Worst/Most pointless companions in the game?

Guildrum

LS meshes well with Khem Val?

my vote so far has to be Scourge. As a LS defense spec jedi guardian he more or less just takes up space on the ship. Or if I am running a low lever person through essels hes there to dazzle the newbies (which was originally unintentional, I just figured he wanted to stretch his legs)

:D.

As a foil, yes, my SI and Khem have an interesting dynamic. They rarely agree, but it's always fun to watch.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admit it. It's because Jaxo is easier to get into bed, right? ;)

My trooper bedded both.

Truth is, I would have never allowed an Imperial defector access to the most elite special ops squad in the galaxy. Don't get me wrong, she's a great field medic, but that high of a security clearance she would have never earned. Had this been a real world, Elara Dorne would have been at some research facility under an amazing number of security cameras, firewalls and other monitoring software for years.

Certainly not out in the field, privy to some of the most classified field ops data the Republic has to keep secret with almost no security to keep her from sending encrypted emails from the convenience of a ship that has 4 other lifeforms on it to watch her. We are supposed to believe that she's pure as snow because she is the male trooper's only love interest (with an accent to boot).

Jaxo on the other hand has no such baggage and would have made an awesome technical operative for the team. Yes, I said operative. Jaxo could have been like an agent.

Edited by Raeln

okay, i'll be the one to say it, Blizz, I've got a Powertech BH so having another ranged tank is useless, and on a personal note, I wouldn't allow one of the gypsies of the universe to scuttle his thieving little "too-hehe" behind onto my expensive ship and risk turning my back on him. It just seems like a great way to wind up coming back to your ship and finding it stripped to the frame and sitting on cinderblocks.

I'm only going to discuss story-wise, since various specs/classes can get various mileage out of the various companion archetypes. I've played Agent, Trooper, and Consular to 50, and gotten BH to about half that. But these are the only ones that bother me.

Ensign Temple. I mean really, WHY is she there? Since she joins your crew for less than compelling reasons, you'd think they'd at least write her to be a little more interesting. The only interesting thing about her - her severe Imperial patriotism unaffected by her personal hardships - is actually rather annoying in the end. Morality-wise she is much like my agent, but unlike my agent cannot recognize the Empire's shortcomings and downfalls. Is she just dumb? GAH!

Vector. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Vector (aka, Mr. Cipher Nine), but his role in the story is a question mark. He was important and helpful on Alderaan, but how he went from diplomacy to working for Imperial Intelligence is quite a leap. And once he's on your ship, he pretty much only provides companionship while he pursues his own diplomatic missions (while the other companions, either for employment (Kaliyo) or patriotism, seem interested in what you're doing). Of course, I'd never have turned him away or got rid of him though. After 5 planets of just you and Kaliyo he is a sweet breath of dreamy pheromones.

Zenith. Like Vector, I also like Zenith. He's interesting, I just don't know why he's on my ship. You'd think after freeing Balmorra he would want to stick around, not tag along with some Jedi doing tasks he couldn't care less about. While he opens up slightly as he gains affection, I wish we could learn more about him, his character has so much potential but he feels half-written. And WHY no romance?

Iresso. Everyone picks on him. Hell, even Jorgan did (at least that convo was entertaining). He's just a nice guy! He's doing his best! It's a lot of pressure being the only female romance option on a ship with two more interesting but unavailable lady-killers (Theran figuratively, Zenith literally). He's got his problems but he doesn't let them get him down! He thinks you're amazing and he's here for you!

...you know, perhaps I like Iresso more than I thought.

Vector. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Vector (aka, Mr. Cipher Nine), but his role in the story is a question mark. He was important and helpful on Alderaan, but how he went from diplomacy to working for Imperial Intelligence is quite a leap. And once he's on your ship, he pretty much only provides companionship while he pursues his own diplomatic missions (while the other companions, either for employment (Kaliyo) or patriotism, seem interested in what you're doing). Of course, I'd never have turned him away or got rid of him though. After 5 planets of just you and Kaliyo he is a sweet breath of dreamy pheromones.

he taught my agent how to be diplomatic in the field :D

she won over the hearts and loyalty of countless groups towards the empire's cause, instead of killing off thier leaders.

and yess, sweet, dreamy pheremones * sneaks into crew bunks and sniffs his pillow* :3

on a relevant note, if you listen to his dialogue, hes basically DPS due to his enhanced " protector" role in the hive. you even get to be cute and call him your odd, something or other protector.

i just geared him up glass cannon spec, loaded him with steady kolto, and let "my honeybee" do the stinging :D

Edited by Crezelle

As dps Sorc I have done fine with Andronikos and then with Ashara and SOrc does get a 2nd tank: Xalek, who of course is bugged and gets no benefit from shield and absorption gear!

