How can you possible stand playing pug regs?

Lundorff

I very seldom venture in to 75 regs these days, because frankly it is a horror show. The matches I get are:

• Huttball. So many huttballs that I never, ever play.
  • OPG. It can be okay now and then, but mostly not.
  • Unbalanced teams. Either through shear random or by premades.
  • Clueless people. People can not do even the simplest things now. I can end up guarding a node as a healer.

There is basically no difference in quality of play between lowbies and 75, and with lowbies I get arena pops which never happens at 75. I would queue arena regs only if it existed.

I have no idea how any of you can find enjoyment in this.

/end rant

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very seldom venture in to 75 regs these days, because frankly it is a horror show. The matches I get are:

• Clueless people. People can not do even the simplest things now. I can end up guarding a node as a healer.

There is basically no difference in quality of play between lowbies and 75, and with lowbies I get arena pops which never happens at 75. I would queue arena regs only if it existed.

/end rant

I have the same experience as you and it's very likely we meet in WZ on regular basis since we play on the same server.

I have managed to overcome these " issues" by simply leaving very hutball game I get into because I don't want to waste time on that laggy garbage anymore. There are exceptions like for example if I want to get CQ points out of it.

For the other maps I try to win them.. but if it's pointless and team is mostly clueless people, I try to make my own game within games by seeking out duels and challenging myself to survive in difficult situations vs 3 people hammering my face .

And yes, I am a solo quer and as you already know the experience sometimes is pure torture .

na the ranked people told us not to queue unless we are fully maxed out and with 3-month experience in ranked but if i cannot queue i cannot get experience so we are just not allowed to queue.

One of the biggest problems with ranked is that new players have no place to practice arenas except for lowbies where it pops the most.

Arenas are totally different in almost every aspect and it would be great to be able to que only unranked arenas at 75 . I am certain there would be people playing them as many would like to warm up a bit for arenas and get used to them. If this was a possibility, I would never touch 8 man maps again.

Every mode has its horror stories.

You could make a similar list for ranked, perhaps even longer, lol

Nothing is immune, raiding and flashpoints can all be equally irritating at times.

I personally hate group finder PvE, its far more of a crapshoot than anything else in my view. But i need to get over that i guess.

. If this was a possibility, I would never touch 8 man maps again.

I like both I like pvp in general but I read some people hate Arenas as much as you hate 8-man map so if we split pvp population it may not be the greatest idea

BUT maybe should have like a favorite button 8-man favorite or 4-man favorite type of option

it would help you to get into 4-man if there is a lot of match at the same time and people that like 8-man and hate arena to get into the arena would make everybody happy

I don't know how hard it would be to code but I suspect it would end up bugging everything else

Short answer, I don't find enjoyment in solo que'ing for regs.

Since I prefer the 8v8 format over 4v4 that means I don't do ranked either.

So no pvp at all.

By insisting on mixing up the 8v8 and 4v4 que's to 'speed up pops'. I suspect it's actually had the opposite effect by lowering the pool of pvp players doing unranked. Since it keeps players who dont like 4v4 out of pvp altogether.

You can't do 8v8 properly when more than half of the team is 'practicing for ranked 4v4s'.

/end rant

First, subjective. We are yet to see proof that huttball maps pop more than other warzone maps.

But yes, premades are ruining warzones. I dunno what happened with Onslaught but it's rampant with premades. People are not bothering to queue anymore.

I can understand clueless people, everyone has to learn. But, to be queued with random people and then pitched against organised groups is just not acceptable. It isn't fun for anyone.

It cannot stay like this. Either this is a solo queue or this is a premade team queue. Can't have both with satisfactory results and it just ends up ruining it for everyone.

Actually, i can update that from my on-going test, wich is above 200 warzones now, Huttball is still around the 33% pop rate. So, i very much doubt it pops more. Again, i believe that people leaving it just makes more people see it more.

But you never know. It's been poping more the last few days. We'll see where it lands.

Edited by Nemmar

My answer is I no longer run pug regs alone. Either my crew is on and i can stack the game in my favor with a competent team, or I have something better to do.

This for me almost makes it worse, unbalanced matches on either side are worse than nearly anything else.

