Recommended Class?

gunnarownsu

Hello SWTOR players, I just bought this game and am excitingly waiting for it to download. I can't decide what class to play. I've played a few MMO's and I mostly only do solo content. I like a fairly simple class, but one that makes me feel pretty awesome. What class do you recommend for the reasons above?,solo, simple

I didn't post this in the class forums because I thought this was more of a newbie help thing than class questions.

Edited by gunnarownsu

Do you prefer mainly melee or mainly ranged? Do you want to be able to stealth or not care? Do you want to be more DPS or more tank? All classes are good at soloing, from my personal experience with a Sniper, Sorcerer, Juggernaut, Vanguard, Gunslinger, Sentinel, Mercenary, and Shadow. Companions will make up for what your character lacks in healing/DPS/tanking. The ones in my sig are my current levels 50s, the Immortal Juggernaut, Lightning Sorcerer, and Engineering Sniper.

As far as simple, that's all relative. What I find simple, someone else doesn't. I've seen people complain about the cover system that Smugglers and Agents use but I've never had trouble with it myself. I've seen people complain about Khem Val sucking as a tank when I've never had a problem with him. Your best bet is to try different classes and see what you like.

Jedi Knight/Guardian. Sentinel would probably be over your head if you specifically want something simple.

You can Tank or DPS, both are relatively simple to master. Only one saber to worry about and upgrade, not to mention you get access to heavy armor.

And the storyline is the standard "hero" template.

If you want to play Empire, pick Sith Warrior/Juggernaut as its the equivalent of the Guardian.

If you want ranged you can try Bounty Hunter or Trooper, depending on your preference of faction.

Jedi Knight/Guardian. Sentinel would probably be over your head if you specifically want something simple.

You can Tank or DPS, both are relatively simple to master. Only one saber to worry about and upgrade, not to mention you get access to heavy armor.

And the storyline is the standard "hero" template.

If you want to play Empire, pick Sith Warrior/Juggernaut as its the equivalent of the Guardian.

If you want ranged you can try Bounty Hunter or Trooper, depending on your preference of faction.

I agree with DeutschGamer, the Juggernaut/Guardian is probably the most straightforward class and good for soloing. (Or if you prefer ranged weapons Powertech/Vanguard) Tank spec with DPS gear in heavy armor, you don't need much strategy beyond jump in and mash it up. Get yourself a healer companion and you're good to go.

Edited by MorgonKara

I lay out a guideline class according to most recent opinions.

Best Melee DPS - Jedi Sentinel/Sith Marauder.

Best Range DPS - Gunslinger/Sniper.

Best Tanking Class - Jedi Shadow.

That's from a PvE Perspective and totally my opinion, you don't have to follow it.

I'll add more detail per class. ( My Opinion)

Jedi Guardian/Sith Juggernaut - Very iconic class but slightly medicore at the moment. When played well it's brilliant, when not ... well high blood pressure. The DPS is debatable, but Focus spec is quite fun to play in PvP Endgame. They make OK tanks atm but they suffer from "squishyness"

I play Guardian as my main and i enjoy it, but it can be at times frustrating. Again, it's an iconic class.

Smuggler Scoundrel/Operative. - A very good healer class and a very fun DPS PvP class. You like shotguns? go scoundrel, you like knifes,poison and blaster rifles? Go Operative. Overall brilliant PvE healing class but not to keen on the DPS myself, having play it as an alt. Side note, the Operative story is a lot better but that's not to say smuggler isn't good as well.

Trooper Vanguard/Bounty Hunter Powertech - Make pretty good tanks, but there not really very good a DPS in PvE content, although they make thrilling PvP DPS's with outstanding survivability. You get a pull and some nice range and melee attacks. Like Blaster rifles? Go Trooper. Like single pistols and a boba fett fantasy? Bounty Hunter for you.

Trooper Commando/Bounty Hunter Mercenary - Very good PvP DPS and PvE DPS. An all range class with 1 main Melee ability and lots of knockback. You lack an interrupt but it's not all that bad. They're very fun to play. Want a huge cannon? Go Commando. Want dual pistols? Bounty Hunter.

Jedi Sage/ Sith Sorcerer - Your typical light armored jedi with lots of force power on different ends of the force. They make very fun PvE and PvP classes in both healing and DPS. Play as a straight upfront DPS or a DOT orientated DPS. Arguably they have the best AoE Heal in the game. They're brilliant at what they do. Want telekinetics and general Master Yoda fantasy? Sage. Feel like dishing out force lightning as Palpatine? Sorcerer.

