1 Gear Item per Week

Wimbleton

Unless you do NiM raiding or purchase the NIM components or the gear that has been made with NiM components, my calculations will put those pieces around 150-200m per, early on.

This is completely by design. 14 weeks to gear all my chars, they want 4 months of subs.

Thats not including drops (252) from crates which I got a single item from >600 crates opened.

Edited by Wimbleton

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

252 gear is a net zero gain due to bolster. You need a 252 shell to get 258 (shell +~3 MWS). So you could send 258 components via legacy for the right side items. You’ll want to test if the armorings can be removed and reinstalled before you do this because on test you could remove armorings but only put them back in the or orginal shell, not in any other gear. So you’d not want to buy a piece of sorc gear on a mara because you’d only b able to send mod and enh, and the mara would be stuck with the sorc armoring.

You could, however, funnel all mod/enh to a single char.

Pretty tedious.

You do want to do the Flesh and Steel (kill the two world bosses on Ossus) quest because you get choice of mainhand or offhand as reward (252). And even though you bolster to 252, previously tech or force power and relic proc do not bolster, making those a priority as far as 252 goes.

I did Flesh and Steel world bosses twice yesterday and the only group that got credit for the kill was the group that got the kill shot. I put in a lolticket.

Edited by Wimbleton

You do want to do the Flesh and Steel (kill the two world bosses on Ossus) quest because you get choice of mainhand or offhand as reward (252). And even though you bolster to 252, previously tech or force power and relic proc do not bolster, making those a priority as far as 252 goes.

I did Flesh and Steel world bosses twice yesterday and the only group that got credit for the kill was the group that got the kill shot. I put in a lolticket.

I did it too and from my choice of MH and OH I got a Critical Earpiece :p

So yes, gearing will not be such a pleasure this time, but luckily I wont have enough time to play, so I will wait until people complain enough so that they change it ;)

Edited by merovejec

I did it too and from my choice of MH and OH I got a Critical Earpiece :p

So yes, gearing will not be such a pleasure this time, but luckily I wont have enough time to play, so I will wait until people complain enough so that they change it ;)

Then Dear Force of the galaxy, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN to it hurts, cause i dont have the patience any more to grind. Give us a mission to get a gear item piece per mission or something but this other system i'll just get tired then be done with the whole darn thing.

Unless you do NiM raiding or purchase the NIM components or the gear that has been made with NiM components, my calculations will put those pieces around 150-200m per, early on.

This is completely by design. 14 weeks to gear all my chars, they want 4 months of subs.

Thats not including drops (252) from crates which I got a single item from >600 crates opened.

A lot of us saved t4 crates "just in case" the 252 dropped from the ones earned before 5.10. They didn't drop 252. What did drop 252 were the t4 crates after 5.10. The reason you got a piece of 252 is because you "earned" new crates by disintegrating tons of stuff and gaining command exp.

So you're not looking at 252 drops out of 600 crates, you're looking at drops out of like 15-20 crates.

That's what I'm seeing. More data would be welcome.

Looking at the weeklies, getting the 252 is going to be super quick compared to T4, if you have alts and are slightly clever about it. If it wasn't for the reputation cap, by next tuesday you'd be seeing people in almost full 252. From there it's just 3 crystals and a shell for the 258.

I was worried too, but now I'm worried the opposite way. Why buy a 246 at the gtn when you can get a 252 for walking into a warzone and hitting an aoe taunt? That's literally how hard it is to complete one of the weeklies. Other weeklies are just grinding out set numbers of repeatable solo missions, and a couple of group/boss activities.

We were lead to believe that UC was going to be the primary method of getting crystals, but it's really just a supplement to the weeklies. Their PR department could of emphasized that a bit more.

TLDR: Gearing is going to be easier, not harder from now on. There's just a hoop that your legacy needs to jump through.

Then Dear Force of the galaxy, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN to it hurts, cause i dont have the patience any more to grind. Give us a mission to get a gear item piece per mission or something but this other system i'll just get tired then be done with the whole darn thing.

You're in the wrong genre.....

