Why is Bioware so silent on major gear issues from 5.10?

Screaming_Ziva

Alternately, they're ignoring it because 95+% of the player base doesn't care one way or another because they already faceroll the content they actually play in 230-ish gear and barely touch regular PVP, much less ranked PVP.

Do not mistake "loud" for "numerous" when it comes to the player base.

Personally getting some 252 something or other (probably a weapon or offhand if its using stuff I'm choosing since those have the biggest effect on tech/force power) just from doing regular content will be a nice bonus, but I honestly couldn't care less about gear that's going to be obsolete the moment 6.0 drops with five more levels and minimum 260 rating green quality drops for the new content.

Exactly gear doesn't matter...everytime they will just up gear to new rating. And when 6.0 drops with new gear,same people will *****, how they grinded and grinded 258 and how that was better than 6.0 gearing system.

Do you want them to update you with news everytime someone takes a dump at BW? People stop being so obssesive with new gear. They said they didn't want for old gear and new gear to not give bonus set...and that they are working on it....just save new gear and play with old one...or use only armoring of old for bonus set.

There's even petition post to reduce ranked weekly...do you really think they gonna do that,after they went through the trouble of putting it to 50....."hey we just did that...but let's reverse it back......."....Use your brain people. Personally I don't play ranked,because it's a joke and mat farm. Even though if I really need that mat I'll play some at some point.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to add this post to this thread, because this guy explains in great detail exactly why and how this game has gone the way it has over the years.

This post comes from this thread here: "WHY does it take so long to FIX something ? 6.0 is my last hope..."

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959224

Kryptonomic wrote many other awesome posts going into even greater detail how the development and testing for games works in that thread. He has worked in the field of testing for MMOs, and isn't just theorizing as we all often do as to why the game has so many bugs and other issues as he actually has worked in the field of testing games, particularly MMOs.

I suggest anyone who finds themselves wondering what the heck is going on with SWTOR and why it's gone the route it has, and ended up the way it has read through that thread particularly what Kryptonomic wrote.

Yes, it’s a very good explanation.

The issues will be within the grasp and control of the current devs once they understand the entire code. Understandably, with the amount of different variations of coding done in 7 years time by multiple teams, they are likely to come across new bugs that they dont fully understand or have a fix to just by adding their own code with new content and updates. There is a reason for the software term "patch." Its expected that coders will come across new problems and have to take time to research the issue and patch it until another issue arises.

It's not like the original team left last month. That was 6 years ago and people have been giving this excuse for 6 years. Seems to me SWTOR and possibly BW:Austin is the stepping stone project/studio. The place where you get your feet wet and move on. It worked for Ben Irving.

I've seen this sentiment before. Why should we have confidence that this iteration of the development staff (if it's different from the last bunch) will understand the code at a deeper level? If the team is smaller than before how can we think they will grasp what you're saying they will? If the bugs seen have not changed through each patch it would seem to say that grasping and controlling the code might not be as close to in reach, no?

Nothing indicates they will ever get it, nor does anything indicate that they wont. Im not saying we need to have confidence in them either. As ive said multiple times, only God is omniscient enough to know how this dev team is doing and/or will do given enough time.

It's not like the original team left last month. That was 6 years ago and people have been giving this excuse for 6 years. Seems to me SWTOR and possibly BW:Austin is the stepping stone project/studio. The place where you get your feet wet and move on. It worked for Ben Irving.

Is there a problem with that? Its an old game that has an unforgiving customer-base. If you can endure thus game, it allows you to highlight your abilities for the next job. Its called business and life.

Is there a problem with that? Its an old game that has an unforgiving customer-base. If you can endure thus game, it allows you to highlight your abilities for the next job. Its called business and life.

Congrats on completely missing the point.

• 1 month later...

1 - This is an intended change. That being said, we know there is definitely some friction from this change and so keep raising your concerns/feedback which I can pass to the team. We have made no secret of the fact that we know we are due for some big itemization changes to address a variety of issues around gearing. Please keep telling us what you would like to see in the future from gearing in SWTOR. We will continue to gather feedback and as we get into the next year, we will have active conversations with you about future gearing plans.

This is a terrible idea, this needs to be removed as soon as possible, as it only makes the disparity between classes worse due to the inability to optimize stats which is necessary to allow bottom-of-the-barrel classes to scrape by. If 6.0 is again raising DPS checks/level cap/etc. and there is no option to min/max stats, then it will only hurt the remaining raiding community and could even make several classes/disciplines non-viable due to a lack of stat optimization on top of already poor balancing.

This is a terrible idea, this needs to be removed as soon as possible, as it only makes the disparity between classes worse due to the inability to optimize stats which is necessary to allow bottom-of-the-barrel classes to scrape by. If 6.0 is again raising DPS checks/level cap/etc. and there is no option to min/max stats, then it will only hurt the remaining raiding community and could even make several classes/disciplines non-viable due to a lack of stat optimization on top of already poor balancing.

You can still optimize just the same as before. The slot-locking of gear pieces does not prevent optimization completely.

These are good questions, so let me try to address them.

1 - This is an intended change. That being said, we know there is definitely some friction from this change and so keep raising your concerns/feedback which I can pass to the team. We have made no secret of the fact that we know we are due for some big itemization changes to address a variety of issues around gearing. Please keep telling us what you would like to see in the future from gearing in SWTOR. We will continue to gather feedback and as we get into the next year, we will have active conversations with you about future gearing plans.

-eric

I play marauder/sentinel... I like playing melee dps classes... I shouldn’t have to level up a healer, in order to optimize the class and play style I prefer to engage in. No other mmo forces a player to play different classes in order to gear up their main character. This is absolutely ridiculous.

This is like forcing someone to get a certification to fly commercial class aviation vehicles in order to get Full coverage on their car insurance...

-eric

Gearing MUST metter in SWTOR again. I play SWTOR atm ONLY because it's Star Wars.... The Endgame Content is Boring AF - you haven't any need to Progress through Dungeons and Raids ... I mean Flashpoints and Operations because of the gifts you give us, like the Star Quest for Ossus. Its 230+ GS Gear and we can make everything we want Solo with our Companions :s We have no need to go in older Operations or Flashpoints to Farm Good looking Gear for our Transmogg's (Outfit designer) because Yyou EVERYTHING IN THE CARTEL MARKET:rak_04: Speeders, Mounts, Lightsabers, Swords etc. So we have no real need to go and Play Content beside the Storys.

For my Part, my wish is: Make SWTOR to the MMO like WoW. Copy the Good Ideas and make the Game to a Good Game and keep the Story Telling but with Content we can do at endgame. Or Change it to something different like:

To keep it Short its in the Spoiler:

Bring Story Content but Gatet. So you can make more, longer, BETTER, Enggame Content which we can play through and make our Character better. We need Quests, Daylis and overall activities beside Gearing we can enjoy and play for good pastime. Achivement Hunting, Swoopracing, Events, Invasions where we can Defent one Planet against the Empire as an Rep. Player (or help the Empire in this Event to get rewards) - yea its a Copy Idea from WoW, and? It fit to Star Wars and Blizzard Copy Ideas from SWTOR so why dont make it the other way

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/22820909

https://de.wowhead.com/guides/battle-for-azeroth-incursions

Revived the MMO Part of the Game. I have no Problem to pay 60€ for a Expansions and to need a Sub. to Play SWTOR. But for that you need Good, Entertaining/enjoyable Content:) You need at Enggame a "Carrot for you Nose" for what you Playing the Game beside the Story. Players must see direct and clear what they must do next to get Progress. To Gear yourself you must run Flashpoints, After you reached (for example) Gearscore 400 through the Flashpoint Loot you can Check ingame what to do next. So you can see: You can run Operations with 395+GS over the Finder. You Queue and make the Operations via the "LFR" Mode where Items with 415gs can drop for you. After Reaching 415gs you can run with a Groupe the Operations in Normal Mode where drops 430gs . And. So. On. In Short: The Player has to be taken by the hand/It has to be like a red thread on which Players can see what to do. Instead if Searching themself activities and employment to overcome the boredom:rolleyes: Hope you know what i mean:cool:

My advice for you Eric is, Play World of Warcraft for youself and you see after Playing it WHAT make it so good and how the Players have activities beside all other stuff ingame - and you know how they keep the Player ingame ;)

But to be clear I DONT blame you, you Team and SWTOR to make a bad Job. I can imagine thats it's really hard for you to Dev. for SWTOR with the Issues you have. But sadly its a fact thats SWTOR is beside the Story Boring as **** and out there are still better Games with the same Hotkey Gameplay and better Gameplayer-Feeling where you can make and have better enjoyable things - I play WoW over 8 Years activ and its still enhiyable :) And THIS is my wish for SWTOR and for you to make the Game to THAT Game, Eric <3

Would it not be a Star Wars game I would not play it then the Content, the Engine and overall the whole Game with the Gameplay and Character Feeling are to broken and weird (You turn the whole Character around when you move the Mouse Left and Right and the whole Char is instant Turning, instead he is Moving the Head and upper Body first (like in WoW:rolleyes:). It lacks everything beside good Story:jawa_mad: (and Ossus is the first step to, I hope, a better Game with all these things it needs in the Upcoming Expansion.)

