Are free respecs messing with PvP?

MelliMelon

Marauder specs rage for VS, carnage for CW and HB....

Jug specs tank for VS defense, DPS for offense, tank for huttball...

Yeah... some AC's get screwed but I think over all... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. And it ain't broke.

The list can go on and on... def makes the matches more interesting and adds a new level to the game.

the only map it effects really is VS and it will make group make up more important = less teams qing ranked because they dont have right comp on

all im getting at

I love the ability to respec according to group comp and WZ type. I'm running powertech tank now in HB, and it's a blast.

I'd argue that it's great for snipers and mara's too. Going engineer on defense in VS is very useful, and having carnage for HB and the opener of Alderaan is great.

I also agree that it rewards the best players. Those who can effortlessly switch roles are benefitting the most from this change.

It's certainly kept things fresh as of late.

Just wondering the PvP community's thoughts on this. It is not unheard of to have people respec to tank hybrid/healing specs during the phase switch on voidstar, or if they capture a node in CW or NC, not to mention all the people respeccing for huttball. I feel like this negatively impacts gameplay, but I have done it myself as well, and see the lure of it, especially in a bad pug.

Do you find it to be a problem? In ranked? In normals? Should BW do something about it (like disable respecs after the start of a match? Some other thing?)

and here we go again..swtor community yet again proving how bad it is...

yes lets eliminate any trace of competitive pvp

yes lets not give poeple a chance to have optimal specs depending on the wz making it more competitive...

having a brain to understand advantages is totally op..NERF

This feature is something that further separates the men from the boys.

Both teams have access to it, and it is obviously intended to be allowed. You could always do this before, it just cost money.

It doesn't break PvP, it enhances it.

Agreed. As a general principle of game play, every time you add a chance to make a good/bad decision (e.g. whether to respec in WZ and what spec to choose) you add skill to the game.

I've been too lazy to do this yet. My personal preference would be to allow respec before entering the field of play (i.e. in the box but before the match has begun) but not during play (e.g. halftime in voidstar).

There are arguments for both approaches. Not allowing respec after entering the WZ means you must balance the needs of offense and defense within a single spec. If one system (allowing or not allowing after entering WZ) results in more varied specs being used then I think that system would be best. E.g. If allowing respec at Voidstar halftime results in all guardians playing the same tank spec on defense and the same smash on offense while the other system results in more varied specs being used then the other system is better (again, IMO).

All in all, Bioware has far bigger fish to fry than this respec issue. E.g. give us

• season 1 of rated war zone!!?!?! :eek:.
  • cross server queuing and a retarded (rather than brain dead) match making algorithm
  • making more advanced class specs playable in rated WZ PvP (e.g. DPS commandos)

Edited by funkiestj

One of the big reasons I recently rolled Commando was because of the free field respecs.

I often switch between DPS and heals, depending on what is needed, and will switch mid-game if I have to, or even multiple times in a single game. You can't switch gear or specs while in combat, so this isn't an "exploit" or taking advantage of the system as some of the detractors have stated. Working as intended.

This is looks like cheat and great advantage before pure dps classes :rolleyes:

Well, to use an example, I find that a Saboteur gunslinger is incredibly useful on Voidstar defense, but often I switch to Dirty Fighting on offense for its tank-killing capabilities.

Edited by Jenzali

Here is what I see as the worst case scenario. In ranked, some team compositions will have 8 fixed players, meaning each player will play one build. Other compositions will have maybe 6 fixed players, and 2 players that can change as needed to accommodate different teams or warzones. I think this creates some competitive imbalance.

This unfairly creates a stronger need for certain classes solely based on their ability to change specs. The new bar for playing at the highest level becomes farming 2 sets of gear, which is unpleasant. I think if full dual speccing, or spec profiles were added to the game, the illusion that this wouldn't be a problem would be lifted.

With that said, this is a legit tactic right now, have fun.

Here is what I see as the worst case scenario. In ranked, some team compositions will have 8 fixed players, meaning each player will play one build. Other compositions will have maybe 6 fixed players, and 2 players that can change as needed to accommodate different teams or warzones. I think this creates some competitive imbalance.

This unfairly creates a stronger need for certain classes solely based on their ability to change specs. The new bar for playing at the highest level becomes farming 2 sets of gear, which is unpleasant. I think if full dual speccing, or spec profiles were added to the game, the illusion that this wouldn't be a problem would be lifted.

It is not a "problem", only people are lazy to not want two gearsets. It's ok to require 1 gearset to be competitive but not two? Explain.

Full dual speccing does currently exist. It's called free field respec. You're just asking for a 30 second shortcut.

Would say it has one definitive positive effect in normal wz. It allows you to sometimes turn what would otherwise be a very imbalanced team into a balanced one.. allowing you to remove one of the negative effects of having partially random teams in normal.