I understand getting the 252 for the shell, but if you already have 248 gear, does putting in 252 (or even being bolstered to 252 if they do that) actually matter that much? I opened about 10 new crates so far, and managed to get a 252 relic, and after adjusting for augments, it gives me +6 end, +3 pow, +2 mastery. Wow. Big woop? That endurance man! My health pool would go from 133678 to 133738! If all 14 pieces give similar I guess that would be 60 * 14 = 840 extra health! Plus 5% from buffs = 882. A 0.66% increase!

Or are relics a bad example?

I understand getting the 252 for the shell, but if you already have 248 gear, does putting in 252 (or even being bolstered to 252 if they do that) actually matter that much? I opened about 10 new crates so far, and managed to get a 252 relic, and after adjusting for augments, it gives me +6 end, +3 pow, +2 mastery. Wow. Big woop? That endurance man! My health pool would go from 133678 to 133738! If all 14 pieces give similar I guess that would be 60 * 14 = 840 extra health! Plus 5% from buffs = 882. A 0.66% increase!

Or are relics a bad example?

Min maxing is about min maxing.

When considering bolster, mainhand, offhand and relics are important because although the gear bolsters, tech/force power does not, nor does the proc on the relic.

Gear is not game breaking, but gear min maxing is a game within a game. I just always want to hit the field with every possible increase in stats that I can give myself.

Might not matter to most people... to others, it does.

Why buy a 246 at the gtn when you can get a 252 for walking into a warzone and hitting an aoe taunt? That's literally how hard it is to complete one of the weeklies. Other weeklies are just grinding out set numbers of repeatable solo missions, and a couple of group/boss activities.

252 gear will be negligible in pvp because bolster is at 252. It won't be worth min-maxing 252 gear when 258 is the max gear.

As mainly pvpers, many of us don't enjoy doing daily/weekly pve missions. I for one find it boring. Furthermore, many of us wzs players also don't enjoy or don't have dedicated teams for ranked arenas. That's the main problem; having to do undesired content in order to be competitive in desired content. The gear is locked behind reputation, and there is no way to gain reputation from doing wzs (possibly except the occasional rotating weekly, don't remember if it gives rep, but either way that's not good enough). Of course gear above bolster lvl has an advantage in wzs.

Bolster should be increased to 258 or at least 256, or the reputation requirement should be removed, along with making the weekly masterwork mission also have a wz objective possibility. The rotating weekly should be remade, and also always offer the possibility to complete "one of the following objectives" to accommodate all the types of players who need the gear.

You get a free crystal, every week, just for getting 8 medals in a wz. Per character.

You guys talk about the glory days of quick gearing, and how you could get the basic expertise set in 4.0 within a week.

On Monday night I'll be up to 6-7 pieces of 252 on my main, and on Tuesday, if I max out the rep I'll probably be up to 12 pieces of 252. It would be a full set of 252 if not for the inability to legacy implants/earpiece/relics.

That's almost as quickly as the glory days of 4.0, except you can use 252 for pve, top end raiding, whatever.

The two issues I actually see is that there's no way to grind rep via pvp. Well, in a couple of weeks, that'll be over too. The second issue is that some people might not have alts to take advantage of the easy crystal quests.

Is there an actual, factual and researched viewpoint that contradicts any of this?

You get a free crystal, every week, just for getting 8 medals in a wz. Per character.

No, that's a rotating weekly that changes every week. Another week it will be to complete 5 flashpoints or something.

On Monday night I'll be up to 6-7 pieces of 252 on my main, and on Tuesday, if I max out the rep I'll probably be up to 12 pieces of 252. It would be a full set of 252 if not for the inability to legacy implants/earpiece/relics.

Well that's great but as said not everyone enjoys all types of content, and should not have to do other content to gear up for the specific content they do enjoy.

This system has the added effect of reducing wz pops, as pvpers spend their time farming pve on Ossus.

You guys talk about the glory days of quick gearing, and how you could get the basic expertise set in 4.0 within a week.

That's almost as quickly as the glory days of 4.0, except you can use 252 for pve, top end raiding, whatever.

