jeff Hickman's State of the Blog #2. Players are more than welcome to express their opinions about this, but please do so while being respectful of each other.

...There you go. RotHC is how long they expect you to wait. At which point SGR options become available. Whether it should have been made available at launch is a matter of your opinion and nothing more.

Of course the first message in this thread says stay civil, and notice how some of the regulars in this thread can't seem to stay civil to anyone who doesn't agree 100% with them on what has happened, what should happen, or how it could/should happen?

I find that interresting too.

Of course the first message in this thread says stay civil, and notice how some of the regulars in this thread can't seem to stay civil to anyone who doesn't agree 100% with them on what has happened, what should happen, or how it could/should happen?

I find that interresting too.

Really ? And you don't see why ? I find that interesting.

You twist people's words and make statements as if that purposely twisted version is the current consensus in the thread. You take stuffy's opinion and make it sound like it's the current consensus of the whole thread.

And then, with few posts between, you manage to suggest, out of concern, that people who want this content should quit the game as the best course of action. Right.

Well, I think maybe you got short with the negativity. You're definetely slacking :p

Sadly, apparentely 3 years seem to be a plausible number so people aren't disregarding this as a ludicrous "estimation"

Edited by wainot-keel

Well, I think maybe you got short with the negativity. You're definetely slacking :p

Sadly, apparentely 3 years seem to be a plausible number so people aren't disregarding this as a ludicrous "estimation"

It's really quite a bad sign when people agree with me about three years being plausible. There's an under current of "ahh, **** it" that most companies would pay for in their customers, and here we are giving it to Bioware for free!

However I must say that, given that Bioware have announced that they intended to give us one or two [Flirt] options (of which I expect there to be a 50/50 chance of rejection) in Makeb, I've rather run out of steam. It feels like any attempt to get further clarification on companion romances will be met with "Ah, look! I have a quote" (as Mr. Gonzalez did in the previous thread, rather than actually lower himself to talk to us at the time), therefore being pointless and frustrating, and any attempt at a dialogue over their treatment and lack of any communication on the subject for the better part of a year will be met with silence and the aforementioned "Ah, look! I have a quote" tactic.

Bioware have played their hand well - we cannot complain about the introduction of [Flirt]s as being our only "romance" option because then we look greedy and pathetic, even though there are those of us who find it unsatisfactory, and we cannot approach their previous mishandling of the subject because, in their eyes, they have now handled the entire situation adequately and appropriately.

And the Force help us if we even attempt to mention anything related to SGRAs outside of this thread. Lent-san's suggestion thread for a gender change got derailed by two people going "uhhh, gays herp derp, you gotta wait, lyk, FOREVER" because they wanted to give some background to the proposal. So as negatively as I feel about Bioware's handling of this, as discouraged as I am by the still rampant homophobia and "I can't get over the fact that you mentioned this acronym" that plague these boards, I don't have a proper system to channel it yet. I believe once Makeb has come out with its one or two same-sex [Flirt]s and its eleventy-billion straight [Flirt]s, then I probably get a system going again, but until then... eh.

Edited by Tatile

So, while there is indeed a small amount of the general population that is anything other than straight, that doesn't account for other factors. Like the fact that players sometimes role play in a story based MMO. Weird, right? ;)

That's the thing. And I'm still not convinced the numbers are that 'small' after all, depending on what survey we look at. ;)

I took that number, then figured there's likely SGRs who don't care and OGRs who do to make up for it.

I guess that would be called 'making up a number'.

You're also assuming people who are SGR in RL care at all if it's implemented in RL.
You're assuming they don't. There's no difference.

You twist people's words and make statements as if that purposely twisted version is the current consensus in the thread. You take stuffy's opinion and make it sound like it's the current consensus of the whole thread.

And then, with few posts between, you manage to suggest, out of concern, that people who want this content should quit the game as the best course of action. Right.

That's it, really. If you complain about people being nasty to you, stop being nasty in the first place. There's really not much to it. Edited by Lent_San

And the Force help us if we even attempt to mention anything related to SGRAs outside of this thread. Lent-san's suggestion thread for a gender change got derailed by two people going "uhhh, gays herp derp, you gotta wait, lyk, FOREVER" because they wanted to give some background to the proposal. So as negatively as I feel about Bioware's handling of this, as discouraged as I am by the still rampant homophobia and "I can't get over the fact that you mentioned this acronym" that plague these boards, I don't have a proper system to channel it yet. I believe once Makeb has come out with its one or two same-sex [Flirt]s and its eleventy-billion straight [Flirt]s, then I probably get a system going again, but until then... eh.
What's funny is that I explicitely mentioned that I don't mean that suggestion of a gender change option to be a simple cop out to shoo in SGR with current companions through the backdoor. That wasn't and isn't my intent.