Thus Xalek is the worst companion to me (sadly I relaised that after gearing him up and that way I am kinda stuck with him now till I managed to gear up another one, maybe Khem again, since Ashara wears slave girl outfit now LOL)

Why is Xalek the worst? Because he got no story or quests behind him after you get him, the conversations are bring and just end at some point with his swear of allegiance. Boring, he feels like a lategame added appendix.

Plus he is BUGGED which makes him the worst tank pet of all, low chance of shielding and light armor = total paper tank.

now that has deperesed me i was really looking forward to having him and what worse is he wasnt a late edition he was one of the first companions to be seen :(

now that has deperesed me i was really looking forward to having him and what worse is he wasnt a late edition he was one of the first companions to be seen :(

It blows. Xalek could be so cool, he looks and sounds awesome and he wears your old gear. I also loved how he was acquired as a companion, it might have been my favorite part(s) of the SI story. :(

Does anyone else think it's annoying that most of the companion quests involve -

'Right I'm off to sort out this personal problem!'

"can I come with?"

'No, you can fade to black and wait on the ship'

"oh"

*fade to black*

'Well I'm back, and I sorted that stuff I told you about'

"er, great, I guess..."

I was right looking forward to going to meet that Jedi Master with Ashara to try and bring him to my cause of a Just Empire, but no, I instead got to try out the extra padding on me ship seats as I sat about doing nowt waiting for her to come back and report.

Does anyone else think it's annoying that most of the companion quests involve -

'Right I'm off to sort out this personal problem!'

"can I come with?"

'No, you can fade to black and wait on the ship'

"oh"

*fade to black*

'Well I'm back, and I sorted that stuff I told you about'

"er, great, I guess..."

I was right looking forward to going to meet that Jedi Master with Ashara to try and bring him to my cause of a Just Empire, but no, I instead got to try out the extra padding on me ship seats as I sat about doing nowt waiting for her to come back and report.

I hate that. My ladies are always 'well, I will come with and help' and they are always 'no, you have your own stuff to do' or 'no, leave me alone' or 'no, i don't want my friends hitting on you'.

Ensign Temple. I mean really, WHY is she there? Since she joins your crew for less than compelling reasons, you'd think they'd at least write her to be a little more interesting. The only interesting thing about her - her severe Imperial patriotism unaffected by her personal hardships - is actually rather annoying in the end. Morality-wise she is much like my agent, but unlike my agent cannot recognize the Empire's shortcomings and downfalls. Is she just dumb? GAH!

Sniper agent and Temple is poetry in motion for pure kill speed

that is why she is there

Gault.

Aw, I love Gault. I didn't have anything personal against him, if he wants to go to the trouble of creating a clone carcass of himself for when the inevitable catches up with him, that's cool man! My bounty hunter loves to collect on jobs his employer *thinks* are complete!

Of course if your BH is a sociopath or insists on completing all jobs to the T, the option to kill him would be nice. Otherwise Gault's deal is pretty sweet. Also he's basically Bugs Bunny.

Sniper agent and Temple is poetry in motion for pure kill speed

that is why she is there

I'll refer you to the first phrase of my post.

I'm only going to discuss story-wise,

My op uses Temple too. She's dressed to the nines in my hand-me-downs, and I feel like the ranged DPS companions are better than the melee ones. I'll take her damage, but I probably wouldn't care if she suddenly became mute/was replaced by another ranged DPS.

IA : Vector. I don't know why he is on my ship. I don't need diplomat. I don't need a bug linked to an alien hive mind, probably spying on the Empire. And you are totally useless on the field. Also, STOP ROMANCING ME, I mean, I told you TWICE I wasn't interested, but you keep coming.... It's seriously creepy. And even then, you send me love mail with gifts.

SCORPIO : "I want to kill you, and the more I stay with you, the more likely I will find a way to kill you". Ok, and if I kill you right now, I'll get rid of you, right ? Let me grab a gun.

