Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR made $139m dollars in 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR made $139m dollars in 2013

Tatile
01.20.2014 , 06:41 AM | #11
Well hey, if that keeps up, any chance we'd get a decent story-based expansion?

Rabenschwinge
01.20.2014 , 06:44 AM | #12
I don't get it. Does the remark "not counting subscription fees" refer to World of Warcraft only, or to all games in that list?

I'd be curious not just for the revenue, but also the total turnover and thus the return on turnover...

znihilist
01.20.2014 , 06:47 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Similarly, Star Wars: The Old Republic earned $139 million in additional revenues
Keyword "additional"!

Quote: Originally Posted by dorpen View Post
I'm talking about from the point of view from the investors and EA. This game has been in the works for quite a few years and took some time to generate a profit. My point is now that EA has found it's profitable side they'll make sure it's focused more on that with content updates taking a backseat.
With all the flak they get, EA is not naive or stupid. Regular content updates ensure the profitable side because it creates a dynamic environment where people will play and find incentive to spend additional money.
SWTOR: KotFE, Rise of the Ehh I guess I'll get used to it eventually

Sportiva
01.20.2014 , 06:52 AM | #14
Well that number really mean anything at this point. What will really be important is year-over-year revenues. If 2013 shows growth, that's a pretty good sign, but if there is a decline in revenues that could mark trouble.

Best we could look at now is Q4 2012 v. Q4 2013, but even at that it is only one quarter to try to determine if the health of the game.
Master Jaice Jenod Guardian | Velo Jenx Gunslinger | Master Gira Jenx Sage | Major Jaxen Jenod Vanguard
Saena Jenod Mercenary | Dulymus Jenod Operative | Darth Scoura Assassin | Darth Zetara Marauder

dorpen
01.20.2014 , 06:57 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post

With all the flak they get, EA is not naive or stupid. Regular content updates ensure the profitable side because it creates a dynamic environment where people will play and find incentive to spend additional money.
I don't want to make it seem like I'm saying they'll halt altogether and only focus on micro transactions, I'm just worried that a majority of it will be and Bioware won't be able to sculpt the game to it's full potential. That's just a worry, I'm not predicting or saying that will happen. Eric said Bioware is working on a road map style post to give the forums/player base an idea where we're going in 2014 and I'll wait until then to see how they're faring.

znihilist
01.20.2014 , 07:18 AM | #16
I don't want to make it seem like I'm saying they'll halt altogether and only focus on micro transactions, I'm just worried that a majority of it will be and Bioware won't be able to sculpt the game to it's full potential. That's just a worry, I'm not predicting or saying that will happen. Eric said Bioware is working on a road map style post to give the forums/player base an idea where we're going in 2014 and I'll wait until then to see how they're faring.
That's a fair and a very reasonable point. However, I think that our information is old, old in the sense that people at BW/EA already know of this, so with the way (content wise) things have been progressing in the last year I think we can be optimistic (to a certain degree).

Edit: I forgot to say that it is indeed prudent to wait for the roadmap.
SWTOR: KotFE, Rise of the Ehh I guess I'll get used to it eventually

aeterno
01.20.2014 , 07:48 AM | #17
If that's MT only and you add say 350k subs at 15$ per month you get to 200mil yearly revenue.

Which is 20mil more than 1mil subs get you. And 1mil subs was stated prior launch as the "profitable" point for them "tho nothing to write home about" (compared to wow 3bil profit earnings sure I guess). And that was prior the studio going on a large diet.

So not too shabby it seems. Here's hoping a decent portion of it gets reinvested.

hadoken
01.20.2014 , 07:49 AM | #18
I'm talking about from the point of view from the investors and EA. This game has been in the works for quite a few years and took some time to generate a profit. My point is now that EA has found it's profitable side they'll make sure it's focused more on that with content updates taking a backseat.
huh? They can't make any profit before the game's released. It launched 12/20/2011 and went FTP less than a year later. So you could argue that for ONE year they didn't make a profit, and then last year they did. This is hardly "quite a few years" without profit. It's literally ONE.

OddballEasyEight
01.20.2014 , 08:12 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
huh? They can't make any profit before the game's released. It launched 12/20/2011 and went FTP less than a year later. So you could argue that for ONE year they didn't make a profit, and then last year they did. This is hardly "quite a few years" without profit. It's literally ONE.
Actually, they DID make a profit that first year, just not nearly enough for what they thought they'd make. And going F2P was to save the game from dying due to loss of subs.
But from sales alone paired with the initial subs (remember that everyone had to sub for at least a month) they made their investment back.
But to break even in the long run they needed 500.000 subscriptions and those were dwindling fast.
I seriously doubt that SW:TOR was a loss for EA/BioWare during that first year, but it sure was heading in that direction.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

hadoken
01.20.2014 , 08:18 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
Actually, they DID make a profit that first year, just not nearly enough for what they thought they'd make.
Well, if you say so. I haven't seen any figures on that myself though I haven't been paying that much attention. Seems odd to me if they made a profit that first year they'd of let go as many people they did and switch to FTP so fast. Either way, the guy I was replying to was saying that it's been "years" without profit, which is just wrong regardless.