Its part of the reason ive been running guildless for a long time now, roflstomp matches are just no fun win or lose.

Id rather be the one solo guy up against that most of the time, at least its a challenge.

This for me almost makes it worse, unbalanced matches on either side are worse than nearly anything else.

Its part of the reason ive been running guildless for a long time now, roflstomp matches are just no fun win or lose.

Id rather be the one solo guy up against that most of the time, at least its a challenge.

The thing is, even this doesn't make it a roflstomp match because of the sheer number of idiots I seem to constantly get paired with. I want to win, so screw it. If everyones going to choose to focus me anyway, I'm doing it as a tank with my healer, and with two dps that know which end of the lightsaber to use.

/end rant

there are 2 option to enjoy

1. if winning point and farm people --- continue

2.if losing and get farm --- rage quit --- do like this guy

Edited by KumbayaGOD

/end rant

While I don't disagree with most of that (OPG aside, I don't mind that one) I still find Regs enjoyable most of the time. Sure, you get ugly matches where your teammates can't answer calls or leave a healer to guard a node or clueless teammates that can't even do basic things like fight in range of Voidstar doors or focus enemy Huttball runners...*but* (and its a big but, lol) all those "problems" affect opposing teams in equal measure.

The Voidstar match where your team races to the datacore was probably enabled by clueless gameplay on the other team (as someone who has been playing Op frequently for the last year or so...most of my door caps are literally right behind opposing players who are in range to stop me but are too locked into tunnel vision on another player to notice that I've come out of stealth at the door), the times when you solo kill a guard at the opposing team's off node and cap on him were also probably enabled by unanswered calls for help in his Ops chat, and Huttball matches where you score 4 times and carry your team were probably helped by opposing team players ignoring you or whitebarring you at a bad time. Ect, ect. It all balances out in the end, but no one notices or complains about it when it affects the other team.

As for premades, they're not as big of a deal as they once were. Sure, you occasionally still get some groups that cause team balance mismatches or groups with strong objective play, but you're just as likely to get groups who aren't answering calls from their teammate at the offnode, who are ignoring the Huttball, who are fighting at the enemy's spawn on the defense round of Voidstar, or tunneling mid in an Ancient Hypergate round where you need to delay an enemy's cap to win. Honestly premades these days are as likely to be a liability for whatever team they're on as they are to be an asset. That balances out in the end too, with enough matches played.

Got to take the good with the bad.

The Huttball pop rate is a bigger problem because that one can't be avoided at all short of leaving a match, and you're just as likely to get another Huttball match with your next pop. I'd say on average at least half or more pops are into Huttball matches. Bioware should adjust how match type is determined by lumping all three Huttball matches into a single option with that initial dice roll, and then having a second roll to determine which map if Huttball wins. That would lower the rate at which Huttball pops to a reasonable amount and maybe result in better gameplay. Huttball maps are the worst offender for teams playing cluelessly and a good deal of that is down to players just being tired of Huttball.

Its a shame really, because Classic Huttball is a lot of fun when both teams are playing the match well. Quesh and Vandin as well to a certain extent, though those two maps are marred by too many bugs that spoil the experience, even when both teams are trying.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

• Accept that 75 Regs is a total crapshoot
  • Turn off brain
  • Do the best you can
  • Do as much as you can to aid your team

Remember that if you win it's because your contribution swung it. :cool:

If you lose it's the other 7 players being idiots. :mad:

Personally It's no longer much about the win or lose for me. It's about having fun. If the fun stops I stop - At least for the day. Also I usually play until I run out of time or at least get a win. And If I'm honest I quite like Huttball, but don't like arenas.

At least if you're losing and left to guard a node, you can make snarky comments in chat. - Not toxic, but hopefully barbed enough for people to at least stop and think about their poor tactics.

But the best advice is to approach good players and invite them to team up. - At least that way it reduces the likelihood of too many clueless idiots on your own team. People are generally flattered to be asked in my experience.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Personally It's no longer much about the win or lose for me. It's about having fun. If the fun stops I stop - At least for the day. Also I usually play until I run out of time or at least get a win. And If I'm honest I quite like Huttball, but don't like arenas.

