[Guide] Sage DPS (TK + Balance) 2.0+

Nibbon

Hey guys,

I just recently started gearing my sage for PvE and I was wondering how much the 2 and 4 piece set bonuses effect dps. Also what APM should I be shooting for in TK? I seem to be about 4 apm lower than Handcuff on his world leaderboard parse.

Thanks

It's been a long time since I didn't have a set bonus, but I'm guessing the 2 piece doesn't do all that much as far as the lowering force cost. Force isn't really an issue, but if it is the 2 piece will eliminate that completely. The 15 second reduction to Mental alacrity, however, is important for any fight to maximize it's up time.

As for the 4 piece, even though I don't keep weaken mind up all the time, the proc happens a lot and 5% alacrity is a very nice dps increase.

I couldn't give you an actual number on the specific dps increase, but both are very good and you'll definitely increase your dps and apm after getting them.

For apm, I'd say anything over 41 would be ideal. Not sure exactly what's possible with no set bonus, but once you get the 2/4 piece bonus, 2 points to Force Gift and 1 piece of alacrity (78) in your gear, you should be able to reach 41+ with the correct rotation. That's how I do it, anyways :p

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

For mental alacrity: I'm assuming (could be completely wrong) is best to keep it on cd and not time it with anything, but during the duration of the buff is is it best to maintain your standard rotation of keeping TB and MC on cd and using the procs for TKW and TkT as they come up while spamming disturbance as filler?

For mental alacrity: I'm assuming (could be completely wrong) is best to keep it on cd and not time it with anything, but during the duration of the buff is is it best to maintain your standard rotation of keeping TB and MC on cd and using the procs for TKW and TkT as they come up while spamming disturbance as filler?

For the most part yes. Maybe if my adrenal was coming back within a few seconds I'd wait, otherwise it's best to just use it on cd.

The cooldown ends up being really short, so if I had my adrenal coming off cooldown in let's say 20 seconds, I'd use Mental Alacrity and then delay my adrenal until Mental Alacrity was back. Obviously this is situational, but if you think you can get another Mental Alacrity before the fight is over, I'd use it on cd.

I usually keep my rotation the same, but keep in mind that during mental alacrity, you get double the chance to proc Telek Momentum from your Disturbance and Telek Wave via the Flowing Force Skill.

Ktap or Pelara/Soup/Sindariel and co.. I tried out Balance spec for DF/DP tonight and have to say i like it more than TK right now lol. I don't have a lot of balance raid parses to sift through so i can't gauge how i did in the spec... Also sindariel suggested a balance/madness static rotation which i've been using but for the brontes fight i swapped instant mind crush/CrD in front and it seems to work just fine . could you guys/anyone take a look at my gear [jpg] and brontes parse ? Edited by paowee

Ktap or Pelara/Soup/Sindariel and co.. I tried out Balance spec for DF/DP tonight and have to say i like it more than TK right now lol. I don't have a lot of balance raid parses to sift through so i can't gauge how i did in the spec... Also sindariel suggested a balance/madness static rotation which i've been using but for the brontes fight i swapped instant mind crush/CrD in front and it seems to work just fine . could you guys/anyone take a look at my gear [jpg] and brontes parse ?

I would if I had any idea about Balance :p

The only time I ever use it is on Hateful Entity due to the movement required by non cover classes.

Ktap or Pelara/Soup/Sindariel and co.. I tried out Balance spec for DF/DP tonight and have to say i like it more than TK right now lol. I don't have a lot of balance raid parses to sift through so i can't gauge how i did in the spec... Also sindariel suggested a balance/madness static rotation which i've been using but for the brontes fight i swapped instant mind crush/CrD in front and it seems to work just fine . could you guys/anyone take a look at my gear [jpg] and brontes parse ?

A screenshot of your force-stats would've been better. I don't do much melee combat on my sorc. :p

I'm not good at reading parses, but your overall DPS seem very good.

Regarding rotation:

I prefer a static rotation in Madness/Balance, because it makes life much easier (especially in 16m OPs where it's a real pain to keep track of your dots) and the difference in DPS compared to a priority system isn't really that big.

I find balance pretty easy without a static rotation, but then again I've been playing it for a long time and I'm usually the only dps sage in our group.

I also keep Mind Crush 2 GCDs before a FiB, because it lets the other 2 dots use most of the Force Suppressions that way. The gap fills nicely with a TKT or application of both dots.

As for Brontes parse, well, it's a great number, I believe it's better than I ever got. But I don't think that this is the best fight for benchmarking. Comparing to one of my parses, largest differences seem to be where you attack the lightning pair fingers and in multidotting in 6 fingers phase. I usually just jump around for finger pairs, trying to keep Presence of Mind up and I burst down (haha) the fingers 1 by 1 in the 6 fingers phase :p

Even so, it is a very good number, especially considering your gear ;)

Edited by ceazare

I find balance pretty easy without a static rotation, but then again I've been playing it for a long time and I'm usually the only dps sage in our group.

