Ninety Seven Percent

irishfino

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnabus Makes His Move

“It will do no good against me, child. I absorb darkness,” he sighed.

“You don’t know what true darkness is!”

“Then show me. And have an old man school you in the absolute.” The threat was evident in his voice, but that damn calm smile of his never wavered.

How is he even possible???

And he seemed so nice to start with.

Haha, a Quinn being nice. Whoops.

Heeheee.

So he's a wound in the Force.. without actually being.. a wound? I don't even know. But yay LS Jaesa is back! .. Maybe?

I'm not saying what he is just yet. :D

How is he even possible???

You'll see soon enough. :D

Thanks for reading everyone!!

The Pieces Fall Into Place

When morning had come and gone, Taub and his group of weary followers trekked single file. Jaesa followed directly behind Taub, then Barnabus, Vette, and Pierce bringing up the rear. Taub sensed the conflict in the woman behind him, if only because of her constant conversation with Malavai.

“We’re getting closer, Jaesa. I need to get back before we get too close,” Malavai’s voice echoed in her ears.

“How close is too close?” Jaesa asked under her breath.

“I won’t be able to tell until we get there and by then it will be too late. Please, Jaesa, you have to send me back.”

“If I send you back… with the Captain return or will he still be Taub?”

“How the heck should I know? I just know I need to get back and quickly.” He paused for a moment. “Hey, Taub!”

Taub immediately stopped and turned to Jaesa. The three following close behind stopped as well and watched quietly.

“Oh, good, you can hear me just fine! Listen, I need you to rebuild the pathway so I can come back.”

“No path,” Taub said quietly.

“It crumbled as I ran over it, I know. You can rebuild it.”

Taub shook his head and said, “No path.” He walked to Jaesa in three quick steps, removed his protective head gear, and kissed her full on the lips. Jaesa stiffened, her eyes widening. She felt something shake loose and rattle around in her head before exiting. She was left feeling bereft when Taub pulled back and took two steps back. She probed her mind for Malavai, but found nothing except a small hole the boy left.

“Thank you for returning him, Jaesa,” Taub said quietly.

“Captain?” she asked hopefully.

“Almost,” he replied. “I have some information to reconcile with Malavai. In the meantime, you may refer to me as Captain, if it pleases you.”

“You’re almost back to your old self,” Jaesa laughed quietly.

“I could say the same for you,” the Captain said lowly.

Jaesa blushed. “I’m sure Malavai will fill you in on that.”

“I’m sure.” The Captain shot Barnabus a look then turned and continued on his path. Everything was clearer now. No longer were there various degrees of gray, no longer did he feel the void Malavai left. All that was left to gather was Quinn and he would be whole once more.

Like a Spire in a Storm, an Idea Strikes

“Malavai!” the Captain shouted happily.

The boy turned to him and grinned, running at him as fast as his little legs could carry him. He jumped into the kneeling Captain’s waiting arms and hugged him as hard as he could.

“I thought you were gone,” the Captain sobbed quietly. “I thought I killed you and you were gone forever.”

“I told you I would come back,” Malavai murmured into the Captain’s shoulder. “I always keep my promises.”

The Captain couldn’t respond, his voice was tight with tears and emotion. He held Malavai tightly for several minutes before the boy grew antsy and started wiggling in his grip. The Captain let him go then hurriedly wiped his face of moisture. Malavai chuckled quietly.

“It’s alright, Captain,” Malavai said gently.

“I thought you died… I thought I…” the Captain trailed off.

“It’s fine, it’s fine!” the boy insisted. “I learned some things while I was away that I think will get us on the right path.”

“Alright,” the Captain said quietly.

Malavai grinned and took a few steps back. The Captain stared at him in confusion then amazement as the once small boy slowly morphed into the familiar form of the adult Captain. They looked exactly the same expect Malavai preferred the top button on his uniform jacket unbuttoned.

“Pretty cool right?” Malavai asked, his voice morphed by the instant change.

“It’s like looking in a mirror,” the Captain muttered as he climbed to his feet.

“We’re the same person, you know.”

“We are and we aren’t.”

Malavai made a frustrated gesture. “No, no more of that!” he said firmly. “We work better as one. Accept the things you cannot change. For real this time, not that lie you told in the desert. You accept me as part of you, this body disappears. You know that. You’re scared of that.”

“Of course I’m scared!” the Captain snapped. “I killed mother. I killed you. I very nearly killed Jaesa.”

“Accept these things!” Malavai said firmly. “Dwelling on them and trying to avoid the matter at hand has helped absolutely nothing! It’s time for a new approach. Together. As one. Whole. Trust me. Trust yourself.”

