Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary Changes Brainstorming

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Mercenary Changes Brainstorming
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
10.28.2013 , 12:42 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone,

As you are no doubt aware, we are being careful in how fast and how drastic we make Class changes. Although we are starting that journey in Game Update 2.5, that is certainly not all of the changes that will happen in the future. As a part of that, one of the things we agree on is that Mercenaries could use a little bit of love.

The reason I am making this thread, is that we are curious on what your ideas might be for your class! This is for all specs. What changes would you like to see to those specs to give them a little bit of help in PvE and PvP.

I am going to be combing through this thread and passing your feedback on to the Combat team.

I do want to add a disclaimer to this. Just because a suggestion is made in this thread, or even agreed on by multiple posters, in no way implies it will be put into the game. The purpose of this is to share ideas. At the end of the day it will still come down to the decisions of the Combat Team! This is just an opportunity to add some player insight to the discussion.

If you are more of the Commando persuasion, there is a separate thread for that, here.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DarthZaul
10.28.2013 , 12:51 PM | #2
Reduce Arsenal's heat management back to how it was before 2.0 and they will be fine.

Lalainnia
10.28.2013 , 01:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryvirath View Post

Make all healing generate supercharged gas for the merc and make supercharged gas grant 25% alacrity. Change the wtfrubbish talents (Peacekeeper and Kolto Jets) and replace them with the following:

Emergent Triage 1/2: Healing a target below 50% health has a 50/100% chance to reduce the cooldown of Emergency scan by 9 seconds.

Kolto Mastery: Targets affected by Kolto Shell receive 5/10% more healing from rapid scan, healing scan, rapid shots, emergency scan, and kolto missle.
Donna-Commando-Combat Medic
When we care for others our own strength to live increases. When we help people expand their state of life, our lives also expand. Actions to benefit others are not separate from actions to benefit oneself.

krobulos
10.28.2013 , 01:20 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZaul View Post
Reduce Arsenal's heat management back to how it was before 2.0 and they will be fine.
Eric,

If you all fix the heat you also fix the majority of the dps concerns.

TrooperSev
10.28.2013 , 01:21 PM | #5
Arsenal Mercs should have the free rail shot added back in, but I don't think the rail shot should be tied to a set bonus. It should work off something from the skill tree, like how pyros get a free proc and ap pt's get a free rp.

My idea for rail shot:
- Tracer lock now also reduces the heat of the next rail shot by 2 heat per stack. (Maybe lowering dmg per stack to 4-5% to offset a little)

Also, the interrupt change would be an amazing QOL adjustment. With the amount of raid wide dmg that the new bosses do, I find my channels constantly longer than expected. I can't count the number of times that my unloads last tick has been clipped. This would result in a dps boost, that would help up compare to snipers/marauders(if they do indeed get some nerfs).
Dark Helmet - "So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

orryko
10.28.2013 , 01:37 PM | #6
Purely from a pvp perspective, as someone who is succeeding as an arsenal merc in 4s, playing with a merc healer in 4s, and playing pyro in solo queue...

All specs:
- add a disengage move like hunters have in wow. We have a jetpack ffs. Would help us get off additional hard casts as well. 30m. 45 sec cooldown.

Bodyguard: In general, you need to model this class more off the paladin/shaman in wow since that's what it is
- some type of chain heal ability
- another instant cast such as a holy shock type of ability
- more buffs from using supercharged gas. it's interesting and makes merc healing fun

Pyro:
- dots being dispelled are ok, just make them tick harder. make the talent "only affects players" if it screws with pve too much. When I play pyro, the burst combos feel like they're just not quite enough. Harder ticking dots would make up for this. Lethality snipers are the perfect example of a dot class.

I feel arsenal is in a good place. I would suggest not to mess with heat management because I think it's in a great place and you can tell a noob from how they can manage their heat. If I had a disengage I would feel like arsenal merc was the most complete class in the game.

As I said in the sorc thread, watch mudclot's stream tonight for jugg tank, op heals, lightning sorc, arsenal merc. You will see our strengths and our issues as casters.

nogoodtomedead
10.28.2013 , 02:04 PM | #7
In Terms of PVP,

The Mercenary community has been asking for a disengage ability for quite some time now. The ability to use my jetpack to put some extra distance between myself and a opponent would be nice. Many of our opponents have better escape abilities than we do such as stealth/vanishing moves. Plus the bounty hunters have a jetpack that is hardly even used. Having this ability or seeing the return of the knockback effect on Rocket punch would be greatly appreciated.

