Do you think light side sith are still sith?(spoiler warning)

lokdron

Ok this has been talked about for awhile and In my opinion LS sith are not sith anymore as they get further into there story/higher LS rank after playing an LS sith warrior to see what it is like I don't see how you can consider them sith. I try and state sources from books and lore to support why they aren't and I do agree they are interesting to play even if I prefer being dark side. I mean In my opinion if you reach about light 4 or 5 you should not be able to use majority of your dark side abilities but for gameplay reasons bioware did not do this. I mean if you walked into baras office or the academy of korriban and told them all that you are light side what do you think they would do? They would kill you.

I want to hear what other people think because in my opinion after playing kotor 2 and reading various empire and sith novels out there light side sith are not sith IMO. I am not opposing people playing LS sith but it annoys me when people say they still are and I ask why and they say i use my emotions! so it makes me sith! I hold the same opinion with dark jedi as well. So I am asking people who have better star wars knowledge than me what is your opinion on this?

edit:I put spoilers because people may use sources from this game or any source in star wars.

Edited by lokdron

Well the light side sith in this game aren't really "nice", they just aren't total ***** like the dark side are.

Theoretically, I'm sure if Darth Sidious or Darth Bane played this game, they'd choose some of the light side choices as well.

Bioware seems to think that if you want to be dark side you need to murder everyone. That's really not the dark side, that's just being a homicidal maniac. Killing without reason is dumb.

Edited by bfishback

Jedi = suppressing emotion in order to gain strength

Sith= Use emotion to gains strength

But who says it must be hate and rage and fury? Why can't it be compassion and mercy that drives you? That's how I view Light Side Sith anyhow, not giving in to hate and rage, but instead letting the good emotions give them their strength.

Well the light side sith in this game aren't really "nice", they just aren't total ***** like the dark side are.

Theoretically, I'm sure if Darth Sidious or Darth Bane played this game, they'd choose some of the light side choices as well.

Bioware seems to think that if you want to be dark side you need to murder everyone. That's really not the dark side, that's just being a homicidal maniac. Killing without reason is dumb.

(excuse the grammer I pretty much suck at it)

I understand that there is a difference between picking a light option here and there and still remaining dark side hell my dark 5 SI has 500 light points but I am talking about sith that embrace the light all together like light 1,2 and 3 etc. Plus the sith don't teach to use positive emotions when you say to spindrall in the SI story "I understand I use my emotions to become stronger!(while smiling)" Spindrall pretty much says to you that you are doing it wrong and humility and compassion is the thing for slaves not sith. Plus bane got rid of all sense of morality he murdered a family a dad and two kids I think. Plus I don't remember darth vader sparing people for failure like we can do in the game.

I think the reason why sith shun positive emotions is because their religion is about the dark side and the dark side only becomes stronger through negative emotions while positive emotions strengthen the light. Plus showing compassion and mercy sets more chains on you like how malgus killed his wife because almost every character in book was exploiting his love for his wife. So his wife was a chain to keep him from doing what malgus needs to do.

I mean if lore had its way in this game the further we go up the light we start to lose dark side abilities because dark side abilities become weaker the further you go up the light and vice versa for dark. Plus in the jedi academy games karn and luke start getting REALLY worried when you invest in dark side powers saying they can sense a lot of anger within you and if you invest in light powers they say you are at peace or something like that.

I mean in the sith warrior story when I was playing LS i met the dark side version my self I also think its an incarnation of the dark side because I said to it that I followed sith way and the way of master to the letter. It said "stop lying to myself you are not sith". It then said if you embraced passion, rage and love you could be stronger and one dialouge option which seemed to be the light option because the other conversations have you agreeing with the dark side manifisation

The sith warrior says that all those things clouds your judgement. After that scene I personally think that the sith warrior starts to embrace concepts of the jedi and lets not forget the sith view the light side as heretical and tainted. I mean as a LS sith warrior you are pretty much hiding you true alignment as the dark self said baras and all the other sith can smell the "rot" of the light around me. If the sith accepted the light I don't think they would go to such lengths to seal away an LS sith tomb and destroy all that he was. I mean would you lot consider a dark jedi a jedi? I sure won't after playing a LS sith warrior i simply did not feel like a sith and in my opinion many of the LS options are dam right heretical by sith standards. I simply can't see how you can still be called a sith after you send nomen back to the jedi and pretty much help jaesa out and keep her on the path of the light when the sith consider the light as tainted and heretical. Hell in my opinion quuin disproved a lot when I was saying that I would fight the forces of the dark aka empire and sith and when I made jaesa light he disproved again. Yet when I was dark in these situations he approved and quuin is known to be an empire first man. I mean look at darth revan the sith destory anyone who choices to worship him and his deeds because revan went back to the jedi and rejoined the light. Yet the sith in swtor remeber malak and think he is darn right awesome and deserves to be rembered because malak pretty kept true to the sith way and the dark side.

