Stronghold Gold Key

ParkisMaximus

Why isn't this a thing yet? There should not be an issue with someone using another accounts decorations because the guild ship already has gold keys feature.

The guild ship is part of a community, and as such more people are expected to input in to the decorating. But a personal S/H is different, maybe they didn't implement it as they were afraid of it being abused. /shrug.

Would be cool for some, as I know they hate decorating, and letting someone else do it would be so much easier.

Edited by DarkTergon

The guild ship is part of a community, and as such more people are expected to input in to the decorating. But a personal S/H is different, maybe they didn't implement it as they were afraid of it being abused. /shrug.

Would be cool for some, as I know they hate decorating, and letting someone else do it would be so much easier.

I'd love to pay a guildy to decorate my strongholds. Helps them out, makes my place look nice. Hopefully the devs read this and think about it.

• 3 months later...

I'd love it if personal strongholds had a Gold key. It would sure be cool for roleplay, social events, and holidays.

I'd also love to see Legacy-granted keys, so we don't have to re-key every time somebody rolls an alt.

Now that we have a whole bunch of strongholds, that's a lot of key granting!

Edited by Xina_LA

I'd love it if personal strongholds had a Gold key. It would sure be cool for roleplay, social events, and holidays.

I'd also love to see Legacy-granted keys, so we don't have to re-key every time somebody rolls an alt.

Now that we have a whole bunch of strongholds, that's a lot of key granting!

Yes, definately, a legacy key give would be great +1 to this

My guess would be this has never happened because decorations are account based. A guild is a superstructure whose data is saved external to an individual's account, so once something is added to the guild anyone with access to that data can see it. But I would bet that the reason we can't see someone else's decos inventory is in the same ballpark of why we can't see other players' companions in Strongholds in that player's custom outfits unless they are logged in - being because for the game to read a player's custom outfits or a player's personal decos inventory, it has to be accessing that individual account's database, and it probably can't do that while that player is not logged in.

It's just the like someone trying to access your cargo hold. Even if you could somehow give someone else permission to access your personal cargo hold, it would mean that the full contents of your cargo hold need to be saved to TWO accounts at all times: your own, and the account of whoever you gave access to, regardless of which party is actually online. The decos inventory is most likely very much the same; you can't delete decos out of the inventory entirely but you can add to them, and the same need to have that data saved down to two accounts in real time would exist. (Like, what happens if you're both trying to decorate at the same time?) When you're choosing decos out of an inventory, you are choosing out of your inventory, not out of the stronghold's inventory. (Whereas for guilds, the guild inventory is a different set of data.)

My guess would be that for a gold key to personal strongholds to work you'd have to change some pretty fundamental stuff about how decos access works altogether, and sharing databases between accounts like that might have security concerns too.

I agree that it would be great to have this feature though, and hey if they're willing to put in the research to figure out how, or it's actually easier than I'm thinking, I'm all for it! I do forgive them on letting this one slide though since I imagine it's one of those "much harder than it sounds" ideas.

Legacy keying would be awesome, on the other hand. I haven't the faintest idea whether that would be easy or hard to implement, but it would sure be nice.

That, and the ability to give Guild Flagship Stronghold keys to non guild-members, just like we can give Bronze and Silver keys for personal strongholds.

My guess would be this has never happened because decorations are account based. A guild is a superstructure whose data is saved external to an individual's account, so once something is added to the guild anyone with access to that data can see it. But I would bet that the reason we can't see someone else's decos inventory is in the same ballpark of why we can't see other players' companions in Strongholds in that player's custom outfits unless they are logged in - being because for the game to read a player's custom outfits or a player's personal decos inventory, it has to be accessing that individual account's database, and it probably can't do that while that player is not logged in.

The data's available whether a player is logged in or not. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to see info on them in the guild roster, they wouldn't be able to transfer characters from the web site, and so forth. It's a database. The data is always there, whether you are logged in or not.

It's just the like someone trying to access your cargo hold. Even if you could somehow give someone else permission to access your personal cargo hold, it would mean that the full contents of your cargo hold need to be saved to TWO accounts at all times:

That makes no sense whatsoever. You don't have to make two copies of the data for two people to see or edit it.

(Like, what happens if you're both trying to decorate at the same time?)

The same thing as when two people are decorating the guild flagship or SH at the same time. The same thing that happens when multiple people access the guild bank at the same time. It's not a big deal. Databases have different sorts of access that prevent problems that arise from two people editing data at the same time (not just in MMOs). You can make read-only queries of data that don't block people from editing what's there, you can lock specific records being accessed, and so forth. It's pretty basic stuff for programmers.

Just like people share guild decoration inventory to decorate the same location at the same time, people could share a player's inventory to decorate a player-owned stronghold.

Edited by Xina_LA

bump this.

how can everyone not be asking for this???

I've asked for this many times since strongholds came out. I enjoy collecting decos and I enjoy having well decorated strongholds, but I don't have any particular talent or interest in doing the actual decorating. I do have a friend who is a brilliant decorator that would decorate for me if she could.

I love Xina's idea for legacy keys!

