Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this game truly lost cause?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is this game truly lost cause?

Slowpokeking
05.18.2015 , 10:50 AM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
I disagree wholesale with the MMORPG being a lost cause. Rather, I think the strictly theme park MMORPG is a lost cause.

Ultimately, the promise of this genre isn't to show up for tea and see all the china laid out ever-so-nicely at your fingertips -- it's to be the person, not just setting out all that finery, but the artisan who crafts it, the hauler who delivers it to a store, the shopkeep who sells it, and the butler who orders the footman to arrange it.

People are exhausted with riding the same rides... and the problem is, no matter how many ways you redecorate these attractions, they all manage to remain the same. Strip away the fašade, and every newcomer to the carnival is peddling the same junk booth games; proffering identical, knock-off stuffed Stewie Griffin dolls. Even worse, as time passes, content is consumed ever-faster. We've created an entire generation of burnout, under-employed mid-30s types who feast on these titles in-total in the span of a few months. How can a designer cope with that?

The MMORPG that provides players not just with the ability to visit these worlds, but to help in shaping them is going to be the "next big thing." A stagnant market isn't a dead market; it's a market waiting to be shaken up -- to be revitalized and reborn. And, at some point, someone is going to realize that instead of covetously hoarding the keys to the Mercedes, handing them off to the players is actually the crucial next step -- not just to lowering overhead, but to building a world that people will invest years upon years into, forever changing the genre as a whole.
It's hard to do, because everyone will be affected by the "reshaped world".

Slowpokeking
05.18.2015 , 10:54 AM | #162
I REALLY wish Bioware could spend more effort to improve the existing contents of this game. fix bugs, improve GF, make the achievements more meaningful, let comms become legacy than character wide and all the minor things.

Raphael_diSanto
05.18.2015 , 11:00 AM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
It's hard to do, because everyone will be affected by the "reshaped world".
This. Some people don't want to be part of an ever-changing world. GW2 tried that with their episodic content release, and I quit playing because I couldn't always be around for the episodes, and then I found out that I was locked out of content and that's no fun.

People forget that changing a game's landscape based on player actions isn't new. EQ had it, 15 years ago. After you woke the sleeper, the tomb was forever changed. I'll never get to see the inside of the original Sleeper's tomb, because on my server right as my guild were keying up to go in, a guild released him.

Frankly, as a gamer and inhabitant of that world, it really sucked.

And it would suck if they did that here, too.

The problem is that -some- people want emergent world building. But some don't. And the problem is that you can't please both camps, because - by and large - they're mutually exclusive goals. But publishing houses don't want to spend the money on an MMO and only target one of those camps. They want both.

ZionHalcyon
05.18.2015 , 11:08 AM | #164
I disagree wholesale with the MMORPG being a lost cause. Rather, I think the strictly theme park MMORPG is a lost cause.

Ultimately, the promise of this genre isn't to show up for tea and see all the china laid out ever-so-nicely at your fingertips -- it's to be the person, not just setting out all that finery, but the artisan who crafts it, the hauler who delivers it to a store, the shopkeep who sells it, and the butler who orders the footman to arrange it.

People are exhausted with riding the same rides... and the problem is, no matter how many ways you redecorate these attractions, they all manage to remain the same. Strip away the fašade, and every newcomer to the carnival is peddling the same junk booth games; proffering identical, knock-off stuffed Stewie Griffin dolls. Even worse, as time passes, content is consumed ever-faster. We've created an entire generation of burnout, under-employed mid-30s types who feast on these titles in-total in the span of a few months. How can a designer cope with that?

The MMORPG that provides players not just with the ability to visit these worlds, but to help in shaping them is going to be the "next big thing." A stagnant market isn't a dead market; it's a market waiting to be shaken up -- to be revitalized and reborn. And, at some point, someone is going to realize that instead of covetously hoarding the keys to the Mercedes, handing them off to the players is actually the crucial next step -- not just to lowering overhead, but to building a world that people will invest years upon years into, forever changing the genre as a whole.
Er, no.

Its been there with EQ, UO, and SWG, and those games are dead or on life support.

It's not going to be the next big thing, because it was the next big thing 20ish years ago.

And like people in this thread have stated, it sucked for them. It doesn't appeal to the masses. It appeals only to a niche group of gamers.

So, sorry to burst your balloon, but theme park MMOs bring in more attention, more money, and more casual gamers.

The trick now is knowing how to build a better, more immersive themepark.

DarthDymond
05.18.2015 , 11:26 AM | #165
I disagree wholesale with the MMORPG being a lost cause. Rather, I think the strictly theme park MMORPG is a lost cause. [...]

The MMORPG that provides players not just with the ability to visit these worlds, but to help in shaping them is going to be the "next big thing."
Eh, a well-done sandbox MMO would probably carve out a nice little niche for itself, with the relative derth of sandbox MMOs and the saturation of themeparks, and it could even turn an okay profit once you take the lower overhead into account. But it's not going to be the "next big thing" - while I hope Pathfinder Online and EQ Next (if it ever actually gets released) do well and genuinely scratch that 'itch' for sandbox fans, I doubt the market is there to make either one (or any other sandbox MMO) a smash hit.

The trick is finding which sandbox elements work well with a themepark foundation - things like player housing and more robust crafting don't take anything away from a themepark game, but the time / resources that go into developing them have to be weighed against the other features that would be delayed or shelved as a result. Finding the right sandbox features to integrate and a way to do so that gives the best return on investment, would be a better approach than going strictly sandbox.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

wjrasmussen
05.18.2015 , 12:21 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by Inverzee View Post
Is this game truly lost cause? without future and evolving? ( engine update newer, draw distance slider newer, increase amount of employee newer) just more and more planets??
There will never be a new engine.
A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault. ~John Henry Newman

Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten.

Code_Airwolf
05.18.2015 , 12:44 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by anantaddg View Post
More and more planets means no future? ***? Looks like a bright future to me
LOL

NASA: Our new satellite has discovered a new planet, one which actually may be able to sustain life!!!!!!
Response: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO We don't want more planets, we want more CONTENT and MISSIONS for Opportunity, and for ***** sake fix SPIRIT before you work on more planets!

Raphael_diSanto
05.18.2015 , 12:57 PM | #168
I have to admit, I don't even see why the question is important. If you enjoy the game, play it. If you don't, don't. Don't worry about its longevity. Nothing lasts forever anyway. People always worry too much about the future and not enough about the fun they can be having right now.