So the whole community thing is kinda a joke right?

Teladis

I don't understand the logic behind it. So, I'm to make friends in hopes to get better loot?

Am I the only one that finds that wrong? Why should I force myself to make friends for something like that? If I make friends that is cool, if I join a guild its because i can put up with that people and don't mind them.

Here is another thing, when did MMO become a game about being social? I thought it was about a world to be immersed. You can be anti social and still enjoy the game play. There is crafting, and other things to do in game that should cater to all types of players.

That is one of the flaws with this game, it tries to force the whole community thing down others throat, when a community is built by the players themselves. The fact that you did not cater to all people in your world is the downfall of this game.

I don't understand the logic behind it. So, I'm to make friends in hopes to get better loot?

Am I the only one that finds that wrong? Why should I force myself to make friends for something like that? If I make friends that is cool, if I join a guild its because i can put up with that people and don't mind them.

The point of social games (and MMOs are social games) isn't to just use people to progress yourself, though that certainly happens. It's to play the game with and against other people. The loot isn't the goal, it's a by-product. The interaction and cooperation are the goal. Loot's nice, too.

Here is another thing, when did MMO become a game about being social? I thought it was about a world to be immersed. You can be anti social and still enjoy the game play. There is crafting, and other things to do in game that should cater to all types of players.

They've always been that way, though they've become less and less social as time goes by. I think it's been a big loss to the genre. Games like Everquest may not fly today, but it wasn't the loot people logged in for at all; it was the community.

A good community really is a beautiful thing in an MMO. It's too bad more people don't get to experience it.

That is one of the flaws with this game, it tries to force the whole community thing down others throat, when a community is built by the players themselves. The fact that you did not cater to all people in your world is the downfall of this game.

If you're trying to suggest that game design can't do anything to build that community, well, I completely disagree.

Edited by imtrick

Minute any MMO has forced me to group just to get progress done on my character I've ditched it. I shouldn't have to rely on anyone but myself if I want to.

Maybe you should stick to single player games then? Why would you want to play a multiplayer game if you dont want to play with other people?

Maybe you should stick to single player games then? Why would you want to play a multiplayer game if you dont want to play with other people?

Maybe you shouldn't dictate how I should play. If I don't want to group up with others I will not. If I want to I will. I like having the option and refuse to have either choice forced on me.

Agreed. There is a reason the MMO genre didn't use to be mainstream. They aren't for everybody. I've used this example before, but it's like faulting tetris for making you solve puzzles.

Maybe you shouldn't dictate how I should play. If I don't want to group up with others I will not. If I want to I will. I like having the option and refuse to have either choice forced on me.

Maybe you should pick games that fit in line with what you want to play instead of saying the game should change to what you want it to be.

But there is more to playing a multiplayer game over grouping up? I mean some people enjoy having a virtual world where if they wanted to can do things with others, but its not just about the whole community thing. Some people just don't have the time. Games should cater to them as well.

I don't understand the point of this thread.

The Old Republic is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Social and Player Interaction is one of the genre's key features.

If that's not what you wanted, then you're playing the wrong game.

Edited by Huatar

I've never played an MMO, but I'd always assumed that the Massively Multiplayer part meant that people wanted to play together.

You can imagine my shock when I asked if anyone wanted to play through the missions on Hutta together and the response was:

"I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion you're wearing your mothers makeup and wearing a woman suit made from the skins of ******* you've murdered"

(Yes, I took a picture of that message on my phone because it was so bizarre.)

The person proceeded to tell me that if I just shut up, I would be "level 7 by now" (ok?) and that I should be able to beat Hutta myself.

I guess I was wrong when I assumed that most people playing an MMO would want to play together. On other servers than that one, I've had better luck with grouping up, but still that one incidence really just surprised me.

In my opinion, it's just more to play in a group. I know for others, they just want to do it alone, but for me it's much more satisfying in a full group. And I love group conversations because they can be so unpredictable and you don't always get what you want.