Dye colors

Well i've heard that black & white are rare colors, but what about dark purple? Would like to change the colors from certain chestpieces, for example the red of the Robe of Avenging Wrath and the blue/gray from Thana Vesh's chestpiece. But will Thana Vesh's armor considered lore armor?

Listen. Expect to be extorted. They said some dyes will be player made. So Assume that means less desireable colors like orange or hot pink. Assume any colors people will want like black, silver, gold, white. Will be cartel items because they want to extort the playerbase for basic features.

Listen. Expect to be extorted. They said some dyes will be player made. So Assume that means less desireable colors like orange or hot pink. Assume any colors people will want like black, silver, gold, white. Will be cartel items because they want to extort the playerbase for basic features.

Rise of the douche cartel then.

Emphasis is mine.

"Purchase a “Dye Module Kit” in the Cartel Market, or create a Dye Module through crafting. There will also be a chance to get them in future Cartel Market Packs released in the Cartel Market. “Rare” Dye Modules are also found randomly in Dye Module Kits now and in the future as part of Cartel Market Packs."

Yep, getting that color or paired color dye you want may be extremely difficult. They should have made a 2 slot system for the dyes. But then there would be far less Cartel extortion for dyes.

But will Thana Vesh's armor considered lore armor?

No, it's not in the restricted list. The only restricted armor is lore armor from the KOTOR game. Thana Vesh is part of this game....not KOTOR...and she's not posted in the restricted list on Dulfy's website Q&A with the devs.

Making colors rare is a step downhill, seriously, something players have waited for a long time and you hide them all around the galaxy? :jawa_evil:

Why would it matter? You think crafters are going to be able to make any dye color anyone would want to use? That would put a dent in cartel coin sales. Not going to happen. Nope. No way.

So don't bother with your scavenger hunt. The only possible benefit you'd get from it is if you enjoy the hunt.

My best guess for the Dye Modules would be :

Crafted Colors:

- Primary colors (Red, Blue, Green)

- Common colors already available on gear (Orange, purple, brown)

- Think common flat shades. Red as opposed to Crimson or Blue instead of Midnight Blue.

- Possibly some dual color modules (again think common color combos)

CM Colors:

- Unique single/dual colors (Varying shades of blue,green,red etc).

- Rare colors, possibly patterns (camo, scrolling etc)

- "Lore" colors (Havoc Squad colors, colors seen on other units/organizations in gamer)

CE Colors:

This is the kicker. This to me is what will define this update. If the CE colors are terrible or are available on the CM in the future I think that would signal something pretty bad for this game. To me for this to be a worthwhile addition to the CE vendor (I don't have a CE but I think this will be a good indication of their opinion towards anything that isn't making them direct sales):

- Recognizable as the CE colors

- Not because it's hideous (purple/green would be very recognizable but I don't know how many people want those colors)

- Not cost a million creds. Wouldn't be the worst thing they could do but after the CE owners waiting so long to have something new added making a measly dye pack cost a million creds would be ridiculous.

- Not because it's hideous. This is really worth mentioning twice.

- From what I understand there will be 3 packs that are exclusive to the CE/Security Key. I would hope that 1 or 2 is available to the SK and all three would be available to the CE with at the very least 1 if not 2 completely exclusive to the CE vendor.

Dye colours shouldn't be rare. As purely cosmetics they should all be equally available to anyone.

Rare in this MMO simply means it will be higher priced on the GTN as almost all this sort of thing is BoE in SWTOR.

And for the record.. in all the years I have played MMOs.. there have always been some gear dyes/dye_colors that were more desired.. and hence more rare and more costly for players.

Personally, I like that there may be some desireable dyes in /random inside cartel packs. It means lots of them showing up on the GTN and people cutting each others throats to unlist and sell pack items. I'll buy early and buy often and hoard for later use on my characters. Black and White (true black and true white) have almost always been premium and highly sought colors for gear in my experience.