The Captain stared at his doppelganger with wide eyes. Of course he was right. He knew everything the Captain knew and then some from his own journey with Jaesa.

“I can’t trust myself,” the Captain muttered quietly.

“You trust me, right?”

“Of course.”

“Then you trust yourself,” Malavai said gently. “You are Malavai as much as I am.”

“We’re not the same,” the Captain said stiffly. “We separated years ago. There’s no going back.”

Malavai stepped into the Captain’s personal space and glared at him with his own eyes. The child… no, the man, was not going to back down from this.

“Malavai,” he said firmly. The Captain flinched at the use of his first time. “It’s time you accepted this. It’s time you accepted me. It’s time you accepted yourself. If you don’t, you will fall against Quinn and he will kill you.”

Malavai suddenly hugged the Captain as he was wont to do when he was in his childhood form.

“Captain,” Malavai said quietly, “I forgive you.”

Caught off guard, tears pr*ckled the Captain’s eyes. Perhaps it was time to finally let go. He had done foolish things in the past because he couldn’t trust his own instincts. He couldn’t trust himself. Deep down, he was still that scared little boy, alone in the dark crying out for help. Realization struck him like lightning during a storm in Kaas City. He gripped Malavai in a firm hug.

“Thank you, Malavai,” he said thickly. “I know what to do now.”

“I’ll always be here for you,” Malavai said quietly. “Even in your darkest hour, you are not alone.”

There was a flash, a clap of thunder, and, then, silence. The Captain looked around then patted his body and chuckled. The top button of his uniform was unbuttoned. He smiled to himself. Malavai hadn’t left. He was Malavai. He would miss his four year old analog, but, perhaps, it really was time to accept matters.

“I’m still around, Captain,” the little boy’s voice echoed through the halls. “You can’t be rid of me that easily. We’ll meet again.”

“You’re a tricky boy, Malavai,” the Captain chuckled.

“I learned from the best,” the boy laughed. “Now, go kick Quinn’s butt so we can go home.”

Captain Malavai laughed and made his way toward his command center. He left his top button unbuttoned and made plans to finish Quinn once and for all.

Edited by irishfino

Annoyed me? It takes quite a bit to annoy me and you're not annoying. I'm rather slow to reply to my inbox because: I never know it's there and I take time to think of a good response.

I'm glad the art made your day. ^__^]

Oh, delays or long lapses of time never bother me. I see your PM's are no longer blocked so left short explanation there :D

Yes, your art made my day. When you do art on the corporate level it is easy lose touch with it being fun. It's good to get a reminder.

As for the rest of this? Wow. Just wow. Barnabus saying he is darkness was a great moment for me. Woke me up better than my coffee this early morning. Then it just kept getting better!

A thought crossed my mind about Barnabus but I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see if I am right or I get blown away with another surprise LOL.

Edited by Reil

• 2 weeks later...
Go go go! :D

Oh, he's going alright. He'll be all VOOOM VOOOM SHOOTY SHOOTY PEW PEW!

Captain Malavai is going to kick ***

Like always, the Captain plus Malavai is a dynamic duo of awesome.

Yes, your art made my day. When you do art on the corporate level it is easy lose touch with it being fun. It's good to get a reminder.

As for the rest of this? Wow. Just wow. Barnabus saying he is darkness was a great moment for me. Woke me up better than my coffee this early morning. Then it just kept getting better!

A thought crossed my mind about Barnabus but I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see if I am right or I get blown away with another surprise LOL.

I'm glad you liked my art. Drawing is another hobby of mine. Wish I was better at it but I say the same thing about my writing, lol.

Barnabus is my favorite character by far. This next part will just about reveal what he is.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Stop Talking and Fight

When Captain Malavai finally tracked down Quinn it was anti-climactic to say the least. They found him in one of the many abandoned buildings on Tatooine. The floor was littered with sand and blood and bodies and tattered clothing. A quick inspection of some of the bodies revealed either dead or never activated shells for Quinn’s power. Quinn himself sat with his legs crossed in the middle of the room. The Captain signaled for the rest of the group to stay then approached Quinn.

Quinn looked up at the Captain with identical blue eyes.

“You finally found me,” the sitting man said quietly.

“It was the only outcome,” the Captain said matter-of-factly.

“Of course.”

The Captain eyed Quinn warily. He didn’t seem to have a plan, he just sat there quietly. Almost as if he were tired. He had noticed a steady decrease in the frequency of the attacks on the Sand People.

“You do realize what this is, right?” Quinn asked quietly.

“The end of you,” replied the Captain.

Quinn chuckled and shook his head. “Ask Barnabus what this is.”

