Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 1800 Cartel coins I would expect to have at least the following:

• Collectors Edition, Founders and Subscribers all to receive a discount on this base cost.

This!

Founders have had to go through some merge and are here from the beginning, we are supporting you from the start!

Please provide us a bit of discount!!

I hope that clears some things up! Let me know if there are any major questions still pending that I missed.

-eric

- will there be an option to transfer entire legacy?

- what if my current name is already taken on the destination server by someone that's not even playing anymore or an abandoned alt? Is there any chance that i'll be able to keep my name and that guy asked for rename once he loggs back in?

Lemme guess how this works Eric,

1.) You will need a "Transfer Certificate" to transfer from your server to another.

2.) Transfer Certificates are available from a new kind of gambling pack

3.) The Transfer Certificate will be for a random destination server

4.) The Transfer Certificate will be an ultra rare drop

5.) You have to have Ultimate Hero status with the Cartel Market to use the Transfer Certificate

6.) Transfer Certificates are Single Use, Bind on Pickup

Did I get that right?

Complains about no transfers and how there's no official word.

Gets official word.

Finds new things to make up and complain about even though they don't exist while jumping down the messenger's throat.

Complains that there's little communication between devs and players.

See the cycle? And people wonder why devs avoid these toxic forums...

I'm a subscriber, CE owner and Founder title player. How much to transfer my Legacy Family? 1600cc per toon? Can I get some sort of deal for moving my entire Legacy Family?

I thought subscribers would get some deal.

I have 13 characters I need to transfer - most are 50-55 and with max crafting skills.

So 1600 x 13 = 20,800cc?

You must be joking as to this amount needed.

THIS IS A BIG SLAP IN THE FACE TO YOUR LOYAL SUBSCRIBERS

Edited by pooks

Hey folks,

How much do transfers cost?

Paid character transfers cost 1800 Cartel Coins per character. The purchase must be made using Cartel Coins.

-eric

Wait, what? I was force-transfered from an RP server to a PVP, and now I have to pay $120 to correct this?

Wait, what? I was force-transfered from an RP server to a PVP, and now I have to pay $120 to correct this?

I can top that. While I was out of the country and obviously not playing my characters got transferred from a West coast server where I am to an East coast one, only to get told there was a short time period in which I could have picked a different one (too bad my West coast rp-pvp server option no longer exists), but that server type exists ONLY as an East coast option now so even if they hadn't told me "missed that time period? Too bad" I wouldn't have had the server type I wanted anyhow.

Everyone keeps comparing the cost of transfers to other games, but those games didn't have the server problems SWTOR had at the beginning. I was there when it started and there were server ques and people complained and they added a bunch of servers spreading out populations so much they had to fix them with server mergers twice. Founder's should get a discount because we were affected the most. Just because they can make money charging us for transfers doesn't mean they have to. From the forums I've read, most people have multiple characters to transfer. Yes, I can spent my stipend of CC coins but I've got 3 characters to move. If you made the transfer cheaper you will be giving people a chance to play the game even more, but by charging so much for a problem you let happen your only gonna make subbers leave.

Well blizzard charges $25 a toon on WoW. So Biowares cost isnt surprising at all. Yes the cost is expensive to transfer but I for one am happy we even have the option to transfer. So for me the cost is worth it rather than sitting on a server I don't care to be on.

Thanks so much for the update, Eric! Now I can decide who gets transferred and start organizing my stuff and "packing" in preparation! I am quite pleased with the pricing, if buying the largest amount of coins it is quite affordable. :) I am glad to hear that the higher Legacy will take precedence, too.

There is one thing I am wondering about names, though. You mention that if your character's name is taken "by another player", you will have to rename. But I have two versions of the same character on different servers, with the same name -- does that mean I will have to rename the version that is on my "destination" server, instead of the character that I am transferring? I'm also wondering about this because I have made a couple of placeholder characters to save the names of certain characters I plan to transfer, and this has me wondering if I should delete these placeholders before I do the transfers or if the characters I am transferring over will get to keep their names anyway.