Of course, being able to start Makeb with former female/now male char would indeed make SGR on Makeb easier to approach for me with a Lv50 char sitting playready on the shelve, and the fact I started her in the first place was because SGR wasn't available and I wanted to see what the romances were like, originally.

But mostly, starting a new char and deleting her would cost me all her skills and equip and max level, so a gender swap would just be practical, not more not less. But well, that's a discussion for the other thread.

I haven't lost hope for proper SGR down the road yet. I guess I am an eternal optimist, in this regard. ;)

Edited by Lent_San

Concern? I keep seeing that word. I have no concern what so ever. It's a valid suggestion. Boycotts can work. But you need a large enough consumer base to make it work. Now if the numbers are higher than what I estimated, and it seems to me that many in this thread think it is, then show it in force!

There's obviously some passionate supporters of this. So there's step one. Cost of doing this is...saving money (people are more likely to get involved if it doesnt cost them anything). People can participate without spending a cent! Easy to understand objective for the masses (put in SGR)! And I'm sure people are willing to get the news spread around to various gaming sites for media coverage.

So what exactly is wrong with suggesting such action, when it has shown it can work in other consumer affairs?

So, another suggestion! If they can't mess with the romance options there are now, why not mess witht he companions who have no romance options?

Jedi Consular can get a M/M romance with Zenith going! F/F would be left out on this one.

Jedi Knight can M/M roamnce with Rusk and/or Scourge! F/F would be left out on this one as well.

Smuggler would likely get left out, as Guss may not be human enough for it.

Trooper can get M/M with Tanno. And yes, F/F left out.

Sith Inquisitor can get M/M with Talos. I think if they extend Khem's storyline they could

make it so Vash gets a new body and then start a F/F romance with her. Possibly just have Vash take Khems spot over, and you lose Khem

Sith Warrior can get F/F with Light Side Jaesa! M/M would be left out on this one.

Imperial Agent can get M/M with Lokin (may-december romance!) and F/F with Scorpio!

Bounty Hunter can get M/M with Skadge maybe with Gault as well if

they set it up so the storyline says he left his girlfriend

. No F/F ont his one.

Mind you, the idea with this suggestion is to not change the ones who are romanceable now, but make it so the ones who aren't, can be!

Since we cant see others romance on this game that should make it clear as day to any conspiracy or judgement you have on some people but of course you wont adress this will you. As much as people dislike being called a slur people do not like being branded or acussed of being a bad person when they are not. All threads FOR and AGAINST this should just be shut down and not allowed period. Time to be fair . come on Mr. Gonzales this is a game please just get any opinion of this off the boards its just distracting or push it to suggestion box. This is like beating a dead horse it has become to people who don't know anything about this game as there only point of reference to it this is what the game is known for to the layman. It needs to be a game again this problem was fixed and being added more in the future why even have a thread going. Again NO ONE WILL EXPERIENCE YOUR ROMANCE ARC so stop calling people out and stop allowing people to be called out on what ever what position they choose. Use facts people not emotion.

I'm sorry have you not been reading this thread at all? If you haven't noticed you would see that there are indeed plenty of people who would like to experience this romance arc so that actually makes your point completely invalid. Also what exactly is this "problem" you are referring to? Is your issue with the actual content or the opinions of people who are for and against? Either way this is a very important topic to the playerbase and saying that it should not be discussed on the forums is a form of censorship.

Yes I know it is a discussion that not many people wish to discuss but character development on in every form is very important to people thus it needs to be talked about.

Furthermore, I respectfully disagree with you on the fact that you say that people should not be called out. See this game is dynamic and the stories that our characters go through are unique both to us and to the game world. So when we are able to experience a different aspect of the game, which in this case is romance people will bring their real life opinions on what they perceive to be acceptable or not acceptable. It is for that reason that sometimes people will say negative things and when they do they should be called out because in my mind that is just a underhanded way of telling people they are wrong without getting into trouble. This goes for both sides.

So yes it is a heated topic but it needs to be talked about. Also your right it is a game but it is a game we all enjoy in our own way.

Concern? I keep seeing that word. I have no concern what so ever. It's a valid suggestion. Boycotts can work. But you need a large enough consumer base to make it work. Now if the numbers are higher than what I estimated, and it seems to me that many in this thread think it is, then show it in force!