It does benefit some classes though more than others which is not really fair… For assassins the option does almost 0, for jugs its huge… I did not think its possible but would say rage jugs got buffed again in this last patch… What would normally be Jug smasher players can now respect to tank on voidstar defense and huttbal and what would usually be jug tank players can respect to smash on voidstar offense. Can even see the situation happening in ranked where you determine you don’t have enough dps to take a node back and opt to respec one of your tanks to dps… on alderaan jugs will probably be able to do it at no cost on the speeder right down every time they swap offense/defense. The possibilities are endless.. am sure there are more ways to abuse respecs intragame yet to be discovered..

Really just want to know at this point from bw if its permanent or restrictions around respecing are going to be made.

Not gonna be a problem with 1.6. The grind is gone.

Well I'm kind of on both sides of this. I loved Rift back when there were many great specs for pvp and I would switch them frequently. Rift was great in this way and really it helped pvp more than anything.

In swtor its a little different. With the current gear imbalance, lack of premade matching, and with the way tanks and healers can work together switching to a tank spec can be pretty bad at times. With only 8v8 then this is much harder to overcome than it was in rift.

I see that it definitely does cause some problems but overall I like more choices and I think if premade matching is put into place then this issue won't be bad at all. It is great in ranked for example.

I've played at least 25 ranked games since the introduction of free respecs for subscribers (likely more) and from what I've seen it's largely been a non-issue. Both sides tend to have players able to switch to tank/heals for the defense phase of Voidstar and usually both sides have those players do just that. As such, the potential advantage free respecs might give to one side has, it least from my experience, largely been negated because both sides are taking advantage of it.

Moreover, because you aren't certain which WZ you will get, the usefulness of pure DPS classes is still there. It's generally not wise to take, for example, 4 Sages/Sorcs into a ranked match just because they can DPS and heal, as you might run across a team full of lolsmashers who would likely make short work of such a team. I played four ranked matches yesterday and in each there were still Sentinels/Marauders, Snipers/Gunslingers, etc.

I do it all the time as well. My juggernaut can go from full min/maxed rage or vengeance with 19k hp to an immortal/vengeance hybrid (i like the 27/12/x) with 26.3k hp for huttball or defense. I have got the switch down to like 15 sec including switching all the gear, rearranging my hotbars, and clicking all the buttons.

I don't think its that bad as everyone can do it but it certainly does favor us that have played more and have been able to acquire multiple sets of gear. That said, i think it should be removed from rateds but kept for normals. When half your group can be a pug, being able to respec to a useful/non-plentiful role goes along way for making the match less frustrating.

Pretty much this

Except in rated you should be able to change until the match starts, I like the idea of tailoring specs to maps/comps but you can't do that effectively until you know which map you are playing. Changing in the middle of the game is borderline unfair.

For example as a sorc I see a previously tanky but harmless jug running at me and say "i have time no rush but a jug is here to my team snow will be fine till we cap mid"

Turns out he went full rage spec and popped on his power heavy gear while he was away and just smashed me for a little under half my health and is now force choking me. **** hits the fan because I have no clue what I'm fighting. Very annoying. Granted I should probably notice when his health pool goes down. But with buffs/endure pain who knows whats going on.

Or the reverse of me and a team mate knowing there is only one defender snow, a rage jugg. Turns out he respecced and put on gear with defensive mods just to watch the cap. Sure he could switch his gear before the change but now he can switch into a tank spec which gives him the ability to generate rage while simply taking dmg, increasing his ability to stall by a lot. And puts our team at a disadvantage trying to pick on teh talkiest target in the game

This is the problem with in game re specs. Knowledge you glean from facing your opponent early in the match becomes borderline irrelevant.

Not a huge issue but I would welcome a change

Edited by Mookind

A "cheat"? Really?

I play a pure DPS clsas, and I don't mind. Yes, respec isn't as useful for marauders and snipers. ("I will kill people in different ways! BWAHAHA!") But ultimately, PVP is a team-based game, and you will be as advantaged from teammates switching roles as you would be switching yourself.

What are you smoking? Sniper MM, Engineering, lethality are all differen animals designed to kill different classes. I had enough games before the free repecs when i switched to leth only to end in a game against 5 sorc healers. Or go MM and end up against 4 tanks. We however dont have to worry about gear, we only have one set.

It elevates gameplay.

no reason to get stuck in a warzone with a build thats not ideal.

A team has no healers, become one.

A team has too many healers, dps.

No tanks guarding healers? itank.

too many tanks, not enough dps, ikill.

More variety, more fun.

If they put A DECENT MATCHMAKING based on classes that queue, like striving to get at least a balanced amount f dps healers and tanks, this WZ respeccing would not be necessary.