Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do Thanaton's motives make sense to anyone?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Do Thanaton's motives make sense to anyone?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
03.18.2020 , 10:36 AM | #1
MAN Thanaton is such a hypocrite it's unbelievable. He complains about you being impure because you were a slave.... HE WAS A SLAVE! He complains and moans and wants you dead because your master was a deceptive traitor..... HIS MASTER WAS A DECEPTIVE TRAITOR WHO WAS IMPRISONED BY THE FRIGGIN DARK COUNCIL!

Then he tries to paint himself as this arch traditionalist who has to kill you because you broke traditions, then challenges you to an honor duel that he has an huge starting advantage in, then when he STILL loses that duel, he begs off all his own traditions he claims to love so much to try to save his skin.

The most hilarious part to me is when he's pleading to the Council to deal with you for him at the end and you can say that you won the Kaggath, Ravage will disparage the contest, and Thanaton decides to speak up in it's defense When he's not even willing to follow the damn rules of it to begin with! He's hardly one to talk. If he loved his traditions so much, he'd stick his lightsaber in himself for breaking so many of them.

Such an infuriating character. I hate him more than Baras, at least Baras has actual goals that make sense for his character rather than just "Lets kill this clearly powerful Sith Lord and deprive ourselves a weapon in the ongoing war with the Republic just so we can say we followed some idiotic traditions that I don't actually give two craps about anyways". He has literally no valid reasons to be SO crazy against you, it infuriates me to think about lol

Jesseriah
03.18.2020 , 11:20 AM | #2
Move your Thread to the Story+Spoiler section. Not everyone has played the SI, especially new players.
Use this Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/8gTtm9 for FREE Charaktertransfer and more!

DeVanagloris
03.18.2020 , 11:25 AM | #3
First, use the spoilers option given, op. I know the story but others may not, and you basically say everything in your post.

Second, the SI story is my favorite one simply bc it's the first one i played, and it's truly my favorite character to play, tied with the Warrior.

That being said, i agree, Thanaton just doesnt make sense as a character, there are many inconsistencies with him. Baras, Zash, hell even Skotia are well though out characters, but Thanaton just doesnt make sense, he feels like a rushed bad guy who had to be the final boss for the Inquisitor, but imo there are worse stories and characters than this one, so it's ok.
This is my referral link here:
Referral link
You can get all sort of FREE STUFF!! and GOODIES!! by clicking it, no matter you are new or returning player. You also get 7 DAYS of FREE SUBSCRIPTION!!

Void_Singer
03.18.2020 , 12:06 PM | #4
statute of limitation is up on main story spoilers people, get over it.

@OP
Thanatons motives not only make perfect sense, but they're transparent as glass.

Thanaton is every primary school bully with a secret shame to hide, ever. He craves power not because it's useful, but because he thinks it make him important. he hides behind tradition, because he does not actually have the power to enforce his will on his own, so uses it to recruit others to do it for him. He accuses others of various violations for much the same reason, to cover his own inadequacies, and reinforce his position of power against those that climb to challenge him by the same methods.

based on the the above, his mhigher motives become obvious... to maintain the appearance of importance.
If it moves, shoot it.
if it stops moving... shoot it again.
- Anonymous Mercenary

This is My Referral Link. There are many like it but this one is mine.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
03.18.2020 , 12:39 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseriah View Post
Move your Thread to the Story+Spoiler section. Not everyone has played the SI, especially new players.
Quote: Originally Posted by DeVanagloris View Post
First, use the spoilers option given, op. I know the story but others may not, and you basically say everything in your post.

Second, the SI story is my favorite one simply bc it's the first one i played, and it's truly my favorite character to play, tied with the Warrior.

That being said, i agree, Thanaton just doesnt make sense as a character, there are many inconsistencies with him. Baras, Zash, hell even Skotia are well though out characters, but Thanaton just doesnt make sense, he feels like a rushed bad guy who had to be the final boss for the Inquisitor, but imo there are worse stories and characters than this one, so it's ok.

