Let tanks tank!

I've only been in a few FP groups so far, and it probably doesn't matter much at low levels, but what's up with groups scattering in a room each taking different mobs?! What ever happened to helping the tank! As a healer it will drive you crazy. Especially when people are on opposite sides of the room and get out of range of heals (why didn't you heal me?!).

Work as a unit people! Stand united! Your healers will thank you!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been in a few FP groups so far, and it probably doesn't matter much at low levels, but what's up with groups scattering in a room each taking different mobs?! What ever happened to helping the tank! As a healer it will drive you crazy. Especially when people are on opposite sides of the room and get out of range of heals (why didn't you heal me?!).

Agreed. I've been tanking as a Powertech, only at level 28 currently. Most of my groups simply do whatever they want until they die, and then they chill and stick together, let tank get aggro, etc.

I think a few more user-friendly UI additions by Bioware may help out. Most people are probably too used to DBM, Omen, etc. to help them choose targets.

Agreed. I've been tanking as a Powertech, only at level 28 currently. Most of my groups simply do whatever they want until they die, and then they chill and stick together, let tank get aggro, etc.

I think a few more user-friendly UI additions by Bioware may help out. Most people are probably too used to DBM, Omen, etc. to help them choose targets.

Add-ons do not fix idiocy.

OP, I say let them do this. If they die, it's their fault, not the tank's. If the problem persists, drop group and get non-useless DPS in your group.

Sure, helping offtank is one thing, running around like an idiot thinking you can do what you want is the issue tho. As a healer I have seen FAR to many people thinking they are a one man army. Im also getting irritated with the people using their most powerfull area of effect weapons after I and other group members crowed control things. Im going to just start letting those ******* die.

i'm an assassin dps.

say there's a group that has, say, 2 strong level mobs and 2 normal mobs. i will typically kill off the 2 normal mobs first even if that's not the one the tank is attacking.

i do this for a couple reasons:

i noticed a kind of lack of multi target attacks for tanks at my level of groups (lvl 22), unless they just decide not to use them around me. i also don't have any aoe attacks except the one that pushes all the enemies. but a tank got mad at me for using it so i quit using it unless i'm pushing enemies into a trap area. but my point is, those mobs have to die faster than "one at a time." trash should not end up being an endurance fight like a boss fight.

normal level mobs are underestimated in large numbers. killing them off quickly reduces damage the tank takes a lot. so, once they're aggro'd to the tank, all it takes usually is one Maul and a Thrash to kill one off. and i can usually handle a strong level mob without help from the healer, especially since i can seethe after the fight.

there are other situations where i'd attack other targets but those are too "in the moment" for me to remember. and obviously i attack any elite leveled mobs that the tank is attacking.

i don't consider this "tanking" or not allowing the tank to tank. especially when this method works wonderfully in my groups. the idea that dps should just attack what the tank is attacking is retarded and very limiting to any kind of strategy. tanks complain that they have all the responsibility and yet they won't give anybody any of it even if they wanted it.

i'm an assassin dps.

say there's a group that has, say, 2 strong level mobs and 2 normal mobs. i will typically kill off the 2 normal mobs first even if that's not the one the tank is attacking.

i do this for a couple reasons:

i noticed a kind of lack of multi target attacks for tanks at my level of groups (lvl 22), unless they just decide not to use them around me. i also don't have any aoe attacks except the one that pushes all the enemies. but a tank got mad at me for using it so i quit using it unless i'm pushing enemies into a trap area. but my point is, those mobs have to die faster than "one at a time." trash should not end up being an endurance fight like a boss fight.

normal level mobs are underestimated in large numbers. killing them off quickly reduces damage the tank takes a lot. so, once they're aggro'd to the tank, all it takes usually is one Maul and a Thrash to kill one off. and i can usually handle a strong level mob without help from the healer, especially since i can seethe after the fight.

there are other situations where i'd attack other targets but those are too "in the moment" for me to remember. and obviously i attack any elite leveled mobs that the tank is attacking.

i don't consider this "tanking" or not allowing the tank to tank. especially when this method works wonderfully in my groups. the idea that dps should just attack what the tank is attacking is retarded and very limiting to any kind of strategy. tanks complain that they have all the responsibility and yet they won't give anybody any of it even if they wanted it.