The two issues I actually see is that there's no way to grind rep via pvp. Well, in a couple of weeks, that'll be over too. The second issue is that some people might not have alts to take advantage of the easy crystal quests.

Is there an actual, factual and researched viewpoint that contradicts any of this?

Can you explain in detail how you will do this so that we may all benefit from your wisdom

No, that's a rotating weekly that changes every week. Another week it will be to complete 5 flashpoints or something.

Well that's great but as said not everyone enjoys all types of content, and should not have to do other content to gear up for the specific content they do enjoy.

This system has the added effect of reducing wz pops, as pvpers spend their time farming pve on Ossus.

Oh, so it's going to be something equally as hard as getting 8 medals in a wz. Not even worth mentioning. I can already solo some master mode flashpoints when I just had 248, and now my gear is even better. I doubt if it will be 5 flashpoints, more like "1 flashpoint, your choice of difficulty". Easy.

What is worth mentioning, is that when other content is made, pvp pops do slow down, because people, for whatever reason, are doing the new content. That's whats called "normal". It'll go back soon enough. It still took me about 30 seconds of waiting for a pop just now.

I agree with you on the rep system, and how we're forced to grind it. However, actually earning the currency for gear can be done just with unassembled components, if you really wanted to.

The level of complaints here is unmerited.

Has anyone been able to confirm you can swap the Armor piece into legacy gear to swap over to another Alt. You could not do so on the pts.

My legacy gear is working, and my 252s are used by mutliple toons.

What caused the confusion, I think, is the way mods and enhancements are locked into "gear slot". A dps mod I pulled from a leg, can only be used for a leg. I tested it, and couldn't put it into anything else.

That's kinda a bummer if you like having certain stats on certain pieces, but it's nothing that can't be adjusted for.

Can you explain in detail how you will do this so that we may all benefit from your wisdom

Sure.

I got 1 main and 7 alts I pvp with. All 70.

All of my alts currently have 2 crystals. So they can all buy my main one piece of gear. All I had to do was do the pvp weekly, and buy the first crystal off the smuggler. I could buy the second tier crystal, and get all my alts to 3 crystals, but I probably won't.

Since relics/implants/earpiece can't be legacy, it's up to my main to buy them. My main currenly has 5 crystals, and will probably have 6 before the week has ended.

I also got 2 pieces of 252 from t4 crates. For the sake of the complainers, we can remove those cause RNG.

Adding up all the low effort crystal gains on my alts, and adding my main, that's enough crystals for 10 pieces of 252.

The only reason I don't have them yet is the rep system.

All of this is done by just doing the story on my main. My alts didn't even do the story, just traveled to Ossus, picked up the pvp weekly and the cheaper crystal.

This is super easy.

However, actually earning the currency for gear can be done just with unassembled components, if you really wanted to.

The level of complaints here is unmerited.

Yes, we can buy the crystals with UCs, but they'll be useless so long as we don't farm the rep. Plus, it will take many months to gear just 1 char with UCs only.

Oh, so it's going to be something equally as hard as getting 8 medals in a wz. Not even worth mentioning. I can already solo some master mode flashpoints when I just had 248, and now my gear is even better. I doubt if it will be 5 flashpoints, more like "1 flashpoint, your choice of difficulty". Easy.

Once again, maybe FPs are cool for you, but not everyone enjoys all content. It's not about hardship, but about enjoyment. This is a game! Daily pve quests are also easy, but that doesn't mean everyone enjoys them.

Yes, we can buy the crystals with UCs, but they'll be useless so long as we don't farm the rep. Plus, it will take many months to gear just 1 char with UCs only.

Once again, maybe FPs are cool for you, but not everyone enjoys all content. It's not about hardship, but about enjoyment. This is a game! Daily pve quests are also easy, but that doesn't mean everyone enjoys them.

If I buy into your logic, then you hate pve, but love pvp right? That's the game mode you prefer, by your own words.

We've known for a long time now, the UC costs for the new gear. Months.

If you love pvp so much, why didn't you save/earn any UC? Why are you starting from zero? And even if you started from zero...