Pretty certain that putting any thread into story+spoiler section would be like putting it inside a tomb. The main story has been out for 9 years now, and people post far worse NEWER spoilers than anything I have on a regular basis here from what I see, so I'm sorry to anyone this was spoiled for, but at some point it's your own responsibility. You can't expect to safeguard EVERY plot forevermore in case someone out there hasn't seen it, especially on the internet. Also, if you are entering a thread titled "Do Thanaton's motives make sense to anyone?" I would imagine any thinking person would be expecting story spoilers, but that's just me.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
03.18.2020 , 12:40 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Void_Singer View Post

@OP
Thanatons motives not only make perfect sense, but they're transparent as glass.

Thanaton is every primary school bully with a secret shame to hide, ever. He craves power not because it's useful, but because he thinks it make him important. he hides behind tradition, because he does not actually have the power to enforce his will on his own, so uses it to recruit others to do it for him. He accuses others of various violations for much the same reason, to cover his own inadequacies, and reinforce his position of power against those that climb to challenge him by the same methods.

based on the the above, his mhigher motives become obvious... to maintain the appearance of importance.
Nice interpretation, gives me some food for thought.

MadDutchman
03.18.2020 , 05:29 PM | #7

@OP

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I actually really like Thanaton because of the apparent inconsistencies.

People don't always have simple motives, not all bad guys are kick puppies and eat kittens because they are the bad guy.

My only disappointment is you don't get more opportunities to call our Thanaton on his BS.
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Ominovin
03.18.2020 , 06:58 PM | #8
Thanaton is a perfect example of a lot of political leaders: Make strong speeches on the importance of principles, but toss those principles aside as soon as they are even slightly inconvenient.

Also, remember that Thanaton thinks (or at least worries about the possibility) that Vash's ritual in act 1 succeeded and you are really her, which makes his desire to stop your advancement both logical and personal: If he doesn't stop you now, he figures he as good as dead, which gives him a really strong motivation to try anything...

Personally, I always hated the fact that I wasn't given the option of using my Silencers on him during the duel: Obliterate him, his troops, his buildings, his neighbors, his neighbors' neighbors, his neighbors' neighbors' neighbors, etc...

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
03.18.2020 , 10:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post

My only disappointment is you don't get more opportunities to call our Thanaton on his BS.
YES! You hit the nail on the head there. That is a massive massive disappointment. It makes it seem like even we don't notice his incredible hypocrisy

DeVanagloris
03.19.2020 , 05:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu View Post
Pretty certain that putting any thread into story+spoiler section would be like putting it inside a tomb. The main story has been out for 9 years now, and people post far worse NEWER spoilers than anything I have on a regular basis here from what I see, so I'm sorry to anyone this was spoiled for, but at some point it's your own responsibility. You can't expect to safeguard EVERY plot forevermore in case someone out there hasn't seen it, especially on the internet. Also, if you are entering a thread titled "Do Thanaton's motives make sense to anyone?" I would imagine any thinking person would be expecting story spoilers, but that's just me.
I've been told before to use spoilers when talking about vanilla class stories, both in the forums and in game. I didnt know spoilers werent needed anymore for the vanilla stories, and if it is so, i was wrong and i apologize, wasnt trying to come across as a jerk or anything.

Still, if anyone can provide the source, i'd like to read it myself.

@OP

This is in fact, a totally valid point. Other antagonists such as Baras or the Emperor are facing you several times during the whole class stories, and so i expected Zash to be like that the first time i played the story. Thanaton coming out of the blue half through made me obtuse about his motives and he simply didnt fit in the story, imo.

But this explanation makes perfect sense, and it helps me enjoy a lot more the SI story (i replay it every so often), so thanks for that. I'll definitely keep it in mind and fit it in my headcannon next time i face Thanaton.
This is my referral link here:
Referral link
You can get all sort of FREE STUFF!! and GOODIES!! by clicking it, no matter you are new or returning player. You also get 7 DAYS of FREE SUBSCRIPTION!!