Trooper : Tanno Vik. he always comes and say "I'm gonna kill some people for money", and I always answer "no way, you are a trooper". Next conversation he act like I said nothing "I killed those people and earn money, here's your share".

Consular : all of them except nadia ? Qyzen is fun on the beginning, but his obsession for hunting is boring. Tharan have an horrible voice, and ego. Holiday is awesome. Iresso is fine.

Smuggler : Corso "Howdy ? I'm a farm boy and I love the republic. I also served as a militia man, but now I'm smuggler but I don't want to break to many laws...."

Guss tuno while fightning. Plz, stop screaming "YEPEEE" and stuff like that every minutes in my ears.

Bowdaar seems fine. Mostly because it's a wookie. But so far his conversations are all based on "I'm free thanks to you, but I remember how it is to be a slave". Yeah right, you told me about it like 3times now. Can we move on ?

Lieutenant Pierce - I remember getting him as a marauder, letting him tank some stuff, though he'd be useful. He died in seconds and I got pissed really fast having to stand forever casting hatred to heal him up from scratch. He's all work and no play, everything he says concerns military shenanigans.

Broonmark - I like the furry beast with the face of a fly, honestly. But his story and personality just don't make him engaging. Yet he's a better tank than Pierce, granted.

Mako isn't exactly pointless but I just hate her guts personally. :D

Xalek - I like how he looks and how he talks, and he's your apprentice which also makes sense. But he's a tank, and Khem's a tank. Redundant. He arrives late in the game and his story seems rushed and not very detailed. maybe even a tad bland. But the good thing is you get his affection up real fast if you're a DS SI (gets you 112 points or so minimum).

Temple - don't like her accent, her looks, her story and her duty-bound personality. Usually use a tank on both my operative and sniper anyway.

Edited by StormNaara

^ this.

sure hes funny... but my BH is supposed to stick to contract... how he swindled her out of that, iuno, but it stinks

I agree...d. At the beginning, I would have liked to kill him and make the clone (assuming it was moving too) my companion in his stead. But in later convos with him, I found out that wouldn't have worked, so I will just say this is one of those, "sacrifice it for the story" moments.

*sigh* People, this is the STORY forum. Not the game mechanics forum. This is for speaking from a narative perspective (especially since a lot of people really don't understand how to use their tank companions, or try to use their DPS companions as tanks)

Of the companions I've acquired to date, I find Vette, Mako, Risha, Qyzen, Khem, Akaavi and Skadge to be the most useless and/or annoying (for me). I can respect those who do enjoy them, however. :D Edited by Belora

My trooper bedded both.

Truth is, I would have never allowed an Imperial defector access to the most elite special ops squad in the galaxy. Don't get me wrong, she's a great field medic, but that high of a security clearance she would have never earned. Had this been a real world, Elara Dorne would have been at some research facility under an amazing number of security cameras, firewalls and other monitoring software for years.

Certainly not out in the field, privy to some of the most classified field ops data the Republic has to keep secret with almost no security to keep her from sending encrypted emails from the convenience of a ship that has 4 other lifeforms on it to watch her. We are supposed to believe that she's pure as snow because she is the male trooper's only love interest (with an accent to boot).

Jaxo on the other hand has no such baggage and would have made an awesome technical operative for the team. Yes, I said operative. Jaxo could have been like an agent.

From a real world perspective, I fully agree. I also think the Trooper would lose his command if someone found out he was fraternizing with an NCO in his Chain of Command (which is EXACTLY what SGT Dorne is).

But THIS, however, is Star Wars. About the furthest thing from the Real World as you can get. Rules are different, and very little in it actually makes sense. But hey, we all signed on for this ride, and it's a pretty fun one so far. :D

I'm grateful that they added skadge. For those of us who rp'd a Death Watch type mercenary, skadge fit in well. I wish i got skadge at the time i got gault. I personally never use gault and dont need his ranged dps but im sure a powertech would disagree with me.

I'm grateful that they added skadge. For those of us who rp'd a Death Watch type mercenary, skadge fit in well. I wish i got skadge at the time i got gault. I personally never use gault and dont need his ranged dps but im sure a powertech would disagree with me.

Is your BH male? I was explaining Skadge to a friend the other day and it occurred to me that a male BH might not even see his objectionably leery comments and so he would just come off as a crazy ******e, which is acceptable, as far as it goes. I mean, I have no problem with that, just the ugh creepy factor that he has.