Light Side vs Dark Side

Kylenpn

Hey when you are Sith what is the point of going to the light side and vice versa with Jedi going to the Dark side? Is there any real reason why you would do this if there is no way to switch allegences? Just curious.

Jedi do fall and Sith are redeemed. It's all about how you want to play your character, there are no in-game inherent advantages to doing so.

Edit: Though I do have to tell you, I was raging a bit earlier when I got ganked by a Sith with 'the Pure' title (LS 4) while doing my rakghoul dailies, i claim BS!

Edited by SajmanPeetee

Lightside Sith are heretics and must be purged. :wea_03:

Amen :wea_03: Got my Loathsome at lvl 24. The Sith way is the only way :wea_03:

Edit: Upon further thought

I would say over 80% of the gamers pick their initial side due to how they felt about the movies. If you liked Darth Vader/Sidius/Maul the most that would influence you to play Sith War/Inquisitor vice versa with if you liked Obi Wan you would play Jedi. I personally always rooted for the good guys to die, and was always a fan of Darth Vader. However the real choice that influenced me to play Sith Warrior was Darth Bane and to go further into Dark Side V asap because I hate all weak NPC's/Players and of course Jedi. Shame on you if you play a goodie Sith you are a disgrace to our proud order. Good thing Rule of 2 would wipe you out.

Edited by BishopUMAD

With my characters, I go with a basic character premise. On my smuggler he was/is loyal with his friends to a fault, but cross him and he'd just as soon shoot you, no redemption with him, fool me once and all that. He also is greedy money grubber squeezing every penny he can in an operation.

My Power tech ended up being more light than dark by playing him "in character" for how I envisioned him.

Whereas on my sage, everyone can be redeemed no matter how bad they are. No no, let me pay you for helping (see kids on Couscant)

I just start with a character personality type and let the light/dark side decision fall where they do within the personality of that character. Then when I get to level 50 grind dip missions to finish out to the light or dark side (which ever I am closest to.

I find that certain companions prefer you to respond in certain ways and also certain companions give advantages to certain crafts.....a lot of 'certain' there sorry about that.

So if you want to gain affection easily in order to gain an advantage quickly with the crafting / mission gathering, it is sometimes best to go against the grain and be the opposite of what you 'should' really be, ie dark Jedi or light Sith.

I also have 2 consular's, one Sage Light V and one Shadow Dark V both lvl50, this allowed me to play through the same class and side missions completely differently, it also opened up different quests due to my choices, which made the process more bearable and less boring :)

I find that certain companions prefer you to respond in certain ways and also certain companions give advantages to certain crafts.....a lot of 'certain' there sorry about that.

So if you want to gain affection easily in order to gain an advantage quickly with the crafting / mission gathering, it is sometimes best to go against the grain and be the opposite of what you 'should' really be, ie dark Jedi or light Sith.

I also have 2 consular's, one Sage Light V and one Shadow Dark V both lvl50, this allowed me to play through the same class and side missions completely differently, it also opened up different quests due to my choices, which made the process more bearable and less boring :)

You have 2 lvl 50's but still failed to understand how companions work. Lol.

Hey when you are Sith what is the point of going to the light side and vice versa with Jedi going to the Dark side? Is there any real reason why you would do this if there is no way to switch allegences? Just curious.

No, but it would be nice if there were a few more options.

Such as light sided Sith Warriors using the Jedi Knight health regen animation (meditation) rather than the normal channelling rage one (and Dark Sided Jedi Knights using the channel rage animation rather than the kneeling meditation one.

Would add a lot of flavour to the system without unbalancing anything at all.

My main is a nuetral Assassin, she just kind of developed that way with a very pragmatic personality. Sometimes the Darkside choices seemed like a waist of good resources... thought disobediance is always met with death. :wea_03:

You have 2 lvl 50's but still failed to understand how companions work. Lol.

Em so you gain affection and you're companions can complete their missions quicker...what did I fail on exactly?

When you queue up your companion to make say 5 chest pieces that normally take 25mins each and you get it down to below 20mins, that is quite a saving....so don't understand your obviously worthless response there!

On my smuggler he was/is loyal with his friends to a fault, but cross him and he'd just as soon shoot you, no redemption with him, fool me once and all that. He also is greedy money grubber squeezing every penny he can in an operation.

This is a great idea for a character ! I think I may steal it from you. Very original, sounds like a lot of fun !

This is what I think is the difference.

* Dark Sith; you'll end up like a homicidal maniac who kills everyone that either annoys the crap ouyt of you or you do it just because you enjoy terrorizing and spreading fear. A dark sith is a peson who is deeply disturbed on several levels.

*Light Sith; is a sith who does everything for the empires best profit. This means not killing ppl who hold important information but rather turn them and employ them into the ranks of the empire. Everything to strenghten the empires roll in the galaxy.

Dark Jedi; Not to be mistaken with a Jedi who falls to the Dark side. A Dark jedi can be a person who strenghten herself by acting ouf of hate and anger. It can be a person who has such a hatred for the empire and ppl who harm innocents that the most important thing in the world for these jedis are to inflict pain on the evildoers.

With that said I do not agree that a Jedi who is dark automatically fall to the empire.

That might be George Lucas idea of the concept, the problem with George Lucas is that while he invented a fantastic world he didn't really link "dark side good side" to a realistic perspective. AS we all know the real world is not black and white, you are not "good or evil" everyone has both sides and we tend to lean either more to good or bad. Thing is that good and bad (except for some instances) are subjective.

A dark Jedi is like a grey jedi but much more selfish and non-empathi. A dark Jedi is, a person who ignores the jedi orders teachings and the council and do whatever it takes to get the job done (yes even killing innocent ppl if the jedi has to). But just because you do this you don't "fall to the dark side" that is just cliché and stupid. A good example of a dark jedi who have fallen but not gone to the dark side in this game is Bengal Morr.