Edited by Andryah

In some games, I can kind of understand having a basic dye like "black" be rare, and I completely understand having some colors be rare in general. However, my wish is that the devs will consider their own game carefully when deciding on rarity and availability. I hope they keep in mind that:

1. This is Star Wars. Loads of people play Sith. Black is not only a very desirable color in general, but is, dare I say it, an "iconic" or "classic" color for Sith, and even Jedi with darker inclinations. If our characters all dressed like Smugglers and Bounty Hunters, I could see black being a super rare dye. However, they do not.

2. Dyes are one-use, this is not GW2 where you can apply a dye endlessly once you have unlocked it.

3. It seems to me that there will not be an extensive selection of dye colors, if you consider the whole primary/secondary slot thing. Now, if "pure black" is super rare, but "abyss" and "charcoal" are not too hard to get, that is fine. But if they only have one dye module that can change your main armor color to a color that is reasonably close to black, and it is super expensive, that would be lousy.

Just my 2 cents . . . as always, I will wait until I see it in-game to formulate a proper opinion. I am actually very excited for the dye system and am more interested in colors like light blue and pink than I am in black. ;)

Edited by Gwena

In some games, I can kind of understand having a basic dye like "black" be rare, and I completely understand having some colors be rare in general. However, my wish is that the devs will consider their own game carefully when deciding on rarity and availability. I hope they keep in mind that:

1. This is Star Wars. Loads of people play Sith. Black is not only a very desirable color in general, but is, dare I say it, an "iconic" or "classic" color for Sith, and even Jedi with darker inclinations. If our characters all dressed like Smugglers and Bounty Hunters, I could see black being a super rare dye. However, they do not.

2. Dyes are one-use, this is not GW2 where you can apply a dye endlessly once you have unlocked it.

3. It seems to me that there will not be an extensive selection of dye colors, if you consider the whole primary/secondary slot thing. Now, if "pure black" is super rare, but "abyss" and "charcoal" are not too hard to get, that is fine. But if they only have one dye module that can change your main armor color to a color that is reasonably close to black, and it is super expensive, that would be lousy.

Just my 2 cents . . . as always, I will wait until I see it in-game to formulate a proper opinion. I am actually very excited for the dye system and am more interested in colors like light blue and pink than I am in black. ;)

Of course they're taking Sith and Dark Jedi into account. Why else do you think the black dyes will be the most expensive to obtain in terms of cartel coins? :eek:

Edited by DarthTHC

Sense its seems bioware hates the crafting system , i'm sure all the cool colors will be cartel only.

There there, they don't hate the crafting system. They just love money. Here, have a cookie. They're fresh baked.

It's precisely because everyone wants to be "bad-a** Sith in black" that black will be a hard to find or expensive color. It's the hardest to obtain color in LotRO as well (the crafter who makes it has to get a crit result while crafting rust-colored dye).

Edited by branmakmuffin

It's precisely because everyone wants to be "bad-a** Sith in black" that black will be a hard to find or expensive color. It's the hardest to obtain color in LotRO as well (the crafter who makes it has to get a crit result while crafting rust-colored dye).

Ah, yes, I am sure that it will be a popular dye color! I suppose what I was trying to illustrate is this:

Popular color + iconic for Sith + Star Wars game + moderate rarity = sought after and somewhat pricey

Popular color + iconic for Sith + Star Wars game + high rarity = sought after and super expensive

Sort of like how current items in the cartel packs vary greatly in price on the GTN, even if they are the same rarity. For example, you can usually find a Matriarchal chest piece for about 1000 credits on my server, but the Relaxed Uniform chest piece, which is the same rarity I believe, costs upwards of 50,000 credits. I imagine that the Relaxed Uniform top would be really expensive if it were a higher rarity!

Basically, I think that the color black will be expensive enough without having it be super rare, particularly if there is any RNG involved in obtaining it. Just my 2 credits though . . . and who knows how Bioware will actually determine dye colors rarity. I'm excited to see the system, regardless. :)

I picked up a white/white dye in the only cartel market pack I bought today and I am told that will probably be in high demand.

Also what's with the dye's being single use only? If it cost cartel coins it should be re-usable. I thought the whole customization system was founded on the realization that people make mistakes/want to make changes with regards to their characters appearance. Making dyes rare and single use is pretty unjustifiable.