I mean at the end of balmorra all the jedi that are captured darth lachris ships them off to darth marr to be converted to the dark side. Plus what do you lot think would happen if you walked into the sith academy or baras office and told em that you are light side? They would either a make sure you convert back to the dark side or b kill you.

I personally think the only reason why LS sith and DS jedi keep using their religion respective abilties is for gameplay reasons and balance because I remember bioware saying that your skills would change depending on your alignment. Lore wise a LS force user cannot use dark side powers well and the only jedi that use DS powers are either grey or thinning the line.

After going over sith lore and playing a LS sith I simply can't see LS sith being a sith anymore after what happens on tatooine and beyond(the whole thing at the end of chapter 1 sealed the deal for me that LS SW is not a sith) after playing the LS sith warrior. Yes they are interesting to play but I can't think of my character as a sith. Its the same with dark jedi I don't know how anyone can consider a dark jedi a jedi.

Edited by lokdron

After going over sith lore and playing a LS sith I simply can't see LS sith being a sith anymore after what happens on tatooine and beyond(the whole thing at the end of chapter 1 sealed the deal for me that LS SW is not a sith) after playing the LS sith warrior. Yes they are interesting to play but I can't think of my character as a sith. Its the same with dark jedi I don't know how anyone can consider a dark jedi a jedi.

Darth Jadus springs to mind for some reason. The Sith are supposed to be driven by passion, but whatever passion drives Jadus is buried deep.

The Sith do enjoy entrapping and tormenting Jedi until they have no choice to draw on the Dark Side or perish, though,

Darth Jadus springs to mind for some reason. The Sith are supposed to be driven by passion, but whatever passion drives Jadus is buried deep.

The Sith do enjoy entrapping and tormenting Jedi until they have no choice to draw on the Dark Side or perish, though,

I like darth jadus after playing IA storyline he keeps his secrets and motives close so no one can guess what he is doing. The thing he wants imo is to spread the sith teachings to everyone that is his passion he wants to make people embrace hate and fear like the sith. Now that I think about it darth jadus kinda seems like revan when he was a sith lord in some regards.

This is the reason why I really like kotor 2 if you have the restoration patch the game goes into what makes someone a sith? What makes someone a jedi? How can you truly be one the respective orders? What can we do to improve on these respective orders teachings? Plus the game looks at why both fail at times. How the dark side can be self destructive and how the light may blind you to everything thats happening around you. Plus the game also talks about how the force is abit of a douche for using the sith and jedi to balance itself out and stuff like that. Thats why my DS exile does not murder everyone she comes across.

Well kotor 2 it goes into the fact to truly defeat an enemy is to make them see your way of things to make them see things how you see it to make them as dark as you. Thats why I enjoyed making my companions fall to the dark side in kotor 2 and that is the reason why I love the end of DS SW chapter 1.

Edited by lokdron

You have to keep in mind that really, as a Sith Warrior, your Dark and Lightside choices are less "Good and Evil" and more "Law and Chaos".

Common choices:

-Darkside: Kill 'im where he stands

-Lightside: Imprison him, ultimately leading to their torture and exeuction at the hands of others.

I play my Sith Warrior as mostly lightsided but she is in no means nice, and she is not above taking the dark path for efficiency. In the case of traitors, she frequently kills them outright.

Lawful Evil is referred to as the "Dominator" or "Diabolic" alignment. Characters of this alignment see a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit, and show a combination of desirable and undesirable traits; while they usually obey their superiors and keep their word, they care nothing for the rights and freedoms of other individuals and are not averse to twisting the rules to work in their favor. Examples of this alignment include tyrants, devils, undiscriminating mercenary types who have a strict code of conduct, and loyal soldiers who enjoy the act of killing.

Like Lawful Good Paladins, Lawful Evil characters may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or evil when the two conflict. However, their issues with Law versus Evil are more concerned with "Will I get caught?" versus "How does this benefit me?"

Boba Fett of Star Wars, and X-Men's Magneto are cited examples of Lawful Evil characters.

Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people. They do not work well in groups, as they resent being given orders, and usually behave themselves only out of fear of punishment.

It is not compulsory for a Chaotic Evil character to be constantly performing sadistic acts just for the sake of being evil, or constantly disobeying orders just for the sake of causing chaos. They do however enjoy the suffering of others, and view honor and self-discipline as weaknesses. Serial killers and monsters of limited intelligence are typically Chaotic Evil.

According to the Complete Scoundrel sourcebook, Carl Denham from King Kong and Riddick from Pitch Black are Chaotic Evil

That said, you should not lose access to abilities simply because you swing one way or the other alignment wise. The force is the force, no ability is inherently evil. No ability is inherently good.

Example, Luke Skywalker uses Force Choke and a variation of Force Lightening.

You are also still a classically trained Sith, there's no reason to forget what you have learnt simply because you do not run around stuffing babies onto spikes.

I think in lower lvls they probably are still Sith, just as luke himself walked a dark path for a short time, which supports Dark Jedi, but at some point the powers shut off, or they r hunted down. I cannot see how u could have a light side sith, that defets the whole purpose of being sith employed by the empire and set loose to reign destruction and chaos, very hard to do when ur being morally righteous

alittle light/dark here and there i can understand but when ur actions are overwhelmingly good/bad you have lost the connection to where your power comes from.

Edited by SinisterHavok

I agree Viera thats how I saw the sith warrior LS decisions at the START of the story but as it went on I kinda felt like a jedi by the end of chapter 1 as a LS SW plus a lawful evil sith would not do what the LS SW does at the end of chapter 1. I mean as I said my SI reached dark 5 but she had i think 500-600 light side points during her road to 50 there is a difference between doing light decisions here and there and then there is embracing the light all together.

I mean while playing a LS sith warrior sparing a jedi that has no benefit towards you or information left a bad taste in my mouth plus helping a house that is allied with the republic is just wrong. Lets not forget sending nomen back to the jedi after he falls to the dark side that single act prevents me from calling a LS sith a sith. lets not forget trying to work with the jedi the sith most hated enemies and lets not forget you lie to baras afterwards that you killed nomen. Thats not really lawful evil imo hell quinn is FOR the empire and he is pretty lawful evil and he disproves of what you do at the end of chapter 1 as a LS sith. Quuin is a patriot of the empire. Plus meeting that dark incarnation also proves that LS sith are not sith because you did not take advantage of jaesa to add her power to your own as sith normally do so you could take down baras in the future. If you take the LS route with her you are working WITH her.

I decided to play a LS sith in the first place because people on this forum keep telling me they are sith. Stuff that happens in the game tell me otherwise plus after going over general sith lore. I mean look at darth vader thats lawful evil in star wars he obeys his master and empire laws kills people for failure for failing at the job the empire has given them.

edit:As sinister said at the start yeah I would still call em sith but as the story just went on I simply can't call LS sith a sith anymore. I simply don't see how after events in the game LS sith pretty much spit on the sith code and teachings.

Edited by lokdron

The whole light / dark side should not be taken so strictly. Already noticed that some "light" side choices result in people you captured instead of being killed they are being torturted for the rest of their remaining life.

Example of some quests I had

I find it more light to kill the poor sods (which requires a dark side choice) then to send them off to infinite long torture (which required a light side choice in this matter) by the empire. Here is me thinking killing them would be an act of mercy and a light side choice , just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kirameki

The whole light / dark side should not be taken so strictly. Already noticed that some "light" side choices result in people you captured instead of being killed they are being torturted for the rest of their remaining life.

Example of some quests I had

I find it more light to kill the poor sods (which requires a dark side choice) then to send them off to infinite long torture (which required a light side choice in this matter) by the empire. Here is me thinking killing them would be an act of mercy and a light side choice , just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

Well I more of see those decisions as you getting light side points for sparing him when you have the choice to kill them the people doing the torture are the ones getting the dark side points not you. Well thats how I see it.

Edited by lokdron

Light side Sith seem to be more prone to sitting and thinking and reflecting on their passion for the ones around them, where as dark side Sith seem to be more physical with attacking the ones they hate by striking out.

A man not killed in anger is a good thing, a man killed in hate is definitely a bad thing, the fact that the person is then transported to a torture chamber has nothing to do with you and he may one day escape, its like batman not killing the joker but sending him to jail.

But I think if you take a Side, certain other things should be available to you other than armour, maybe different ways of fighting, I can imagine a dark side sith being messy and hacking and stabbing where as a light side sith will flow and slice and would be alot less jerky.

you would also get certain powers which only the light/dark side can ascertain, such as if your light side you will have force mind control, where as a dark side sith would have torture.

but there should be more options on being a light side/ dark side sith definitely and there isn't much differentiation atm just dialogue in the story line and armour.

How many of you who are claiming "You're lawful evil" or your choices are "Bad but not as Bad" have actually played the Sith Warrior story ALL the way through as Light V? I can assure you that the Sith in the story ends up like a Jedi on the side of the Empire.

SPOILERS

You have the option multiple times to spread Jedi teachings. Your Sith even recites similar lines to the Jedi such as there is no emotion there is peace. The Sith Warrior is clearly Light Side hiding among the other Sith and you have the option to straight up tell Jaesa that the best method is to change the empire from within. You are not "More dark than a Jedi but Light for a Sith." you are extremely light by the end of chapter three. By the end of Act 1 when Jaessa uses her powers on you she see's you as a beacon of light.

You confront, when walking Jaessa's path a shadow version of yourself that is a reflection of your dark side. It insults you for being light and tells you that when the Sith find out you'll be destroyed. It tries to tempt you back to the dark side. There's no question about it. A Light Sith is Light and honestly I don't see a Light Sith as truly a Sith anymore. Just as a Dark Jedi is no longer truly a Jedi.

There do seem to be aspects of the whole 'Light Side Sith' situation that don't make a lot of sense to me... But only in the area of the Force itself, and what the Dark Side and the Light Side actually *are*.

The reasoning behind my Light Side Sith Sorcerer (!) is something like this:

The Jedi code tells you to discard all emotions in favour of 'tranquility', 'serenity' and so forth. That's all very well in the case of things like anger and hatred, but what about other emotions, such as love, compassion, or pity?

The Sith code tells you to draw strength from your passions, and that that strength will give you the power to do whatever you want, more or less. It doesn't at any point say that all your passions have to be destructive or negative, or that the things that you want to do in the end have to be self-serving or 'evil' things.

So, she goes around making generally morally upstanding decisions. Also mocking arrogant people and being as sarcastic as possible, but that's allowed. :) As someone says quite early on, a Sith with a conscience. Her heart rules her head - Her passions override pure reason - And so she does what feels right. And somehow, that generates Light Side points.

Certainly, if she did make it obvious to the wrong people that she was all Light aspected, they might try to kill her, so... Don't do that. Lies of omission are both moderately acceptable in a moral sense, and consistent with general Sith behaviour. And if people who don't pose that sort of a threat notice that she's behaving oddly and call her on it - Well, she's a Sith, she does what she wants, and it's not for them to object. 'Them', in this case, being people not powerful enough to stop her.

So, in general, I think there's a possible answer to the point that 'surely the other Sith would kill them', namely that all you really need in order to be a Light-Sided Sith is to be strong enough to get away with it - And that fits right into the Sith code. Nothing wrong there.

I can also see that there are ways in which someone of good principle might *intentionally* choose to follow the Sith code instead of the Jedi code: The Sith code encourages selfish and amoral behaviour, certainly, and their society even more so, but it doesn't *dictate* it, and some people might regard the enforced rejection of all emotion to be worse on an individual level. After all, in one of the Tython quests, whenever I hear that Jedi Master saying that 'there is no room for pity in the heart of a Jedi', I start to hear a Dalek voice shouting 'Pi-Ty? What is this Pi-Ty?'... Sometimes I worry about the Jedi...

Finally, though, there's the thing that makes no sense. That Light-Side Sith character of mine quite definitely draws power from emotion, and tries to use that power to do good things. But...

...If all emotion manifests itself as the Dark Side, then she herself should also be Dark Side aspected, despite choosing 'good' options wherever I could. And then I start thinking thoughts along the lines of Light Is Not Good and Dark Is Not Evil...

...Or, if only 'negative' emotions manifest as the Dark Side, and 'positive' emotions manifest as the Light Side... Well, that just means that the Jedi are perhaps being a bit over-cautious. Their concern seems to be that things like love *lead to* the Dark Side, rather than being inherently Dark aspected themselves. Love Makes You Crazy, and all that, with overtones of Love Makes You Evil. They arguably have a point. Nobody said that being a Light Sith would be easy, and if you have to teach people about the Force, you probably wouldn't want to encourage it. But I, at least, would argue that is could be theoretically possible.

Option 2 seems more consistent with what we see, at least to me.

But in the end, my points are these:

1) I think there might be a possible disconnect occasionally between the moral / ethical nature of dialog choices and whether they give Dark or Light points. A bit like the similar issue in Jade Empire, in fact. That's all down to the game.

2) I think it could be theoretically possible to play a character who does good things, yet technically follows the Sith code, and thinks that the Jedi code is worse. (After all, it's practically designed to sound enticingly innocuous...)

Sorry for the rambling.

There do seem to be aspects of the whole 'Light Side Sith' situation that don't make a lot of sense to me... But only in the area of the Force itself, and what the Dark Side and the Light Side actually *are*.

The reasoning behind my Light Side Sith Sorcerer (!) is something like this:

The Jedi code tells you to discard all emotions in favour of 'tranquility', 'serenity' and so forth. That's all very well in the case of things like anger and hatred, but what about other emotions, such as love, compassion, or pity?

The Sith code tells you to draw strength from your passions, and that that strength will give you the power to do whatever you want, more or less. It doesn't at any point say that all your passions have to be destructive or negative, or that the things that you want to do in the end have to be self-serving or 'evil' things.

So, she goes around making generally morally upstanding decisions. Also mocking arrogant people and being as sarcastic as possible, but that's allowed. :) As someone says quite early on, a Sith with a conscience. Her heart rules her head - Her passions override pure reason - And so she does what feels right. And somehow, that generates Light Side points.

Certainly, if she did make it obvious to the wrong people that she was all Light aspected, they might try to kill her, so... Don't do that. Lies of omission are both moderately acceptable in a moral sense, and consistent with general Sith behaviour. And if people who don't pose that sort of a threat notice that she's behaving oddly and call her on it - Well, she's a Sith, she does what she wants, and it's not for them to object. 'Them', in this case, being people not powerful enough to stop her.

So, in general, I think there's a possible answer to the point that 'surely the other Sith would kill them', namely that all you really need in order to be a Light-Sided Sith is to be strong enough to get away with it - And that fits right into the Sith code. Nothing wrong there.

I can also see that there are ways in which someone of good principle might *intentionally* choose to follow the Sith code instead of the Jedi code: The Sith code encourages selfish and amoral behaviour, certainly, and their society even more so, but it doesn't *dictate* it, and some people might regard the enforced rejection of all emotion to be worse on an individual level. After all, in one of the Tython quests, whenever I hear that Jedi Master saying that 'there is no room for pity in the heart of a Jedi', I start to hear a Dalek voice shouting 'Pi-Ty? What is this Pi-Ty?'... Sometimes I worry about the Jedi...

Finally, though, there's the thing that makes no sense. That Light-Side Sith character of mine quite definitely draws power from emotion, and tries to use that power to do good things. But...

...If all emotion manifests itself as the Dark Side, then she herself should also be Dark Side aspected, despite choosing 'good' options wherever I could. And then I start thinking thoughts along the lines of Light Is Not Good and Dark Is Not Evil...

...Or, if only 'negative' emotions manifest as the Dark Side, and 'positive' emotions manifest as the Light Side... Well, that just means that the Jedi are perhaps being a bit over-cautious. Their concern seems to be that things like love *lead to* the Dark Side, rather than being inherently Dark aspected themselves. Love Makes You Crazy, and all that, with overtones of Love Makes You Evil. They arguably have a point. Nobody said that being a Light Sith would be easy, and if you have to teach people about the Force, you probably wouldn't want to encourage it. But I, at least, would argue that is could be theoretically possible.

Option 2 seems more consistent with what we see, at least to me.

But in the end, my points are these:

1) I think there might be a possible disconnect occasionally between the moral / ethical nature of dialog choices and whether they give Dark or Light points. A bit like the similar issue in Jade Empire, in fact. That's all down to the game.

2) I think it could be theoretically possible to play a character who does good things, yet technically follows the Sith code, and thinks that the Jedi code is worse. (After all, it's practically designed to sound enticingly innocuous...)

Sorry for the rambling.

Your first paragraph is a misconception of the Jedi Code. The Jedi don't believe in becoming robots. The idea is not to let your emotions rule you. The Jedi seek to control their emotions and make decisions logically. The Jedi believe in mercy, compassion, love, and kindness. Jedi smile, Jedi laugh, and Jedi do have fun.

As for the second one.. a true Sith. It does. The Sith draw their power from Anger and Fear. Some even draw their power on the suffering of others. The Sith do not believe in compassion. To them compassion is a weakness. As is kindness. The Sith teach this to go against this is to go against the teachings of the Sith.

The reason the Jedi order didn't allow love is out of caution. They don't believe love is bad. The problem is that love can lead to someone acting on emotion rather than logic. Example. There's a ship of thousands about to blow up but elsewhere your spouse is hostage. Who do you save? Many would choose their spouse because they love them but that would be the selfish choice. The death of a loved one can also make one.. unstable and the threat of someone hurting him/her can make someone react hastily or angrily.

It's these reasons the Jedi council banned relationships. On the other hand Sith banned them for a different reason. To the Sith love makes you weak. A love can be exploited. A love can hold you back. If someone needs power over you all they have to do is control your lover. This is why Malgus murdered his own wife. I do like your take on your character but realize that your character would be twisting the teachings of the Sith. Now this isn't necessarily a bad things. I mean, even many dark sided Sith twist their own teachings to suit them but in the eyes of those that truly follow the ways of the Sith she'd be branded a heretic.

Note that not all Jedi follow the code correctly. There's many that take it too literally and become.. very uncaring to everyone else and their needs. These extreme Jedi are also on their way to the dark side.

Edited by Rhyltran

How many of you who are claiming "You're lawful evil" or your choices are "Bad but not as Bad" have actually played the Sith Warrior story ALL the way through as Light V? I can assure you that the Sith in the story ends up like a Jedi on the side of the Empire.

SPOILERS

You have the option multiple times to spread Jedi teachings. Your Sith even recites similar lines to the Jedi such as there is no emotion there is peace. The Sith Warrior is clearly Light Side hiding among the other Sith and you have the option to straight up tell Jaesa that the best method is to change the empire from within. You are not "More dark than a Jedi but Light for a Sith." you are extremely light by the end of chapter three. By the end of Act 1 when Jaessa uses her powers on you she see's you as a beacon of light.

You confront, when walking Jaessa's path a shadow version of yourself that is a reflection of your dark side. It insults you for being light and tells you that when the Sith find out you'll be destroyed. It tries to tempt you back to the dark side. There's no question about it. A Light Sith is Light and honestly I don't see a Light Sith as truly a Sith anymore. Just as a Dark Jedi is no longer truly a Jedi.

At last someone who understands. After playing a LS sith warrior I did not feel like a sith AT ALL.

i hate to tell you all but choosing some lightside and some darkside choices are counter productive. being if you look at the meter for the light/dark if you got 100 light and 50 dark you got 50 light total. both sides will take from the other

this anoy me while testing bez you beat a guy down who a mass murder .then they give you the choice to blow his head off or let him go (trooper story) and you are light side they give you 50 light to let him go but 150 dark to kill him .***!

but on a sith lightside they stated in the movie(s) that it easy to be part of the dark side and you fall forever but darth vader become a jedi again? which was his lightside choice you save his son by killing his master?

Edited by GenWindblade

It's these reasons the Jedi council banned relationships. On the other hand Sith banned them for a different reason. To the Sith love makes you weak. A love can be exploited. A love can hold you back. If someone needs power over you all they have to do is control your lover. This is why Malgus murdered his own wife. I do like your take on your character but realize that your character would be twisting the teachings of the Sith. Now this isn't necessarily a bad things. I mean, even many dark sided Sith twist their own teachings to suit them but in the eyes of those that truly follow the ways of the Sith she'd be branded a heretic.

Note that not all Jedi follow the code correctly. There's many that take it too literally and become.. very uncaring to everyone else and their needs. These extreme Jedi are also on their way to the dark side.

A classic example for this is the fall of Anakin Skywalker from a Jedi to Sith Lord in the movies. His fall was not due to his wanting power for powers sake alone but as a way to save Padme from the death he foresaw. What he did, he did out of love and compassion, However it was his acceptance of Sith teachings that ultimately caused Padme's death at his hand.

Ok this has been talked about for awhile and In my opinion LS sith are not sith anymore as they get further into there story/higher LS rank after playing an LS sith warrior to see what it is like I don't see how you can consider them sith. I try and state sources from books and lore to support why they aren't and I do agree they are interesting to play even if I prefer being dark side. I mean In my opinion if you reach about light 4 or 5 you should not be able to use majority of your dark side abilities but for gameplay reasons bioware did not do this. I mean if you walked into baras office or the academy or korriban and told them all that you are light side what do you think they would do? They would kill you.

I want to hear what other people think because in my opinion after playing kotor 2 and reading various empire and sith novels out there light side sith are not sith IMO. I am not opposing people playing LS sith but it annoys me when people say they still are and I ask why and they say i use my emotions! so it makes me sith! I hold the same opinion with dark jedi as well. So I am asking people who have better star wars knowledge than me what is your opinion on this?

edit:I put spoilers because people may use sources from this game or any source in star wars.

The way i see it is like this

Using light side of the force = Jedi

Using dark side of the force = Dark jedi = Sith

Sith are actually just Dark Jedi who named themselves Sith after an alien race that lived on korriban ( true sith ).

So if you use light side of the force you are not a sith.

And using emotions is not what makes you dark jedi or sith, its using dark side of the force , negative emotions ( anger, ...) just help you embrace the dark side, dark side then corrupts you and you start doing evil things like killing and torchering anyone who doest agree with you, or do it to innocent people just beacause you are corrupted evil maniac :)

IMO, if you made nothing but dark side choices in this game, your character wouldn't so much be evil... but insane. XD Some decisions that would give you dark side points could easily be considered as stupid strategically.

Besides, even the portrayal of Sith in the EU shows them having more than just hate and rage. They're still human. I can think of several graphic novels that show this. In Vader in particular (he still loves Padme; there's regret there, and I'm pretty certain he'd have brought her back from the dead if he could have).

The Jedi favor serenity over emotion of pretty much any kind. While dark side users feed on hate and rage, I think someone that passionate would have to feel other things as well. Also, Sith, unlike Jedi, are able to form attachments (again, Padme), and in the case of having attachment to people, feeling /some/ strong positive emotions towards certain individuals goes without saying. I think killing everybody in your path except for the few you love is still pretty dark.

As for Sith at Light I+, the game pretty much forces you to do a ton of darkside stuff, whether you make dark or light choices. Isn't slaughtering a ton of soldiers/aliens/staff/innocents/etc., and then at the end of the mission saying "Well, I'm not mean enough to steal your valuable data" (ding! light points!) still pretty bad? XD You may not get dark points for killing all of the technicians and whatnot just to steal their data, but it was pretty rotten, you've got to admit.

Your first paragraph is a misconception of the Jedi Code.

That may well be true, but taking the lines as written, I do find them unclear.

The Wookieepedia article is interesting, here. It says, for example, that the original form of the first line was 'Emotion, yet peace', which to me speaks rather differently than the more commonly quoted version, 'There is no emotion, there is peace'.

And interpretation makes quite a lot of difference.

The Jedi don't believe in becoming robots. The idea is not to let your emotions rule you. The Jedi seek to control their emotions and make decisions logically. The Jedi believe in mercy, compassion, love, and kindness. Jedi smile, Jedi laugh, and Jedi do have fun.

...But they're apparently not supposed to make decisions based on emotions, but rather based on reason.

And that's fine. But my first concluding point is that this doesn't always appear to be the case in the actual game. A decision made motivated entirely by compassion is likely to get you Light Side points, but a dispassionate decision based on reason is likely to get you Dark Side points. The thing with the medicine on Ord Mantell, for instance.

(I realise that many if not all these cases are likely to be subjective, and will vary based on individual interpretation, but surely the behaviour of the Force should be objective? I don't have an answer, I only wish to call attention to the inconsistency.)

As for the second one.. a true Sith. It does. The Sith draw their power from Anger and Fear. Some even draw their power on the suffering of others. The Sith do not believe in compassion. To them compassion is a weakness. As is kindness. The Sith teach this to go against this is to go against the teachings of the Sith.