Well-written but no one is actually having problems with folks killing normals. Nobody should be dying to those. Force-leaping ahead while our Jedi Sage is out of force and thinking you're just going to zerg it down is what's the problem.

Well-written but no one is actually having problems with folks killing normals. Nobody should be dying to those. Force-leaping ahead while our Jedi Sage is out of force and thinking you're just going to zerg it down is what's the problem.

i will agree 100% to that, there is no excuse to leap in unprepared.

My Main is a Vangaurd Shield Spec, and I am a tank.

I have never had a problem tanking in heroics or flashpoints, why? Because regardless of who the group leader is, the tank controls the ebb and flow of the mission.

If you are the tank, then take charge of the group, its as simple as that. Healers keep tanks alive so that the pew pew's (or, in this game froom froom's) can go ahead and slice, dice and shoot holes in the baddies.

If they dont want you controlling the speed of the mission based upon Healer cooldowns, and your own taunt/mitigation cooldowns. Then leave the group.

Second in charge should be the Healer...

THEN the CC/support types...

THEN the DPS'rs...

DPS players should never be lead on anything, nothing against them, I like playing DPS toons as well. But they tend to make things harder on everyone else.

Just my two cents. If the peeps you are grouped with do not like that, oh well, leave, and let them find someone else.

Sure, helping offtank is one thing, running around like an idiot thinking you can do what you want is the issue tho. As a healer I have seen FAR to many people thinking they are a one man army. Im also getting irritated with the people using their most powerfull area of effect weapons after I and other group members crowed control things. Im going to just start letting those ******* die.

i know what you mean about those cc's. Mind Trap is the sweetest cc my assassin has and somebody aoe's and ruins it

Edited by Kneemo

Thats what I do, when they complain about letting them die I just tell them I was healing the tank and the people who were not acting like idiots

Yeah, I've watched too many squishies pull aggro, then claim they are "offtanking" something while I'm trying to heal their cloth covered butts back up. Trust me, I've played a healer often enough to know the difference between keeping a mob off my back and trying to cover up your own mistakes. Part of good offtanking is also knowing when it's a good time to let the regular tank pick things back up. Although, dying does tend to solve that, lol.

I've only really been doing flashpoints in groups with RL friends, how often are people using target markers in instances?

The biggest problems ive found so far are ;

1) People who are new to MMO's are really struggling to understand that there is a technical difference between how they quest and how they do fp. Its a hard thing to explain to someone whilst the rest of the group are QQ'ing.

2) Bounty Hunters PT ST and Sith Inquisitors Assa Darkness dont have the gap closers available to them in the lowest levels. When you have 2 SW Force leaping in, they will get there 5seconds+ ahead of the tank. Its not fun to try and tank like that and it sure as hell isnt fun trying to heal like it.

3) Alot of people are just idiots.

Saying that , when i have found a good group , i've been having lots of fun tanking FP's, although i think the trash shouldnt be quite so forgiving.

Edited by Visionari

Force-leaping ahead while our Jedi Sage is out of force and thinking you're just going to zerg it down is what's the problem.

^^^this...

also breaking line of sight by force leaping doesnt help either. at least some learn not to do that after they die lol

you're all the way up there, im down here, you're dead do the math.

Edited by Rygah

Simple rule.

If tank dies it's healers foult.

If healer dies it's tanks foult.

If DPS dies it's his foult.

Let them lern it the hard way :)

As a healer I have come up with a simple solution.

If you act like a moron breaking CCs by spamming AoEs or agroing something the tank isn't actually attacking you don't get healed.

People calm down a lot after that allowing me to focus on healing the tank and adding some dps on fights to help them go faster

I'm def. intent on Tanking in this game

(I REFUSE to "Heal" ....ever .....again....... really)

Standard approach for all tanking issues:

Your healer is the one you keep mobs off of.

If dps is not letting the tank, tank.... then they need to handle the mobs

However - from what I'm seeing (albet lowly lv 15 stuff)

The dps can pretty much handle individual trash mobs

It's kinda feeling like we only NEED tanking on bosses.