“I don’t need to. The only thing I need to do is reabsorb you and finish this business and get on with my life.”

“Are you an idiot?” Quinn asked then shook his head as if he already knew the answer. “Force users cannot be cloned, even false ones such as ourselves.”

“Not with our technology. The Rakatans were an advanced race, it’s entirely possible they had the ability.”

“You’re making excuses for inconsistencies I know you’ve picked up on. Don’t you find it weird that we’re stuck on Tatooine? Wasn’t it awfully strange when you defeated Syla or blew up Jaesa only to have her survive, the only damage being to her affinity with the Force? Isn’t it a bit weird that an Imperial officer is allowed to wreak havoc with the Force and isn’t being tracked down as we speak? Stranger still, said officer is split into three personalities, two of which physically escaped his body.” Quinn paused his little speech and narrowed his eyes. “And, tell me, Captain, where are your gloves?”

“What are you saying?”

Quinn laughed bitterly and climbed to his feet. “None of this is real, Malavai.”

The Captain shook his head and pulled his blaster, placing the barrel between Quinn’s eyes.

“Your threat is real enough,” he hissed quietly. Then he pulled the trigger. Quinn’s body fell to the floor with a thump.

The Captain signaled to the group to follow him as he trekked deeper into the building. Quinn stepped from the shadows with a grin on his face and a saber hilt in his hand. The Captain matched his stance, pulling a saber hilt of his own.

“Malavai,” Quinn hissed quietly.

The Captain ignited the blade without a second thought. He was nearly whole. And no one, not even himself, would stop him from completing his mission.

Notes:

I had actually planned a big End of the Arc reveal for this, but this serves my purpose just as well. This plot point has always been in the works and was always intended to be the ending of an arc. The last use of his gloves (unless I've totally forgotten my own story which is entirely possible) was on Tatooine just before Barnabus screws with the Captain's head. The original concept was a lot stranger than this. The original plan was to have Quinn trapped in a vision on Voss before the betrayal. He would experience all these events and change his mind about trying to kill the warrior. That, of course, would completely reverse all the work I had done establishing, at the very least, his nightmares and PTSD. I scrapped that idea early on, but still ran with the dream thing. I think it's turn out better this way.

This arc should wrap up soon (within the next few posts) with the next arc starting shortly thereafter and finally, finally getting to Quinn's PTSD and starting the path to his romance with Jaesa.

Thanks for reading everyone. You're the best.

Ok, so, reread the beginning...real stopped at post #55? Wow. That's a ton of dream. Like crazy amounts of dream. I'm having trouble recalibrating all these characters to what they were at that point - Jaesa, Syla, Barnabus, the lot. Quinn, I'm sure, has changed mentally during the dream, but the rest...having trouble rewinding.

Curious to see how this plays out.

Quinn wakes up, confused. He hears Quinn crying (in his fully adult voice) in the other room. Hearing the shower running, he walks to the bathroom and opens the curtain. "Oh, hello me."

:D We've been masterfully Dallas'd.

Edited by Adwynyth

Oh, damn... I definitely did not see that coming. Eagerly awaiting more! :D

Ok, so, reread the beginning...real stopped at post #55?....

Quinn wakes up, confused. He hears Quinn crying (in his fully adult voice) in the other room. Hearing the shower running, he walks to the bathroom and opens the curtain. "Oh, hello me."

By these reactions to your last installment I feel that this once I have entirely missed something. <confuzzled>

Edited by Reil

Motherf********!!!!

*Runs back to reread!*

[grins] Sneaky sneaky.

Oh, damn... I definitely did not see that coming. Eagerly awaiting more! :D

I don't think many people saw this coming. Muahahahahaah!

Ok, so, reread the beginning...real stopped at post #55? Wow. That's a ton of dream. Like crazy amounts of dream. I'm having trouble recalibrating all these characters to what they were at that point - Jaesa, Syla, Barnabus, the lot. Quinn, I'm sure, has changed mentally during the dream, but the rest...having trouble rewinding.

Curious to see how this plays out.

There's going to be a bit of a rewind in play. You might recognize it as soon as I post it. [grinnity grin]

Ahahahahahaaah! That won't be exactly what happens (but now I want to do a shower scene... mmm Quinn [cough]).

By these reactions to your last installment I feel that this once I have entirely missed something. <confuzzled>

Essentially, everything Captain Malavai Quinn has gone through since he passed out at Barnabus' place on Tatooine has been a dream/vision/mind trip. You'll see what I mean when this bit wraps up.

dang it Fino, didn't even notice the gloves not showing up. Your killing us here :(

Your attending classes now right? How are those going?