I also keep Mind Crush 2 GCDs before a FiB, because it lets the other 2 dots use most of the Force Suppressions that way. The gap fills nicely with a TKT or application of both dots.

As for Brontes parse, well, it's a great number, I believe it's better than I ever got. But I don't think that this is the best fight for benchmarking. Comparing to one of my parses, largest differences seem to be where you attack the lightning pair fingers and in multidotting in 6 fingers phase. I usually just jump around for finger pairs, trying to keep Presence of Mind up and I burst down (haha) the fingers 1 by 1 in the 6 fingers phase :p

Even so, it is a very good number, especially considering your gear ;)

What i like about Balance is the dot management. Like the Lethality sniper I tend to try to keep 100% uptime on my dots on multiple targets Dread Masters and Brontes are great fights for those. And since in this tier they removed heal to full mechanics, you can't really say all your damage is just fluff compared to tfb or sv (so much heal to full mechanics there). its hard to do a priority list for me in my raid since we always have at least 1-2 sages. then theres me lol. so far i've had the best QoL and DPS improvements with

MC - dot 1 - dot 2 - FiB - tkt spam - disturbance. looking forward to getting more gear and get my willpower to 3700 from 3100 lol..

I thought i would have force problems because of all the target switches but the downtime phases last long enough that i was able to use consumption and get my force up before the next phase begins

Edited by paowee

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom of Page 22 earlier in this thread:

11.18.2013 , 04:58 AM | #440

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, I have stepped away from the game. It has been, probably, a few months since I logged into either the game or the forums. No particular reason except I felt I was done with the game.

This isn't meant to be a goodbye thread, I never really made one anywhere. I just thought that I ought to let you all know, especially if the class rep thing starts back up - that I won't be participating in it. I think ktap would be the best person to take over for it if he were up for it, Milas and Orderkin are good choices too - but I haven't been around lately to know if they are still around as well (I'm prob forgetting some people).

So as you may guess, I won't be updating the OP anymore. If someone would like the code to start it up again and update it, send me a PM. I think Paowee's website is great, otherwise. The google docs that I use are still linked and active, so feel free to play around with those at any time.

Best of luck to everyone,

Nibbon

We still miss you Nibbs!

Edited by LeenPonyD

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but what is the current "best" build for a DPS sage? I have been a healer for ages and now looking do try something else. I am not a fan of dots but rather something with direct damage.

Edit: I should add that this is solely for PVP.

Edited by Lundorff

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I need a little help. I'm playing a DPS telekinetic sage and apart from one earpeace and the kell dragon Relic I have pretty much BIS gear. The thing is I only manage to make 3000 DPS on a op- dummy. Now of course I wonder why that is since I'm sure I can do a decent "rotation". Now I compared my parses with some of the highest parses on torparse. The major difference I found was that I only mange to make an apm of 36 whereas the top sage dps in telikinetic do 42!

So I tried speeding things up a little and I managed to get to 37 apm or so during a 5 minute parse. But for the life of god I can't go any further than that.

So I was wondering if my alacrity rating was maybe totally wrong but I dont think so. I currently have 3,36%: 94 from gear == 1,36% plus 2% fromm the skill tree which makes a total of 3,36%. I can change a surge enhancement to alacrity but it won't make much of a difference.

I was getting so desperate that I asked myself if I'm actually able to reach the 42 apm at all. So I made rotation where I only used mental alacrity, disturbance, weaken mind and telekinetic wave whenever I could. Meaning I left out those casts that actually take to much time (turbulence, mind crush). But even with that rather simple rotation I can only reach a maximum of 42 apm.

So I am totally confused what am I doing wrong?

Hello,

I need a little help. I'm playing a DPS telekinetic sage and apart from one earpeace and the kell dragon Relic I have pretty much BIS gear. The thing is I only manage to make 3000 DPS on a op- dummy. Now of course I wonder why that is since I'm sure I can do a decent "rotation". Now I compared my parses with some of the highest parses on torparse. The major difference I found was that I only mange to make an apm of 36 whereas the top sage dps in telikinetic do 42!

So I tried speeding things up a little and I managed to get to 37 apm or so during a 5 minute parse. But for the life of god I can't go any further than that.

So I was wondering if my alacrity rating was maybe totally wrong but I dont think so. I currently have 3,36%: 94 from gear == 1,36% plus 2% fromm the skill tree which makes a total of 3,36%. I can change a surge enhancement to alacrity but it won't make much of a difference.

I was getting so desperate that I asked myself if I'm actually able to reach the 42 apm at all. So I made rotation where I only used mental alacrity, disturbance, weaken mind and telekinetic wave whenever I could. Meaning I left out those casts that actually take to much time (turbulence, mind crush). But even with that rather simple rotation I can only reach a maximum of 42 apm.

So I am totally confused what am I doing wrong?