I think it will work the same as other games have done, also, same as SWToR has done in the past when Server Merges were happening. If you have a character named "Rock" on the destination Server, and you want to transfer a character from another Server with the name "Rock", the transferred character ( or Rock ) lol, will be flagged to change names when they first log in on the new Server, because "Rock" already lives there, and was there first :)

What I have done, is create a character on the destination Server named "Rock" that I did nothing with, it was just a name holder, so when the real "Rock" got there, I just deleted fake "Rock" and then re-named "Rock" to "Rock" :cool:

note: "Rock" is only used as an example, if I offend anyone by using an actual character name of someone, that was not my intention :) If "Rock" is a name someone has used for a character, then replace "Rock" with "Paper' :o

Seriously though, I am pretty confident they will follow the normal method on character names with the transfers, so if you have a name you really care about, make sure you check and create a name holder on the destination server so you won't be disappointed when you do the transfer :)

Hope that helps!

1800 CC FOR EACH CHARACTER?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

*** Bioware.... your subscribers are keeping this game afloat.. what is the value proposition in being a subscriber... i'm sorry but this game is tanking....

Recycled content as nightmare ops?

Zero meaningful PVP updates in 10+ months?

Lack of Group Finder for a LONG TIME

Consolidated Story Line

The failed bolster experiment

The failed open world pvp experiment

Dyes are not content upgrades to meet the 8 week content update cadence

To all the people that are gonna hate on this comment... look around... 2.5 million bought this game. How many still play...

Everyone needs to chime in on this and voice your displeasure with Bioware and ask them... what the heck do subscribers get?? Not even a deal on multiple characters.

And that argument that the "other game" charges more does not hold water... this game doesn't have the same population, market share, and content. That "other game" is a premium game, and this game should realize that is it not even in the same league as the "other game" to charge for this like Bioware is.

Edited by MacrossMan

1800 CC FOR EACH CHARACTER?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

*** Bioware.... your subscribers are keeping this game afloat.. what is the value proposition in being a subscriber... i'm sorry but this game is tanking....

Recycled content as nightmare ops?

Zero meaningful PVP updates in 10+ months?

Lack of Group Finder for a LONG TIME

Consolidated Story Line

The failed bolster experiment

The failed open world pvp experiment

Dyes are not content upgrades to meet the 8 week content update cadence

To all the people that are gonna hate on this comment... look around... 2.5 million bought this game. How many still play...

Everyone needs to chime in on this and voice your displeasure with Bioware and ask them... what the heck do subscribers get?? Not even a deal on multiple characters.

And that argument that the "other game" charges more does not hold water... this game doesn't have the same population, market share, and content. That "other game" is a premium game, and this game should realize that is it not even in the same league as the "other game" to charge for this like Bioware is.

WOW is not the only other game. Swtor's transfer costs is lower than the industry standard and also don't forget that Swtor is the 2nd largest subscription MMO in Western.

• Lord of the Rings Online: $24.95 / €21.95 / £18.95 / 2,995 Turbine Points
  • World of Warcraft: $25 / 20€ / £15
  • Everquest II: 2500 SC ($25 USD)
  • Guild Wars 2: $22 (1800 gems)
  • Swtor: 1800 CC (~$15 USD) or Free in 3-4 months for subscribers.

Edited by Alduinsm

So piss poor server management will make them rich this way at subscriber's expense. I had to re-roll on 2 other servers because of unplayable desert barren servers and now I have to pay for their mismanagement -- epic PR failure move on EA's part.

Subs should get 1 free legacy family tree transfer. Period.

Hey folks,

I know there have been quite a few questions around paid character transfers so I spent some time rounding up the answers to the more heavily asked ones and here they are! If there are any that I missed please feel free to post them in this thread and I will see what I can find out.

How much do transfers cost?

Paid character transfers cost 1800 Cartel Coins per character. The purchase must be made using Cartel Coins.

How do I transfer a character?

Once the service is live in 2.2, you will be able to go to your account page here on swtor.com and transfer from there.

What happens if there is a name collision?

If your character name is already taken by another player on your new server, you will need to rename your character. Your character will be “flagged” for a rename once you login.

Will my Legacy, Achievements, and Collections all transfer with my character?

Yes! All of your Legacy unlocks, Achievements earned, and triggered Collections will be waiting for you.

What happens if I have a Legacy on both my source and destination servers?

Whichever Legacy is of a higher level will take precedence and become your new Legacy. This has no affect on unlocks, the unlocks from both Legacies will combine. For example: You are transferring a character from the Bastion to the Harbinger. The character you are transferring from the Bastion is in a level 27 Legacy. Currently on Harbinger you have a level 13 Legacy. After the transfer you will now have a level 27 Legacy on Harbinger which combines the unlocks from both servers.

Is there a way to transfer a guild?

