An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Ataru

Aurbere

"Judge me by my size, do you?"- Grand Master Yoda, Master of Ataru

We continue our look at the Lightsaber forms with Ataru. Cin Drallig continues...

Form IV, also called Ataru, is the most acrobatic Form, filled with numerous elaborate moves, and relies heavily upon a Jedi's ability to run, jump, and spin using the Force. Form IV can be astonishing to watch. By incorporating all the Force powers that enable one to exceed standard norms of physical possibilities, Jedi may resemble nothing less than a blur when they utilize Form IV. Yes, it is true that Yoda is an Form IV master. Although it has been many years since Yoda has graced us with a demonstration, the Jedi Archives holds a collection of databooks that are testament to his mastery and prowess.

So what do we know about Ataru? It is an acrobatic form that emphasizes elaborate flips and wide strikes. A Jedi using Ataru can move quite fast and strike quickly. This is evident with Master Yoda's mastery of the form. The diminutive Jedi uses the speed and acrobatics of Ataru, combined with his short stature, to make up for his size and dominate Lightsaber duels.

Form IV is not without its weaknesses, however. The wide arcs Jedi make using Ataru can leave themselves open to blaster fire. Yoda makes up for this with his size and speed, but a standard Jedi is not so lucky. However, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn had mastered Ataru to the extent that he had effectively eliminated the Form's weakness to blaster fire. Form IV is also weakest in close quarters as the Form's acrobatics are neutralized. We see this in Qui-Gon's duel with the Sith Lord Darth Maul.

Overall, Ataru is a decent form that can best many Lightsaber Forms in battle. But Form's like Djem So can use their brute strength to cripple the defenses of Ataru. This requires that the Djem So user actually hit the Ataru user.

Known Form IV Masters: Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn

This is personally my favorite Form. I like the speed and agility that it provides.

You can see Soresu here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=545066

Next is Shien/Djem So

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them here or send me a message.

Well done, but if i had to pick a form, it would be shien/djem so. Which i consider the Kendo form of SW.

But like the ataru form.

Infact when luke fought vader the last time, you can see a lot of influence of Ataru in his moves.

I don't think Luke was using specificly Ataru, but I did see some Ataru moves in that duel. I don't think there were any specific Lightsaber forms during the making of the film. If I had to pick now, I'd say he was using a mix of Ataru and Djem So. Djem So seemed to come naturally to him, maybe because of Anakin...?

I like the Djem So form as well. Plo Koon was a master of it.

In my opinion Djem So and Ataru would make a good combination. You have the strength of Djem So and the mobility and speed of Ataru.

It actually would make a good combination. I think Makashi would be that combination, not sure though. I would like to see one like that though!

Edited by Aurbere

Makashi and Soresu would be a good combination as well.

Alot of Forms would be good combinations, but there might be some drawbacks to combining Forms. Like Soresu and Makashi, you might have to give up some Soresu's defenses in order to implement Makashi's finesse and Maneuverability. Or Djem So and Ataru, you would have to give up some speed in order to implement Djem So's strength.

I think the best Form, balance-wise, is Niman. It has an excellent balance of aggression, speed, and defense.

Alot of Forms would be good combinations, but there might be some drawbacks to combining Forms. Like Soresu and Makashi, you might have to give up some Soresu's defenses in order to implement Makashi's finesse and Maneuverability. Or Djem So and Ataru, you would have to give up some speed in order to implement Djem So's strength.

I think the best Form, balance-wise, is Niman. It has an excellent balance of aggression, speed, and defense.

That is true.

That is true.

Each form has its advantages. A master of all seven can be a devastating force in a duel. He would have the knowledge of each form and know how to best them. I will elaborate more on this in a future thread in this series.

Isn't Niman a difficult form to master though?

Aurbere, what do you think about the theory that Ataru originally wasn't meant as a primary style, but as an addition/completion for Soresu? A Jedi would fight with Soresu most of the fight, but switch to Ataru when he gets the chance to attack. (Later some Jedi liked Ataru so well that they made it their primary style and it became popular.)

(I got this theory from youtube, Jensaarai explained it in one of his videos:

)

Edit: And a second question: I'm wondering why Ataru doesn't seem to include many stabs/thrusts. I think they would fit an acrobatic form focused on offense quite well. Do you know the reason? (Or did I just not see them?)

Edited by Maaruin

Aurbere, what do you think about the theory that Ataru originally wasn't meant as a primary style, but as an addition/completion for Soresu? A Jedi would fight with Soresu most of the fight, but switch to Ataru when he gets the chance to attack. (Later some Jedi liked Ataru so well that they made it their primary style and it became popular.)

(I got this theory from youtube, Jensaarai explained it in one of his videos:

)

Edit: And a second question: I'm wondering why Ataru doesn't seem to include many stabs/thrusts. I think they would fit an acrobatic form focused on offense quite well. Do you know the reason? (Or did I just not see them?)

For your first question, I'm not sure. It seems plausible. We know that Obi-Wan used Ataru during his study under Qui-Gon Jinn, but switched to Soresu after Qui-Gon got killed by Maul. So it seems likely that Obi-Wan would use Ataru's offense to compliment Soresu's defense.

For the second question, Ataru focuses on broad strokes, mostly horizontal, hence the weakness to Blaster fire. These strokes usually force the opponent to angle their blades awkwardly to defend themselves. In addition to this, stabbing is not something the Jedi do in combat. I will cover that in a future thread in this series.

Something to remember in the styles guys.

Many of the moves cross throughout the styles. And many styles can flow through eachother. Many just chose to master one style so they have a focus.

But again it could be easy to flow from say Soresu to makashi, to Ataru then back to soresu depending on attacks and defense and parrying work.

Just saying.