New Merc Jetpack Ability!

Warlord_Maliken

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this. having the ability do damage is silly and a bit OP unless you were to hide the damage portion of the ability deep in one of the trees like with snipers roll skill.

A disengage skill that would allow merc's to get some distance on melee is much needed. It's either that or make Electronet spammable so we can slow down melee enough to get away with our overrides.

Making Electronet spammable is a laughable idea. Fastest way to get this class nerf to the ground. Look Arsenal could use another escape ability but they are fine the way they are. If you compare it to Sorcerers, they don't have as much options as us. How do they do damage? They have to cast just like us. They have 2 bubbles, slow and a sprint. While we have cure, RP root, electronet, JB and HO.

My suggestion is to make RP root last 5 secs so we can get to a decent range and deal damage. Pyro is a good kiting spec but lacks burst. Its a fine trade-off.

• 2 weeks later...
If you compare it to Sorcerers, they don't have as much options as us. How do they do damage? They have to cast just like us. They have 2 bubbles, slow and a sprint. While we have cure, RP root, electronet, JB and HO.

My suggestion is to make RP root last 5 secs so we can get to a decent range and deal damage. Pyro is a good kiting spec but lacks burst. Its a fine trade-off.

Hi, I am the original post and just returned to the game after being away for 8 months. I am glad that this post is still going, yet disappointed because the class still lacks a mobility-ability. Anyway:

Sorcerers can pull allies to them can they not? Sure its not reaaallly an 'escape' ability, but it changes the playing field in PvP for sure. That being said I think we should ignore comparing 'apples to oranges' because there are a lot of variables in PvP. My post was initially made because of 2 blunt facts: (1) The Mercenary class is modeled after Jango Fett the bounty hunter. (2) Mercenaries in SWTOR have NO MOBILITY whatsoever WITH the JETPACK, which in my opinion shames its very representation. Jango AND Bobba Fett's most iconic features were (1) Righteous looking armor (2) Jetpack Mobility!

Obi-Won couldn't even catch Jango in the Episode 2 duel! But then again lightsabers one shot people in the movies lol! Nevertheless. The fact that a jetpack disengage ability would be A LOT OF FUN is a very important notion! The developers stated they want to make the classes fun, focusing on gameplay entertainment first, and then balance afterwards. I think #1 or #2 would be so much FUN for Commandos and Mercenaries.

Increasing CC DURATIONS, like your suggestion, hinders the gameplay experience for the victim of that CC.. NO ONE likes to get cc'ed. I consider that approach lazy. If the bounty hunter jetpacks away from me, that's ok because I can still move my character and make an adjustment. If I'm rooted for FIVE SECONDS, or something of that nature, I'm typically going to beat my head on the keyboard. But that is just me I guess. Anyway, I think the company should be careful in that regard to balance. Lastly, I noticed people were talking about the Jet Boost ability that knocks all nearby enemies away from the Mercenary.. One of the post above stated that it is an odd ability in the first place and I agree. You could remove this ability and replace it with the Jetpack Disengage. Seriously, again, people don't like being knocked back all the time in PvP, its a huge buzzkill (and its not even fun for the Mercenary..).

Edited by Warlord_Maliken

I love this idea. As a Merc arsenal since beta, our biggest problem is we are unable to effectively kite. Sure we have electro net now but that is on a 1 minute and 30 second cool down... this is really a one time use deal in most 1 v 1 fights. Overrides I do not count really because arsenals are totally hampered by channels for the most part, it's only good for running away not actually kiting a opponent in a fight.

Compared to most classes, merc ( i actually consider PT in this too) suffers from the longest utility cooldowns compared to any other class. So the suggested skill would definitely be most welcome to our many short comings.

/support(even if it does not matter considering BW hates bounty hunter)

• 1 year later...

To the original post:

This needs to happen. I agree.

ADD JETPACK MOBILITY to make the mercenary fun!!!

Ive been playing a juggernaut since 2011, only because i was appalled at the mercenary gameplay since launch... I've secretly always wanted to be a mercenary. But when the game launched i got a ridiculous experience that has barely improved over the last 4 years.

/flashback

give us jetpacks.... george lucas promised me a pony when he made that jango vs obi won scene. i knew a star wars game was going to be made where i could be the vicarious manifestation of a manbearpig bounty hunter. SWtoR came along and stole my pony. This is unacceptable bioware, we are not happy about this.

Edited by Warlord_Maliken