A single character, doing the bare min pvp daily/weekly is going to average at least 550-600 UC per week, after adding in disintigratioins from crates. That's enough to buy the cheap crystal for that character. The 500 UC for the cheap crystal is not random. It matches up very well with the bare minimum effort of playing the game casually.

The only argument you have left is that you don't like pve, and you don't pvp enough, but you still want gear. If you make that argument, I would simply state you don't deserve the gear.

If you combined a team of the best scientists in the world and asked them to design the worst gearing system in history I doubt it would be as bad as this one.

Snave, you just fail to appreciate the pure genius of the gearing system.

On a more serious note, this new gearing system is like drizzling diarrhea on a turd.

Sure.

I got 1 main and 7 alts I pvp with. All 70.

All of my alts currently have 2 crystals. So they can all buy my main one piece of gear. All I had to do was do the pvp weekly, and buy the first crystal off the smuggler. I could buy the second tier crystal, and get all my alts to 3 crystals, but I probably won't.

Since relics/implants/earpiece can't be legacy, it's up to my main to buy them. My main currenly has 5 crystals, and will probably have 6 before the week has ended.

I also got 2 pieces of 252 from t4 crates. For the sake of the complainers, we can remove those cause RNG.

Adding up all the low effort crystal gains on my alts, and adding my main, that's enough crystals for 10 pieces of 252.

The only reason I don't have them yet is the rep system.

All of this is done by just doing the story on my main. My alts didn't even do the story, just traveled to Ossus, picked up the pvp weekly and the cheaper crystal.

This is super easy.

Ok, thats something, but some more detail on how you got the five crystals and the “probable” sixth crystal would be helpful.

I think we all knew about the first 2 you can get using the unassembled components and we now know there is a rotating weekly mission you can get 1 from (just coincidence it’s pvp this week).

I’ve peronally opened 52 t4 crates and not got anything. So you are extremely lucky and right that you shouldn’t use that as an example because other people have posted in other threads where they opened 1000 crates and only got two 252 pieces.

Question : have you already tried to swap the Armor pieces into legacy items and equip on another Alt? No, because you need to get your rep up first before you can buy Armor to test.

(This didn’t work on the PTS)

Most of your assumptions of it being easy or low effort relies on being able to play 20+ hours a week to do pvp weeklies on 8 Alts and having a stock pile of Unassembled Components.

Basically it’s like someone with a Billion credits saying gearing is easy after they buy all the stuff directly from the GTN.

But ok, I can concede that it’s low effort under those circumstances. But still extremely time consuming if you don’t have the alts at 70. Remember this current meta hasn’t encouraged many people to play Alts because it’s been Alt unfriendly. I think you and I would be in the minority of having that many Alts at lvl 70. The majority will have less than 8 and some will only have 1.

What this means is a long and tedious grind for a big part of the pvp and game population to gear up. Even if they grind out some Alts to lvl 70, that’s tedious and boring if your only goal is to gear up a main to pvp with. You can’t even enjoy pvp to lvl up to lvl 70 like you could before 5.0 because it hardly pops in lowbies and Mids.

There is a small window of help for Imp players when double XP is on next week, they can go do bug hunt to lvl up with no effort. But that won’t work as easily for rep players because there is never an organised group (with a brain) to do something similar for them. Even when groups are put together, it’s more tedious and time consuming on the rep side.

It also won’t work for people who miss double XP.

I can understand that for some people this gearing seems fine, but not everyone is in your position to make it so easy.

Bioware have designed the system around people who aren’t in your position and that is why it’s easy for you and hard for Bios intended target audience.

There will always be some way to circumvent a system for a minority of players when its designed for the majority. That doesn’t make this a good system for everyone, it makes it a bad system for the majority and an “exploitable” (for a better word) system for the minority. I think this is something we all need to recognise when discussing the gearing system.

One last thing. Until you can confirm in a few weeks that it’s actually possible to swap Armor in legacy gear, the theory of having “more Alts will let you gear a main faster” is pure speculation and may come back to bite people in the butt if it’s wrong. You will then need to grind out all those UCs again that you used on your Alts because crystals aren’t legacy bound.

Personally I’m going to wait to do that until someone has tested and can confirm. So please let us know in two weeks ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss