Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will swtor ever go free to play?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will swtor ever go free to play?

Optrex
03.30.2012 , 06:20 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
the only ones who are delusional are the ones that think this is gonna crash and burn, this game has as much chance over its lifetime of going f2p as wow did and does. And dont anyone spout this will never get anywhere near as wow did cos unless your clairvoyant you dont have a chance of knowing.

Star wars is the strongest IP in the world and more money then some small countrys to throw at it.
You dont need to be clairvoyant to know that this does not stand a chance of being anything better than it has been already. 1.7mil will be the max subs this game will ever pull and it will go down. No amount of patches will change the foundation of the game which is a single player game with a few MMO additions.

Scerge
03.30.2012 , 06:24 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Optrex View Post
You dont need to be clairvoyant to know that this does not stand a chance of being anything better than it has been already. 1.7mil will be the max subs this game will ever pull and it will go down. No amount of patches will change the foundation of the game which is a single player game with a few MMO additions.

I'd like to see how you got your statistics.

Go back to WoW please.

Edit: I know a game called world of tanks and it has MILLIONS of players and it's a friggin tank game, star wars is more popular than tanks so it would have a LOT MORE players than a friggin WW2 tank game.
Battlebug
Quote:
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
13-12-11 7 Day Early Access Squadron.

Runeshard
03.30.2012 , 06:25 PM | #13
Um, the sub numbers as of the end of Feb/start of March was 1.7 million, making it very likely that the sub numbers went even higher when, a week or so later, the Australian/Asian servers opened.
"My allies find refuge behind me, my enemies fall before me." Jedi Guardian

Octavariumdream
03.30.2012 , 06:30 PM | #14
Considering games like FFXI are still charging a subscription fee with about 200,000 players, I doubt SW will go F2P anytime soon. Even if TOR dips down to let's say 500,000 subscribers, that's still over 7million$ a month in their pockets. Of course, if the game hovers around 1,000,000 players, which I believe it can maintain, then that's double the cash.

I get that for the hardcore of hardcore players, TOR offers very little in terms of wasting your time in game. To the average gamer though, this game is great and you feel as though you can get something done every time you log in. F2P isn't always based on subscription numbers, but it often is. You can't tell me a game like DC universe was going on survive on subs alone.

Optrex
03.30.2012 , 06:31 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Scerge View Post
I'd like to see how you got your statistics.

Go back to WoW please.

Edit: I know a game called world of tanks and it has MILLIONS of players and it's a friggin tank game, star wars is more popular than tanks so it would have a LOT MORE players than a friggin WW2 tank game.
Who needs statistics with a game like this ..... experience and observation of the game is more than enough to draw a rough conclusion.

Is "Go back to WoW please" some kind of way to try and offend ppl or something?
And just because its a 'Star Wars' game doesn't make a better game.

Darth_Moonshadow
03.30.2012 , 06:32 PM | #16
Who needs statistics with a game like this ..... experience and observation of the game is more than enough to draw a rough conclusion.

Translation: I have no numbers so I'll just poorly deflect the post and continue pretending I know something.

Numbers, sir. Either produce them or leave.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

tehrealdealz
03.30.2012 , 06:34 PM | #17

Actually. It is. When someone tells you "Go back to WoW" basically that person is saying your a players thats used to being spoon fed everything. Epics, Titles, Mounts, Pets, etc etc without having to do any really anything.

Scerge
03.30.2012 , 06:35 PM | #18
Who needs statistics with a game like this

If it's so bad Mr Hero why are you still here?

The door is open.
Battlebug
Quote:
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
13-12-11 7 Day Early Access Squadron.

Runeshard
03.30.2012 , 06:36 PM | #19

Well, seeing as your experience and observation of the game have most likely lead you wrong, as I pointed out in my post above, I'd say you do need to look at some statistics.
"My allies find refuge behind me, my enemies fall before me." Jedi Guardian

notebene
03.30.2012 , 06:40 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
I know alot of newly released mmos that were supposed to be giant and went F2P after a while. Do you guys think swtor will go that route and when?
1. Why do you ask?
2. What would a 'No' answer mean to you?
3. What would a 'Yes' answer mean to you?
MOTD - One Giant Server - When I'll Need To Make My 'Bucket-List' List 1. I'm not having fun any more. 2. Puritans. 3. One or more characters were renamed in a server merge. 4. Something given to 'all characters on account' are not given to 'all characters on account'. 5. Design by Committee.