This was explained to me when I requested this when strongholds come out. While it is your choice to give a key to someone to decorate your stronghold, there can always be a chance of someone abusing that permission and problems arising, at least that was what I was told year back.

This was explained to me when I requested this when strongholds come out. While it is your choice to give a key to someone to decorate your stronghold, there can always be a chance of someone abusing that permission and problems arising, at least that was what I was told year back.

These kind of problems already exist in guilds with banks, there's no way to rob someone of their decos, you can rob a guild bank. Messing up someones furniture hardly compares to theft.

These kind of problems already exist in guilds with banks, there's no way to rob someone of their decos, you can rob a guild bank. Messing up someones furniture hardly compares to theft.

TBH: People put a lot of effort in to decorating, it would cause a lot of issues if people did abuse it. It may not be stealing, but I'd be more pissed with someone who came in and messed up my stronghold, then someone who stole from the bank. But I enjoy decorationg, so I put a lot of effort in to my stronghold.

Although, most people would probably only give keys to trusted, and probable RL friends. So if it did happen, there's bigger issues at stake :)

The data's available whether a player is logged in or not. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to see info on them in the guild roster, they wouldn't be able to transfer characters from the web site, and so forth. It's a database. The data is always there, whether you are logged in or not.

That makes no sense whatsoever. You don't have to make two copies of the data for two people to see or edit it.

The same thing as when two people are decorating the guild flagship or SH at the same time. The same thing that happens when multiple people access the guild bank at the same time. It's not a big deal. Databases have different sorts of access that prevent problems that arise from two people editing data at the same time (not just in MMOs). You can make read-only queries of data that don't block people from editing what's there, you can lock specific records being accessed, and so forth. It's pretty basic stuff for programmers.

Just like people share guild decoration inventory to decorate the same location at the same time, people could share a player's inventory to decorate a player-owned stronghold.

The data is certainly always existing in the game's database (for lack of a better term), because obviously all of our account info is saved when we're offline and available when we log back in. In an effort to be more precise in what I'm trying to say, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that you would need to assign permissions to multiple accounts to be able to access the inventory/data of someone else's account. The user in question still needs to be cleared to ping on someone else's account data, and it wouldn't just be "read only", because you would be actively altering what is saved to elements of the account that is owned by someone else (ie, the stronghold layouts that are saved to the owner's account).

You don't need two copies of data only if two different users have been given access to the one place where the data being manipulated actually resides. Generally speaking, collaborative data tools work by hosting data on an external platform that multiple people can access (Smartsheet, Googledocs, Sharepoint, Dropbox, etc), or by security whitelisting external users to access an internal location, etc. If all of our individual account customizations resided in an always-readable/accessible-by-other-players-whether-you're-logged-on-or-not location, then my guess is that (as an example) public listings wouldn't be dependent on whether an account is logged in and companions placed as decos would likewise appear in our custom outfits when a bronze/silver key holder visits the SH of someone who isn't logged in. Based on the evidence we currently see, I am speculating that the data is more compartmentalized. (In the latter example of the companion outfits, that's even compartmentalized down to the character such that I don't even see the same outfits across characters on my own account; however it is that the game retrieves and displays account-saved data, it seems to do it in very particular ways.)

I imagine that cross-account permissions would raise potentially serious security concerns. You could tell people that they give out a gold key to someone else at their own risk, but at the end of the day it would be the studio that is enabling the cross-account access, and that puts them in a liability position from a security standpoint.

With a guild, all inventory is external to an individual's account "database." You put something in the guild bank, it's no longer saved to your account, but to the guild's. Two people decorating in the guild SH at the same time are interacting with the same instance (one that isn't attached to either of their individual accounts); data being altered is being updated in the same instance being shared by all parties. But if two people were trying to decorate in two different stronghold instances at the same time but still trying to use the same inventory of decorations... would that even be possible, the way the game is currently designed? I truly don't know, I'm just wondering.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if people could decorate others' SHs for them. If I'm wrong and all of this is totally possible, that would be awesome! I support the suggestion, I'm just saying that this is one case where I can easily imagine the concerns are very complicated.

Edited by JediBoadicea

Just because we don't see Public stronghold listings when the owner is logged out doesn't mean it's not possible. It may just mean that they didn't want an incredibly long stronghold list, likely half full of inactive accounts.

The same is true for not showing the stronghold owner's companion outfits. It may be they didn't think to do it, or thought it would be more story appropriate for everyone to see their own version of the companion. Otherwise you might wonder why your light-side romance companion is hanging out in someone else's stronghold in a skimpy dancer's outfit... :D

Access between player accounts and guild accounts already requires a great deal of security and careful handling. I can't imagine why access between player accounts would be any more of an issue. That type of collaboration wouldn't even need user-defined ranks and multiple levels of security access, just one. It seems less complicated to me.

As for players editing different strongholds from the same inventory at the same time, that's already true for guilds. Someone may be decorating the flagship stronghold at the same time as the planet-based stronghold. The system appears to handle it just fine.

I"m sure it would be quite a bit of work to add a Gold Key for personal strongholds. If they don't do it, I think it's because the amount of work required is too much, compared to how much it will improve player enjoyment of the game and Cartel Coin purchases.