Edited by Kampflerk

-eric

Hi Eric,

Would you be able to explain the rationale of this intended change, I'm struggling to imagine how anyone thought this change could benefit the player base?

Hi Eric,

Would you be able to explain the rationale of this intended change, I'm struggling to imagine how anyone thought this change could benefit the player base?

Right. Just telling people "it's working as intended" isn't good enough. Players ought to have an actual explanation of why it was changed this way - for what reasons/purposes?

Eric, can you please give a little more detail on exactly why this change was implemented? Maybe it's not as bad as it seems, and the players simply don't see the bigger picture. Surely there is some logical reason behind the change.

You can still optimize just the same as before. The slot-locking of gear pieces does not prevent optimization completely.

No, you cannot still optimize "just the same as before." Any player running a dps class without a healing discipline is now forced to use an alt to gain gear with the modifications that have the optimal stats for those specific slots. So while your second sentence is correct in that it does not prevent optimization completely, your first sentence is totally false in the assertion that players can still optimize "just the same as before."

No, you cannot still optimize "just the same as before." Any player running a dps class without a healing discipline is now forced to use an alt to gain gear with the modifications that have the optimal stats for those specific slots. So while your second sentence is correct in that it does not prevent optimization completely, your first sentence is totally false in the assertion that players can still optimize "just the same as before."

You can buy a healing 252 piece from the vendor on Ossus, and upgrade it to 258's. You just need to use MWS for both, so no you do not need to run it on an alt. It could be faster if you run it on an alt, but it isn't required.

You can buy a healing 252 piece from the vendor on Ossus, and upgrade it to 258's. You just need to use MWS for both, so no you do not need to run it on an alt. It could be faster if you run it on an alt, but it isn't required.

I think you missed his point. Which was to say you can’t optimise the way you use to. It has changed how you have to do it and it takes twice as long to grind it out.

No, his point was pretty clear and inaccurate. He said you CAN'T optimize. And in fact you can.

No, you cannot still optimize "just the same as before." Any player running a dps class without a healing discipline is now forced to use an alt to gain gear with the modifications that have the optimal stats for those specific slots.

I guess this means something else to me when I read it. Seems pretty clear to me. But I guess “just the same as before” must means something else is Olag language.

You wouldn’t happen to have a spare Olag dictionary I could borrow or a google translation link. I tried to find one and came back with this quote from Urbandictionary.com

quote from https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=OLAG

“O.L.A.G

Office ladys at giaser, they are ANNOYING mean ppl when ur in trouble, and mean when ur not!

i hate them

by I.H.a.t.e.y.o.u December 14, 2003”

And I found this picture too. I didn’t know you’d done film work. Have you been in anything else?https://goo.gl/images/uNn5Pg

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I guess this means something else to me when I read it. Seems pretty clear to me. But I guess “just the same as before” must means something else is Olag language.

You wouldn’t happen to have a spare Olag dictionary I could borrow or a google translation link. I tried to find one and came back with this quote from Urbandictionary.com

And I found this picture too. I didn’t know you’d done film work. Have you been in anything else?https://goo.gl/images/uNn5Pg

Interpretation is a crazy thing, right?

No, his point was pretty clear and inaccurate. He said you CAN'T optimize. And in fact you can.

Actually, that is not what I said. You might want to go back and read it again, or you can allow your misquote to stand. It's all the same to me since it's there for everyone to read.

Actually, that is not what I said. You might want to go back and read it again, or you can allow your misquote to stand. It's all the same to me since it's there for everyone to read.

"Just the same as before" were my specific words, and they mean the same thing now as they meant when i originally said them. It sounds like others may not have understood what they meant.

"Just the same as before" were my specific words, and they mean the same thing now as they meant when i originally said them. It sounds like others may not have understood what they meant.

I had no trouble understanding what they meant by 'not able to optimize the same way'. I'm fortunate because I do play a heal spec, but can see things from the viewpoint of pure dps or dps/tanks.

Olag, I think you just misunderstood what the complaint was. Still, it's great to see someone who's happy with the direction the game is taking, even if I don't share your enthusiasm.

-eric

Hi Eric,

Hi Eric,

Every change isnt required to benefit the player base. There are other agendas within development that serve many other purposes. Just curious where you came to the conclusion that the change had to benefit the playerbase?