There is currently no method in place to transfer an entire guild at one time. Each person must transfer their characters individually and recreate their guild on the new server.

I hope that clears some things up! Let me know if there are any major questions still pending that I missed.

-eric

While I didn't plan on moving..... the guild issue existed already when you merged server however you at least gave the options to guild leaders to contact you and get guildbanks restored. Is this gonna work as well?

Also.... subscriber charging the same price as f2p player undervalues subscriptions again... and I thought you wanted to address this. :confused:

To be fair. I had to move to another server because of server merges.They should at least allow one free char move for all the players that they forced to move before.

But if not i will have to pay with cc to bring all my chars togetter.

Either way i am glad that server transfers are coming soon.

WOW is not the only other game. Swtor's transfer costs is lower than the industry standard and also don't forget that Swtor is the 2nd largest subscription MMO in Western.

• Lord of the Rings Online: $24.95 / €21.95 / £18.95 / 2,995 Turbine Points
  • World of Warcraft: $25 / 20€ / £15
  • Everquest II: 2500 SC ($25 USD)
  • Guild Wars 2: $22 (1800 gems)
  • Swtor: 1800 CC (~$15 USD) or Free in 3-4 months for subscribers.

on the other side of the coin Rift is absolutely free and you can transfer as much as you want. it's quite nice really :) see which servers have high pop when you log in.. transfer whatever toon you want to that "shard" (server) and you may commence face-melting !

plus.. where do you get the free in 3-4 months for subscribers? and if it's true how ****** that BW is going to try to even milk off more subscriber money to do transfers unless you want to wait til the xmas season lol. what a B.S. gouging of subscribers. glad my 15 bucks a month purchases me as many wz's as i want and 2 extra skill bars.. ooooh how F'ing valued I feel :(

Edited by Feztonio

So... I purchased extra character slots on Dalborra. Server closing is not my choice, and I must move my characters. But you're only giving me 12 character slots on Harbinger. Please fix.

All fixed ;)

When you purchased Character Slots on Dalborra, you also purchased Character Slots on every other Server,

since the Cartel Character Slot unlock is Account wide, not just Server to Server :)

on the other side of the coin Rift is absolutely free and you can transfer as much as you want. it's quite nice really :) see which servers have high pop when you log in.. transfer whatever toon you want to that "shard" (server) and you may commence face-melting !

plus.. where do you get the free in 3-4 months for subscribers? and if it's true how ****** that BW is going to try to even milk off more subscriber money to do transfers unless you want to wait til the xmas season lol. what a B.S. gouging of subscribers. glad my 15 bucks a month purchases me as many wz's as i want and 2 extra skill bars.. ooooh how F'ing valued I feel :(

500-600 CC each month for subscribers.

Ok, so I just did the math on this and am even more confused as to why people are whining.

Here's the breakdown:

Regular Rate:

2400 Cartel Coins = $20

(used since this is the lowest amount that completely covers the Transfer)

At a rate of 120 CC = $1

1800/120 = $15

1 Transfer costs roughly $15 for non-subscribers.

Subscriber Rate:

600 Cartel Coins (subscriber allowance)

+

2400 Cartel Coins = $20

(used since this is the lowest amount that completely covers the Transfer)

At a rate of 120 CC = $1

1800-600=1200

1200/120= $10

1 Transfer costs roughly $10 for subscribers.

RESULTS:

Regular: $15

Subscriber: $10

Subscribers get a potential 33% discount on their 1st transfer of the month. :D

Even better! If you're a patient subscriber and don't spend the remaining 1200 CC then you get the same rate for the next month with no additional $$$ spent.

If I'm wrong, please show me the error in my math.

EDIT: Corrected a TON of typos...

Edited by Markuswaters
added EDIT note

What happens if I have a Legacy on both my source and destination servers?

Whichever Legacy is of a higher level will take precedence and become your new Legacy. This has no affect on unlocks, the unlocks from both Legacies will combine. For example: You are transferring a character from the Bastion to the Harbinger. The character you are transferring from the Bastion is in a level 27 Legacy. Currently on Harbinger you have a level 13 Legacy. After the transfer you will now have a level 27 Legacy on Harbinger which combines the unlocks from both servers.

[

Question about the Legacy name: The level of my legacy on the source server is higher, but I prefer the new legacy name on the destination server. Since the higher level legacy will take precedence, i fear I will end up with the old legacy name I don´t like anymore. Is there any chance to choose the name, or to rename the legacy after the char transfer?