Which from my stand-point is great

Frees us up from having to be everywhere at once

Now- of course if it gets harder at higher levels

and DPS start exploding like wet baggies of soup

The... it becomes evolution in action

I am a experienced dps player. I have dps in many games for many years.

What i am finding here as a main issue is lack of target of target window and tanks that wont mark targets. I dont need threat meters or any of that junk. But i need some type of indicator of what target my tank is on! Ether premark the targets or tell me which one you want dead first! All to often here in this game i am drawing agro because the tank is not on the target i am even though i waiting to try and see which one he was going after.

A tank today was commenting that there is no easy way to mark targets on the fly. Seems you cant keybind the marks.

Not healing somebody on purpose is stupid and not necessary. Same wth tank not helping those who mess up. You don't punish somebody for not doing their job by not doing yours. If its that much of a problem everybody will die whether you attempt to help or not. I understand its frustrating but there is no reason to be a dick. Especially since there are a lot if new mmo players in this game and don't know any better.

So far I've played Esseles, Hammer Station and Athiss as Commando healer. If I see my group doing stupid stuff I simply tell them how things should be done. In a polite way. Stuff like 'don't break CC' ("what's cc? close combat?"), 'be careful with your AoEs' ("what's aoe?"), 'let the tank' pull etc.pp...

There are quite a few people new to MMORPGs in SW:TOR at the moment and most seem to be thankful for a bit of help.

My Main is a Vangaurd Shield Spec, and I am a tank.

I have never had a problem tanking in heroics or flashpoints, why? Because regardless of who the group leader is, the tank controls the ebb and flow of the mission.

If you are the tank, then take charge of the group, its as simple as that. Healers keep tanks alive so that the pew pew's (or, in this game froom froom's) can go ahead and slice, dice and shoot holes in the baddies.

If they dont want you controlling the speed of the mission based upon Healer cooldowns, and your own taunt/mitigation cooldowns. Then leave the group.

Second in charge should be the Healer...

THEN the CC/support types...

THEN the DPS'rs...

DPS players should never be lead on anything, nothing against them, I like playing DPS toons as well. But they tend to make things harder on everyone else.

Just my two cents. If the peeps you are grouped with do not like that, oh well, leave, and let them find someone else.

Ummm. No.

Rolling a tank doesn't give you the right to be your own little Attila the Hun. Good groups work together, converse and strategize, and try to get the most out of everyone's abilities. Same goes for healers, CC, DPS, ANYONE. No one is better than someone else or more important. I've seen healers who refuse to heal DPS, and then wipe over and over again because they don't realize that you can't win some fights without an appropriate amount of DPS. Everyone should be doing their job, and if there is a problem handle it like adults.

As one fella above mentioned, I play Jedi Shadow (mirror to Sith Assassin) and I also DPS the normal mobs in pack pulls. I do this for many reasons, the first being that it is easy to do. I can usually down the normals quickly and assist on the elite(s) once finished. I take almost no damage doing this, and I even have tanking cooldowns I can pop if needed. I sometimes even switch to Combat and put Guard on the healer to be extra cautious on some fights (I'm looking at you Council fight in Mandalorian Raiders).

Many players have this old school mentality that the Tank and Healer are the center of the world, and that everyone else is just there as chaffe. This isn't true anymore, and it shouldn't be true in good game design. Every member of the group should have a role, and there should be some encounters where that role is flexible or dynamic.

This mentality that the Tank is "in charge" needs to go. Get over yourself. I'm not here to follow your target of target and mash the same rotation until everything dies in the order you determine (erroneously or not).

Don't make me remind you how often it is the Neanderthal tank types who charge into every pull without letting the CC classes utilizes their abilties (Sap much? Oh you already aggro'ed, nvm).

You want to complain or get on a soapbox about good playstyle? Teach people to fill their role and to do it with some sense of logic. Until you are maximizing every advantage and minimizing every risk on EACH and EVERY pull, you have no room to talk.

SWTOR is a revolutionary game in this aspect. The lines have been blurred, each class has multiple roles and isn't pigeon holed to just one playstyle. Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps the old ways aren't applicable here? That perhaps these encounters are designed to be different?