Low APM in TK spec can usually be attributed to not using enough things fast enough. A couple things that can make APM die are as follows:

- Latency. Nothing to be done but adjust.

- Try to use your next move after TkThrow IMMEDIATELY after TkThrow is finished, but not during the end or you'll clip your last hit.

- Don't wait for Turbulence or Mind Crush to finish their cooldown if they have like .2 or .3 seconds left. Cast another move (usually Disturbance) and THEN cast your Turbulence or Mind Crush.

- Mental Alacrity should be used on cooldown, regardless of where you are in your rotation. Also make sure to get as many Disturbances and Telekinetic Waves under Mental Alacrity as you can; they have 60% chance to double tick while Mental Alacrity is active which further reduces the cooldown of your next Mental Alacrity). That is to say, if Mental Alacrity is close to ending and you have the choice between casting a couple Disturbances or a Disturbance and a TkThrow on proc, cast two disturbances and then use your TkThrow proc. You should never delay Turbulence or Mind Crush though for this purpose, as Turbulence is a heavy damage dealer and Mind Crush has great potential to lower the cooldown of Mental Alacrity.

- Just clean up the time between casts. There should be little to no time between anything you do, including using cooldowns off the GCD (like Force Potency, Mental Alacrity, Adrenals, things like that). All cooldowns that are off the GCD should be used in the span of the single GCD after any given instant move, or RIGHT after a casted move finishes, not as another "move" that takes a GCD (or even half a GCD) and then go into another skill.

Button mashing my next skill before the previous one finishes casting is one way I keep my APM up, with the exception of TK Throw of course, because you'll ending up breaking your cast. Just keep working on making everything super fluid, and the APM will go up.

First of all thanks a lot for this detailed reply.

Low APM in TK spec can usually be attributed to not using enough things fast enough. A couple things that can make APM die are as follows:

- Latency. Nothing to be done but adjust.

It could be latency but Usually I get those problems in the evening when the server is really crowded

- Try to use your next move after TkThrow IMMEDIATELY after TkThrow is finished, but not during the end or you'll clip your last hit.
I'm sure that I'm doing this because I learned this lesson while playing hybrid before 2.0

- Don't wait for Turbulence or Mind Crush to finish their cooldown if they have like .2 or .3 seconds left. Cast another move (usually Disturbance) and THEN cast your Turbulence or Mind Crush.
Yes, I read that in another guide too and I'm doing it already

- Mental Alacrity should be used on cooldown, regardless of where you are in your rotation. Also make sure to get as many Disturbances and Telekinetic Waves under Mental Alacrity as you can; they have 60% chance to double tick while Mental Alacrity is active which further reduces the cooldown of your next Mental Alacrity). That is to say, if Mental Alacrity is close to ending and you have the choice between casting a couple Disturbances or a Disturbance and a TkThrow on proc, cast two disturbances and then use your TkThrow proc. You should never delay Turbulence or Mind Crush though for this purpose, as Turbulence is a heavy damage dealer and Mind Crush has great potential to lower the cooldown of Mental Alacrity.
OK that's new to me. So if I can manage it I keep the TKThrow proc alive until Mental Alacrity is over.

- Just clean up the time between casts. There should be little to no time between anything you do, including using cooldowns off the GCD (like Force Potency, Mental Alacrity, Adrenals, things like that). All cooldowns that are off the GCD should be used in the span of the single GCD after any given instant move, or RIGHT after a casted move finishes, not as another "move" that takes a GCD (or even half a GCD) and then go into another skill.
Usually I try to use FP if I have both the TKW proc and TKThrow proc which of course doesn't always happen. Prefarably right after Turbulence since TKThrow kinda activates while the Turburlence animation ist still running.

Button mashing my next skill before the previous one finishes casting is one way I keep my APM up, with the exception of TK Throw of course, because you'll ending up breaking your cast. Just keep working on making everything super fluid, and the APM will go up.
Yeah I was wondering if others were doing that as well. Usually I keep hitting Disturbance like mad while I wait for anything else to come of cd.

Ok that's it, Ill go off to the dummy now and try your suggestions.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the time you took to write all that down.

First of all thanks a lot for this detailed reply.

It could be latency but Usually I get those problems in the evening when the server is really crowded

I'm sure that I'm doing this because I learned this lesson while playing hybrid before 2.0

Yes, I read that in another guide too and I'm doing it already

OK that's new to me. So if I can manage it I keep the TKThrow proc alive until Mental Alacrity is over.

Usually I try to use FP if I have both the TKW proc and TKThrow proc which of course doesn't always happen. Prefarably right after Turbulence since TKThrow kinda activates while the Turburlence animation ist still running.

Yeah I was wondering if others were doing that as well. Usually I keep hitting Disturbance like mad while I wait for anything else to come of cd.

Ok that's it, Ill go off to the dummy now and try your suggestions.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the time you took to write all that down.

No problem man. =) Always willing to offer suggestions to a fellow Sage.