Reg arenas are mostly terrible and unless you're in a premade, I'm not sure why anyone would like them. My experience is that if I'm not grouped an arena pop will mostly likely feature unbalanced teams, with myself on the weaker one because I have high valor or whatever. 3 DPS for example versus a team of four that also has trinity, and one of those three DPS from my team won't even know what a DCD is. lol

Even when the teams are even you're likely to get teammates who are each focusing a target other than the one that was marked (and not even the same target at that), and most wins are due to being able to carry two or three players on your team or the other team just being very bad rather than good gameplay all around.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

The thing is, even this doesn't make it a roflstomp match because of the sheer number of idiots I seem to constantly get paired with. I want to win, so screw it. If everyones going to choose to focus me anyway, I'm doing it as a tank with my healer, and with two dps that know which end of the lightsaber to use.

I get it, and youre not wrong, but i seem to be the guy always on the wrong end of that facing the premades, and i can assure you thats not fun either :) I try to fight the good fight but lets be real, good players in a premade, not much is going to get done against that and after a while it leads to frustration and moving to other activities to avoid popping off, which ive failed at more than once, lol

I enjoy the randomness of regs that a larger population brings. I could absolutely care less if I win or lose, I feel sorry for people who can't get past this. If my team seems competent and able I'll play objectives, if not I'll death match, either way I enjoy myself. Doing the most DPS in a match when the odds are in favor of the other team brings me more pride than winning a turkey shoot.

Regs also allow me to successfully play specs and AC's that are simply not viable in Ranked no matter the player skill.

I get it, and youre not wrong, but i seem to be the guy always on the wrong end of that facing the premades, and i can assure you thats not fun either :) I try to fight the good fight but lets be real, good players in a premade, not much is going to get done against that and after a while it leads to frustration and moving to other activities to avoid popping off, which ive failed at more than once, lol

Well the complete garbage I was getting paired with solo and the incessant need to focus me over anyone else meant I was moving on to other activities and other games. One of my crew came back, so right now its 3 of us, maybe 3 nights a week. Other than that I won't be PvPing. The crowd finally chased me off.

Probably big part of why I just stopped playing. Being a PVPer and enjoying 8v8s I just lost my passion for the game tbh. The matches no longer are dynamic, no longer fun, so as someone mentioned I don't play anymore.

Big thanks to BW and SWTOR for once again pushing me forcefully off the game I loved for years with awful uninspiring game changes over the last 5+ years. BW has inadvertently helped me get other facets on track where my gaming was interrupting me before.

So, thanks I guess? Thanks for making the game progressively worse over the years and helping me beat my MMO addiction down.

Probably big part of why I just stopped playing. Being a PVPer and enjoying 8v8s I just lost my passion for the game tbh. The matches no longer are dynamic, no longer fun, so as someone mentioned I don't play anymore.

Big thanks to BW and SWTOR for once again pushing me forcefully off the game I loved for years with awful uninspiring game changes over the last 5+ years. BW has inadvertently helped me get other facets on track where my gaming was interrupting me before.

So, thanks I guess? Thanks for making the game progressively worse over the years and helping me beat my MMO addiction down.

I think it is alot of different reasons and this one can't be ignored. Me and my friends are all pretty solid pvpers but we have moved on from tor's pvp. And seeing some of the comments here of people i know i am on the same server on, two things seem to come up. 1. We stopped playing and play different games to get our pvp fix or wait till friends are on reducing how long we stay in que and 2. The people left playing the game are frustrated with lack of good players/ game modes. But this is not simply put a bioware issue as they are a big part of it. It is a two prong issue so lets start with the easiest person to point fingers at and that is bioware.

How bioware has let pvp become the way it is:

1. Lack of meta changes/ balance. This is helps in enjoy ability and keeping the game fresh. You can't go 2+ years without touching the meta in a meaningful way.

2. Removed any form of meaningful progression. As someone who grew up and climbed in the halo era and eventually into mmo's there was always something to gain. Bioware took that away, but trying to get gold or silver for the 3rd to 4th season in a row is just not enough motivation for me and my friends. We can't gear threw pvp and it has been 5 years since they have added any meaningful stuff to add to regs. It would be neat to see a seasonal system where you can earn rewards for playing (not always winning in regs) but like battlepass like systems. It could be something that comes with a sub. But basically progression has gotten stale. So alot of us aren't going to que.

