Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One reason there is a tank shortage in group finder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One reason there is a tank shortage in group finder

BobaTed
12.27.2012 , 01:37 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Cupelixx View Post
True, but like I said, the DPS were a bit shoddy as well. It just made more sense to find another group. And yes, This person definitely knew they were the healer. They were queued for it and there was no other class there that could have been a healer.
Last time I ran instances (which, admittedly, was a long, long time ago), the group finder paid no mind to the role you queued for - just your class. Which meant my DPS-specc'ed Shadow was classified as "tank" even though I'd queued as DPS (the rest of the team were 2 sentinels, a gunslinger, and a sage).

Might be what happened here?

Cupelixx
12.27.2012 , 01:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by BobaTed View Post
How do you know the sorcerer was specc'ed into Corruption?
Fair question. Even with the lack of healing and spamming DPS abilities instead, I DID see Revivification getting thrown. Extremly sparingly, however. Since they were they only sorc in the group, they had to be Corruption.

Commander_Hawke
12.27.2012 , 01:38 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Possible Solution: Default Tanks to the Group Leader Position in group finder groups. If the Tank is getting abused the abussive player can be removed BY THE TANK. *Evil Grin*
I like where your head is at.

chuixupu
12.27.2012 , 01:39 PM | #14
To be fair, having done a lot of healing over the years, healers take this same kind of abuse. I've healed my butt off trying to keep up stupid dps that stand in stuff and pull off tanks only to be insulted and booted. A guildy of mine who heals our HM EC/TFB Operations got booted out of a Group finder SM Karraga's Palace and called "the worst healer ever" because he couldn't heal stupid.

Tanks probably do have it worse though because the group generally looks to them to know what to do and lead the group around.

Anyway, there are some kinds of people that just want to pick someone to blame for failure - usually the one at fault is the one dishing it out.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Urael
12.27.2012 , 01:43 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
To be fair, having done a lot of healing over the years, healers take this same kind of abuse. I've healed my butt off trying to keep up stupid dps that stand in stuff and pull off tanks only to be insulted and booted. A guildy of mine who heals our HM EC/TFB Operations got booted out of a Group finder SM Karraga's Palace and called "the worst healer ever" because he couldn't heal stupid.

Tanks probably do have it worse though because the group generally looks to them to know what to do and lead the group around.

Anyway, there are some kinds of people that just want to pick someone to blame for failure - usually the one at fault is the one dishing it out.
Isn't it always the healers fault?

*ducks* ...

No seriously ... Tanks and or Healers should be the group leaders since they both have certain perspectives on "battle field awareness". NEVER DPS (and I am primarily a DPS player).

itsmymillertime
12.27.2012 , 01:45 PM | #16
Sorry, OP, you did not handle it correctly. When the healer does not heal, call them out or kick them. Maybe they do not understand the rules of the game, but better to find it out than wiping and wasting your time.

SecretScientist
12.27.2012 , 01:50 PM | #17
Crappy group members aside, tank is the hardest role to play in this game. Not only do you have to know all the mechanics, you're often the person who has to explain them. Also, you're frequently the default group leader and that just doesn't sit well with every player.

There is a worse job though. Try playing a healer and healing a crappy pug. It is frustration squared.

Cupelixx
12.27.2012 , 01:50 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ravagexe View Post
Seriously...I roleplayed in Ultima Online, I raided in WoW, I met people in Secret World, got into groups in Champions Online and DCU, I even played Final Fantasy. But hell, SWTOR has the worst PUG community out of all. If you want to be succesfull or get an easy time through community, a friendly Guild is a MUST.
Up until last night, I would have disagreed with you and said WOW by far was the worst PUG experience. Back in WOW I was a druid tank, main tanked our guild raids, ran group finder with my wife (priest healer) "after hours". We once got queued in ZG with a pair of DPS from another realm that constantly ninja pulled to wipe the group, then would sit there and do nothing. Their sole reason for doing this by their own admission was they were p****** off that they had to wait 45 minutes in the group finder, so they were going to act "however we feel like it, we're entitled". By far the worst PUG experience I've had in any MMO, including what I saw last night.

But also on my 2nd tank (Jugg) last night, that group went through and vote kicked 2 DPS that were complete fails. Until last night, my experience here has generally been positive. Sure, there's some occasional toolery but so far pretty positive. I hate to say it, but I think a lot of it lately comes down to f2p and kids being out of school :/

BobaTed
12.27.2012 , 01:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Cupelixx View Post
Fair question. Even with the lack of healing and spamming DPS abilities instead, I DID see Revivification getting thrown. Extremly sparingly, however. Since they were they only sorc in the group, they had to be Corruption.
That just means he put a point in Corruption. He may have been more specc'ed for DPS than for heals.

Does anyone know if this bug has been fixed yet? If not, this may be what happened to the OP.

SharpG
12.27.2012 , 01:59 PM | #20
Honestly, after playing all 3 roles for a year in this game now, DPS get bashed on probably the most out of the three. Good DPS are RARELY recognized and usually just lumped in with the rest being called derps because of a few bad apples who can't drop threat/avoid circles and do damage to save their life. There are a TON of stupid DPS, they shouldn't be doing stupid things but when the DPS make mistakes they tend to get bashed upon pretty hard because the healer "Has to fix their mistakes". Honestly healers get bashed on WAY more then tanks. People see dropping HP and immediately associate it with a bad healer instead of them making mistakes. That being said there are plenty of bad healers that should be able to heal through the occasional mistake. You can have a mediocre tank but as long as you have a good healer it'll cover up that mediocre tanking quite a bit.

Anywho, just some rambling of mine