Gunslinger - Tips for raiding DPS

ArthasReaver

Hey everyone

I'm using the gunslinger dps from about 5-6 months and, for what is concerning dummy rotation, I have no particular problems. On avarage, I pull 6500 on Dirty Fighting and 6000 on Sharpshooter (post nerf)

The problem comes on boss fights. For example, lately on Bulo HM I couldn't pull more then 5300 in Dirty Fighting. About 2 minutes later on Torque, about 5000 in Sharpshooter. And thats pretty how everything goes on every fight.

Can anyone give me some advices? Where to look to find the problems?

You need to go back and think about damage advantages of slingers.

Single target isn't going to top the damage meter, you'll get run over by troopers or even the odd sentinel if they get the uptime.

You need to go to the dummy rotation and practice again. This time you need to manage your energy around dot spreading and frequent use of Sweeping Gunfire.

On Torque you need to make sure you're farming the side turrets, the fire traps, the lasers, the repair bots and only put the minimum amount on the boss so you get more adds to farm.

On Bulo you need to be quick to get dot spreads or Sweeping Gunfire casts out on the mine carts as they spawn before they move out to explode. The ranged adds need to be swapped to instantly to bank maximum multi target damage before someone gibs them with the cannon targeting circles.

Don't forget to precast Freighter Flyby and Aimed Shot before the tank starts the pull countdown to get a head start.

These are standard tactics that all slingers should know for endgame raiding.

Don't forget to precast Freighter Flyby and Aimed Shot before the tank starts the pull countdown to get a head start.

These are standard tactics that all slingers should know for endgame raiding.

If you don't pull aggro because your Aimed Shot hit before the raid countdown ended (the 3 2 1, most raids use to start fights) then you need to work on your timing to get the Aimed shot on 1.

If you don't pull aggro because your Aimed Shot hit before the raid countdown ended (the 3 2 1, most raids use to start fights) then you need to work on your timing to get the Aimed shot on 1.

Trust. This is also very important on fights like Master and Blaster, Underlurker and Cartel Warlords.

Despite Hotwireds great knowledge about Commando Healers, here it's clear he is out far beyond his capabilities, first of all it's clear you need to be playing dirty fighting in order to get your dots on all of the adds on bulo when they spawn. Additionally you are not supposed to precast orbital/flyby on the boss, you want to save that for the first adds that spawns, which is straight behind the boss and always is, so you will always hit them.

The most efficient way of handling dots and sweeping gunfire is to do your dots, than sweeping gunfire and mix in a few auto attacks in between in order to always stay around the max energy regeneration. However if you notice adds are dying quickly or tanks bother to take up barrel, AoE nuke your energy down to 0 and do auto attacks on boss until you regain your energy. If needed you can always use pulse detonator to get the adds closer together if your dots don't spread, same applies to adds which are pulled by tanks, use leg shot to keep them in place.

Overall I agree on the Hotwired approach on Torque with some small modifications, feel free to yourself spawn the repair droid or call your healers out on doing if, if you can illustrate enough panic in your voice they will not question you and just do it, meaning you will get an additional target in your sweeping gunfire.

None of which are fights you should be playing SS/MM for.

I totally agree, doing multi dotting on Warlords is very effective as you can do it through the first few phases and then you can just ensure to keep dots on your secondary target and do normal rotation on your primary.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

Hey everyone

I'm using the gunslinger dps from about 5-6 months and, for what is concerning dummy rotation, I have no particular problems. On avarage, I pull 6500 on Dirty Fighting and 6000 on Sharpshooter (post nerf)

The problem comes on boss fights. For example, lately on Bulo HM I couldn't pull more then 5300 in Dirty Fighting. About 2 minutes later on Torque, about 5000 in Sharpshooter. And thats pretty how everything goes on every fight.

Can anyone give me some advices? Where to look to find the problems?

Does your group have an armor debuff? If not your dps in Dirty Fighting will take a significant hit.

I totally agree, doing multi dotting on Warlords is very effective as you can do it through the first few phases and then you can just ensure to keep dots on your secondary target and do normal rotation on your primary.

Your advice is correct, of course, but a bit vague. I feel it is very important to explicitly note that your primary target in this case is not the same as rest of the team -- you want to delay "last phase" as much as possible, as, even with adds, it has too little dot spread uptime, when only last boss is alive, your dps takes a huge hit, you want it to be as short to a total fight duration as possible.

Does your group have an armor debuff? If not your dps in Dirty Fighting will take a significant hit.

We do have a Tactics Vanguard. As far as I know, he debuffs armor

Anyway I'm reading the advices and adds on Bulo are always taken care of by tanks, we DPS are focued only on the boss.

Anyway I'm reading the advices and adds on Bulo are always taken care of by tanks, we DPS are focued only on the boss.

Lol, don't tell me they actually succeeded trolling you.

Yeah tactics provides a debuff, unless they had added a new "feature" recently. Not that it really matters on Bulo since it's a joke (as is Torque TBH) but if you really want to increase your dps you should be able to just dummy parse the boss unless you get volley . Just Hunker down through mass barrage ( naturally take the 60% aoe damage reduction) and never move.

Edited by MuskyBoy

you are looking at this in exactly the wrong way. the point of operations is to kill the boss. fluffing your numbers attacking adds that are going to die a second later does not help the team and a real progression group will see that, and call you out for it.

on torque, killing the turrets and shoot lasers is the ranged dps responsibility, but once that is done you should be using your offensive cds for targeting the boss as much as possible. for bulo, you should not, at any point in that fight, be attacking anything other than the boss.

as far as general advice on how to increase your real dps (not a dummy), i say go do pvp. pvp teaches raid awareness better than anything in game and raid awareness is the most valuable skill a raider has to have.

Edited by sumquy

I agree, wiping on raids teaches you nothing.

You need to build up a good set of PVP gear, get decent stacks of CC grenades, medpaks and adrenals plus a healing sorc then join the regular warzone queue.

As you wait for the spawn timer between deaths open up a tab and read dulfy guides on the boss you keep wiping to.

This is a proven method used by endgame guilds.

• 4 weeks later...

Not true, try Nik's countdowns. "Five... Four... Three... (you're already in combat by three) Two... One...".

Also, boss won't even manage to hit you once as right after one as a tank I open up with pull+taunt and GL taking aggro from under 6s lockout :-p