Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this game truly lost cause?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is this game truly lost cause?

Inverzee
05.08.2015 , 05:08 PM | #1
Is this game truly lost cause? without future and evolving? ( engine update newer, draw distance slider newer, increase amount of employee newer) just more and more planets??

Shwarzchild
05.08.2015 , 05:12 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Inverzee View Post
Is this game truly lost cause? without future and evolving? ( engine update newer, draw distance slider newer, increase amount of employee newer) just more and more planets??
This game has a future. I think we can argue about the direction it will go, but it definitely has a future.

Anaesha
05.08.2015 , 05:12 PM | #3
I don't mean to be rude but We've had enough negative BS today I don't really think we need any *********** more!!

JodoWalker
05.08.2015 , 05:21 PM | #4
There are plenty of people that don't post that are enjoying the game.
SWTOR does have a future, perhaps not for you, but it will for someone else.

Bobs_YourUncle
05.08.2015 , 05:22 PM | #5
No way, its a great game.

TheSeventhJedi
05.08.2015 , 05:26 PM | #6
I've been playing it nonstop since launch. It may not have the hype surrounding CoD or Madden 57, but the longevity wins. I'm sure I'll be playing till they shut it down.
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

anantaddg
05.08.2015 , 05:28 PM | #7
... just more and more planets??
More and more planets means no future? ***? Looks like a bright future to me

LionheartGEN
05.08.2015 , 05:35 PM | #8
So many of these threads and sentiments from people who get wrapped up in the forums and nay-saying instead of enjoying the game itself...

There's going to be a bump in activity; if not later this year then in early 2016 due to a renewed mass interest in the brand. Canon or not as far as game-story goes now, I can't see how people keep foaming at the mouths and/or quaking with the idea that TOR is 'lost', 'dying', or 'done for'.

The only way it's a lost cause is if more people continue to spend their time griping instead of playing, supporting, and participating as a community.

...and pulling stupid, neanderthalic stunts like recently.

arunav
05.08.2015 , 05:47 PM | #9
Depends - given what a "planet" is post-Makeb, and the loss of even faction stories and side quests with cutscenes, the game is certainly devolving in my opinion.

SWTOR will still be running for some time, and making plenty of money no doubt off of the CM. But I've lost any expectation of the team in Austin ever getting the funding to create a planet on the scope of anything from 1-50 and Makeb, even for paid expansions. I'd gladly pay more, but EA simply isn't giving BW the funding.

Like someone else posted above, depends on what you get out of the game and why you play it. If you want the scope and quality of the releases up and through parts of 2013, it's unlikely, because that was all content that was in the works before the team lost so many developers, and EA realized they could just sell packs and make more money.

If you play to log in to a SW-themed game, with minimal but continuing updates of sorts, then sure, the game lives on. 1-2 Ops per year, maybe a WZ or arena, a few tactical FPs that will later be HMs in the next expansion. This year, we got Ziost, 3 small, unconnected zones deemed a planet, and there's so little left for the rest of the year, they just turned XP up to 12x until "fall."
"In the end, cowards are those that follow the dark side."

Free Inventory Slot, Character Transfer, and Subscription Time:
http://www.swtor.com/r/YpmgMVhttp://

Kalfear
05.08.2015 , 05:50 PM | #10
Depends on what you want from a MMORPG

If you are looking for huge community in game with ground breaking pve and pvp content

Then yes, its probably a lost cause as none of those things exist
-The community is subset into guilds of varying sizes and unlike many other games the game offers no reason to interact outside ones guild. Which makes this much more like a multiplayer game then a MMORPG
-The PVE content is ultra ultra ultra easy and you really have to TRY HARD if you are hoping to die even occationally. Normal mistakes that result in death in other games are not present in this game (outside of Ops and really bad Flashpoint GF groups)
- The PVP is a joke, always has been

But having said that, if you are looking for a small multiplayer setting casual game to play couple hours here and there and not really look for the the normal MMORPG experience, you can have fun and laughs.

It took me a really long time to let go of the gamer mentality that I should be challenged in game.
But when I accepted this game is more akin to a D&D Montey Hall Campaign, then it is to high adventure
Well Ive learned to appreciate it for what it is

I just took the money I would normally pay here (outside of sub of course) and spend it on other products (normally Steam Sales) not associated to EA and SW:TOR. Its cost them easily anywhere for $250-$500 a year income from me as a player but figure that was their goal all along by not creating more challenging and interesting content.

So to answer your question, you have to answer it for yourself.
SW:TOR will NEVER be that high adventure, adrenaline pumping, thrill a second ride we all hoped it would be.
But its a nice distraction when your not looking to challenge yourself mentally or tactically.
All in all its a easy mode dungeon romp with overly high rewards (and appearently there is a market for that so SW:TOR will be around for years offering that).

It is what it is and each person has to come to terms with that.
In regards to lessening F2P and Preferred restrictions
In GAMING, as in LIFE,
You get what you pay for
No game restriction is so dire that $15.00/month will not eliminate it