Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will swtor ever go free to play?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will swtor ever go free to play?

tehrealdealz
03.30.2012 , 05:42 PM | #1
I know alot of newly released mmos that were supposed to be giant and went F2P after a while. Do you guys think swtor will go that route and when?

Kthx
03.30.2012 , 05:43 PM | #2
No, I do not believe so. I think the soon-to-be-published subscription numbers will clearly explain why.

DeutschGamer
03.30.2012 , 05:45 PM | #3
I hope not, updates for F2P games generally become non-existent. Especially when EA is the publisher.

Kraith
03.30.2012 , 05:46 PM | #4
What do you think? What normally makes a mmo go F2P? Lack of interest? Lack of subs? People think just because every server isn't full on a Tuesday afternoon @1430 the game is losing subs. I love this game, but because of this little thing called "work" I cant play nor have I had more than an hour each night over the past 2 weeks to play. Does my absence mean that I dislike the game or I am unsubbing? Nope, it only means that I can not play because of my real life. Wait until may-june when the kids get out of school and college is out and you will see the populations go up again. Just like every year on almost every MMO (to include SWG).

Tizzysawr
03.30.2012 , 05:48 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraith View Post
Wait until may-june when the kids get out of school and college is out and you will see the populations go up again. Just like every year on almost every MMO (to include SWG).
You can also bet there'll be a game update (1.3?) by June or so to attract said demographic along with 1.2 being released mid-April to keep people from getting TERA.

EDIT:

To the OP: No, I don't think it'll be going F2P anytime soon. Considering Star Wars Galaxies had a much less impressive run than TOR has so far (Though it's still very early to tell) and it never went F2P, I don't think TOR will ever see such need.

And before anyone speaks of Galaxies closing, it close because the license expired when TOR launched. Not because it wasn't making any money even when it was a mess.

Sarx
03.30.2012 , 05:48 PM | #6
It might eventually, but not for quite a while. Unless you consider something like WoW's FTP up to lev 20 system.
Oh, there will be a day of reckoning for you, non-believer! A totaling of sums and a snapping of necks, and you will count yourself among the damned!
-Sparks, Sealab 2021

Darth_Moonshadow
03.30.2012 , 05:48 PM | #7
Nope. Unless EA wants to get more money out of the playerbase.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Jett-Rinn
03.30.2012 , 05:52 PM | #8
Not gonna happen subs numbers are too high and are still growing.

Optrex
03.30.2012 , 06:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jett-Rinn View Post
Not gonna happen subs numbers are too high and are still growing.
Are people still this delusional?

Shingara
03.30.2012 , 06:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Optrex View Post
Are people still this delusional?
the only ones who are delusional are the ones that think this is gonna crash and burn, this game has as much chance over its lifetime of going f2p as wow did and does. And dont anyone spout this will never get anywhere near as wow did cos unless your clairvoyant you dont have a chance of knowing.

Star wars is the strongest IP in the world and more money then some small countrys to throw at it.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731