Ship Droid Crit Chance Broken?

Rischardo

I can also confirm this for armstech (somewhat). Maxed affection on my droid with an armstech sensor thing. Crafted 15 custom built sniper rifles, 0 crits... Very unlikely indeed.

Didn't submit a bug since I have no faith in the system. This should be trivial for bioware to test, all they need to do is generate a char with said skills and a boatload of mats, and try this out in-game. Then either tell us it's working on the forum or add this to the list of known issues.

/sigh

It depends what you call "very unlikely". The armstech bonus you get from the droid is only 2%, not 5% like cybertech. So, presuming the base of 10 + 5 + 2, the probability of failing 15 times in a row is 6%. In other words, roll a D20. Did it come up 1? You lose... (Actually, you have a slightly lower chance of rolling that one than you have at failing 15 times).

I wrote a simulator for RE chances. Would it surprise you that if you roll a million times at 20% chance to succeed, that you are almost guaranteed to have a string of 50 failures or more in a row at least once? But it's true.

• 1 month later...
I thought about this and you may have a valid point. Specifically, we need to test if the droid is getting the +5% crit rate.

There is a way to test it though. Is to just mass craft level 1 items. And I don't mean a handful, I mean at least a 100-200 and look to see how close we get to our theoretical 20%-25%. Would love for someone with 0-affection droid to test it and also someone with a 10,000 affection droid.

Well, it took a month and a half, but I finally found a good reason to mass produce items using my ship droid: 1.3.

I've been making a ton of earpieces so I can RE them on 1.3 day for Augment Kit components. Here's what I found so far:

Companion: 2V-R8

Affection: Maximum (+5%)

Item level: level 49 Earpiece, yellow difficulty (+15%)

Additional Bonuses: Cybertech Sensor Module (+5%)

Total Crit Chance: +25%

Test 1: 15 crits out of 100 ear pieces

Actual Crit Rate: 15%

Difference between Expected and Actual: -10%

I will post my second test as soon as I can. With 1.3 right around the corner, now is the perfect time to test these kinds of things! If you want to help with testing, post in a format similar to the one above. The more attempts you have, the more accurate your findings will be.

Edited by Rischardo

Am going to test. Reporting this now so it's clear that my next findings are going to be unbiased by selection bias (ie I'm going to report whatever I find, not just if things are bad).

Current test plan is to make 100 Level 9 Mods, and 100 Level 9 Armorings with the droid equipment equipped, then repeat this with it unequipped. My droid hasn't got maxed affection, but this shouldn't matter for testing the effect of the equipment. I will keep the affection the same (3946) for all tests. More tests would be preferred, but this will be testing the limits of my sanity as it is!

Expected results if what we've been told is correct, assuming affection relationship is linear (as it is for time taken) :

Grey item - Base 15% chance

Affection Bonus - 2% chance (as near as matters)

Equipment : +5% chance

Expected rate with equipment : 22%

Expected rate without equipment : 17%

Edit - End of stage one (with equipment) :

37 criticals from 200 attempts = 19.5%

Edit Two - End of stage two (without equipment) :

28 criticals from 200 attempts = 14%

Conclusions :

Well, caveat's about lack of trials aside, it looks like the Droid equipment does provide a bonus. It is less certain that the Droid affection does. (The trial above this one, which overestimates the chance of a crit on an orange item (base 10% chance, not 15% I think? (http://dulfy.net/2012/04/22/companion-gifts-and-crafting-bonuses-for-1-2/) is also in line with Base chance + Droid equipment, but excluding Affection.

Perhaps someone else would like to trial against Droid affection, maybe someone with zero and 10k affection ?

Edited by Darzil

Am going to test. Reporting this now so it's clear that my next findings are going to be unbiased by selection bias (ie I'm going to report whatever I find, not just if things are bad).

Current test plan is to make 100 Level 9 Mods, and 100 Level 9 Armorings with the droid equipment equipped, then repeat this with it unequipped. My droid hasn't got maxed affection, but this shouldn't matter for testing the effect of the equipment. I will keep the affection the same (3946) for all tests. More tests would be preferred, but this will be testing the limits of my sanity as it is!

Expected results if what we've been told is correct, assuming affection relationship is linear (as it is for time taken) :

Grey item - Base 15% chance

Affection Bonus - 2% chance (as near as matters)

Equipment : +5% chance

Expected rate with equipment : 22%

Expected rate without equipment : 17%

Edit - End of stage one (with equipment) :

37 criticals from 200 attempts = 19.5% (how inconclusive is that!)

Commencing stage two (without equipment)

level 9 items? Are you just trying to get rid of mats? Haha, well thanks for doing this. I think the crit rate might be higher on lower level items, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Btw, I'm about half way through my second set of 100...this batch is starting to look worse than the first.

level 9 items? Are you just trying to get rid of mats? Haha, well thanks for doing this. I think the crit rate might be higher on lower level items, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Btw, I'm about half way through my second set of 100...this batch is starting to look worse than the first.

Well, I've edited in the full result of my last 10 hours of work! It was indeed partially to get rid of materials, or rather that having one high level scavenger supplying materials, and having skilled up three crafters to 400 on the back of that, I had several 100 of each tier 1 material that I'd never miss. Testing on high level stuff would have been much more inconvenient and time consuming. The level 9 mods/armors take only 1 minute each.

Looks like Droid Equip works, not so convinced on Droid Affection.

I think it's only better on lower level items because crit rate is 15% on yellow and below, 10% on orange, and of course making top level stuff, they are always orange.

Edited by Darzil

Looks like Droid Equip works, not so convinced on Droid Affection.

My tests show otherwise. The second round of testing was very similar to the first.

Companion: 2V-R8

Item level: level 49 Earpiece, yellow difficulty (+15%)

Additional Bonuses: Cybertech Sensor Module (+5%)

Total Crit Chance: +25%

Test 2: 12 crits out of 100 ear pieces

Actual Crit Rate: 12%

Difference between Expected and Actual: -13%

Combined: 27 crits out of 200 ear pieces

Combined Actual Crit Rate: 13.5%

Combined Difference Between Expected and Actual: -11.5%

Conclusion: The ship droid, at least for Cybertechs, is not working properly. I know I won't be using him for crafting again until this is fixed. This needs to be fixed...one of the main reasons why we can gain affection with the droid is for the crit chance. The fact that he is doing WORSE than the default crit rate even after the supposed crit bonuses is outrageous.

One more update. I needed to make 80 implants to help finish off my preparation and here are my numbers

Companions: Imperial Agent Crew

Item level: level 49 Implant, yellow difficulty (+15%)

Additional Bonuses: None

Total Crit Chance: +20%

Test 3: 15 crits out of 80 implants

Actual Crit Rate: 18.75%

Difference Between Actual and Expected: -1.25%

Conclusion: Yes, this test sample was a little smaller than the first two, but it was still fairly large. While the numbers weren't perfect (and I hardly expected them to be), a difference of 1.25% is acceptable in my book. An 11.5% difference, on the other hand, is not acceptable.