3. Dumbing down classes further and further. The utilities you take are obvious, the amps are obvious, very little meaningful theory crafting unless you just feel like going against the wind. Removal of skill trees, etc. There are alot of useless set bonus's now (more is not better bioware i would rather have 4 meaningful choices to make then 10 meaningless ones for gear). But this is not theory crafting like you see in eso, archeage, or hell if we want to go back all the way to swg to take a look. As there are always going to be meta items to take there are options that are viable based on playstyle in alot of mmo's. And this i believe adds to the lack of dynamic, i don't sit there and think about my attributes in tor the way i do in other mmo's that have build making. This adds alot to mmo's and makes them fun to play and be engaged in after hitting max gear.

4. Gearing, yeah there are plenty of threads on this that they don't listen to but I am going to put this here as you all pretty much know this one on this thread.

Now the community: It is not all bioware's fault if we have to be honest and the community in this mmo does not help its case in terms of pvp engagment.

1. Those who just don't care to learn or play their class. Now these guys exist in all mmo's but it is something i have noticed is much more rampant here. I think personally that its due to the game being so dummy easy that you can be messing up alot and still feel a bit of contribution to your team so you think you are doing okay. But go into other pvp scenarios in mmo's and you will see players like that go so utterly stomped in less then a few cooldowns. But here, you hit a few buttons and you are still getting stomped but it won't feel as impactful as lets say a stamden in eso jumping on you and ending you because you did get a proc up fast enough. I am sure we all have our own opinions on this but I feel tor does not push players very hard to get even a little bit better because it lets them get away with so much. So it feels more rampant here,

2. Alot of i don't care symptom. These are the people who been playing for years, we seen them in the que for years. But many they just never get better, they are still spamming missile blast on the merc, they are the ones firing energy burst at 2 stacks, the ones who pop sorc bubble at 85% health every time, for years. Never learning even a little bit. And they hurt ques everywhere they go in every game they play. It sucks, for the rest of us who are trying to win and giving it our best but I have noticed this in tor more then other places.

3. Now on the ranked side, toxicity. Look I been in the ranked stuff for quite a few seasons but we do get pretty toxic at new comers. I have been guilty of it myself (1 game away from sliver 2 seasons ago and guy on my team tried to stealth rez after we got first kill like *** in round 3). So trust me i get it, we are competitive want to win etc. But we do drive alot of people away, i gritted to through the grind with friends learning in the first few seasons i played, it made me a better players a merc main all those years ago. But not everyone is going to want to get through us telling them they are bad. For everyone of us who stops to try to teach someone there are 4 who scream get out of que. And since the ranked community on this game is fairly small it can feel like all of us are hounding them when out of the 15 people in que at given time (pretty generous) 5-6 of them are talking trash to the new guy.

But in conclusion sorry for the long post, alot of us don't play pugs, we don't play until friends or on or solo ranked ques are up. Hell this season I have even chilled on on the grind and just sort of stopped playing because my friends aren't into it anymore. But i feel like the regs have deteriorated with a mixture of good players leaving, current pop very very very casual, and ranked struggling to grow due to toxicity, but also with combination of bioware not addressing pvp changes quickly or frequently enough, removing all progression from the game in pvp, not adding any incentives for people to keep playing regs (i would solo que if i could progress through a battlepass in regs every season). Sorry for the long post.

Edited by steveerkcanjerk

1. Lack of meta changes/ balance. This is helps in enjoy ability and keeping the game fresh. You can't go 2+ years without touching the meta in a meaningful way.

Right. I don't need to elaborate here. When the meta stayed the same for 2-3 years it got stale. Sometimes change just for the sake of change is good. When things stay stagnant, things die. Game no different.

2. Removed any form of meaningful progression. We can't gear threw pvp and it has been 5 years since they have added any meaningful stuff to add to regs.

Not only this, you can't level via PVP either... Lowbies might pop, but pops become extinct once you hit mids because no one queues for PVP in any tiers but lowbies and cap level. When they removed the WZ Comms that we accrued via PVP back in the day, you could accrue these Legacy bound WZ tokens on all toons even lowbies! So, we had incentive to play all tiers of PVP.