Jedi Shadow/ Sith Assassin - Arguably the best tanking class in the game right now and almost 2nd to sentinels and marauders when it comes to melee DPS. DPS style depends on the spec, Balance for D.O.T/Melee/AoE Hybrid Damage and Infiltration for your standard "Rogue" type of play. Both have nice DPS. Want a Double Bladed Lightsaber? This class is your best bet.

Jedi Sentinel/Sith Marauder - Arguably the best melee DPS in the game right now. They pull out huge amounts of damage in both PvE and PvP. Medium armored and two lightsabers instead of one. 3 specs with 3 different styles of playing. D.O.T/Upfront damage/AoE Damage. They have a number of cooldowns and 4-6 sec combat stealths and also benefit from a 6 sec invulnerability.

Smuggler Gunslinger/ Imperial Agent Sniper - Arguably the best range DPS in the game. Pulling off huge amounts of damage. Early PvP will be enjoyable if you play this class. Benefit from the best AoE damage ability and a 30 meter shield. Immune to interrupts and immune to knockbacks and stuns when popping the monster ability known as Hunker Down. Overall a brilliant DPS and great PvP class to play. Want double pistols and hell amounts of cool? Gunslinger. Wanna be a spy with a sniper rifle? Imperial Agent Sniper.

Again totally my opinion, you can just take what i said as a pinch of salt.

Any class is good for soloing IMO. You all benefit from a companion with a role of either Healing/Tanking and Damage dealing.

Edited by Shaystar

I just want to you primarily decide for yourself if you think you can manage the melee aspect of MOVING AND USING ABILITIES. Because depending on your current hotkey setup this might be a very very unpleansant experience in PvP when you have to run after your enemies that kite you.

Stationary Ranged DPS is way more easy to manage from this point of view, you are either shooting, or moving, your left hand will have an easier time to movement and attack buttons.

Its all a matter of opinion I guess, but having levelled all classes I found the easiest for me to be Shadow/Assassin in PvE.

Whilst I didnt find any class to be horrendously difficult, I found that on my Shadow and Assassin I could comfortably take down Elites 3-4 levels ahead of my own, something I couldnt do regularly with any other class.

For PvP I would say Sentinal/Marauder is easiest, followed by Guardian/Juggernaut - I would expect this to change at some stage however, as BW attempt to improve "balance".

Jedi knight is a fun class to start with. I got a sniper on empire side but it wasnt my thing. As mentioned earlier if you try a few classes, you will have a good idea on what to play quickly. What you find fun is hard to say, but sometimes the movies character resemblances arent always as fun in swtor. It's mostly about combat and theres alot of it.

Yeah, I think I'll play some sith warrior. I'll try em all like you said

Sith Warrior is a good choice. Warriors get their 2nd and 3rd (non ship droid) companions earlier than other classes. They get a great healer early on and their class story is decent. I have lvl 46 SW and I'm still using my healer. I soloed most of the content.

IMO concentrate on one character until you unlock Legacy at the end of Chapter 1. At that point you start gaining Legacy XP along with regular XP. This way, if you create alts, you will grind two types of xp on all your charaters and not waste any.

One of the best stories in the game is Imperial Agent. It's also a challenge to play. It uses a cover mechanism that get an additional quick bar when in cover. It takes a while to master, but a sniper does outrageous DPS and is a challenge to solo.

Edited by Owsley

I lay out a guideline class according to most recent opinions.

Best Melee DPS - Jedi Sentinel/Sith Marauder.

Best Range DPS - Gunslinger/Sniper.

Best Tanking Class - Jedi Shadow.

That's from a PvE Perspective and totally my opinion, you don't have to follow it.

I'll add more detail per class. ( My Opinion)

Jedi Guardian/Sith Juggernaut - Very iconic class but slightly medicore at the moment. When played well it's brilliant, when not ... well high blood pressure. The DPS is debatable, but Focus spec is quite fun to play in PvP Endgame. They make OK tanks atm but they suffer from "squishyness"

I play Guardian as my main and i enjoy it, but it can be at times frustrating. Again, it's an iconic class.

Smuggler Scoundrel/Operative. - A very good healer class and a very fun DPS PvP class. You like shotguns? go scoundrel, you like knifes,poison and blaster rifles? Go Operative. Overall brilliant PvE healing class but not to keen on the DPS myself, having play it as an alt. Side note, the Operative story is a lot better but that's not to say smuggler isn't good as well.

Trooper Vanguard/Bounty Hunter Powertech - Make pretty good tanks, but there not really very good a DPS in PvE content, although they make thrilling PvP DPS's with outstanding survivability. You get a pull and some nice range and melee attacks. Like Blaster rifles? Go Trooper. Like single pistols and a boba fett fantasy? Bounty Hunter for you.

