Thoughts on the Cartel Market

MingusPho

I don't expect this thread to incite any changes nor am I asking for any, just wanted to share my thoughts.

So anyway I was thinking how much better it would be if the game's cash shop only sold things outside of the game realm. Things like consumables that add temporary abilities or benefits. An example would be an item that allows you to self rez in combat or a stim that buffs a whole ops group across multiple stats.

Sometimes I feel like the cm is a rigged form of competition by bioware against the player lol. Namely because there are less attractive versions of most of that cm stuff in game. It just seems like overt greed when they could sell something completely different and let players find or craft all that cosmetic crap in game.

TLDR: I'd like to see true market differentiation or product diversity going between the cm and the game economy. The cash shop shouldn't compete with the game market. They should be almost completely separate imho.

So anyway I was thinking how much better it would be if the game's cash shop only sold things outside of the game realm. Things like consumables that add temporary abilities or benefits. An example would be an item that allows you to self rez in combat or a stim that buffs a whole ops group across multiple stats.

You have a strange definition of "better". Adding "pay to win" things would not make the game better.

Sometimes I feel like the cm is a rigged form of competition by bioware against the player lol. Namely because there are less attractive versions of most of that cm stuff in game. It just seems like overt greed when they could sell something completely different and let players find or craft all that cosmetic crap in game.

Given how eye-burningly ugly some of the CM gear is, I can't imagine there being anything "less attractive". Not to mention that my three most-favourite gear sets are all available in-game:

* Charged Hypercloth Force Expert's (Imp), which is crafted. (Synthweaving grade 9, I believe, requires level 61)

* Hallowed Gothic (except the headgear), sold by the Oricon reputation vendor.

* Bounty Tracker, sold by one of the BBA reputation vendors.

Honourable mentions to "Recon Spotter" and "Devout Overseer" which are empty-shell drops from Tier 1 Command Crates.

CM items are largely divided into 2 parts. The cartel coins to CM items is still the most popular and acessible ways for players to get CM stuff. Once the CM items hits the GTN, that's when it goes for crazy insane prices such as bionic raider bundle can go up way north of 100 mil on gtn even though it cost only 2925 cartel coins in CM. A hypercrate which cost 5400 Cartel coins sells only about 120mil on GTN currently. Due to the vast quanities of CM items, rich credit players/GTN whales can easily make insane profits by buying out entire list of CM items and relist them for x2, x3, x4 the original price and buyers will still buy them as there is no price check mechanism in game. This is called CM item flipping which makes CM items buyers at a severe disadvantaged since most buyers will not know the rough guage of CM prices on GTN. I would suggest that there is a gtn tool that allows us to see and check the current average prices of each CM item so that buyers can understand and make a informed purchase.

For all the things that could have gone wrong with the cash shop, Bioware has actually done a remarkable job of keeping it cosmetic. For all the greedy tactics at play in the world of gaming, this games cash shop has been a shining jewel of envy.

I can't express how much I appreciate Bioware standing strong against the allure of easy money selling things that give players an advantage.

Way too damn expensive. Wish they had a STO model. Coins could be earnable in game. In STO you get dilithium, can refine that. Then exchange the refined dil for zen, or in this case, cartel marks. Could lower the costs of items by a large margin.