Give us in cockpit view points like from 1996's X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter

Letsjet

Give us in cockpit view points like from 1996's X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter

A game that was made 18 years ago is better than the Galactic Starfighter portion SWTOR (a $250 mil game) by far.

I pulled My 4,000 lbs desktop from 1998 that my wife stored in the attic just to play that game.

-The graphics were perfectly fine.

-I was bobbing, weaving, and ducking in real life.

-My blood pressure went up and I was thrilled at the immersive game-play experience.

I have never done that during Galactic Starfighter.

Thanks!

And then we wouldn't need the accuracy/evasion crap. Either shots hit or it doesn't hit.

But I'm not sure if GSF was designed for simulation gameplay like TIE Fighter was, since then a joystick would then be required whereas GSF was designed to be played by mouse.

Edited by Sadishist

I think first-person cockpit views would be neat!

I don't know if I'd go with it, I kinda like knowing just how close to that asteroid my butt is before I hit Barrel Roll, but I know a lot of people for whom this move might serve to salvage GSF's standing for them.

I think it is entirely possible to put in a cockpit view as a quality of life improvement. In racing games where I was given I choice I always used fly cam views so I would keep the view we have now. But there is nothing wrong with choice.

I don't think the would change the game play to that of those games. It would basically require a complete game redesign.

If there's a cockpit view, you'd need a joystick to play.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Ever hear of Jump to Lightspeed? Basically the same game as GSF and was in a cockpit view with mouse only control. (lots of emphasis on "basically")

How did you come to that conclusion?

Ever hear of Jump to Lightspeed? Basically the same game as GSF and was in a cockpit view with mouse only control. (lots of emphasis on "basically")

Yeah... no, they are nothing alike. Not even basically. The mechanics are completely different. Speeds are completel different. Weapons are completely different.

Gimmegimmegimme! The presence of a good cockpit mod is what every decent dogfighter needs. And it can't be THAT hard to build. The X-Series of games even has user-made cockpit mods that are outstanding.

You guys can out-program a bunch of enthusiasts, right? ;)

Here is a video of an old game that is basically the same cotrol-wise from a cockpit view.

I loved that game! I remember spending hours exploring every square of every system. The challenge did fade once I decked out my eagle with full nomad weapons.

On topic. All they would really have to do is create artwork for a cockpit and overlay it with the power, targeting systems, etc. integrated into it. Then maybe move the camera to the axis of rotation for the ship so you felt like to were really in the ship as you moved around. The targeting reticule, movement and everything else would stay the same. Maybe over simplified but it just what I thought of off the top of my head.

And then we wouldn't need the accuracy/evasion crap. Either shots hit or it doesn't hit.

But I'm not sure if GSF was designed for simulation gameplay like TIE Fighter was, since then a joystick would then be required whereas GSF was designed to be played by mouse.

It was designed to be a flight game that people who don't like and don't play flight games can actually play. Who would have that that would be a bad idea?:rolleyes:

Edited by Mallorik

People in cockpit mode would get stomped by people using the current view. This isn't a sim, why do you want this?

As long as you fit the same angular field of view to the screen It doesn't make much difference as long as the top half of the screen isn't very cluttered by static overlay art. For that matter since the developers seem to be philosophically opposed to HUD/cockpit instrumentation with a high degree of functionality I suppose you wouldn't want more than maybe 10-20% of the screen to be covered with static art.

With well designed cockpit instrumentation in the lower half, you'd actually have a substantial advantage over 3rd person view (not that that would ever happen, but it doesn't violate the rules of physics, just the rules of "you must be this crappy to be included in the GSF interface").

As to why you'd want this, some people prefer to maneuver with a zero parallax view for vehicle sims. For MMO character control you need the 3d person view because it offers a lot more peripheral vision that really helps in difficult combat situations. In a vehicle sim, the 3d person and 1st person views tend to offer about the same field of view, and having a camera view that's much closer to the vehicle's axes of rotation can be a significant advantage when it comes to ease of pulling off maneuvers that involve narrowly avoiding collisions.

With a lightweight art overlay I'm not sure you'd loose any net visibility compared to the space the ship graphic takes up in the area just below the center of the screen.

As for why GSF in some ways lags a 20 year old game, well X-wing was a SW starfighting game where all of the developer resources were devoted to making a good starfighter game. GSF only gets a fraction of the SWTOR team's resources, it may have been a fairly substantial fraction at times, but it's a non-core element of the main product so it really can't get the same sort of dev devotion that a stand-alone space combat game would get.