DarthBloodloss
10.28.2013 , 02:21 PM | #8
What is the point of having separate Commando and Mercenary threads? They should be combined into a single thread so readers can view ALL responses, not just half of them. New ideas can grow from existing ideas that are posted, and splitting up the posts onto 2 different threads only hinders the process and helps in no way.

That being said, I think Mercs are fairly decent in solo ranked arenas. I really don't have a problem with being interrupted anymore because that's not how the fights pan out these days. With 2 charges of Power Surge, the Merc has enough options to last until someone dies, weather its the Merc or not. (The only way you are going to stand still and spam tracers is if you are 4 on 3, in which case you would most likely win regardless of what you do. Key to winning is equally "Kill Someone" as well as "Dont Die First")

Weakness in solo ranked arena: Dual Stealther opening burst. Puts you in survival mode for the rest of the round and never lets you go on the attack

Strength in solo ranked arena: Hydraulic Overrides, Off Heals
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

DarthBloodloss
10.28.2013 , 02:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by nogoodtomedead View Post
Having this ability or seeing the return of the knockback effect on Rocket punch would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe this could be a skill box? Some players prefer a root because it doesn't build resolve, and can affect a full-resolve opponent.

And if its a skill box, you could swap it depending preference. Huttball walkways and Voidstar bridge are main 2 areas where a KB would be superior to a root. But in an arena, a KB might not be as useful since resolve is possibly more important.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Vandicus
10.28.2013 , 02:29 PM | #10
I'm going to be tackling the issue from the perspective of merc dps in pvp.

The issue is not with our damage, and its not even with our burst. When I play merc dps in pvp, I always wonder why I'm not playing another of my characters(I play my merc because it was my main for pve and my first char, so it has all my stuff on it). I don't think any player should get the feeling of, "Why am I playing this class?" for either pvp or pve.

On a point by point basis, where the merc lacks in comparison to other classes:

Defensive Cooldowns:

This one is fairly blatant, exaggerated even more so in warzone arenas. Spiking is the most effective way to dps in pvp(combining several dps to one target). Mercs get Energy shield(a mere 25% dr) and kolto overload(which doesn't even heal half of what your average player is able to dish out and isn't very effective against spiking by its design). Chaff flare gives +25% defense chance when spec'd into, but even so all defensive cooldowns combined on the merc will do very little to keep an enemy team from spiking the merc down. To make matters worse, these take a total of 3 global cooldowns to apply what in aggregate is weaker and less effective than a single GCD use ability of pretty much every other class in the game.

Mobility:

Again fairly blatant, Mercs have one ability for mobility and that is hydraulic override. Hydraulic override is great against slows in matches like hutt ball, but as mobility goes for chasing or escaping, its pretty weak. So mercenaries still lack an effective way to get into fights, let alone away from them.

General Utility:

Concussion missile is the poor man's sap or flashbang. In order to make it as effective as sap, the merc must use power surge.

Power surge exists solely to compensate with the merc's extreme vulnerability to interrupts(mercs have no form of interrupt immunity on any of their important channeled abilities).

Stealth Scan is actually a nice ability unique to mercs, but it can only be used effectively to stop escapes. Otherwise the player needs to know where the stealther is in advance. Attemps to use it defensively then cap a node simply result in the player being sapped(sap outranges the stealth scan zone which is very tiny).

Electronet, again a nice anti-stealth measure, but only to keep them from escaping, it doesn't stop them from coming in.

Most other classes have extremely effective utility skills, the list of which would be too long to bother naming. Best way to look at this section is think of any other class and compare their list of utility abilities with the mercenary.

Suggestion for changes:

Besides improvements to the above areas, I think it'd be nice if mercenaries had more of a unique role rather than simply moving them to be more like powertechs or some other class.

My proposal would be to make them a strong anti-stealth class. Stealth is currently a really useful tool in pvp, and if mercs actually had strong anti-stealth defensive capabilities they'd suddenly become a whole lot more useful. I'd suggest changing stealth scan into an anti-stealth emp field, dramatically increasing radius and duration to start.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!