There is a huge difference with being a dark jedi and joining the sith order. The first doesn't automatically lead to the second. I have a dark jedi. She believes that the council are wasting everyones time and acts on her own and she shares a huge hate towards the Sith . This lead to a violent confrontation with

Kira Carsen

. (I Roleplay)

Bottom line is that I think that to become a great Jedi master you have to be able to control your emotions at all time (light side) but if you are a padawan who does not have the potential to rise up to the top it wouldn't be so weird if you had problems facing your fear and not acting out of hate. SWTOR "forces" you into the role of being the one who are going to rise to the top and that's why the "dark jedi" thing feels weird because you are forced into becoming a jedi master from the start when you roll your character.

That's why I can't play a Jedi, I rather just want to play as a padawan and have problems dealing with my emotions and you know just be a random guy/girl who just tries to do his/her best in the world. Bioware always had a thing for making you the "best in the worldz killzorz!!!" but in this game I don't think that concept really works and that's why it's nice that you can play agent or smuggler etc.

Edited by redsovereign

Jedi do fall and Sith are redeemed. It's all about how you want to play your character, there are no in-game inherent advantages to doing so.

Edit: Though I do have to tell you, I was raging a bit earlier when I got ganked by a Sith with 'the Pure' title (LS 4) while doing my rakghoul dailies, i claim BS!

He is pure, he didnt kill you because he was dark. He killed you because you are his enemy and there is no Mr. Niceguy in war.

I do believe that going dark site will give you some aesthetic changes to your face. You get darker rings around your eyes and you get those dark veins and a pale, evil complexion.

Jedi Knight and Consulars who are dark get green lightsabers

Sith Warriors and Inquisitors who are light get blue lightsabers but no aesthetic changes

Everyone else who isn't these four classes just gets aesthetic changes for dark side, and titles for reaching tier 4 for both sides.

Since the leveling process is pretty much RPG mode, I just played and made decisions I would make in real life if I was in that situation. So, I made LS choices all the way up. Not a single dark side point. And I'm an Imperial Agent :p

Edited by J-Slice

Jedi Knight and Consulars who are dark get green lightsabers

Sith Warriors and Inquisitors who are light get blue lightsabers but no aesthetic changes

Everyone else who isn't these four classes just gets aesthetic changes for dark side, and titles for reaching tier 4 for both sides.

Well your preferences in the use of the Force has nothing to do with the color of the lightsaber..

• 4 years later...

I could use some clarification on one of the 4.6 patch notes:

"Achievements have been added for attaining Level 65 and max level Crew Skills. These Achievements will not be granted retroactively until Game Update 4.7."

Are these achievements able to be tied into the Light Side Vs. Dark Side Event, and if so, will any other completed objectives from the Heroic - Legendary tiers that we've done on previous characters be able to be applied? I'm having trouble with the wording with this in relation to how it works (or doesn't) with the new event. It's an important question because the answer dictates the difference between grinding a lot during this event or the sweet relief that what I've done already counts.

Also, I've really loved playing SWTOR, but this whole event has gotten me pretty upset. Even if I only go up to the Eternal Tier for the rewards I want, that's still re-grinding two level 65's, one from each faction, which I've already done multiple times. According to the Heroic - Legendary tiers, I've already completed every objective over the last 5 years or so, and to try to grind out all of that again in the span of one event makes me sick to my stomach. At the very least, to go from Heroic to Legendary would take two max level 65 characters, one from each faction, and 6 level 50 characters to get through the story missions. That's not including re-doing all the crafting skills, flashpoints, heroic flashpoints, and any time spent in PVP or Galactic Starfighter. And the cartel coins eaten up for unlocks on the new characters, the credits spent, and the materials used up to re-grind crafting just feels like a titanic waste of everything I've tried to build up... and possibly my summer.

There are some really great prizes for this event, (potentially). Could we open up the conversation about letting players who've already completed the benchmarks in this event on previous characters to have those count towards the LvD event? I've been a hardcore fan of this game and an outspoken advocate in-game, IRL, and on my YouTube channel, but this has been really hard to take.

All about character creation. My Main Operative she's mostly dark, but she's Machiavellian. The ends justify the means. Not like she's going to go banzai and just kill everyone, but she does a job, she ties it off and moves on. BH, was mostly grey. Kinda how the mood struck him is how he'd deal with a target. JK was mostly light but he believed in love. SW, dark to the core, mess with him he will kill you all. Inquisitor is much the same. Consular is the by the book jedi. Though she still flirts.

Trooper is the hard as nails no nonsense trooper on the front lines. Off the lines he's as laid back as the rest.

All about how you develop the character.

to tell you the truth id love to see an option later in the game to switch sides. Like a Light side Sith being able to go in front of the jedi council and they allow the Sith to become a Jedi and vice-versa.

Well, there are some minor-ingame differences. For example, making Dark Side choices often result in you going somewhere to kill more people (more XP from extra mobs) and Light Side can some times avoid a fight (So you progress faster in your quest chain but earn slightly less XP) BUT. That's not always the case, some times the Dark Choice will have you kill an extra NPC during a dialogue, which wont earn you any extra XP. And Light Choice sometimes the other character will refuse your idea and you'll have to kill them. (Yay :wea_03: )

Overall it doesn't change much, I guess the biggest ''difference'' is your companions (If they like or dislike your choices) But in the end, it doesn't really affect anything in the game.

PS: If EA / Bioware ever change the class story lines, I think it'd be great to have those choices affecting the story. Right now the only thing it changes is ''X companion approves.... Y Companion disapproves....) Which is kind of... meh.

Edited by TheBeastSnipers