I dont understand how orange items work.

Descento

Can you keep some orange item you got at lv 10 all through the game just by upgrading the mods in it?

:confused:

What's worked best for me thus far is to get as many orange slots as you can fill, then use planetary commendations to buy the next level of mods as the mods themselves are relatively cheap by comparison. 7 for an armor kit or hilt and then 2 for anything else. Far cheaper and longer lasting than spending commendations on gear.

Same goes for companions.

I got an orange blaster rifle from a flashpoint but quickly got another rifle from a quest drop that outspecced it. Is there a way to mod my blaster to increase its damage to match the higher level drop or can I only mod to increase my characters stats?

I got an orange blaster rifle from a flashpoint but quickly got another rifle from a quest drop that outspecced it. Is there a way to mod my blaster to increase its damage to match the higher level drop or can I only mod to increase my characters stats?

Anything orange can and should be modded rather than replaced. You can typically run an orange item right up to level 50. The only concern is aesthetics.

What's worked best for me thus far is to get as many orange slots as you can fill, then use planetary commendations to buy the next level of mods as the mods themselves are relatively cheap by comparison. 7 for an armor kit or hilt and then 2 for anything else. Far cheaper and longer lasting than spending commendations on gear.

Same goes for companions.

Actually I find the opposite to be true. I use my comendations to purchase orange items then pull out the mods and put them into my old items. I usually pay 14 for an orange item and get 3 upgrades.

Of course it's not always that way but it's an option.

Anything orange can and should be modded rather than replaced. You can typically run an orange item right up to level 50. The only concern is aesthetics.

This.

I have had a lot of orange gear (My main just hit 30) and the first lightsaber I found I really liked the look of was the reward I got from finishing the first chapter of my class quest. Looks just like the saber Luke used in ROTJ.

There will be other items that will have better stats for a bit, but for the most part once I've found a piece of orange armor, I've kept it around. Just takes time to find the right mod to put in the orange piece to make sure it's as good or better than blues/purples.

Yes, there will be one item that has a damage rating or armor rating based on the item (in your case, you'll be looking for a damage rating on a barrel). The item will then apply some multiple to this to decide the final damage output or armor rating.

Hovering over your orange item should get it to list it's rating along with the levels of the current mods.

Actually I find the opposite to be true. I use my comendations to purchase orange items then pull out the mods and put them into my old items. I usually pay 14 for an orange item and get 3 upgrades.

That's a good way to do it as well, assuming you have the options available to you that you need. Can get burned on a mod or enhancement. But for the most part when an item costs 12 or more, and 3 mods will run you 11 (if you're getting armoring or a hilt) you just have to decide what works best.

Yes.

Occasionally a blue will have slightly better stats, and a purple will be better. If you get a good drop, you can bank the orange and just upgrade the mods when you get enough commendations and replace your blues with the orange again. I don't know if they'll have purple level mods later, but if that's the case, you probably can keep a lvl 10 orange well into the 50's if that's the case. The lvl of the orange item will scale with the highest lvl mod in it.

7 tokens for armoring/hilt/barrell + 2 tokens for mod + 2 tokens for enhancement = 11 tokens, so it's usually better to buy the augments. You also won't have to pay the extraction fee.

Pulling out augs from flashpoint drops is great, though.

Yes.

Occasionally a blue will have slightly better stats, and a purple will be better. If you get a good drop, you can bank the orange and just upgrade the mods when you get enough commendations and replace your blues with the orange again. I don't know if they'll have purple level mods later, but if that's the case, you probably can keep a lvl 10 orange well into the 50's if that's the case. The lvl of the orange item will scale with the highest lvl mod in it.

Crafters can make low level purple augments. At high levels, purple augments will drop (because high level boss drops will have non-removable augments).

Uhm you may want to check your math

14-hilt+2 mods

7-hilt

2-mod

So I can buy two mods for 2 commendations, and the hilt for 7...it adds up to 11. Better to buy the mods.

I've found that oranges are great for the time being, and have a much longer shelf life than other color gear, they still need to be upgraded and replaced with time. Simply because orange armor will eventually be outclassed by new armors with a higher Armor rating, and old weapons will do less damage than higher level weapons. Orange is great for really customizing the gear for EXACTLY what you want for your character.

I've found that oranges are great for the time being, and have a much longer shelf life than other color gear, they still need to be upgraded and replaced with time. Simply because orange armor will eventually be outclassed by new armors with a higher Armor rating, and old weapons will do less damage than higher level weapons. Orange is great for really customizing the gear for EXACTLY what you want for your character.

Except that when you replace the top mod in orange gear with a higher level mod, it raises the base stats as well. So replace orange armor's armor mod with a higher mod, the armor rating of the orange goes higher. Same with blasters, replace the barrel and the damage raises. This goes for all orange gear.

So while you may on occasion find a weapon tht does better damage, once you update the mods, your orange will again be top boss. Even at 50, put in purple mods, and you should get stats comparable with purple gear.

So no, your orange gear will NOT be outclassed by new armors and weapons as long as you keep up the mods

ok, going to sound silly, I was a beta tester and never got any orange gear. where do i get orange gear?

Quest rewards and commendation vendors have been my biggest availabilty. I occasionally get drops as well, but orange gear drops are pretty rare. Not as rare as purple epics, but rarer then blues.

The armor rating on orange items scales with the armor mod. (Empty/blank oranges all have the same base armor.) Similarly, the damage scales with the barrel for ranged weapons and iirc the hilt for melee. As you add higher level mods, the minimum level on oranges increases.

So while oranges need to be regularly upgraded to stay competitive, they don't need to be replaced. Two orange items with the same mods will have the same stats - the only difference is cosmetic.

What is the reason to have epic items? Because you need fewer items to complete your gear. For example, to have the best-in-slot chest armor, you could get the one best-in-slot epic piece, but for the same stats with an orange item you would need to get three best-in-slot mods. The advantage of orange is being able to control appearance, so you don't look like some fugly multicolored jester.

Edited by nbennet