There's obviously some passionate supporters of this. So there's step one. Cost of doing this is...saving money (people are more likely to get involved if it doesnt cost them anything). People can participate without spending a cent! Easy to understand objective for the masses (put in SGR)! And I'm sure people are willing to get the news spread around to various gaming sites for media coverage.

So what exactly is wrong with suggesting such action, when it has shown it can work in other consumer affairs?

How about no ?

Some people, like myself, don't want to leave the game because we like it and are passionate about SGRs too.

So not leaving. Deal with it. I believe this can only improve if the people who cares sticks around. Yours is a ridiculous suggestion at best ( if we are to believe it's a genuine one, which I personally don't )

Ah, and don't pretend not knowing why the word "concern" is being brought up.

How about no ?

Some people, like myself, don't want to leave the game because we like it and are passionate about SGRs too.

So not leaving. Deal with it. I believe this can only improve if the people who cares sticks around. Yours is a ridiculous suggestion at best ( if we are to believe it's a genuine one, which I personally don't )

Ah, and don't pretend not knowing why the word "concern" is being brought up.

I really don't. I'm not concerned about it. I want it in for my own personal storylines. But I'm not concerned with it being brought in. I can actually live with it one way or the other, as I'm already doing as such. There is no concern.

As for my suggestion being genuine. Of course it is. But I'm also not one of the posters in the thread saying "I'll quit if it's not brought in" I'm genuinely curious if enough people who say such things are enough to make a difference in player numbers. Is being curious wrong now? Has being curious on an outcome some how bad?

I do like how people seem to forget I'm one of the few to offer up suggestions on possible ways to implement it. What have you suggested?

Okay, maybe we can settle down. Lots of people have suggested lots of things over the past years this has been an issue. That's greatly appreciated and certainly potentially constructive but it doesn't exactly make you unique, SithKoriandr, and plenty of people who've made suggestions have been of variable support to this matter. None of the posters here have the capacity to stop others from posting - only the mods can do that - so perhaps for the sake of some peace we can all just make an effort to see everyone's point of view.

For example yes, it is true that boycotting works in some instances and yes, the numbers would be a curious thing to see. But it would also quash any attempt to keep an LGBT voice on this matter on the forums. So, while interesting, it is perhaps understandable that someone perceiving a suggestion of boycotting as a 'shut up or leave' statement (a very large number of which we've been attacked with; this is not a small issue) and taking it as such. After all it'd be interesting but given BW:A's history of not communicating it probably wouldn't do anything except crush the number of people vocally supporting this matter. If anything I'd say more support and more voices would be better.

Edited by Kioma

Okay, maybe we can settle down. Lots of people have suggested lots of things over the past years this has been an issue. That's greatly appreciated and certainly potentially constructive but it doesn't exactly make you unique, SithKoriandr, and plenty of people who've made suggestions have been of variable support to this matter. None of the posters here have the capacity to stop others from posting - only the mods can do that - so perhaps for the sake of some peace we can all just make an effort to see everyone's point of view.

For example yes, it is true that boycotting works in some instances and yes, the numbers would be a curious thing to see. But it would also quash any attempt to keep an LGBT voice on this matter on the forums. So, while interesting, it is perhaps understandable that someone perceiving a suggestion of boycotting as a 'shut up or leave' statement (a very large number of which we've been attacked with; this is not a small issue) and taking it as such. After all it'd be interesting but given BW:A's history of not communicating it probably wouldn't do anything except crush the number of people vocally supporting this matter. If anything I'd say more support and more voices would be better.

Never thought it made me unique. But I don't recall seeing suggestions from some of the posters who go about calling out "a concerned troll" or "a troll" when I've said I want it in and offered up suggestions for different ways it can be implemented past "just make it so all original companion stories can be redone" Everything I've suggested is ways to put it in as additional new content.

My newest suggestion was on the thinking of, maybe the old companions aren't SGRable storyline wise, so why not go with the companions that can't be romanced yet. Admittedly, that was more M/M options than F/F, but that's more of a lack of F/F options. I did quite like the SI suggestion I made, but then I never did care for Khem as much as others. :p

As for the boycott suggestion being a "shut up or leave", eh, never thought of it that way. More of a lets see how many are actually in the "cant play without SGR" or "put it in or we'll leave" crowd. If it's as big as some seem to make it out to be, it'd be interresting to see if I was infact wrong on the thought of "most players dont care one way or the other"

Also, all this is off-topic anyway. Instead of debating the topic, we're always ending up talking about certain people and I don't assume that's interesting for anyone outside of this thread to read. It isn't for me, certainly, but I'm not all innocent when it comes to this, I know.

