Is this being a carebear?

LadyDarkkitten

I was in a hutball on my sin happily picking off stragglers and healers. You know just the standard lone wolf being annoying stuff. One of the folks I was killing was a low geared gunslinger with 28k health, who didnt seem to know what to do when a Sin starts on top of him. After I had killed him twice, I noticed him sat in cover next to the hutball spawn, presumably hoping to pick it up on the respawn, so I went over and opened up.

This time he didnt even fight back. Just kinda watched me hit him. Then he did the "give up" emote and stood there looking silly with his arms in the air. Well I kinda stoped hitting him and just looked at him for a sec, sat at 20% health or so. and we gazed at each other for 4-5 secs, then he took off in the direction of the medpack. I was watching him roll off then I saw a mara attacking a guardian and it seemed like my team mate was losing so I went and helped him not die.

After that the gunslinger avoided me the rest of the match and I left him alone. Why stop him enjoying the game? Anyway I was telling this to some friends and they said it was carebeary. What do you think? was I right or wrong to let him live/leave him alone for the rest of the wz?

I was in a hutball on my sin happily picking off stragglers and healers. You know just the standard lone wolf being annoying stuff. One of the folks I was killing was a low geared gunslinger with 28k health, who didnt seem to know what to do when a Sin starts on top of him. After I had killed him twice, I noticed him sat in cover next to the hutball spawn, presumably hoping to pick it up on the respawn, so I went over and opened up.

This time he didnt even fight back. Just kinda watched me hit him. Then he did the "give up" emote and stood there looking silly with his arms in the air. Well I kinda stoped hitting him and just looked at him for a sec, sat at 20% health or so. and we gazed at each other for 4-5 secs, then he took off in the direction of the medpack. I was watching him roll off then I saw a mara attacking a guardian and it seemed like my team mate was losing so I went and helped him not die.

After that the gunslinger avoided me the rest of the match and I left him alone. Why stop him enjoying the game? Anyway I was telling this to some friends and they said it was carebeary. What do you think? was I right or wrong to let him live/leave him alone for the rest of the wz?

Personally, I think this was a very decent, kind, and conscientious thing to do. I likely wouldn't have done it because the aggressive side of me tends to be faster than the thoughtful and considerate side, but I would have felt bad about it afterward. (Well, that and the fact that I'm usually on the butt-supplying side of the butt kicking contests, since I suck at PvP). I applaud you for showing some decency in an otherwise very mercenary environment. I'd also say you should never apologize for doing something nice.

Of course, having said that, I'm visualizing the fight scene from The Simpsons episode "Brother from the same planet," where Bart's big brother saves the starfish that Homer throws at him, drops them into the fish tank, and then turns away and fails to see them all eaten half a second later by a shark.

In other words, a nice gesture, but probably futile in the long run.

Edited by georgemattson

It was a cool thing to do. Remember the guy on the other side is just a player trying to have fun. Once you've established he's no match for you, there's no point in rubbing it in over and over just to frustrate him.

That being said, i'm not sure i would have left him alive next to the huttball spawn...:)

crush him, crush his morale, break his team, make him unsub

+1

he obviously gave up because he thought assassins are op and there is no way to win, he was incredibly weak and pathetic to give up so easily.

If i lose to someone i will always try to hunt them down and get revenge

If you were targeting randomly and this happened, I would have said that you were being carebear, but if that guy was actually standing next to an objective. Killing him is the right thing to do.

PS: I don't like people who target randomly in huttball, it barely contributes to the team.

Do you love to play OP FotM class, huh? :o

Been playing a sin since 1.3 as an alt. As a main since 2.1 when I binned my immortal jug (now thats just painful to solo queue with). I enjoy playing it, usually as a tank hybrid (sometimes full darkness with dps gear) and while alot of people complain its going to be even MORE OP (its not. its just one of the few classes that isnt underperforming compared to maras) in patch 2.5 I plan to drop it. Already leveling my agent Bro.

So you won't have any opponent next time anymore ?

Thank you for proving me that most PvP players prefer easy wins over everything else ...

no so he'll be replaced with someone who isnt a waste of space and the match will be a good one

Once I've established I'm the better player once or twice, I'll leave em be. But if they keep coming back for revenge I'll keep wasting em. I show respect to my opposition. That guy may have started rolling a sin and once he's at 55 he may ask if you would like to team up, knowing how good you are.

This seems like he was "Interested" in you. I have to say that this is still a better love story than twilight.

As for the "carebear" question, no... you weren't being a carebear here.

This seems like he was "Interested" in you. I have to say that this is still a better love story than twilight.

As for the "carebear" question, no... you weren't being a carebear here.

Despite the corniness and at times creepiness of SWTOR romances (Nadia Grell is a creepy student with issues, Mako's a clone and Kaliyo is a sociopath), ANYTHING is still better than Twilight. ANY. THING.

Twilight is not a 1 on a scale of 1-10, it's a -10. It breaks the scale in terms of how bad it is.

crush him, crush his morale, break his team, make him unsub

hahaha. That's the PvP spirit.

To OP - you were humane, which is fine, even admirable. The guy was obviously hopeless and possibly new, maybe this way he'll not be convinced PvP is simply full of psychopaths out to torture him, persevere and so improve.

All of which is an admirably cunning tactic on your part, to keep your opponents' ranks full of incompetents, and teach them that stopping trying and giving up brings rewards. When really they'd be better off putting their shoulder to the wheel and trying to improve. I compliment you on your subtle undermining of the enemy.

Despite the corniness and at times creepiness of SWTOR romances (Nadia Grell is a creepy student with issues, Mako's a clone and Kaliyo is a sociopath),

You missed out Agent Temple's transparent attempts to sleep her way to a promotion.

I quite liked Kaliyo, but that may say more about my track record in girlfriends than anything about Bioware's romances.

Edited by Wainamoinen