Ancient Jedi with Lightsabers?

evidence_

Why are the "first Jedi Council" on Tython depicted with lightsabers? The force was discovered in 36,453 BBY and the Jedi order was formed around 25,783 BBY. But, modern Lightsabers (not protosabers) were not brought to the republic untill Naga Sadow's invasion of the Republic in 5,000 BBY. Edited by evidence_

Why are the "first Jedi Council" on Tython depicted with lightsabers? The force was discovered in 36,453 BBY and the Jedi order was formed around 25,783 BBY. But, modern Lightsabers (not protosabers) were not brought to the republic untill Naga Sadow's invasion of the Republic in 5,000 BBY.

Lore over-site, or its possible that the statues are holding sword, and another possibility is that while the statues are old, they might of been created after the invention of the lightsaber.

Like someone has already posted:

It's highly likely that the statues were constructed by a newer generation of Jedi that wished to honor their founding fathers of old. As the iconic weapon of a Jedi was a lightsaber then it's also possible that that they chose to have them hold such a weapon so that if anyone discovered the planet they would be aware that it was actually honoring a Jedi and not a Sith. Who more often than not chose to use a Sword over a lightsaber as it tended to inflict more grievous wounds than a lightsaber.

Whatever the case we don't know when every single statue was constructed on Tython so it's a rather pointless argument. No one really knows for sure besides the developers of course.

Here's why;

1. If they didn't have lightsabers in the game, the forums would be rife with; "BW, why u no put in lightsaberz?". The majority of the gaming public, and everyone else for that matter, recognize Star Wars to be people with extraordinary abilities, in epic situations, wielding lightsabers. On the other hand, the very small minority, go further into the lore and read the books, comics and whatever else. Again majority =\= minority.

So in order for this game to appeal to the masses, not just you, certain elements need to be placed in game; hence we all run around with lightsabers. Suspension of Disbelief ... I suggest you get some.

2. If we all ran around with swords and the like, you'd be playing g WoW instead.

3. George Lucas (/thread) ... When have you ever known him to adhere to his own Canon and lore?

You're in the Star Wars community now who actually take their lore seriously here you ain't in WoW no more.

That's what I meant..kinda tired though, thanks for correcting me. :)

How can you take SW Lore seriously, most of it is just made up to fit spurious things that there was no lore for when it happened (i.e. Films), or worse because 1 comic said so once.

You can argue about what's canon all you want, but seriously? Nah.

Here's why;

1. If they didn't have lightsabers in the game, the forums would be rife with; "BW, why u no put in lightsaberz?". The majority of the gaming public, and everyone else for that matter, recognize Star Wars to be people with extraordinary abilities, in epic situations, wielding lightsabers. On the other hand, the very small minority, go further into the lore and read the books, comics and whatever else. Again majority =\= minority.

So in order for this game to appeal to the masses, not just you, certain elements need to be placed in game; hence we all run around with lightsabers. Suspension of Disbelief ... I suggest you get some.

2. If we all ran around with swords and the like, you'd be playing g WoW instead.

3. George Lucas (/thread) ... When have you ever known him to adhere to his own Canon and lore?

Not to be nit-picky, but...the OP wasn't asking why there were lightsabers in the game. According to his info (and I have no idea if it is Lore-accurate or not, and don't feel like checking Wookieepedia to see, so let's just assume it is) lightabers came about some time around 5,000 BBY. The game is set somewhere around the 3,600s BBY, so well after the advent of lightsabers. He was asking why the ancient Jedi--the first members of the order from between 20,000 and 30,000 years ago--that are depicted on Tython in statues and holos and such, are shown with lightsabers.

Now, having said all of that...I for one don't care. LOL There have been plenty of reasonable explanations as for why they'd be portrayed that way. So, doesn't matter to me one way or t'other. I just feel it's fair to make sure folks actually understand what the OP was talking about, before giving responses that misread or misunderstand his point.

Just trying to help. =)

Best,

~~~~Random

EDIT: just forget what i wrote under this sentence, didnt understand the OPs post at first and thought he asked why bioware put lightsabers in game and not why the council had it.

"The first lightsabers came into being when Jedi combined advanced offworld technology with a forging ritual, learning how to "freeze" a laser beam. By the time of the Duinuogwuin Contention around 15,500 BBY, their studies and researches with this "frozen blaster" technology yielded success; they developed a method to generate a focused beam of energy that arced circumferentially back to its source, creating a controlled energy circuit and leading to the first portable high-energy blades."

"With Naga Sadow's invasion of the Republic in 5,000 BBY and the subsequent start of the Great Hyperspace War, the technological innovations pioneered by the Sith Empire were brought to the Republic and the Jedi. However, the majority of Sith forces held to the use of Sith swords, while the Jedi continued to use the protosabers, as they had not yet had time to adapt and implement these new designs. With the Sith defeat at the end of the war, modern lightsabers were adopted by the Jedi order. By 4,800 BBY they were almost universally utilized by Jedi."

shamefully taken from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

btw we are playing about 3500 BBY (correct me if im wrong on this), so lightsabers were invented already and the theory was there for over 10000 years, thus explaining the holocrons with the data in it.

Edited by Aralock

Why are the "first Jedi Council" on Tython depicted with lightsabers?

Because the makers of the art, and the game itself, have no concept of historical scope, or progression, but just go with a "Hey, that looks snazzy" approach to presentation.

It is one of the more disappointing aspects of most mass market media.

A film about the real past is highly likely to have massive inaccuracies. Unless the early Jedi were also film and photography buffs, even holo recordings would likely be re-enactments. If we all got together to do a low budget re-enactment of the battle of Hastings, historians could rip it to pieces for its inaccuracies.

Why are the "first Jedi Council" on Tython depicted with lightsabers? The force was discovered in 36,453 BBY and the Jedi order was formed around 25,783 BBY. But, modern Lightsabers (not protosabers) were not brought to the republic untill Naga Sadow's invasion of the Republic in 5,000 BBY.

Did anyone else hear this in their heads as being accompanied by a nasally lisp?

Just thought i'd mention the first lightsabers were actually just a hilt with a cable going to a power pack on belt and they were around at 5000 years BBY the newer sabers as are commonly though of that have a power crystal in them to make them independently powered (not needing a powerpack and cable going to hilt on your belt) were invented about 4000-3000 years BBY their not actually sure when it was invented. However you are correct in the sense tthat the holograms from baefore the republic shouldnt have modern sabers they should have the ones with a powerpack on belt.

Just thought i'd mention the first lightsabers were actually just a hilt with a cable going to a power pack on belt and they were around at 5000 years BBY the newer sabers as are commonly though of that have a power crystal in them to make them independently powered (not needing a powerpack and cable going to hilt on your belt) were invented about 4000-3000 years BBY their not actually sure when it was invented. However you are correct in the sense tthat the holograms from baefore the republic shouldnt have modern sabers they should have the ones with a powerpack on belt.

In my OP I did actually distinguish between protosabers (the ones with cables) and modern lightsabers. The holos in the game portray modern lightsabers.

Also, just so we are clear I was talking more about the holos than the statues which are supposed to be actual recordings.

As for it being an oversight. A Few years out I could understand. Even a few hundred. But, 20,000 years? That is a massive oversight!

Edited by evidence_

Here's why;

If Lucas did anything other than cash his checks from SWTOR, this game would look like this:

Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans

Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans

Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans Gungans ...