I'd suggest we commit ourselve to staying on topic and ignoring posts (or posters) that move us off-topic. Maybe that helps us getting a fluid conversation going again.

So, if we're making suggestions (although I consider the suggestion forum to be the best place for this and I've already contributed there, see sig), my suggestion would be to make every companion that's already romanceable available to the other gender. And I don't mean by gender switch turned off, but through story.

I know it's the most work-intensive suggestion of them all, but it's the only one, at the end of the day, I consider fair. And it's the maximum choice option, which is always good.

Edited by Lent_San

So, if we're making suggestions (although I consider the suggestion forum to be the best place for this and I've already contributed there, see sig), my suggestion would be to make every companion that's already romanceable available to the other gender. And I don't mean by gender switch turned off, but through story.

I know it's the most work-intensive suggestion of them all, but it's the only one, at the end of the day, I consider fair. And it's the maximum choice option, which is always good.

It would be nice to see the one-night-stand options, like Pierce, given a more fleshed out and in-depth romance. Also, for padawans like Ashara and Jaesa, if they do make them available for SGRA's, it should be done in such as way as not to present lesbianism as the "corruption" of something otherwise "pure", because I can imagine that being all too easy an option for the writers. "Oh? Dark side Sith lesbian lady wants some action with her padawan-come-apprentice? Ok, let's go with the manipulative, lesbians=darkness approach. That's not offensive AT ALL."

What would also be interesting and preferable, should they decide to make this content available only post-50 (which isn't something I necessarily find agreeable) is that the romance companions discuss some of your character's past actions/motivations in some of the romance scenes, as reasons for (or against (as in spite of)) the relationship. Not in a total "I wasn't gay before I met you" (but of course, all current romances in this game are hero-sexual, would Quinn really want to marry that many alien women, regardless of their status as a Lord?) but more of a "you're an interesting person, here's why" and also, largely, to get around the idea that same-sex romances and relationships are only about the 'fade to black' - a view prevalent among those who argue against this content.

It would be nice to see the one-night-stand options, like Pierce, given a more fleshed out and in-depth romance. Also, for padawans like Ashara and Jaesa, if they do make them available for SGRA's, it should be done in such as way as not to present lesbianism as the "corruption" of something otherwise "pure", because I can imagine that being all too easy an option for the writers. "Oh? Dark side Sith lesbian lady wants some action with her padawan-come-apprentice? Ok, let's go with the manipulative, lesbians=darkness approach. That's not offensive AT ALL."

What would also be interesting and preferable, should they decide to make this content available only post-50 (which isn't something I necessarily find agreeable) is that the romance companions discuss some of your character's past actions/motivations in some of the romance scenes, as reasons for (or against (as in spite of)) the relationship. Not in a total "I wasn't gay before I met you" (but of course, all current romances in this game are hero-sexual, would Quinn really want to marry that many alien women, regardless of their status as a Lord?) but more of a "you're an interesting person, here's why" and also, largely, to get around the idea that same-sex romances and relationships are only about the 'fade to black' - a view prevalent among those who argue against this content.

I wouldn't think it has to be post 50 storyline. Just likely post Chapter 2. I don't recall any companion having a storyline mission brought up by hitting 10k affection. Now admittedly, I haven't gotten that high with every companion. But most of them seem to get the last storyline mission pop up, what, around 7-8k affection?

So, tacking SGR romance options with companions to the end of their storylines still puts in SGR, and wouldn't be level 50, unless it took you that long to max their affection.

Also, if they want to say lesbianism with Jaesa equals darkside, let them. They already have OGR with Jaesa equals darkside. If anyone gets offended by whatever they write, I just hope they can give the simple reply of "Get over yourself" something they probably should have been doing already, and leave it at that.

Also, all this is off-topic anyway. Instead of debating the topic, we're always ending up talking about certain people and I don't assume that's interesting for anyone outside of this thread to read. It isn't for me, certainly, but I'm not all innocent when it comes to this, I know.

I'd suggest we commit ourselve to staying on topic and ignoring posts (or posters) that move us off-topic. Maybe that helps us getting a fluid conversation going again.