Heeheeeheeee. I shouldn't be so delighted that no one saw this coming, but it makes me happy.

As for classes, I'm rockin' them like a rock star rocking rock classes on rock.

As always, thank you for reading and thank you for your support!

Home

Captain Malavai stared at Quinn with a firm frown. The man was obviously surprised. Who wouldn’t be with a lightsaber lodged in their chest? The strike wasn’t immediately fatal, but it definitely wasn’t comfortable.

The Captain was kind enough to deactivate his saber before pulling the hilt away. Quinn, naturally, was not kind. He struck at the Captain, but the Captain was faster with a Force push. Quinn slammed into a wall and slid to the floor, pouting all the way.

“You shouldn’t be able to do that,” he groused from his new position. “Malavai is dead. You have no connection to the Force.”

“Malavai isn’t dead,” the Captain replied tonelessly.

“Impossible!”

“If this place is as real as you say, why would I allow a part of myself to die? You are the fool here, not I. You have no excuse for the things you have done. You can try to justify your cruelty by saying none of this is real, that none of this has any bearing on the real world, but it is hollow comfort. If this is truly what you say, if this is what I think it is, then the things you have done will always be there in the back of my mind. At least now I know what will happen if you are ever set loose and I will never allow you to be free. You will not control me. You are my fear. Malavai is my hope. Barnabus is my balance and I will be whole again!”

As he talked, he moved closer to the wounded Quinn on the floor. The man stared up at him with an identical face, but eyes as wild as a cornered beast and orange as a Sith just tip toeing into the Dark Side of the Force. In this moment, he pitied him. He was the part of himself that had been forced into seclusion when he became too dangerous to be dealt with. He was scorned and stabbed and cursed and poked and prodded until he became the bitter embodiment of his pain. He could never be free, but he could be helped.

“I offer you a deal,” the Captain said quietly. He squatted to bring them to the same station. “Come back home, where you belong. Come back with me and work with me and I promise you we will heal.”

“You’ll just put me back in that room!” Quinn spat angrily.

“No,” the Captain said gently, “never again. You never belonged in there. I will never put you back in such a place. I accept you, Malavai.”

Quinn’s eyes grew wide and his jaw slackened enough to part his lips. He had never been called that before. He was always something else. A detached Quinn, a sliver, a section, a piece, but never whole. Never part of the whole.

“Come home, Malavai,” the Captain said gently.

“You won’t put me in the room?” Quinn whispered hoarsely.

“I promise you, you will never have to face such an injustice again. Come home.”

“Home?” It was a sound idea, a place to live, a place he was finally welcome. He wanted so badly to be accepted, cared for, loved, not just the bastard child of a horrific experiment. “Yes,” he said quietly. “Take me home.”

The Captain smiled and leaned in to hug his counterpart. The man in his arms released a gut wrenching sob as he slowly faded away. He was finally going home. To a place he could be whole with heart and soul.

As the newly whole Captain stood and turned, the world around him began to vanish into the ether. Jaesa faded away with a confused look on her face, Pierce and Vette had already disappeared, and Barnabus, well, Barnabus was looking pretty satisfied with himself.

“You did well, my boy,” Barnabus’ voice echoed.

“You’ve atoned for your sins, grandfather,” the Captain replied. “Perhaps now you’ll let me treat your illness.”

“Perhaps now, I’ll ask you.”

Barnabus’ voice distorted for a brief moment before the elderly man disappeared entirely. All of Tatooine turned to black and the Captain could not have felt more at home. With steps swift and sure, he made his way through the darkness and to the door he knew was there. It opened on his approach and he smiled at the familiar hallways of his mind. Little Malavai and Quinn, as the Captain would call him before giving him an official nickname, were waiting on the other side. The Captain strode forward with purpose toward the command center.

“Come along, gentlemen, we have work to do,” the Captain said stiffly.

Malavai and Quinn looked at one another and grinned. Work was always better when they worked together.

Notes:

This is tentatively the ending of the arc. The next arc/interlude will pick up in a very familiar place.

Aaah, the awesomeness... it is blinding... :D Now I'll just have to go reread the whole thing, now won't I?

Re-reading is goooooood. Now you'll know what to look out for, lol.

That was very very good. This especially:

“You won’t put me in the room?” Quinn whispered hoarsely.

gives a good deal of context to Quinn's actions. Looking forward to the next part!

Thank you, thank you. Sith!Quinn was a bit of a challenge for me to write. I wanted him to be slightly sympathetic while, at the same time, be completely insane about how he went about getting the attention he craved. I think I got the insane part down, lol.

Thanks for reading everyone!