Then the geniuses they are, they soon added instant-cap-level-tokens. Why? I know for money, money of course. But! These tokens make it even less likely a player is going to level via PVP or any other game mode if they can afford an instant boost to cap level. Removing useful rewards from lower tier PVP also added another nail to the coffin so to speak.

3. Dumbing down classes further and further. The utilities you take are obvious, the amps are obvious, very little meaningful theory crafting unless you just feel like going against the wind.

I think the classes are often times clunky now meaning the ability rotation isn't very fluid or fun.. Add in the tech issues this game has with d-sync and the awful performance of their game engine it's just bad. I also hate the bloat of abilities. I personally do not find more button mashing = more complex.

They have so many DCDs now. So many downright useless attacks and heals you can remove some of them from your bars and actually get better performance by not having more clutter and/or inferior abilities wasting space on the bars. They should really ought to do an overhaul on the classes and their abilities but that's never happening at this point. What you see is what you get here, now and till game dies.

4. Gearing, yeah there are plenty of threads on this that they don't listen to but I am going to put this here as you all pretty much know this one on this thread.

Can't think of a game that regressed continuously over years in design changes on it's own gearing system except this one. Usually if a game makes a bad design change, it gets rectified. Not here. Instead, they buckle down and force the bad game design change down the player's throats even adding more newfangled game design changes on top of that.

1. Those who just don't care to learn or play their class. Now these guys exist in all mmo's but it is something i have noticed is much more rampant here. I think personally that its due to the game being so dummy easy that you can be messing up alot and still feel a bit of contribution to your team so you think you are doing okay. But go into other pvp scenarios in mmo's and you will see players like that go so utterly stomped in less then a few cooldowns. But here, you hit a few buttons and you are still getting stomped but it won't feel as impactful as lets say a stamden in eso jumping on you and ending you because you did get a proc up fast enough. I am sure we all have our own opinions on this but I feel tor does not push players very hard to get even a little bit better because it lets them get away with so much. So it feels more rampant here,

I am curious if you notice this attitude on other games too, or just mostly in SWTOR PVP?

2. Alot of i don't care symptom. These are the people who been playing for years, we seen them in the que for years. But many they just never get better, they are still spamming missile blast on the merc, they are the ones firing energy burst at 2 stacks, the ones who pop sorc bubble at 85% health every time, for years. Never learning even a little bit. And they hurt ques everywhere they go in every game they play. It sucks, for the rest of us who are trying to win and giving it our best but I have noticed this in tor more then other places.

I think this here might prove we as human beings are literally regressing in cognitive ability. I have in my mind right now, the chart we all seen as kids showing a small ape creature that then evolves into a larger ape creature, that then progressively turns into a sort of human ape like creature, etc. etc. over time until we reach the human at the end... Only reverse it. That's what is happening. Humans are devolving into troglodytes. I imagine us evolving into blobs of obesity with well-developed hands swimming in a large mass of blob. The well-developed hands will have come from our incessant use of smart phones and other devices that we will be completely dependent on by that point in the future. Hmm. I think we are going to evolve into Hutts, pretty much.

3. Now on the ranked side, toxicity. Look I been in the ranked stuff for quite a few seasons but we do get pretty toxic at new comers. I have been guilty of it myself (1 game away from sliver 2 seasons ago and guy on my team tried to stealth rez after we got first kill like *** in round 3). So trust me i get it, we are competitive want to win etc. But we do drive alot of people away, i gritted to through the grind with friends learning in the first few seasons i played, it made me a better players a merc main all those years ago. But not everyone is going to want to get through us telling them they are bad. For everyone of us who stops to try to teach someone there are 4 who scream get out of que. And since the ranked community on this game is fairly small it can feel like all of us are hounding them when out of the 15 people in que at given time (pretty generous) 5-6 of them are talking trash to the new guy.

Good point here. People really ought to try to be more aware of how their behavior impacts other people and indirectly the game... If people find certain modes of the game not fun, or even abusive/traumatic they will leave the game and take their friends with them, too. It's a ripple effect. With a dying game, it isn't smart to further alienate an already paltry population.

Sorry for the long post.

I enjoyed the post thanks for the insight and opinion!