I was under the impression that this thread was the suggestion thread for it. No idea why it's not in Suggestion Forum or even started there. Unless this thread is about just saying "Yes I want it." but then wouldn't thread die because isn't bumping a thread just to bump it against forum rules (I don't actually know, but I know it's a common rule on game forums).

Suggestions none of us seem to have made (and I admit I could have missed these suggestions) is suggesting actual storylines for the companions. Yes, most posters in this thread want SGR, but what are we looking for?

Example! Male SI and Andronikus can get into a fight with each other! Fists start flying! They're rolling around on the ground, they both get excited, their lips accidently touch, they stare at each other as they realize they like it and then the scene fades to black and the next thing you know you're in the SI's room on the ship (good time to go the shirtless route with the scene) and that can kick off the romance!

I like this idea :D

Everyone here has their 'favorites' as far as current romanceable companions go and it would be nice to get to pick which ones you want to do (or not...there are plenty of female companions I have no interest in romancing). Plus, it would avoid the issue of some classes not having an SGRA for a given gender. Right now, each class has at least one male/female OGRA option so I don't see why the same can't happen for SGRA.

I do agree that I would ultimately prefer this done via additional story content vs. tweaking existing dialog. Though, the we'd have to wait for a major story (and companion story) update I'd assume. I can wait and use headcanon in the meantime but I'm hoping it (along with more story content in general) won't take years.

Well, with Ashara

I don't think you can 'corrupt' her (i.e., turn to the Dark Side) regardless. Yeah, it would be odd if she would fall only if you romance her as a female. I can't see them doing something like that.

With Jaesa

she falls to the DS before any romance starts so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you mean LS Jaesa but she's not a romance option at the moment. What would be problematic is if they opened up LS Jaesa for romance but just with males...while both males and females could romance DS Jaesa.

Edited by stuffystuffs

That's really what made Bioware games stand out to me in the past. Their characters were always multidimensional, and they had room to evolve. Look at Zhevran for instance. In the beginning, he's like "Yeah, whatever, let's go" when you flirt with him, he's not used to anything else, but the further the story progresses, he's getting more and more dedicated to the Warden. Or Fenris and Hawke, different approach, but great too: You can friend-romance Fenris or fiend-romance him, and he reacts differently, depending on your choices. He evolves too, from distrusting Hawke to eventually trusting him. I love that. That's what makes chars interesting, having choices and character development. I'd just wish they'd be able to put an inkling of that into SWTOR. They do need to speed up the story implementation process for that matter though, definitely.

I like this idea :D

Everyone here has their 'favorites' as far as current romanceable companions go and it would be nice to get to pick which ones you want to do (or not...there are plenty of female companions I have no interest in romancing). Plus, it would avoid the issue of some classes not having an SGRA for a given gender. Right now, each class has at least one male/female OGRA option so I don't see why the same can't happen for SGRA.

I do agree that I would ultimately prefer this done via additional story content vs. tweaking existing dialog. Though, the we'd have to wait for a major story (and companion story) update I'd assume. I can wait and use headcanon in the meantime but I'm hoping it (along with more story content in general) won't take years.

Absolutely. Fully agree. Like, for the smuggler for instance, it would make total sense if Corso became available for SGR 50+. He's young and foolish and his relationship with my Captain grows closer and closer. I wouldn't really mind so much if he became available for SGR only 50+, if eventually at least some companions get made SGR compatible from the beginning. And preferably all of them at one point in time, for maximum choice, as mentioned. I agree, there are companions I wouldn't romance, even if available. But to give us the choice to decide, that's definitely what devs should strive for, imo.

I'd be ok with some of the romances only available post 50 because you get some of the companions later anyway. Take for instance jaesa, I'd love to be able to romance her now that I've hit 50 simply because it took that long to get to know her.

Gonna remain hopeful that we get more stuff down the road.

^.^

Concerning Sith Jedi padawans:

With DS Jaesa (LS would be no go) I would have her mention it to you casually that she thinking about sleeping with another woman and then you can go from that. It easily fits in my opinion as DS Jaesa is all about experiencing all the emotions. Nothing strange there I think.

Ashara is more tricky. I am not sure how fitting to Star Wars lore is, but this is what I have thought on the subject.

I would give her backround of Jedi teachings (as whole or simply specific to the masters she had) such thing to be totally unthinkable opposed to heavily regulated (as you cant have child from such relations). Due to that she tries to fight the emotions she has towards the female SI, would explain pathetic gift gains reasonably well. I would also put the romance threshold very high, even 10k...but I have feeling majority of players would find it inexcusably short romance.

Edited by Chaloss