That's more an in-character interpretation thing. :) That is to say, the in-character interpretation made by my Light-Sided Sith does indeed disagree with that made by all the other Sith she's met so far, but she thinks they're all wrong. :)

The reason the Jedi order didn't allow love is out of caution.

I too have come to that conclusion.

They don't believe love is bad. The problem is that love can lead to someone acting on emotion rather than logic.

...Ah, but there, you see, I'm not convinced that acting on emotion rather than logic is always bad. I'd phrase it more along the lines of... Even positive emotions can quickly lead to negative emotions. Love can quickly lead to, for example, fear. Or hatred.

The death of a loved one can also make one.. unstable and the threat of someone hurting him/her can make someone react hastily or angrily.

Like that, in fact.

I do like your take on your character but realize that your character would be twisting the teachings of the Sith. Now this isn't necessarily a bad things. I mean, even many dark sided Sith twist their own teachings to suit them but in the eyes of those that truly follow the ways of the Sith she'd be branded a heretic.

Oh, absolutely. Her interpretation / twisting of the Sith code is surely difficult to walk, because it does involve retaining self-control, in the sense of not allowing instinct to overwhelm ethics. Draw strength from your emotions, but don't allow them to overwhelm your judgement, and be selective about which ones you allow yourself to use. Emotion, yet peace. And that would be, according to the Internet, an original Jedi code line.

...Which she's never heard, of course. :) But then, there's the other aspect, that heresy is in the eyes of whoever is strongest, and that seems to be to be a very Sith sort of attitude to have. :)

Indeed. My question, essentially, is does the Dark Side come from what you do, or how you do it?

If it comes from 'How you do it' - That is, all usage of emotions to power the Force is inherently Dark - Then the only path to the Light Side is to follow the Jedi code in its current form, and pretty much anything else leads to the Dark Side. No Light-side Sith, and Dark-side Jedi are no longer really Jedi. (Also, Westley and Buttercup are very much Dark Side, and the Borg are actually pretty Light Side. But that's another story.)

If it comes from 'What you do' - Then you could in theory have Light Side Sith to some extent, and perhaps even Dark Side Jedi, without technically going against the letter of their codes. (Not the spirit of them, though.) A good few things in the game itself seem to behave this way.

In an RP context, though, I suspect it's a bit of both. I theorise that Dark and Light comes both from what you do, and probably Dark also comes from channelling strongly negative emotions. Maybe Light comes from positive ones, but allowing emotions to influence your decisions can very quickly lead to doing Dark things. Not always, but it's a risk.

Certainly the Jedi code is the socially responsible one to teach. :)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Code_of_the_Sith

My solve things out here :DGenerally Jedies are kind of any lawful/neutral...Siths are like pure chaotic either good or evil. Being good/showing mercy won't make siths a jedi...and insta-killin' a dangerous sith won't trully make a jedi a sith...and i could write an endless list here (trust me...I've met some crazy good roleplayers with woah ideas) about the differences and possibilities - but i won't :D All it needs is some common sense.

My sith is a powerhungry <no comment x.x xD> with some limits. (almost full light side points)

My jedi is like..meh..a common jedi. x.x

Edited by sealionic

That said, you should not lose access to abilities simply because you swing one way or the other alignment wise. The force is the force, no ability is inherently evil. No ability is inherently good.

Example, Luke Skywalker uses Force Choke and a variation of Force Lightening.

You are also still a classically trained Sith, there's no reason to forget what you have learnt simply because you do not run around stuffing babies onto spikes.

Wrong...according to licensed rpg books, Luke used the Darkside with the Force Choke..they had Darkside points..he had 2 Darkside points, one from the force choke, one from giving into his anger on the Death Star vs Vader.

Ok this has been talked about for awhile and In my opinion LS sith are not sith anymore as they get further into there story/higher LS rank after playing an LS sith warrior to see what it is like I don't see how you can consider them sith. I try and state sources from books and lore to support why they aren't and I do agree they are interesting to play even if I prefer being dark side. I mean In my opinion if you reach about light 4 or 5 you should not be able to use majority of your dark side abilities but for gameplay reasons bioware did not do this. I mean if you walked into baras office or the academy or korriban and told them all that you are light side what do you think they would do? They would kill you.

Amen...

I had a 12 pages topic discussion about this the other day....

There is NO WAY a light side sith would exist... if he is light side, he would no longer be or consider him self a Sith...

Been a Sith is been a part of a religion... you can't be catholic and don't belive in god...