Trooper Commando/Bounty Hunter Mercenary - Very good PvP DPS and PvE DPS. An all range class with 1 main Melee ability and lots of knockback. You lack an interrupt but it's not all that bad. They're very fun to play. Want a huge cannon? Go Commando. Want dual pistols? Bounty Hunter.

Jedi Sage/ Sith Sorcerer - Your typical light armored jedi with lots of force power on different ends of the force. They make very fun PvE and PvP classes in both healing and DPS. Play as a straight upfront DPS or a DOT orientated DPS. Arguably they have the best AoE Heal in the game. They're brilliant at what they do. Want telekinetics and general Master Yoda fantasy? Sage. Feel like dishing out force lightning as Palpatine? Sorcerer.

Jedi Shadow/ Sith Assassin - Arguably the best tanking class in the game right now and almost 2nd to sentinels and marauders when it comes to melee DPS. DPS style depends on the spec, Balance for D.O.T/Melee/AoE Hybrid Damage and Infiltration for your standard "Rogue" type of play. Both have nice DPS. Want a Double Bladed Lightsaber? This class is your best bet.

Jedi Sentinel/Sith Marauder - Arguably the best melee DPS in the game right now. They pull out huge amounts of damage in both PvE and PvP. Medium armored and two lightsabers instead of one. 3 specs with 3 different styles of playing. D.O.T/Upfront damage/AoE Damage. They have a number of cooldowns and 4-6 sec combat stealths and also benefit from a 6 sec invulnerability.

Smuggler Gunslinger/ Imperial Agent Sniper - Arguably the best range DPS in the game. Pulling off huge amounts of damage. Early PvP will be enjoyable if you play this class. Benefit from the best AoE damage ability and a 30 meter shield. Immune to interrupts and immune to knockbacks and stuns when popping the monster ability known as Hunker Down. Overall a brilliant DPS and great PvP class to play. Want double pistols and hell amounts of cool? Gunslinger. Wanna be a spy with a sniper rifle? Imperial Agent Sniper.

Again totally my opinion, you can just take what i said as a pinch of salt.

Any class is good for soloing IMO. You all benefit from a companion with a role of either Healing/Tanking and Damage dealing.

Dang man, even I learned something from all that summary. Tnx.

To the OP: as someone else suggested, try each class and then stick with the one you like best. The most fascinating aspect of SWTOR (coming from someone who doesn't have MMORPG experience, but has about 20+ years of gaming experience since the first C64) is that each class plays so differently, even the specialization branches differ so much between each other in terms of gameplay that it's a totally different experience each time (ie. my Gunslinger spec on the smuggler plays totally different from the Scoundrel one). I did that, tried each class for at least the first few levels and choose my favourites. Currently working on getting a sorcerer up to speed, but also working on a Jedi Consular as well, since they're both counterparts of the REP/IMP factions.

Best of luck to you out there.

Regards,

Opt.

It uses a cover mechanism that get an additional quick bar when in cover. .

The best thing I ever did on my Smuggler and Agent was to immediately turn that stupid cover bar off; there's really no need for it and I saw it as more of a nuisance than a help due to it moving my skills. But, that is just my preference.

With Legacy you will want to play them all at least until you finish chapter 2 for all the class buffs. Also make sure your first level 50 is a Human for the 100 presence bonus. Also for every companion you finish all their dialogues with you get 10 more presence per companion. So its best to just play everything.

Presence if you didnt know makes all your companions better which means if you have a ton of it you can basically use your companions to powerlevel yourself. For example on my new server I only have one 50 whos a human with all companion quests finished. I have 152 bonus presence on my new jedi sentinel alt which adds 1255 health, 50 damage, and 35 healing to my companion.

Edited by Dabrixmgp

I've been playing for just over a month and still find the Legacy stuff to be a bit strange. Especially the craftable item reward stuff that's supposedly powerful. I googled the items (thinking they were similar to BOA stuff in WoW) and was underwhelmed. They're good blues from what I could tell, but really I need to read more up on this before I pass judgment on them.

I've been playing for just over a month and still find the Legacy stuff to be a bit strange. Especially the craftable item reward stuff that's supposedly powerful. I googled the items (thinking they were similar to BOA stuff in WoW) and was underwhelmed. They're good blues from what I could tell, but really I need to read more up on this before I pass judgment on them.

They are worthless. Better to just use the mods you get from questing in each zone. They dont scale like WoW heirlooms. Also I have no clue where to even get them. I got one weapon token when I was like 25 then nothing all the way to 50 and I did about every quest until I was late 40s then mostly PvP.